Spicy Chicken and Bell Pepper Pasta

by Andie Mitchell on July 1, 2010

Dearest Sir and Ma’am who enjoy cuddling on my street corner,

I get it. You’re smitten. Lovebugs, even. But for my innocent eyes, and those of the small children simply trying to scoot by, I’ll kindly ask you to step to the side as you tickle eachother’s exposed bellies publicly at 6pm.

I apologize for any inconvenience, as I imagine this request hinders your ability to profess your lovebuggery status to the rest of the Seattleites. Please know that I’m absolutely thrilled to know that you, sir, are ticklish and giggly when touched on your belly, but perhaps it would be more special if done behind closed doors? Just a thought. I realize your lady friend may not agree.

Wishing you a lifetime full of belly tickles and ear nibbles in the privacy of your own love box.

Fondly,

Andrea

Just a matter of business to take care of before dinner. I hope you’ll excuse me.

Speaking of dinner, I really do wish I had a proper recipe to share with you, but truthfully this pasta dish was one of those “Let me just throw this all in a pot and see what happens.” And though it may look somewhat involved, it’s more of a Sandra Lee “semi-homemade-style-meal.” A good one at that.

In my slow cooker, I mixed 3/4 lb of boneless skinless chicken tenderloins with a standard size jar of hot salsa, 1 TBSP cumin, 1 TBSP chili powder, and 2 tsp smoked paprika. I let that cook on high for 4 hours, until the chicken was tender enough to be easily pierced with a fork.

I then cooked a pot of rotini pasta and simultaneously steamed one bag of frozen, sliced, tri-color bell peppers. I drained both and added them to the chicken and sauce in the slow cooker, along with 1 cup of black beans and 3/4 cup shredded monterey jack cheese. Stirred to combine and served immediately, garnished with fresh chopped scallions! About 4-5 servings in all.

I suggest adding a dollop of sour cream, just because.

What’s your favorite semi-homemade meal?

Or, more importantly, what’s your stance on outrageously inappropriate public displays of affection? Need me to write a letter to them?

MelissaNibbles July 1, 2010 at 10:21 am

Once I dig out my CrockPot from my move, I’m making this!

Erica July 1, 2010 at 10:25 am

Great dish. I am the same way with pasta (what do I have in the fridge/cabinet that would make for a delicious meal??). Nom Nom. Ummm on PDA- a hug or hand holding is cool. Maybe a light peck. Anything beyond that….keep it behind closed doors peoples

lisaou11 July 1, 2010 at 11:05 am

your meals are always SO good. I cant wait to start making them in about a month when I move and have a nice new kitchen.

And even though you just “threw” this together, it looks great!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 1, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks, Lisa!!

Cindy July 1, 2010 at 10:50 am

99% of all my dinners/meals are a mish -mosh of whatever I need to use up and what sounds good. I don’t have a favorite…except the ones that make everyone happy and don’t involve drive thurs.

the other 1 or 2 percent of the time are probably YOUR recipes and they are always hits! so Thanks for that!

and 99% of the time love bugs out in public don’t bother me unless it’s getting heated and my kids are with me. They are normally 16 year olds walking home from school. It makes me smile, remembering those oh so young love days.

it’s typically pretty innocent. It’s sweet.

Ameena July 1, 2010 at 3:55 pm

I am with Cindy when I say that almost all of my meals are pulled together in about 5 minutes based on what I have in the fridge! Your recipes and photos are always so perfect…I am really in awe of your talent. :)

M.J. Jacobsen July 1, 2010 at 5:43 pm

I make a turkey sausage, potato, onion, green pepper skillet thing we call “old school” for some reason. I’ve been making it for years when I have to get dinner on in a hurry……it doesn’t hurt to put mozarella cheese over it either!
As far as PDA’s I have to laugh at the peeps that think no one is looking! Jeesch!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 1, 2010 at 5:55 pm

M.J., “Old School” sounds delicious! I love how creamy and mild mozzarella is.

Leah @ Why Deprive? July 1, 2010 at 6:17 pm

I am NOT a fan of PDA. I mean, Im not a total prude, if you want to hug or kiss a little whatever. But what is with these people that think its ok when theyre full on making out in the middle of the street? You like each other – I get it, but seriously . . . ick.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 1, 2010 at 6:22 pm

HA HA HA. I do hate public displays of affection, too. And I hate when couples sit on the same side of the booth at a restaurant. Hate it, hate it, hate it!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 1, 2010 at 6:40 pm

Oh god, the same side-booth sitters are outrageous to me. When I was a waitress I would be like, “…umm…you sure you don’t want to spread out for the 45 minutes you’re here?”

Shanna, like Banana July 1, 2010 at 6:27 pm

My mexi pasta is delish and was a total trial and error!

greensandjeans July 1, 2010 at 9:25 pm

I don’t mind PDA until it gets to the dry humping stage. Then we have a problem.

Can You Stay for Dinner July 1, 2010 at 9:27 pm

Haha, so true!

Sophie @ yumventures July 2, 2010 at 6:53 am

I love meals that you can just “throw together” and they come out almost gourmet!