Australian Meat Pies

by Andie Mitchell on June 15, 2010

The second country in the lineup of World Cup themed dinners: Australia. It took everything in my power not to slather Vegemite on toast. And Daniel might have blocked his ears after a while, but I know I got in at least a half dozen “G’day!’s” before the sun went down. I also may have unintentionally moved our relationship from soulmates to just “mates.” An unfortunate side effect of me playing Steve Irwin for the day.

Blokes and sheilas aside, though, you’re here for dinner. On the menu: Australian meat pies. Savory beef sauteed with onions, garlic, and herbs in a rich brown gravy, neatly tucked inside a buttery crust. These hand held pies are iconic Aussie fare, and I can see why. One bite into the creamy beef pockets and I was in a state of taste bliss. I’d liken them to calzones, but with a more delectable dough. A flaky, golden puff of pastry. I imagine cheese would make them even tastier.

Australian Meat Pies

(makes 4 palm-sized pies)

• 1 sheet of puff pastry (from a standard pkg of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry)
  • 8 oz raw ground beef
  • ½ cup minced onion
  • ¼ cup minced celery
  • ¼ cup minced carrots
  • 1 TBSP minced garlic
  • 1 tsp oregano
  • ¼ tsp each salt and pepper
  • dash nutmeg
  • ¼ cup ketchup
  • 1 tsp dijon mustard
  • 2 tsp soy sauce or worcestershire sauce
  • ½ cup beef broth
  • 1 ½ TBSP all-purpose flour
  • 3 TBSP water
  • 1 egg, beaten

Preheat the oven to 350°. Heat the oil in a large pan set over medium heat. Add the onions, celery, and carrots. Saute for 1 minute.

Add the garlic and ground beef. Stir to break the beef into crumbles. Cook for about 2-3 minutes, until the beef is just beginning to brown.

Add the salt, pepper, and oregano.

Stir in the ketchup, dijon mustard, soy sauce, and broth.

In a small bowl, whisk together the flour and water until smooth.

Pour into the pan and stir. Cook until the liquid has thickened into a gravy.

Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.

Lay the puff pastry on a clean work surface and cut into quarters.

Place them on a baking sheet lined with parchment, leaving one inch of space between each one.

Spoon the meat evenly among the pastry squares, mounding it near one of the bottom corners so that you can easily fold the pastry over to form a triangle.

Using a pastry brush, lightly paint the edges of the pastry with the beaten egg. Pull the pastry over the beef mixture and press to seal the edges into a triangle. Crimp the edges by pressing the tines of a fork gently into the dough.

Brush the tops of the pastry triangles with a light coating of egg. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the pastries are golden brown and puffed.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman June 15, 2010 at 6:38 am

These look really good. When I was living in New Zealand, there were meat pies all over, but they never looked like this. If they had, I’d have tried one. They remind me of Pepperidge Farm apple turnovers. Mmm.

Trish October 17, 2011 at 9:53 am

There is a reason that the meat pies you saw in New Zealand and even those in Australia do not look like this and that reason is that this is NOT a true Aussie Meat Pie.

Maryellen June 15, 2010 at 6:59 am

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! Those are unbelievable. Your recipes are amazing.

Sophie @ yumventures June 15, 2010 at 7:06 am

When I was in Australia I ate about a dozen meat pies (in 9 days, which is saying something!). They ARE delicious. Though I couldn’t admit that they are as delicious as Cornish Pastys (which are, essentially, the same thing, but one is British and therefore better in my book :) ) They also have a tradition of floating a meat pie in a bowl of pea soup. I didn’t try that, but might be great for leftovers! Though you probably don’t have any, since these look so amazing.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday June 15, 2010 at 8:47 am

Wouldn’t it get all soggy in a bowl of soup? I think part of the deliciousness is the flaky crust.

Trish October 17, 2011 at 10:19 am

Actual this is more in line with “pie floaters”….

The Meat Pie is very common (and very self-explanatory). It’s a small pie (usually about 4″ (9cm) in diameter) filled with ground beef, gravy and covered with “tomato sauce” (which is very similar to ketchup, but not quite as sweet). It is served at “tuckshops” (school canteens) or eaten mainly as a takeaway food. Meat Pies can also be served on a bed of “mushy” peas or mashed potatoes. This is called a “pie floater.” Meat Pies are very popular at sporting events and on construction sites. Generally speaking, it would be very difficult to find an Australian male who disagreed with the sentiment that Meat Pies are about as Australian as you can get.

Amy @ Second City Randomness June 15, 2010 at 7:20 am

I love that you got into character while cooking… I would have done the same- although my australian accent most likely needs serious work.

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life June 15, 2010 at 7:30 am

You make the most amazing looking (and I’m sure tasting!) food!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers June 15, 2010 at 8:56 am

My husband would cry/dance/kiss you if you made him those. I think his two favourite words are ‘meat’ and ‘pie’. Bless you for this recipe…it is printing as I type! I bet ground lamb would work really well in them too.

Kelly June 15, 2010 at 9:21 am

Oh those look really good!!! :)

Cindy June 15, 2010 at 9:49 am

Oh I just happen to have everything (save the dough) on hand. Plus a hungry teenager is home now!

THAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANK you. I am calling hubs right now to get him to take out the beef.

I bet you could fill these with anything!
xoxox

Patricia June 15, 2014 at 5:56 pm

I’m doing my own spin of this right now with a quick-crust. Just flour and baking soda mixed then sprinkled over top then slices of butter spread over that. If you don’t hear back, it was awesome.

Kelly June 15, 2010 at 10:00 am

Yum, those look so good!

Madeline - Greens and Jeans June 15, 2010 at 10:13 am

My little brother practically lived on meat pies when we lived in England! These look to die for!

runnerforever June 15, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Those look like a cross between a entree and a pastry, I think my dad would love them!

Heather (Where's the Beach) June 15, 2010 at 2:21 pm

Ok, so I don’t eat meat, but these could so easily be made vegetarian. Yum.

The Candid RD June 15, 2010 at 2:42 pm

I love that you are cooking according to the World Cup! Great idea. So these are Australian?? They look amazing. Good for you for doing all that work instead of taking the easy way out :)

cozydelicious June 15, 2010 at 2:56 pm

These little pies look so tasty! Rich and buttery and yummy. How fun to cook along with the world cup!

Lulu June 15, 2010 at 3:18 pm

Wow those look so delicious!

Can You Stay for Dinner June 15, 2010 at 3:19 pm

Thanks!

simplyshaka June 15, 2010 at 9:21 pm

OMG meat pies sound terrific!!!!!

Leah @ Why Deprive? June 15, 2010 at 10:25 pm

Seriously, I think you need to come here and cook for me!! :) Those look amazing!

kim June 16, 2010 at 8:26 am

Now i know why i have always wanted to go there, these look INCREDIBLE!

foodiefresh June 16, 2010 at 9:22 am

I don’t think I’ve ever met an American who likes vegemite! I’d much rather try your Australian meat pie.

Meg June 16, 2010 at 10:03 pm

I love your go get em attitude towards trying new recipes! These look so delicious!

Raymundo Witcher June 18, 2010 at 5:42 pm

Beau Ziego

RainyDaisy August 27, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Oh…my….

I don’t think I would have ever tried these if you hadn’t made it so simple. Thank you!

cheers!
Daisy

Can You Stay for Dinner August 29, 2010 at 7:04 pm

Thanks, Daisy! I hope you liked them!

Annette November 11, 2010 at 6:57 am

This is an insult to true aussie meat pies, dont call it what it not, this is NOT A AUSSIE MEAT PIE.

Can You Stay for Dinner November 11, 2010 at 7:00 am

Hi Annette, I’m sorry, I don’t mean to offend anyone with the meat pies. I did my best to make a pastry filled with meat that was inspired by Australia during the World Cup, and I did try to research different recipes. I’d love to try a more authentic one, though! Any recipes you could share?

Trish October 17, 2011 at 10:32 am

While I appreciate that your recipe looks delicious and I’m sure it’s very tasty, it just is not authentic. Here is a recipe that I found online that may help you understand the difference. It is made by a lady in Brisbane, AU. Try it. :)

Shane June 5, 2013 at 11:13 am

Hi Trish, no idea why you are fussing so much. I just looked at the link recipe you posted. The ingredients are almost the same the cooking time quite a bit longer. In my opinion the cooking process which Andie does above is explained very well. I prefer that she uses beef broth instead of shop bought stock cubes and her method of thickening is also better. There is very little difference. And before you ask your next question, yes I have had pies in Australia, the best I found was close to Gold Coast.

Trish October 17, 2011 at 10:09 am

I agree, Annette. A true Aussie Meat Pie is made using pie crust for the bottom layer and the puff pastry is used for the top only. Also, a true Aussie Meat Pie is made with minced (chopped very fine) beef or lamb along with mushrooms, onions, or a variety of other ingredients which determine the final outcome of a specific flavor of Aussie Meat Pie. There is also a richer, thicker gravy to make the pie more moist, flavourful and delicious. I am not saying that this meat turnover is not tasty. What I am saying is that it is NOT a true Aussie Meat Pie and for those of us who have had the real thing…. there is no comparison at all. They are one of the first meals, along with a scrumptious latte that my husband (from Melbourne, AU) and I look forward to after arriving in AU and the best ones are from the local bakeries. We have discovered only one TRUE Aussie Meat Pie establishment in the United States so far and it is run by two expatriates. Their website can be found at: http://www.australianbakerycafe.com/ for those who may be interested in checking it out. They do sell and ship real Aussie Meat Pies along with many other Australian favorites. Just to let you know, I am not affiliated with them in any way except that while in the USA this is where I order them when I am too tired to make them myself.
PS – I’ve never known any American so far that doesn’t love them and yes, there are even vegetarian ones available.

Alex Anton May 20, 2011 at 7:00 am

Can this pie get even better?
The olive oil will assure a profund and long lasting taste and combined with parsley, will do for a wonderful dish.
Mushrooms are protein rich, just the right food for sports.
I could cook it under steam, or with a pan, of course, not a teflon pan, as teflon is toxic if over heated…but non the less, great recipe.
I will, for sure make this recipe tomorrow morning, and will let you know how that goes.

claudia August 20, 2014 at 7:19 am

Nice looking pastries, but why are you calling them Aussie meat pies when they’re not? Celery, oregano, mustard – all not aussie. Even the shape and pastry aren’t right at all. Don’t mind riffs on recipes but this just isn’t aussie :(

boutique dress up September 14, 2014 at 11:51 pm

Glitter pumps are flattering and will draw attention to your entire look, as will a
nice pair of flats. Colors reflect our moods so I guess that is why fashion matters to us.
Social media marketing tool is an effective one in order to promote celebrity dresses.