Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

by Andie Mitchell on September 29, 2010

I like to stuff stuff. Chicken, turkey, tacos, bras, cookies, potatoes, brownies, bellies… any old thing, really.

It’s almost always a fabulous idea (well, not the bra one). Take these skinny red peppers for example. They would have been happy, relieved even, to just sun themselves on the grill and mingle with black beans and rice.  But how could I let them? They had such stuffing potential.  Instead I slowly simmered and spiced black beans with onions and garlic, stirred in sweet corn, and spooned the mixture inside the bellies of the peppers. And because cheese makes all of life more lovable, I introduced the peppers to Colby Jack and set them under the broiler until a greasy sheen rippled across their tops. I slipped a fork into their gooey centers while they sat, cooling, in the pan upon my counter, and the spices salsa danced across my tongue.

So go. Make them and eat them piping hot from the oven with sour cream and a glittering of minced fresh cilantro, and I will have indirectly stuffed you too.  See how this works? Don’t fight it. I’ve got a stuffing fetish.

Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

Preheat your oven to 400°F. You’ll need two small peppers. I used long, sweet red peppers because I loved their funky skinny shape, but use any peppers you’d like.

Cut a long slit, lengthwise, along the center of each pepper. Roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are beginning to blister and soften.

Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan set over medium heat and add your chopped onion. Saute for 3 minutes, until it begins to soften and turn translucent.

Add the garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, just until fragrant.

Add your drained and rinsed black beans along with 1/4 cup water.

Stir in your spices.

Cover, set the heat to low, and let the beans simmer in spices for at least 15 minutes but the longer the better.

After simmering, the beans should be thick and slightly mushy.

Add corn and stir to combine.

Divide the bean mixture into each pepper and sprinkle them with Colby Jack cheese. Broil for 3 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and bubbling.

Spicy Black Bean Stuffed Peppers

(serves 2)

• 2 small peppers- any kind you’d like
  • 1/2 medium sized onion, diced
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 TBSP olive oil
  • 1, 15 oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • 2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • pinch cayenne pepper for a little heat
  • 1/2 cup sweet corn
  • 1/2 cup shredded Colby Jack cheese, or any cheese you like
  • fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream for serving
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Cut a slit through the entire length of each of your peppers. Place them on a baking sheet and roast for 15 minutes, until the skins are softened and beginning to blister.
  2. Heat olive oil in a small saucepan set over medium heat. Add your onion and saute for 3 minutes, until beginning to soften and turn translucent.
  3. Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
  4. Stir in your black beans along with the water.
  5. Add your cumin, chili powder, paprika, salt, and cayenne. Stir, cover the pot, reduce the heat to low and simmer the beans for at least 15 minutes, but up to 30 minutes.
  6. Stir in corn. Divide the bean mixture evenly among the two peppers and sprinkle with cheese.
  7. Broil for 3 minutes, until the cheese is melted and bubbling. Garnish with fresh cilantro, salsa, and sour cream if you’d like.

And please feel free to vote for my entry into The Next Food Blog Star Challenge 2! Here is a link to my Foodbuzz profile: CanYouStayForDinner

Linda September 29, 2010 at 4:42 am

That looks so fantastic and you don’t probably even notice that it doesn’t contain any meat. :) I would probably add some shredded carrot there also…

Erica September 29, 2010 at 5:35 am

Melty deliciousness. Black beans and corn were meant to be together. Looks so so good

Anna September 29, 2010 at 6:29 am

Food within food is always a good thing :-) I love how colorful they are!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman September 29, 2010 at 7:01 am

Who says stuffing bras is a bad idea? I think my 15-year-old self would have disagreed. ;)

MelissaNibbles September 29, 2010 at 8:44 am

Looks delicious! I like anything with cheese :)

John February 5, 2012 at 9:21 am

I think you have some eelelcxnt points, and I agree completely. Like any attempt to define genre, “poetry comics” falls apart under scrutiny and added exceptions. Ultimately, it is each artists’ right to brand their work, which is a disclaimer I probably should have opened with. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Shanna, like Banana September 29, 2010 at 9:42 am

I agree — stuffing food is so much more decadent. I’m a big fan of stuffed chicken and I don’t even really like chicken.

Going the stuffed pepper route is so much easier and tastier!

Well done lovely lady!

Megan (Braise The Roof) September 29, 2010 at 9:47 am

Those peppers are gorgeous- do you remember the name of the variety you used?

Cheese definitely makes everything better. Except when you have a cold like I do today. Tragic.

Can You Stay for Dinner September 29, 2010 at 9:57 am

Hey doll! The peppers were from Trader Joe’s, simply labeled “Sweet Red Peppers.” They came two to a bag! I had never seen them there before, but they tasted exactly like a regular ol’ red pepper. Poblano peppers would be fabulous! I’m sorry you’re sick!! I hope you feel better soon!

Laura September 1, 2011 at 10:50 am

Those look like Sheppard peppers. They’re cheap and ubiquitous in the early fall.

Sorry, I know this comment is about a year late. I just got here. :D

Cindy September 29, 2010 at 10:11 am

gosh I so wish I had picked up a two pack of red peppers. I only have two and there are 3 of us.

GAW

I never remember to make these kinds of dishes and I have no idea why. they are so good!!!!

and gosh, cheese DOES make everything happier!
(maybe not my cholesterol) but taste buds???
yup

cozydelicious September 29, 2010 at 10:49 am

Oooh, these look fantastic! Healthy and cheese and tasty. Perfect! I’m thinking I’ll use poblanos though – I have a poblano obsession!

Sana September 29, 2010 at 12:02 pm

I love stuffed anything!! hahaha bras. Oh goodness!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) September 29, 2010 at 6:37 pm

These. Look. Incredible!

And I’m the same way. Stuffing things brings on a whole new level of gourmet. :D

chefpriyanka September 29, 2010 at 8:25 pm

Your stuffed peppers look fabulous! I like the way you roasted the peppers (easy and no mess!) But sometimes to roast large peppers or even eggplant I place it directly on the stove to get a more charred taste, and it’s pretty fast! I also make a similar version to your stuffed peppers, except I use jalapenos (I like things really spicy!) and place it in the jalapeno grill rack (Williams & Sonoma).
I was also really touched by your “About”- you’re amazing! My cooking is focused around healthy ingredients and its only vegetarian (I’m veg!)!

Take care,
ChefPriyanka

Can You Stay for Dinner September 29, 2010 at 9:05 pm

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment! I love that you use jalapenos, I bet they’re absolutely wonderful charred and roasted. And your blog is fantastic!

M.J. Jacobsen September 29, 2010 at 8:53 pm

Ohhh, lovely things!!! I love these veggie inspirations, I’m not eating much meat these days! It’s not ok to stuff one’s bra??? Now you’re telling me??!!!!

suki @ [Super Duper Fantastic] September 30, 2010 at 3:30 pm

Wowie, that looks amazing. :D You’re inspiring me to either give these a try… or at least just pass the recipe on to the boyfriend. ;) It’s like..HINT HINT, honey, I bought peppers this week. MAKE THIS.

Rachel Wilkerson October 8, 2010 at 10:54 pm

Umm…no disrespect to the recipe at hand (it looks amazing) but can we learn more about stuffing brownies?!

soniaenespanol October 22, 2010 at 4:07 am

I just put these into my recipe builder and they are only 8 points each! (Without the salsa and sour cream on the side, though salsa is points free.) You could probably cut more if you use a low fat cheese but I can never justify giving up the flavor of real cheese just to save a point or two. I can’t wait to try my hand at these.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 22, 2010 at 7:29 am

Thanks Sonia! I hope you like them!!

Katie February 22, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I finally made these tonight for dinner. HOLY MOLY, these were delicious!! Just the right combo of flavor and spice. And I didn’t feel the least bit guilty eating it. This one is a keeper!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 22, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Aaahh, yay! I know, it’s just perfect when something tastes great and is great for you. Thanks Katie!!

Melissa Moe July 15, 2011 at 8:39 am

I made these last night. They were delish! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe with us. I look forward to searching your site for more goodies to make!

bill July 19, 2011 at 8:33 am

i made these last night and did all the cooking on the grill to avoid heating up the house (it’s 105 here in Oklahoma)

made 2 of these but cut them into ‘boats’ making 4 side servings to go with the grilled chicken i served our guests

made some rice and flavored it with orange zest, a little fresh orange juice and served it with 3 big orange wedges for them to squeeze over their chicken and the rice

cait July 27, 2011 at 7:18 am

hi! i made these last night for a dinner party and they were FABULOUS! everyone loved them :) thanks for sharing the recipe :)

sreelu August 26, 2011 at 11:26 am

would love to try this recipe on my upcoming camping trip next week

Leslie in VA August 31, 2011 at 5:06 am

WHOA!! Saw this on pinterest and re pinned. Made the beans two days ago, served with fresh salsa and avocado one night and yesterday made the stuffed peppers with bell peppers from the garden. OH MY GOODNESS!!! We have 7 children and even the baby asked for seconds! My son had a left over pepper with fried eggs for his first day of junior year breakfast.

I have only recently discovered your blog but it has quickly come to be one of my favorites. Yummy, easy, healthy food accompanied by talented writing and photography! You go girl!

Sumer September 19, 2011 at 9:11 am

Love this recipe and LOVE your words. You are a beautiful writer and story teller. New to all this, and you are the only person I follow consistently. Inspiring. Love how you speak from the soul and mean it with no regrets.

Paolina November 19, 2011 at 6:47 am

These look amazing! I wonder, could you prepare them the night before and the next day sprinkle the cheese on top and pop them in the broiler?

Kristin December 6, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I just finished making/eating these…DELISH! Me being the meat lover that I am added some shredded chicken in with the rest of the “stuffing” and it was really good! just a thought :)

Thanks for posting so many wonderful recipes!

Becca December 26, 2011 at 2:38 pm

I am home from college and these are super easy for me to make to help my mom out with dinner! I used poblano peppers and added a can of rotel with the liquid drained off (we like them a little spicier) and it was delicious! Even my dad, who usually gets grumpy when I cook vegetarian, loved them! Thanks for a great recipe!

Sarah January 16, 2012 at 9:19 pm

LOVE THESE, made them tonight for dinner with the addition of brown rice to the mixture for it to stretch a bit further and they were amazing. Had lots of left over bean/rice mixture so I can’t wait to use that as taco filling, etc for the next couple of days as I’m in Seattle as well and it looks like we’re about to be snowed in.

Shanna January 21, 2012 at 10:05 am

Just made these and I think I could eat them every week. So delicious…Its the perfect combo of spices.

Alvie April 18, 2012 at 3:01 pm

Made these for dinner last night and they were a big hit!!Hubby & children loved them….will be adding my favorite recipes :)

Sarah April 25, 2012 at 9:41 pm

You have given me in the short 30 minutes I’ve been reading your blog, a new found love of cooking! Thank you so much! I cannot wait to cook! I love your vegetarian options!

Nienke June 19, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I just made this one today, and it’s delicous! I’ve never eaten black beans before, and the are really good! I love stuffing things, but I’m never any good at it. Until this recipe, so quick and easy!

Megan October 8, 2012 at 10:46 am

These are a new favorite in our house (aka one bedroom apartment). I can’t get enough of them. And with a do do dollop of Daisy, they are a dream. Thanks for posting pure deliciousness on a regular basis.

Eve October 8, 2012 at 3:30 pm

I added a little bit of quinoa….so yummy and loved the spices you used.

Sarah A October 17, 2012 at 4:35 pm

I tried this and absolutely loved it!! I didn’t use cheese though (trying to cut out dairy..but ate 3 oz of cheese this morning lol) And added some olives..was awesome! Thanks for the idea!

lura November 2, 2012 at 5:23 pm

can’t wait to try your veggie meals, an this sounds so so so so good. thank you

Alyce Heidt January 23, 2013 at 10:08 am

These look amazing! Do you know (even questimate) how many calories one of these is? I am logging my calories due to health.
Thanks for all your great recipes!!

Amanda April 1, 2013 at 3:34 pm

These look great! I added yellow Spanish rice too. Thanks for sharing!

Sue D. April 9, 2013 at 1:31 pm

These look very good, might be my dinner tonight. Thanks!

Christina Hobbs May 8, 2013 at 10:12 pm

Where can I buy some long red peppers?

Andie Mitchell May 9, 2013 at 8:54 am

Hey Christina,

I bought those long red peppers at Trader Joe’s in 2010–they were a special produce item at the time while I was living in Seattle and I never saw them again after purchasing them. I think you might be out of luck, unfortunately.

Shannon May 16, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I made these for dinner tonight. They were delicious! Thanks for sharing the recipe. :)