Pulled Pork with Tart Apple Slaw

by Andie Mitchell on October 6, 2010

I have a sneaking suspicion that Paula Deen is the second coming of Christ. Think what you will, but the woman simply can’t be of the human world. Anyone with that much buttery, ooey gooey, just-add-cream- power is certainly divine.

Tell me I’m not the only one who has come to this realization.

And then tell me that I’m not the only one who’s trying to model her life after that silver-haired friend to chocolate. Because that’s the path I’ve headed down and Lord knows it’s too late to turn back. Not without a nearly alarming cholesterol level, anyway.

When I cook like Miss Paula I laugh in that deep, belly-rumbling way. I sweet talk the ingredients. I say a polite ‘yes, please, and thank you’ to butter. Beg sugar’s pardon. I tell stories about Bobby and Jamie when they were kids. Then I remember that I don’t have kids.

Someone should really be capping the amount of Food Network that I watch.

With this recipe, I’m paying homage to her southern sensibility. Sweet, smoky pulled pork, so tender and juicy that it just about melts on your tongue. A mound of crisp, tart apple slaw. A fluffy kaiser roll to soak up every last saucy drop. A sandwich that must be eaten with a bib, two napkins, sauce-dripping fingers, and a wide, uncontained smile.

Slow Cooked Pulled Pork

• 1/2 medium onion, sliced
  • 1 lb pork- preferably Boston butt, pork shoulder, or even pork sirloin
  • 1/2 cup ketchup
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup tomato paste
  • 1  tsp soy sauce
  • 2 TBSP dijon mustard
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3/4 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp pepper
  • pinch cayenne pepper
  1. Scatter the sliced onion in the base of a slow cooker. Lay the pork on top of the onion.
  2. In a bowl, whisk to combine all remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over the pork. Cover and cook on low for 8 hours. Shred the meat by using two forks and pulling against the grain.

Tart Apple Coleslaw

adapted from Emeril Lagasse

(makes about 5 cups)

• 3/4 cup mayonnaise
  • 2 TBSP Dijon mustard
  • 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 4 teaspoons celery seeds
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
  • 4 cups shredded green cabbage (about 1/2 head cabbage)
  • 2 large carrots, peeled and shredded
  • 1/2 cup grated Granny Smith apple
  1. Combine first 8 ingredients in a bowl, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Set aside.
  2. Combine the cabbage, carrots, and apple in a large bowl. Stir in the sauce mixture, tossing to combine. Chill for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to blend.

Linda October 6, 2010 at 3:36 am

That pulled pork looks so delicious and juicy. Without that a bit depressing looking bun that food looks so colourful and reminds me of summer colors. :)

Erica October 6, 2010 at 5:42 am

I love me some Paula. The husband and I have been planning a trip to Savannah so that I can go to her restaurant and MAYBE catch a glimpse of her :) I just want a bowl of that slaw

Amy @ Second City Randomness October 6, 2010 at 7:05 am

Paula is definitely my favorite. Because it doesn’t matter what you make of hers, you know it’s going to be decadent!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman October 6, 2010 at 7:41 am

Oh, Paula. I can’t stand her meals, but that woman makes some killer desserts. She made red velvet-something one day and I couldn’t think until I found a red velvet cupcake.

Cindy October 6, 2010 at 9:40 am

this sort of thing normally wouldn’t even register in my brain as necessary but reading your post and seeing your pics made me HUNGRY.

I
just
can’t..um

seem to find

my
BIB

sigh.

my husband cannot eat pork…any other substitues that will work just as well? or close?

I’d love to surprise the boys next week with something like that!

Dang. Lunch is like hours away now.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 6, 2010 at 9:43 am

Boneless skinless chicken breasts work just as well, and so does beef- just about any roast cut will do!! Enjoy!!!

Fervent Foodie October 6, 2010 at 9:44 am

I LOVE Paula Deen! I agree she is out-of-this world :)

Shanna October 6, 2010 at 9:59 am

You never cease to amaze Andrea!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape October 6, 2010 at 3:13 pm

I love me some Paula Deen. To the extent that I was legitimately ecstatic to see just her sons at a recent food fest in Chicago. I was like- they KNOW Paula Deen!! lol

Kelly October 30, 2010 at 4:37 pm

Is there an error in the recipe – do you mean to say only 1 lb of pork?

Can You Stay for Dinner October 31, 2010 at 9:58 am

Hi Kelly! Yes, I meant 1 lb of pork. It won’t end up to a very big mound of shredded pork on your bun, but in terms of moderation, I think that 1/4 lb of pork per person is best. The recipe, for me, usually makes four servings. Thanks for asking! Happy Halloween!

Lemon Drop February 8, 2011 at 7:05 am

This looks amazing! I am always looking for great slower cooker recipes and going to be adding this one to the menu soon!

Lemon Drop February 20, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Update: I went to the butcher today and no pork roast could be found so I settled for a beef roast and got slow cookin’. This was AMAZING! I thickened the sauce at the end of cooking time with a simple cornstarch/water blend. Instead of pulled beef sandwiches I sliced thin layers of beef and topped it with the sauce. Served with mashed potatoes, glazed baby carrots and a side salad. It was phenomenal and a keeper recipe for this family! Thanks again for sharing :)

Can You Stay for Dinner February 20, 2011 at 9:45 pm

SO happy to hear you liked it! I love that you used beef and that you served it with mashed potatoes to soak up the sauce!! Delicious! Thanks ;)