Sesame Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce

by Andie Mitchell on July 19, 2010

I’m eagerly anticipating the day when I can describe completing my to do list as “getting my affairs in order.” You see, I’m reserving that kind of self-importance for the days when my “affairs” consist of more than binge watching Mad Men, sitting atop my counter while I lick a bowl of brownie batter (before it’s empty, mind you), and changing from one pair of pajamas to the next. It should be noted that the second pair of pajamas were quite the trade up.

On that day, in the somewhat near future, I’ll turn to Oprah and regretfully tell her that after lunch I simply cannot accompany her to her school in South Africa because “I’ve got to get my affairs in order.” Beg as she will, I simply can’t. There are affairs. And I’ve got to get them in order.

Without getting too wrapped up in the details, I think I can safely say that my to-d0′s will involve a chocolate factory, high tea, crumpets, and a petty cash account. Give or take two butlers, a chauffeur, and kindly housekeeper who can help me forget about the cleaning I did today.

If you’re anything like me, but let’s both hope you’re not, you can’t really concentrate when your home is in shambles. For me, even if I need to write ten blog posts, sign up for health insurance, and call Publisher’s Clearing House to claim that enormous check, I’ve simply got to sweep my floors first.  Tackling the dust is an absolute must. My strategy: Creating small piles along the way so that I don’t have to drag the same clumps of dirt and hair all around my apartment.

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:

Exhibit C:

Three quarters of the way through my dust piling, I might realize that the whole experience would be enhanced if Pandora were streaming a steady beat of 80′s music. I also realize that there are brownies that could, and more importantly should, be eaten. Pause for proper snacking. And before I know what’s happened, I’m dancing to “Jessie’s Girl” with a brownie in each hand. Those carefully mounded dust piles? Check my socks.

I move on to task number two. Calling up my landlord to ask them who (the hell!) designed the kitchen that’s equipped with approximately 89 stainless steel appliances, and could they please send that individual to my home to clean the fingerprints off of every square inch of surface area. Because by the looks of it, you’d guess that for the last two weeks, I’ve been doing nothing but rubbing my hands with olive oil and ketchup and then proceeding to grab each and every handle, lever, and knob. Twice.

When my landlord declines, as they always do, I roll up my sleeves and scrub til I can see myself in the stove,

the microwave,

the dishwasher,

and the refrigerator.

That kind of effort only breeds intense madness. A process that ends with me cleaning so furiously that I end up scouring my own sink. No one ever tells you to clean the kitchen sink. Clean it.

Then it’s on to windows, mirrors, glass, bathroom, sheet changing, and laundry. After all is said and eaten…I mean done, it’s time to dine.

Something quite satisfying is in order. A burger? I’ll do you one better: a salmon burger. Fresh wild Alaskan salmon chopped and mixed with soy sauce, lemon juice, grated ginger, garlic, parsley, sesame seeds, and panko bread crumbs- seared and topped with a creamy yogurt-dill sauce. Fresh, bright, and wildly flavorful, each bite filled with moist, flaky salmon and the crispy crunch of sesame seeds. I found myself complimenting my burger quite a bit at the dinner table.  Giving it bedroom eyes more often than I should admit.

Sesame Salmon Burgers with Dill Yogurt Sauce (adapted from Health Magazine)

(makes 2 burgers)

• 1 (8 oz) salmon fillet, skinned and chopped
  • 2 TBSP minced fresh parsley
  • 1/4 cup panko (Japanese breadcrumbs)
  • 1 TBSP finely grated fresh ginger
  • 1  1/2 tsp minced garlic, divided
  • 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice, divided
  • 1 TBSP soy sauce
  • 2 TBSP sesame seeds, toasted
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1/4 cup Greek yogurt
  • 1 TBSP finely chopped fresh dill

Combine salmon, parsley, panko, 1 tsp lemon juice, ginger, 1 tsp garlic, soy sauce, sesame seeds, salt, and pepper in a large bowl.

Form into two patties.

Heat oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is very hot, add the patties and cook for 3-4 minutes per side.  Stir together yogurt, dill, remaining 1/2 tsp garlic, and remaining 1 tsp lemon juice in a small bowl.

Serve burgers on whole wheat buns, topped with the creamy yogurt sauce.

Christie {Honoring Health} July 19, 2010 at 6:49 am

YUM! I have never made salmon burgers before and these look absolutely deish!!

Jennifer July 19, 2010 at 7:06 am

Haha, my mom used to clean houses, (she’s the biggest neat freak) and she hated it when a client of hers had all stainless steel appliances. She said she would spend so much time trying to get prints off of it…And I love Salmon, but never tried it as a burger. It looks so good!

Katie @ Health for the Whole Self July 19, 2010 at 7:17 am

I absolutely love salmon burgers, but have never made them myself. Yours look way better than the frozen ones I buy at Trader Joe’s!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 19, 2010 at 7:37 am

Yes I’m like you and can’t concentrate with my apartment being a mess. (However, I have no pets which means I don’t have to worry about sweeping up hair, thank goodness.) I have stainless steel appliances too and I use a microfiber cloth to get them fingerprint and gook-free. You just wet one side, run it over the appliance, then take the other dry side and buff it. It’s so easy and washable. (Despite how I sound, I don’t sell them on TV.) Here’s what I’m talking about: http://www.amazon.com/simplehuman-Stainless-Steel-Cleaning-Microfiber/dp/B00029R8TK

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 19, 2010 at 8:14 am

I’ve never had a salmon burger, but yours look delicious!

Tina July 19, 2010 at 9:24 am

Whew that’s a lot of cleaning! It looks gorgeous though. I love when I get that energy to clean.

Shanna, like Banana July 19, 2010 at 9:50 am

I think Pippi Longstocking used to clean her floors in her socks, no? ;)

Stainless steel is a pain in the arse, but it sure looks sharp!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 19, 2010 at 9:55 am

Aaahhhh Pippi!! I can’t even thank you enough for reminding me of her!

Kelly July 19, 2010 at 11:12 am

Those salmon burgers looks wonderful!!!

Nicole July 19, 2010 at 3:02 pm

I love that kitchen! And those salmon burgers look awesome!

lequan@luvtoeat July 19, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Those salmon burgers look amazing. Good thing it’s almost dinner time. My kiddies are teaching The OCD in me not to freak out when I see a handprint (or even footprint) on my stainless steel appliances.

Cindy July 19, 2010 at 9:05 pm

we are the same way, hubs is worse. gettng our “affairs in order’ round these parts also includes playing JJ games at the same time, or holding him while dust mopping, or trying to pretend you are “looking for him” while we are vacuuming…and so on.

somehow, I think, it’s why I am so freaking exhausted come Monday.

we too have stainless everything. and it’s my husband that thinks he lives with Monkeys. well, he DOES…doi!
xoxo

Sophie @ yumventures July 20, 2010 at 7:04 am

These look delicious! And I’m obsessed with Mad Men. Sometimes I just want to put on my apron, curl my hair, and drink a glass of scotch. Except then I would probably pass out from the scotch and ruin my finger curl. Oh well. This is lovely all the same.

Decor Grirl July 22, 2010 at 7:15 pm

Ooooh, these salmon burgers sound so good. I like the ingredient combination especially adding the ginger and toasted sesame seeds. But I must confess, I may try them on the grill rather than mess up my stainless cooktop.

You had me rolling, finally someone else who see’s the obnoxious chore involved with cleaning these appliances too. Oh everyone likes them, blah blah, until they have to clean them. Any client I have who wants them gets a dissertation on the fun of trying to achieve spotless appliances before they proceed. No amount of searching the internet has left me with a foolproof way of keeping them clean and cooking too.

Thanks for the post, someone who cooks and gets it. I love it.

Can You Stay for Dinner July 22, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Thanks so much, Lisa! I try to be honest here- you’re right- the stainless looks chic, classy, and modern, but the reality is that it’s a pain. And I feel neurosis coming on every time I look around my kitchen!

Andrea (Off Her Cork) July 29, 2010 at 9:58 am

I adore salmon and these burgers look amazing! They have a great color too, very pink and fresh. :D

You can clean stainless steel with white vinegar. Either straight up or diluted with some water and a clean soft rag. It takes away handprints and gunk while leaving it sparkly. At least that’s how I clean mine. :)

Dorothy February 2, 2011 at 8:05 am

Hi,
Your salmon burgers look great! Just confused with the ingredients. Could you clean up that part a bit? Can’t wait to try!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 2, 2011 at 8:14 am

Hi Dot! Thanks for letting me know the ingredient list was messed up! I fixed it! Let me know if you do end up trying them :)

Sara H August 14, 2011 at 10:11 am

I am definitely making these for my girl’s night dinner party! I just bought a salmon filet and wasn’t too excited to have it as a fillet. This is perfection, you somehow know my love for Greek yogurt and its healthiness! I am so excited, everyone is going to love this. I think I may try them as sliders! Thank you for this! I love snooping on here, there’s just so many things for me to click on here that interests me!

EngineeringMother November 28, 2011 at 7:19 am

These salmon burgers look great! Have you tried FlyLady.net for cleaning tips? She is so much more than that but she has the best microfiber cloths ever.

You are such an inspiration and dang funny too! I am now the heaviest I’ve ever been, 85lb to lose. I have struggled with weight all my life & I’m 54. Thanks for showing me how to take the struggle out of it and just live one healthy day at a time. It’s not new but I need to hear it over & over. Keep it up girlfriend!

Rachel March 22, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Hi Andie,

I’m looking up this recipe you posted, and I was just wondering if you can make this with canned salmon (wild alaskan, of course!)? I prefer fresh salmon fillets, but am trying to save money, while being a good steward of the earth…

Thanks!
Rachel

admin March 23, 2012 at 4:59 am

Hey Rachel! You could sub canned salmon, but the flavor won’t be quite as delicious. Still tasty, though!

Kim April 13, 2012 at 5:04 pm

I just made this burger and ate it and it was INCREDIBLE! My husband does not like salmon but LOVED your recipe. Thank you so very much for sharing.

charitie park May 20, 2012 at 9:48 am

When I was in college, my roommate would cook Costco salmon burgers on the good ol’ George Forman grill! The fishy gross smell would permeate throughout the entire apartment for days! Needless to say, salmon burgers have not sounded appetizing in a long time. When I stumbled upon your recipe however I had to try them. They were a huge hit. My husband and 13 month old son both LOVED them. I now make a big batch of burgers, wrap them in saran wrap and freeze them for an easy dinner. Thank you for this wonderful recipe! PS…they are also great when topped with thinly sliced cucumbers marinated in rice vinegar!

Alicia winter July 5, 2012 at 7:30 pm

Hi there, these look great!
Quick question.. How many calories per pattie? I don’t see it posted anywhere?!
Thanks!

Tara Garmon February 25, 2013 at 10:55 am

I need to know calories and fat also! Please!

betz January 20, 2013 at 1:49 pm

Love the salmon recipe, but don’t get why you are sharing your pics of how you clean your
kitchen, to much info. stick with the subject

Tara Garmon February 25, 2013 at 10:56 am

Do you have the calories and fat info on the salmon burger? I want to make this , but I cant unless I can log what I eat. Thank you so much!

Yup February 10, 2014 at 2:21 pm

Great recipe. Could do without all the scrolling to get to it though.