Los Angeles in Five Hours

by Andie Mitchell on August 16, 2010

(source)

I liken airport security to a hell that plays the same episode of Masterpiece Theater in an endless loop. Only in this episode, Dame Judy Dench has a four ounce bottle of shampoo that is always considered a weapon of mass destruction.

Having flown seven times in the past three months, I’ve had it up to my eyeballs with the whole charade. I’m done taking my belt off. And my shoes? You, suited gentleman who accosted my carry on apples, can keep them.

Two Thursdays ago, I hightailed it down to Los Angeles for all of a five hour stay. Business. A day that began with me summer-saulting out of bed at 3:30 am to catch a 7am flight. That damn cell phone is always just a smidgen farther than my wingspan allows. Two Starbucks Venti black coffees and a two and a half hour plane ride later, I was greeted in baggage claim by a driver displaying a placard with my name on it. Let me say that seeing my name printed on a sign, being held by a hair-slicked and suited gentleman, makes me feel a little like Will Smith must have when he showed up on Uncle Phil’s doorstep in Bel Air. Maybe just uncomfortable letting him tote my Jansport. I will admit to doing my best rendition of Kim Kardashian at LAX, though. Oversized black shades, the big bouncy hairdo, and a larger-than-Santa’s-sack purse. Wishing I had a rear end to match.

My stay in the City of Angels was truly five hours long. Barely enough time to develop a drug addiction and dine at the Ivy. But, short as it was, I got quite a bit accomplished. My to-do list included a rack of designer clothing, me trying on seventeen outfits and flinging each one out of the changing room like Joan Crawford in “Mommy Dearest,” getting my hair done, my makeup shelacked on, and pretending to have some sort of confidence and grace. The last one was a doozy.

Just when I thought I was doing well, I received a stern talking to from the makeup artist about craft service being off limits for the rest of the day. Apparently buttery flakes of croissant really adhere to MAC lipstick.

(source)

When all was said and done, I was whisked back to the airport and onto a plane home to Seattle. I waltzed through the front door of my apartment and told Daniel a story involving a flutter of paparazzi, cameras flashing, a go ’round with Brody Jenner, the Viper Room, caviar, and champagne. Then we ate Domino’s.

The End.

Ameena August 17, 2010 at 12:30 am

I’m sorry that your whirlwind trip didn’t involve a meet up with me!

You look gorgeous as always.

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

I wish we met too! I honestly did think for a second, “well, if I moved here, at least I’d have Ameena..”

Amy @ Second City Randomness August 17, 2010 at 6:07 am

Brody Jenner and champagne… now that’s a trip! Surely Daniel believed it.

I do have to say, I don’t envy the air travel. I’m not a fan. Nothing makes me feel more inadequate than dealing with security.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) August 17, 2010 at 6:57 am

What. A. Trip!

That must have been so fun getting your hair and makeup done, while choosing any outfit that you wanted. :D

Can you believe that I’ve never actually even *been* in an airplane? Crazy, I know.

diana@mymarblerye August 17, 2010 at 6:59 am

when I went to LA I acted like a star too..hahaha but YOU my dear are one. Why were you in LA? Is it top secret? BTW I saw your pics from HLS you look so sweet!! And I read your blog cause you are so GENIUNE and speak/type from the heart!! Cant’ wait to meet you one day!

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:10 am

Diana, thank you for always being so genuinely kind to me. Your encouragement really means more than you know!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman August 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wait a minute–what were you there for? Or, what was your photo shoot for?

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:09 am

Hey there! I was in LA for a photo shoot, but I don’t know that I can relay all the details yet. I will soon! I’m sorry- being vague stinks

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine August 17, 2010 at 7:20 am

I LOVED meeting you this weekend- you are sweeter and more gorgeous in person than I ever could have imagined! I hope this weekend was as wonderful an experience for you as it was for me :) Glad you had a safe trip home love!!

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:07 am

Such a pleasure meeting you!!! I had the best time and I really want to plan something for all of us to get together again!!

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life August 17, 2010 at 7:35 am

Wow! I’ve never been to LA, but I’d love to visit!

simplyshaka August 17, 2010 at 7:57 am

Then we ate Domino’s……thats great hahaha! I would be happy to donate some of my junk in the trunk if you really want it.

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:06 am

Yes, I will have some of your junk in the trunk. I think a butt is a nice thing to have and I want one.

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday August 17, 2010 at 8:31 am

What were you up to in LA

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 9:05 am

Hey! I was in LA for a photo shoot, but I don’t think I can give out details yet! My apologies!

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers August 17, 2010 at 9:26 am

You’re a woman of mystery…can’t wait to find out what it was all about! Love the pics from the HLS too – looks like you had an awesome time!

runrantrealize August 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

Ooo I am curious as to what the photo shoot was for. I too hate airport security. Particularly LAX security. Actually I just hate LAX as a general rule. It is an awful place.

Leah @ Why Deprive? August 17, 2010 at 11:31 am

Ive only ever flown twice in my life. I couldnt imagine doing it on a regular basis.
Last time I flew I wore a hoodie without a tshirt underneath. When the guy asked me to take of my jacket I nearly had a heart attack. :)

Lara (Thinspired) August 17, 2010 at 12:28 pm

This is all so glamorous…I can’t wait to hear more details! You are so gorgeous…croissants clearly do a body good! :)

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Thanks, Lara! You are such a sweetheart!

Cindy August 17, 2010 at 2:27 pm

well, except for the airplane fiasco-ness…what FUN. I would love a glam day minus buttery flaky eats! good for you and when you can reveal the details…we’ll be waiting!

xoxo

Paige @ Running Around Normal August 17, 2010 at 3:51 pm

It was so awesome meeting you this weekend!! You have an incredible writing style – I love it! What a whirl wind of a trip, and right after visiting the windy city! Hope to see you again some time! :)

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 3:54 pm

Paige! Thanks so much! I’m so glad we met, let’s definitely keep in touch!

Peggy Hogan August 17, 2010 at 3:57 pm

How exciting. I can’t wait to hear about what you were doing!

Monique@She's Going The Distance August 17, 2010 at 7:15 pm

I don’t even know what you do, but I think I want your job!!!! :) haha

I know the feeling though. I traveled around the US working with the pro beach volleyball tour and man that was exhausting!! 17 stops in 6 months??? Crazy!

Always fun to talk to another seasoned flyer :) flier?

Sana August 17, 2010 at 11:43 pm

Ahhh! I like your lifeee. I think after coming back from HLS I am done with flying. Road trips only!!

Can You Stay for Dinner August 17, 2010 at 11:52 pm

So true- road trips or no trips! Hope all is well with you, Sana!!

suki August 18, 2010 at 12:24 am

Ooh, a photo shoot, eh? Look forward to hearing all about it when the details can be released! :)

Lindsay August 18, 2010 at 7:16 am

This is so exciting Andrea. You look gorgeous and I can’t wait to hear what the shoot was for!