Spiced Lamb Burgers with Mint Yogurt Sauce

by Andie Mitchell on July 6, 2010

I just began eating lamb in Iceland this past December. Seven months later, you’d have sworn I was in utero looking like Pebbles with a lamb shank. Minus the red hair.

A juicy lamb burger with bright notes of parsley, chopped scallions, garlic, curry, and cumin, pan-fried and topped with creamy mint yogurt sauce and crunchy red cabbage. Such a happy marriage of flavors.

In other news, tomorrow I’m flying to Las Vegas for the World Series of Poker. Daniel plays in the tournament every year and I…well…I lie in the sun. And pretend to be Doug in “The Hangover”- semi-successful on that front. The first time I went to Vegas was my senior year of college. Daniel, Justin, and another of our guy friends, me, my sister, and our best friend, Sabrina. Essentially the cast of “Friends” but much more obscene. It was such a fun trip. And oddly enough, none of us quite operates under the notion of “What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas,” so we’ve got a trash bag full of tales to tell and retell and then tell again. Bless our children.

We’ve gone to parties at Pure, the Palms, and Tao, visited most of the casinos, stayed at Caesar’s Palace, the Rio, and now the Venetian. Lots to do in Vegas. I think the key to avoiding that feeling of “I’m unclear as to whether that woman in front of the Tropicana is actually a gentleman”  and “Hey, is that a scantily-clad thirty-something or a prostitute?” is to take Vegas for what it’s worth. In all reality, it can be a very swanky place. Lots of luxury and even grandeur. There are beautiful casinos, five-star hotels, pools, and most importantly, some of the best restaurants in the country. It seems like every celebrity chef has opened a bistro or a lounge in the City of Sin. And the weather, as far as I’m concerned, is sublime. Hot, hot, hot, but without humidity. Gives me a chance to take off my semi-permanent wool socks for a minute.

I’m thrilled to be going this year because Daniel and I always have the best time. We’ve got tickets to Cirque de Soleil “O” on Friday night. Last year we saw “The Beatles: Love” and, for lack of a better word, loved it. I’ll be blogging throughout, so keep your fingers crossed that I come back without a shaved head, 2 1/2 Chinese symbols inked on my neck and forearm, and a marriage license. All very possible. But in a worst case scenario, here are my hopes: that I would look half as good with no hair as Demi Moore did in “G.I. Jane,” have 2 1/2 tattoos of symbols that actually mean what I intend them to (one being “cookie monster” and the other- “friend to dogs”), and Leonardo DiCaprio as my husb… you get the picture.

Have you been to Vegas? Did you like it?

For the Lamb Burgers (makes 1 burger)

• 4 oz fresh ground lamb
  • 1 TBSP minced scallions
  • 1/2 TBSP minced fresh parsley
  • 1 tsp minced garlic
  • dash each-  salt, pepper, cumin, curry powder, cayenne pepper

For the Minted Yogurt Sauce

• 2 TBSP greek yogurt
  • 2 tsp minced fresh mint
  • dash each- salt, pepper
  • pinch garlic powder

Combine all burger ingredients in a bowl and mix well with your hands.

Form into a patty and grill for about 5 minutes per side. You can also pan fry them with a teaspoon of olive oil for about 6 minutes per side.

In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt sauce ingredients and refrigerate for 10 minutes to let the flavors blend. Serve on top of your freshly grilled burger.

actorsdiet July 7, 2010 at 1:30 am

have fun in vegas! i don’t really like the town b/c i don’t 1. drink 2. gamble but i DO love the great food and the super cheap hotels this time of year. my hubby and i will probably try to do another trip mid-week if we can to take advantage of the specials. here’s a recap of our trip last year this time:

Sophie @ yumventures July 7, 2010 at 6:46 am

These burgers look amazing! I am completely addicted to lamb, but I’ve never made lamb burgers. I think that is a must for this summer!

I’ve never been to Vegas, but I am dying to go. Though Z is afraid to take me there due to your same potential shaved head/tattoo/husband events. I hope you have a wonderful time!!

Courtney July 7, 2010 at 7:05 am

Have a blast in Vegas!!
I’m actually heading there for the first time at the end of August. I’m going with my hubby, along with about 14 others – it’s a combined bachelor/bachelorette party for one of my friends who’s getting married in October. So, like you, I’m hoping to come back without any “Hangover” re-enactments. :)

Can You Stay for Dinner July 7, 2010 at 8:16 am

Wow- that big group of you sounds like it will be so much fun! I’m jealous! Wish I was going to be there the same time!

Kelly July 7, 2010 at 7:46 am

I love lamb…so good! My husband will eat this up!!! Awesome! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 7, 2010 at 8:20 am

I don’t like Vegas very much, does that make me boring? I’m not a fan of gambling and I hate the heat. If you don’t see a show there’s not much to do there besides eat!

I went to the new Cirque de Soleil in Montreal last week– it was my first Cirque de Soleil experience ever and I was mesmerized.

Can You Stay for Dinner July 7, 2010 at 8:28 am

You’re right about Cirque- it’s totally entrancing while you’re there. Vegas isn’t for everyone. I hate gambling too- I’m way too cheap to let go of even a quarter!

greensandjeans July 7, 2010 at 9:03 am

Vegas kind of skeeves me out, but I do love the shopping!

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 7, 2010 at 9:15 am

Have fun in Vegas!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 7, 2010 at 7:20 am

Honestly, if anyone other than Demi can pull off a shaved head…

Enjoy Vegas! Get all scandalous and then come back and tell us about it. I’m not the Vegas kinda girl, but I hear the food is good. And I might be persuaded to go to see Circle du Soleil. I saw one show years ago and loved it. Can’t wait to hear how it was.

theprocessofhealing July 7, 2010 at 9:29 am

Those burgers sound great! I may try that with chicken or turkey.
Have fun in Vegas!

Shanna, like Banana July 7, 2010 at 9:47 am

Have fun in LV! Find your own wolfpack ;)

Cindy July 7, 2010 at 10:04 am

gosh it’s been years since I’ve been, and my hubs has never…so we are talking!

can’t wait to hear all about it.

I was pregnant the last time I had lamb and i got sick (pregnant)…so I would love to try that. Time to scout out some ground lamb now!!

Leah @ Why Deprive? July 7, 2010 at 10:27 am

Ive never had lamb before, but you make everything sound so good that I just may try it. :)

I’ve been to Vegas once, but I was like 12 so its not really the same.

Lily @ Lily's Health Pad July 7, 2010 at 11:13 am

I’ve never been to Vegas, but I’d be interested in going for the shows. The one time I gambled at Monte Carlo, me and the slot machines just didn’t get along that well!

Michelle July 7, 2010 at 12:55 pm

We go to LV every year and love it (my dh did WSOP a couple years ago :-)
We are headed next month and it sounds as though you love it as much as I do! Have fun and can’t wait to hear your adventures (maybe I’ll learn about a new food find from you I can try out!!!!)

fitandfortysomething July 7, 2010 at 2:52 pm

oh how fun! hope daniel wins big….i like your motto take vegas for what it is-much more fun!

joan July 7, 2010 at 5:56 pm

A lady who was with us on the 4th was talking about the best hot dogs they had in Iceland. I think she said they were lamb! She said, you will have nothing else like them. :)

Brittany July 7, 2010 at 10:31 pm

Your past 3 yummy posts, totally have me drooling all over my key bored!

M.J. Jacobsen July 7, 2010 at 10:35 pm

Have fun in Vegas…….my son goes to those tournaments too! Next time I will have to go (chaperone!! He’s 32!!) with him! I loved it when I went for my 50th, so much to see and do. You don’t have to gamble and drink to have fun, it just enhances the whole thing!!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers July 8, 2010 at 11:54 am

awesome…just printed this…was looking for something to make for a bbq tomorrow!

Have never been to Vegas…would like to go just to laugh at the bling factor of it all. Good luck to Daniel! Hope you have a hoot!

cozydelicious July 8, 2010 at 1:12 pm

This burger looks awesome! I love the splash of bright purple in there! I just got back from Vegas… very fun, but I can only handle a couple of days. Too much craziness for me! I hope you are having a great time there!

katecooks July 8, 2010 at 5:19 pm

have a great trip! i love vegas, but for two nights. maybe three. anything more than that and i’m done. i guess i can only handle that much excess?? but seriously, i love how the sun & food & booze & life is in OVERLOAD when in vegas. can’t wait to see your pics!!

peggyhogan July 8, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Yum. I love lamb but have never tried it in burger form. My in-laws will be here this weekend and I think I ‘ll try them. Have been to vegas, stayed at the Venetian, and seen O (although I was half asleep from time change and 10 pm show…and I’m even a night owl. It’s very cool. Love the tattoo comment. I don’t have one and I’m not against them but in Vegas…everyone has one! Enjoy!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 8, 2010 at 7:34 pm

Peggy- sooo funny that you stayed at the Venetian and saw “O”! I’m excited. I’ve been here a few times before and it’s always fun in that “this is so excessive and cheezy” sort of way!

Nora@LifeLifeEatRight July 8, 2010 at 10:11 pm

This looks so beautiful. I love all of the middle eastern flavors incorporated into the burger and the dressing. SO perfect together!