Buffalo Chicken Fingers

by Andie Mitchell on July 21, 2010

My last day on Earth would involve chicken fingers. Scratch that, buffalo chicken fingers. Strips of fiery red breading with chunky blue cheese for dipping.

I eat my fair share of fine food. Just recently, I dined on beef wellington, roasted duck, ceviche, and quail. Spectacular consumption. But if I’m being honest, my ultimate meals always bring to mind crispy buffalo chicken, pizza, medium-rare cheeseburgers (preferably with a smear of mayonnaise), and steak and cheese subs with caramelized onions. More street grub than gourmet. Those would be the meals that I’d choose, like JC, at the last supper.

Lots of times I wonder why I don’t salivate quite as much at the thought of going out for a really “nice” meal. Why seared ahi tuna and wild mushroom risotto doesn’t quite do it for me in the same way that Bertucci’s “Carmine” pizza does. As a food blogger, I see those pristinely plated, cost-more-than-my-car meals almost daily. And truth be told, they’re delicious. Mouth-watering, even.

But they aren’t the ones that I get a jonesing for.

I think it started in the womb. A seed planted that a top-notch meatball parmesan is worth more than all the Kobe beef carpaccio in the world. Call my tastes pedestrian. When offered the finest, I’ll covet a donut. Opt for a paper plate over china.

My less-than-luxe taste preferences also have something to do with having counted calories for a few years. While losing weight, I gained knowledge of the numbers. Learned that Wolfgang Puck’s plates, calorically speaking, are the same as Wendy’s. Bobby Flay’s numbers equal to Burger King. Better quality and more in line with the notion of “real food,” no doubt, but the same from a “what does this cost in my belly budget” perspective.

I get that counting calories isn’t ideal for lots of people. That mentioning counting is somewhat taboo. Word association would yield “rigidity, obsessive, strict.” I’ve written more than you’d care to read on the matter. But when you’re losing weight, or, when I was losing weight- it served a purpose. Helped me get from A to B- B being not morbidly obese.

So maybe nowadays, though I don’t have that same mental calorie calculation running like a feed through my mind anymore, I still carry the notion that at the end of the day buffalo chicken tenders are the same as filet mignon in at least one sense. One of the two might be missing the trans fats and alarming ingredient list, but I love them all the same.

It helps to not demonize any dish. To think that a food is a food is a food. I don’t set anything aside as an “I’ll never…” or a “Oh I really shouldn’t…” And while I do more often than not avoid food that’s more processed than my Nana’s hair (for the most part), my point is this: buffalo chicken is divine. As divine as braised buffalo and slow roasted chicken, combined. So I guess this is an admission, really. That as a lover of eating well, a passionate food purist in many senses, my favorite foods are the ones that would be more likely served from a hot dog cart or a shake shack than a restaurant that accepts reservations.

Buffalo Chicken Fingers (serves 4)

• 1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breast tenderloins
  • 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
  • 1 egg beaten with 2 TBSP hot sauce
  • 2/3 cup dried bread crumbs
  • 2 TBSP steak seasoning (or any all-purpose blend of pepper and salt)
  • 3-4 TBSP oil ( I used olive)
  • 1/2-3/4 cup hot sauce (I use Frank’s Red Hot or Texas Pete)

Preheat your oven to 400°.  Begin heating 1.5 TBSP of the oil in a large frying pan set over medium-high heat. Line up three separate bowls and fill them in this order- first with the flour, second with the egg mixture, and third with the bread crumbs combined with steak seasoning.

Begin by dredging each tenderloin first in the flour (you only need a light dusting- shake off excess), then dip into the egg bath, then dredge in the bread crumb mixture-pressing to coat the tenderloin well. Place each prepared tenderloin on a large plate.

Place half of the chicken tenderloins in the hot, oiled pan all at the same time, spacing them evenly. You don’t want to overcrowd your pan. Cook for about 4 minutes, without moving them, so that they develop a nice crispy crust on one side.

Flip and cook for an additional 3 minutes.

Place the chicken on a wire rack set atop a roasting pan. Place in the oven and cook at 400 for about 5-7 minutes, just so that the chicken can cook through. The reason that I only cook the chicken a little more than halfway on the stove top is because I want a  crisp crust on the chicken, but don’t necessarily want to fry them in a lot of oil. To cook them completely would require them being in the pan for a good amount of time and at a high heat, with a relatively small amount of oil, they have a tendency to burn. Searing the breading on both sides allows you to lock in the moisture of the chicken’s interior while still developing a crunchy coating. I finish them in the oven so that they cook through, yet don’t burn on the stove top. I also don’t want to solely bake them because you don’t get that authentic chicken finger taste without at least pan frying partially.

When the chicken tenders are cooked through, remove them from the oven and fill a shallow bowl with the hot sauce. Dip each tender into the hot sauce, just to quickly coat. Set the pieces back on the wire rack until you’re done coating all the chicken. Serve with blue cheese dressing and crunchy celery sticks.

Ayla July 21, 2010 at 11:16 am

You write so well and have such a balanced perspective when it comes to food- really refreshing!! Love reading your site!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Thanks, Ayla!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers July 21, 2010 at 11:18 am

Those look so perfect and delicious. A thing of beauty. I can say with certainty I will make them. Repeatedly.

I’m so with you on the 50-50 food thing. While I adore going to places when every item on the plate is a wonder and part of a chef’s artistry…sometimes you just can’t beat a smokie with fried onions from a dubious looking street cart.

Can You Stay for Dinner July 21, 2010 at 12:05 pm

God bless street carts.

Amy @ Second City Randomness July 21, 2010 at 11:39 am

I love love love buffalo sauce. Probably why I have a special place in my heart for “bar food”.

Cindy July 21, 2010 at 12:01 pm

I totally adore a good quality, and very healthy meal. Presentation and flavor are everything.

and a lot of the time I just want a good crispy, gooey slice of pizza. OR someother seemingly evil fare.

crispy, creamy, gooey…just as important to me!

balance…I guess it all comes down to balance

did you say blue cheese sauce?

sorry, got side tracked there.

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Liz @ Tip Top Shape July 21, 2010 at 12:08 pm

Those look delicious. And there is nothing wrong with pub grub types of food. They are equally delicious!

Jenna July 21, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Just this morning my boyfriend was talking about how we needed to make something ‘buffalo chicken’ soon. Bingo! This looks fantastic.

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman July 21, 2010 at 12:15 pm

I love buffalo chicken tenders! My husband is a huge buffalo wing fan but that’s a lot of mess and bones and skin for little meat. I’d much rather have the same sauce with chicken tenders.

homecookedem July 21, 2010 at 12:42 pm

This is so in line with the sort of stuff I’ve been craving since being pregnant! I love buffalo chicken anything!!!!!! Yum!! :)

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday July 21, 2010 at 1:46 pm

I like the fry/bake combination

lisaou11 July 21, 2010 at 2:45 pm

right up my alley! yum!

Tina July 21, 2010 at 3:26 pm

My tastes are that way too. Buffalo chicken is certainly a fave of mine.

fitandfortysomething July 21, 2010 at 5:27 pm

yum! you got me craving chicken now…..

Kelly July 21, 2010 at 5:34 pm

These look wonderful!!!

Leah @ Why Deprive? July 21, 2010 at 5:54 pm

Chicken fingers have always been one of my favorite foods. I’ve stopped eating them because theyre so processed. Why have I never thought of making them myself? Totally bookmarking this recipe!

Andrea@WellnessNotes July 21, 2010 at 5:56 pm

Your chicken fingers sound & look REALLY good.

There is something really comforting about “real food.” I really like your view of not “demonizing” any food. Most things in moderation has been working well for me over the past few years…

dot July 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

Hey!
It’s really nice to find your blog!
These sound wonderful… I’m a big fan of making my own pub food at home — where at least you know what goes into it…

Thanks!
Dot

(PS I’ve featured your recipe in the spotlight today at Foodwhirl:
http://foodwhirl.com/spotlight/yum-buffalo-chicken-fingers – -thanks for sharing it!)

M.J. Jacobsen July 21, 2010 at 9:28 pm

Another superb recipe, and pics too! Sometimes I just have to have Dicks fries; have you been there yet? You gotta try it if you haven’t!

Can You Stay for Dinner July 21, 2010 at 9:33 pm

Ha, I can’t believe I haven’t been to Dick’s- such a landmark here! I’ll give it a shot soon. How are the burgers?

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life July 22, 2010 at 7:22 am

I’m with you on the tastebuds thing. Sometimes a salad from Applebees gets my mouth watering more than sushi from a really expensive restaurant. It’s all about the balance :) I love the recipe for buffalo tenders-my hubby and I can’t get enough of spicy chicken!

Sophie @ yumventures July 22, 2010 at 8:05 am

We are girls of the same heart! Buffalo chicken all the way! I’ve never breaded mine, but I’m sure its amazing. I’ll have to try it :)

malpaz July 22, 2010 at 9:36 am

you have an amazingly healthy view on food wow! i love chicken teders too!!! but not spicy…with mustard! i think people who dont like chicken tenders are straight up lying…lol

Can You Stay for Dinner July 22, 2010 at 9:43 am

Thanks, Mal! I know- chicken tenders are just dynamite- who could turn them down?

Kelly MacDonald October 31, 2010 at 11:53 am

I read your article in Womans World magazine and was very inspired and motivated. I am trying desperately to lose 15 pounds. I am trying weight watchers again but looking at your food I want to try the recipies. I know you said you stopped including the nutritional values of your recipies, but is there a way that I could calculate it myself or would you have a list of recipies that would fall withing the WW guidelines? I think your web site is great.

Can You Stay for Dinner November 1, 2010 at 5:03 pm

Hi Kelly! Thank you for stopping by, it’s so good to hear that you’re feeling motivated and inspired! Almost all of the recipes I’ve posted on my recipes page would be ones I’d recommend eating to anyone- roughly 400-500 calories per serving. I’ve always found SparkRecipesto have a good recipe calculator if you’re interested in calculating the calories or points! Best of luck to you! Andrea

进口轴承 December 22, 2011 at 12:16 am

Magnificent points altogether, you just won a emblem new reader. What may you suggest about your post that you made some days ago? Any certain?