Falafel Burgers

by Andie Mitchell on September 14, 2010

If you’re ever in Paris and someone steers you away from a crepe and toward a falafel sandwich, follow them. They’re onto something.

If you’re passing Notre Dame, trying desperately to snap a photograph of the Shakespeare and Company bookstore, and thinking to yourself that Parisian men and women look dangerously alike…just trot on. The falafel is waiting.

If Rick Steves himself tries to coerce you into a free five hour tour of the Louvre with a five course meal to follow, tell him you’ve got plans and make your merry way to that falafel shop. The one that seems musty and gravely out of place in the Latin Quarter. I don’t remember the name, but it’s the one that makes you wonder if Back to the Future was more documentary than it let on.

Once you get your falafel sandwich, and you’re standing on a street corner just about to eat it, here’s what you’ll see and smell: a paper-wrapped flatbread- hot and slightly charred. Cumin rushing to your nose first, then a bright whiff of parsley. The open end of the rolled dough will reveal crusty brown patties, slightly glazed from the fryer. Flecks of green, red, and honey colored grain in the form of tabbouleh. The tastes upon biting: Crispy yet crumbly falafel, richly spiced yet balanced with notes of fresh parsley and lemon. The flatbread perfectly buttered and doughy. The tahini sauce, creamy and cool, the ultimate compliment.

If, by chance, a kindly homeless man begs for a bite, give him all of your wallet’s contents instead. The falafel is much too precious.

And if you never make it to Paris for a Middle Eastern meal, call me. I’ll make you a falafel burger and we’ll talk about my favorite things.

My Post on Foodista Blog about Falafel Burgers

Click the image below for the recipe!

Falafel Burgers

runrantrealize September 14, 2010 at 11:06 am

Rue des Rosiers is where the best falafel in Paris (arguably the world, and yes I have eate falafel in Israel) is located. Any little shop window on the street will serve it up perfectly.

Trust me I know these things, my family is Jewish we know our falafel. Plus my family is French which means we know food and i have been lucky enough to spend quite a lot of time in Paris because once we are there we stay with cousins and it is cheap.

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Mai, you really are a connoisseur of falafel! Please teach me your ways

Christine @ Grub, Sweat and Cheers September 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

I do not know the name of the place in Paris but I’ve had falafel at it twice and it was divine. Very close to Picasso’s house/museum. And around the corner is a little park to sit and eat it in. *sigh* Paris. *sigh*

Lu September 14, 2010 at 11:17 am

I can’t believe I hadn’t thought about this. I love falafel, but the pita, falafel, salad, tahini in a pita combo just doesn’t work on the go. I’m absolutely making these. I wonder how long I can keep them in the fridge before my son and mom eat them all? Just in case, can these be made ahead and frozen and/or how long do they keep?

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 12:05 pm

Hey Lu! I’d say they keep in the fridge for like 4 days, but I also froze a few and then reheated them yesterday in the microwave at lunchtime- still just as good!

Erin September 14, 2010 at 11:40 am

Falafel may be the greatest meal ever. It’s my dream to eat one in Israel — in fact, that’s part of the reason I’m leaning toward going sooner rather than later. ;)

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Ahhh, I bet it’s divine in Israel!

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 14, 2010 at 11:46 am

That falafel shop is called Maoz!! I lived on that block for 6 months during college and I ate there waaaay too often. It was the late night pizza to our bar hopping. They also have just about the best garnish bar ever- olives and roasted beets and gardiniera…oh man, I could go for one right now.

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Megan, I love Maoz!! The fact that they allow you to add your own toppings is simply spectacular!! So jealous that you spent such a long time getting to enjoy it!

Cindy September 14, 2010 at 1:41 pm

This might perfectly hit the spot tonight!

It’s printing right now!

boy, I am going to have to take you up on that phone call…I bet it’s a good long time before I bet my butt to Paris! boo.

Thanks for the amazing looking dinner idear! I needed one!
xo

Erica September 14, 2010 at 2:13 pm

Bean burgers are totally satisfying. I love how you can adjust the spices and add ins and have a different burger every time. Fabulous

Liz @ Tip Top Shape September 14, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Ooh, I love falafel. It is delicious!!

Kendra September 14, 2010 at 4:11 pm

I love the vivid colors in your photos! Simply delish.

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 4:16 pm

Thank you, Kendra!

Lindsey @ SoundEats September 14, 2010 at 6:52 pm

anddddddddddd now I’m craving falafal.

Have I commented before? If not, I wanted to tell you that since recently discovering your blog, I’ve fallen in love with you and your blog. Beautiful woman, beautiful food, beautiful writing! You’re awesome, lady. :)

Can You Stay for Dinner September 14, 2010 at 6:58 pm

Oh Lindsey! You know how to make a girl feel wonderful! Thanks for such a sweet comment, it really made me smile!

Anne Marie@New Weigh of Life September 15, 2010 at 7:49 am

Looks delish!

Kelly September 16, 2010 at 11:12 am

I have to make this. I’m obsessed with bean burgers right now and this one sounds amazing. But I’ve gotta track down some tumeric first!

Pam @ Cookingworld September 23, 2010 at 7:36 pm

My you are too funny! Give homeless man your change and not falafel burger, tell rick steves you got plan! :-)

I am ready to fly to Paris just for this super yummy burger…Now only if I can convince hubby of it…Looks too yummy and I am famished.

Can You Stay for Dinner September 23, 2010 at 7:39 pm

Thank you, Pam!!

Kristina (My Life a a Mrs) September 24, 2010 at 1:53 pm

Oh my gosh! I LOVE falafel! My Uncle is Lebanese, so i LOVE Middle Eastern Food. Definitely Trying this one! :)

Mateja November 19, 2010 at 5:54 am

I got introduced to falafel while living in Jordan. My family and me are enjoying them for weekend breakfasts with hummus and all the other sides.
If you have time, you can check out my way of making falafel:

Can You Stay for Dinner November 19, 2010 at 6:39 am

Mmmm, thanks Mateja!!

Mary January 22, 2013 at 8:34 am

I love Paris! I had the best Falafel there, as well. Love love love this post!

Mona el Baroudi September 17, 2013 at 8:41 am

This looks so good…But I did not see nutritional info either here or at Foodista? Thanks!