Hearty Chicken Stew

by Andie Mitchell on October 25, 2010

I don’t generally like soup. Or maybe soup doesn’t like me. Either way, we’ve never had a relationship, and unless I take into account that soup is one of the most beloved of foods, I am okay with being abnormal. This can also be evidenced by wardrobe from 1985 to…well…2010. Normalcy be damned.

You probably won’t find me sitting down to a bowlful of soup anytime soon. Unless of course some chef comes up with a chocolate version, in which case I’ll give up solid food for a year or more.

Stews on the other hand, well…stews are a world more lovable. Cozy and warming.  They’re thick enough to really feel like a meal to me, and maybe that’s because I use very little liquid in mine. The stews I create are chunky and rich, dense and hearty in a stick-to-your-ribs sort of way. Each vegetable is soft and giving, just glazed in a satiny coat of sauce.

And while I’m partial to beef stew, I had roasted a small chicken this weekend and had leftovers to spare. With my creative cap snuggled nicely around my ‘It’s the weekend, who will see me?’ afro, I set about slimming and saucing a chicken stew. I wanted to create a meal that tasted a bit like the innards of a chicken pot pie, that creamy, saucy middle that I’m so fond of. The only caveat? I didn’t have cream.

I wanted the flavors of fall and Thanksgiving- those lovely notes of thyme and rosemary and bay. I also wanted a meal that felt rustic and reminded me of home. And quite honestly, I wanted an excuse to make biscuits.

This is comfort food.

This is: cue the storm outside, wrap yourself in a blanket, find a channel replaying Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (that’s TBS, thankyouverymuch), and wear that sweatshirt you got on a trip to Calgary Canada circa 1996. Then dine on chicken stew.

Despite the creaminess of the photos, and the way it coats the back of a spoon, this chicken stew has not a drop of cream in it. It’s almost so healthy that I’m skeptical butter may have sneaked into the pot while I turned my back to eat a cookie. The universe has always been fond of playing tricks on me like that.

Hearty Chicken Stew

Warning: This is thicker than most stews. It resembles the insides of a chicken pot pie. Enter at your own risk.

To a large pot, add chopped carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, a few sprigs of time, a bay leaf, and a sprig of rosemary. Pour 3 cups of good quality chicken broth on top and bring the mixture to a boil.

When it has reached boiling, reduce the heat and let the pot simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add a hefty handful of frozen or fresh sweet corn and a cup of chopped frozen or fresh green beans. Now add 2 heaping teaspoons of poultry seasoning, 1/2 teaspoon of salt, and a few grinds of freshly cracked black pepper. Stir. In a small cup or bowl, whisk to dissolve 2 tablespoons of corn starch in 1/4 cup cold water. Pour that into the pot and stir to combine. Let the mixture return to a simmer and you should notice the cornstarch thickening the soup within about 2  minutes. If your stew doesn’t thicken enough to your liking, add more cornstarch (dissolved in cold water- generally the ratio of cornstarch to water is 1:2).

I made some quick biscuits on the side to dip into the stew, because I think biscuits are a magical, happiness-inducing food. If you don’t have biscuits, use a crusty bread for your dipping pleasure.

Serve.

• 1 bay leaf
  • 1 sprig fresh rosemary
  • 2 tsp poultry seasoning
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
  • 2 TBSP corn starch dissolved in 1/4 cup cold water
  • 3 cups cooked, chopped chicken (about 12 ounces)
  1. To a large pot, add chopped carrots, celery, onions, mushrooms, thyme, bay leaf, and rosemary. Pour chicken broth on top and bring the mixture to a boil.
  2. When it has reached boiling, reduce the heat and let the pot simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add sweet corn and green beans. Now add poultry seasoning, salt, and a few grinds of freshly cracked black pepper. Stir. In a small cup or bowl, whisk to dissolve the corn starch in 1/4 cup cold water. Pour that into the pot and stir to combine. Let the mixture return to a simmer and you should notice the corn starch thickening the liquid within about 2  minutes. If your stew doesn’t thicken enough to your liking, add more cornstarch (dissolved in cold water- generally the ratio of cornstarch to water is 1:2).
  3. Now that the mixture has thickened, stir in the leftover cooked, chopped chicken. Let the mixture cook for about 5 minutes for flavors to blend.
  4. Serve with crusty bread or homemade biscuits.

Nutrition Information for 1 serving:  Calories 310.5 Total Fat 2.4g Cholesterol 65.7 mg Sodium 201.9 mg Potassium 1,084.1 mg Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g Dietary Fiber 6.9 g Sugars 7.5 g Protein 30.7 g

Calories 310.5
Total Fat 2.4 g
Saturated Fat 0.5 g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.8 g
Monounsaturated Fat 0.6 g
Cholesterol 65.7 mg
Sodium 201.9 mg
Potassium 1,084.1 mg
Total Carbohydrate 44.0 g
Dietary Fiber 6.9 g
Sugars 7.5 g
Protein 30.7 g

Jessica @ How Sweet October 25, 2010 at 8:55 am

I don’t think I’ve ever tried a chicken stew… only beef. But you make this look irresistible!

Jaclyn (Ananda Prana) October 25, 2010 at 8:57 am

Soup used to weird me out… probably because I didn’t like veggies! Now I love them both.

I just want to say that I’ve been a reader of your blog for awhile now and I think you are so talented and inspirational! Not too many people put as much effort into their posts as you do – they are great :)

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:03 am

Thank you so much Jaclyn!! Your comment was so so very thoughtful and really did mean the world to me. I can’t quite express my gratitude to you for reading, I know that there are millions of blogs out there to spend time on, and to know that someone is spending time on mine is just…well…fabulous. I appreciate you!

Evan Thomas October 25, 2010 at 9:17 am

This looks so comforting! I’ve always loved chicken noodle soup but we’ve never had a recipe to make our own.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:10 am

Thanks Evan!!

thenewmrscarbone October 25, 2010 at 9:22 am

i put all the fixins for beef stew in the slow cooker just before i saw this new post. damn!! looks like i’m having chicken stew for dinner tomorrow night. can’t wait to try it.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:11 am

Oh God- beef stew in the slow cooker is absolute divinity! I’ll rest assured knowing that you’ll be dining well tonight

M.J. Jacobsen October 25, 2010 at 9:46 am

Since I’m home sick today, and I have all the ingredients………….guess who’s dinner tonight?? I’m the opposite, I love soups and stews and will have them every day!! The weather here in Seattle is perfect for them now, (and for colds!) so I’m just waitin’ for these recipes! Thanks Andrea for thinking of me!!! (ha ha!!) :)

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:09 am

Yay! Enjoy it M.J.! And I really hope you feel better soon!!

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday October 25, 2010 at 10:20 am

Soups and stews are my favourite. We’re deeply in love.

Carbzilla October 25, 2010 at 10:34 am

I’m also a big soup fan but my traditional soup that’s in my fridge is going to seem a little wimpy now.

PS. There are some great preservative-free soup seasonings out there now that don’t contain MSG like regular bouillon. I’m guessing that poultry seasoning contains MSG (which no one really cares about except for me since I’m super allergic).

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:07 am

Thanks for the tip on the poultry seasoning! The one I mean for the recipe, and the one I use in general is simply a McCormick container of a blend of herbs/spices only- thyme, sage, marjoram, rosemary, black pepper, and nutmeg. I actually didn’t even know that some other kinds had MSG! Good to know!

Shanna, like Banana October 25, 2010 at 10:47 am

Love stews as well and that biscuit looks divine!

(Your font is back to normal too! yay!)

Megan October 25, 2010 at 10:51 am

Dude. Why are we so similar in really weird ways? First, the dislike of the outdoors, now the soup. I’ve never gotten into soup, but I do love a good stew. And any excuse to make biscuits is legit, I agree.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:08 am

I think we’ve learned that we’re supposed to live in the same city together. And be obscene. Agreed?

adventuresofpretendcook October 25, 2010 at 11:29 am

That stew looks absolutely delicious. Perfect for a cold day . . . or a rainy one like it is here. :) Can’t wait to try this.

Can You Stay for Dinner October 25, 2010 at 11:45 am

Thank you!!

Kathy October 25, 2010 at 3:57 pm

I just happened to read your story in a Woman’s World magazine,I am truly glad that I made myself read your blog.You’re an inspiration to a lot of women and I love your recipes.

I just lost 38 pounds by making a total lifestyle change.Gained weight from a back injury.Have 30 more to go,but never going back to the way I began eating.Will defiantly share your blogs with my sister in law.

Thanks for sharing this!

Aimee October 25, 2010 at 5:53 pm

I’m not a soup fan, but this sure looks great! Perfect for a day like today that is cold and snowy.

thecompletecookbook October 25, 2010 at 11:06 pm

I love the combination of flavours you are using in your casserole – yummy! :-) Mandy

peggyhogan October 26, 2010 at 5:08 am

I can’t believe that you don’t like soup! Sorry to scold but I feel you’re missing out on so much yumminess. Your stew looks fabulous. I’ll definitely try. Great way to use the leftovers of one of those roasted chickens when in a pinch. I completely see the chicken pot pie as your inspiration. Even as a kid, I loved pot pies. Enjoy fall!

Can You Stay for Dinner October 26, 2010 at 6:41 am

Peggy, I’m going to give soup another chance, just for you! Thank you for the kindness!!

peggyhogan October 26, 2010 at 8:11 am

so glad I’ve swayed you. My favorites are cream of asparagus (can be made light with evaporated milk,) zucchini soup (beef broth, sausage, red wine parmesan on top…yum, butternut squash and apples….(toasted sunflower seeds on top). If you need any recipes, I can look them up. enjoy!

Emily October 26, 2010 at 7:28 am

I do happen to love soups and stews (especially in the fall), but this stew served with a biscuit most definitely resembles chicken pot pie…and that cannot be a bad thing!!

kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com October 26, 2010 at 8:36 am

I LOVE THE BIG CHUNKS OF CHICKEN IN THERE!!!!!

ps. i just saw the cover of woman’s world yesterday at the store
and my GOD you are GORGEOUS <3

Can You Stay for Dinner October 26, 2010 at 10:08 am

Thank you so much Kelsey!!

Rachel Wilkerson October 26, 2010 at 4:50 pm

That looks SO good! Hello, beautiful carb!!

Leah @ Why Deprive? October 26, 2010 at 10:37 pm

Oh this just looks amazing! I kind of want to live in your kitchen.

Rosaline October 27, 2010 at 9:01 am

Those biscuits look heavenly! Any chance of you sharing your recipe for those?

Can You Stay for Dinner October 27, 2010 at 10:41 am

Hi Rosaline! Thank you! I’ll add the biscuit recipe soon!

Daniels Nana & Auntie Beth November 7, 2010 at 11:19 am

Andrea-
Everything looks great and we’re going to try all your recipes, especially the Hearty Chicken Stew. Please tell Daniel that his Nana and Auntie Beth send our love.

anastassia April 12, 2011 at 1:44 pm

Your biscuit looks as yummy as the stew. Do you have the recipe for the biscuit posted?

Can You Stay for Dinner April 12, 2011 at 3:51 pm

Thank you Anastassia! No, I don’t have the recipe posted. I found it on Cooks Illustrated!

Emma September 26, 2011 at 4:35 am

Made this last night for dinner and it was absolutely wonderful! I was dying to know what your biscuit recipe is!

Thanks for sharing this. I love your blog!

Jennifer December 2, 2011 at 8:11 am

I just made this recipe with my leftover Turkey from thanksgiving and it was awesome!!

Dianne December 28, 2011 at 10:30 am

This chicken stew looks delicious! I could hardly focus on the stew, though, because of the picture of the biscuit you served with it. I am not a lover of biscuits in general but the one you show looks almost like a croissant. PLEASE post the recipe for that! Love your blog, by the way. Found it through Pinterest (my new favorite place to hang around).

Andrea December 29, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I LOVE THIS RECIPE!
Can you tell I am excited?? :)
Seriously I can’t wait to make this. Your blog is simply darling and I love that you post healthy and delicious recipes. I have had a similar experience to yours and I sure know how hard it is to keep it off. So thanks for sharing your inspiring story to all of us and helping us reach our individual goals!

Allyson February 20, 2012 at 4:02 pm

This is so yummy and easy to make. This is a new favorite. Thanks for sharing!

Amy August 4, 2012 at 7:46 am

I can’t find the sweet corn and green beans in the ingredients, can you give me the details and amounts? Thank you sooo much!!

Amy August 4, 2012 at 7:52 am

Never mind…Found it!!!

Gail Johnson August 10, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Wow, a kindred spirit! Your chicken stew is a page right out of my cookbook, candidly stolen from my mother and many recipes seen on various blogs. Plus my own thoughts about how to make food good as well as easy to make.

My husband & I own and operate a distant-water fishery operation and he is home only about 5 months of the year. Plus I own & operate a small convenience store so that leaves me with little time to cook.

One of my favorite dishes is using chicken or pork with several vegetables and some herbs. Sometimes I use canned tomatoes with much juice and add white rice. Other times I cook brown rice separately and put them together on the plate. For veggies, I use what’s available at the moment. Mostly the basics are onions and then add garlic, carrots, celery, bok choy, kale, broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, oh my the list is endless. But if using white rice (not the “best” choice) there’s only one cooking pot to clean — a very big deal to me!

Probably every reader as well as you already know this, but I have learned that if you smell what you’re cooking and then smell what herb/spice you might add, if it smells good together, it will taste good together.

And you and all your followers already know what I told a crewman on our fishing boat who had to begin a new career as fishing boat cook, “paying attention is 95% of cooking success!” After health issues meant quitting the boat, I saw him about 6 months after and he was many pounds heavier than I’d ever seen him. Upon asking how he was, he said his weight gain was all my fault! He said he never knew how to cook before my instructions, as basic as they were.

I am terrifically impressed with your efforts and achievements. You have had lots of experience that probably many other overweight people have not had, but at the same time, you’ve had more temptations in other countries. Good for you that you kept good nutrition in the back of your mind so that you weren’t sidetracked in foreign countries and cultures.

You give hope to many people who just don’t know what to do and/or how to do it.

I have bookmarked your site and will revisit it.

Thanks so much and best wishes on your continuing life journey!

Gail

Katlyn Barrette March 8, 2013 at 9:35 am

Pretty good if I do say so myself!
Used broccoli, cauliflower, carrots, onion, spinach and chicken.
I used my epicure chicken stock mix which is only 100mg of sodium rather than 800 in any other.
Used the same spices but had to add quite a bit of cornstarch to get that “creamy” look!
Thanks for sharing! You are making my body transformation a little easier!
Kat

Rose L March 26, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Well, I guess I’m pretty late to this party but just found your recipe on Pinterest. The picture looks so delicious I just had to try it myself. Went shopping yesterday, baked a whole chicken today and I have the veggies simmering away as we speak. It smells fabulous! Can’t wait to eat tonight ;) Thanks for sharing!

Ken May 15, 2013 at 9:20 pm

Just made and ate this stew. It was excellent, I was filled up by one large soup mug full. Definitely would recommend and will make again.

Shannon June 8, 2013 at 6:09 pm

I’m missing where it says how much sweet corn, green beans, or poultry seasoning to add.

Erica July 31, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Shannon,

The amounts of sweet corn, green beans and poultry seasoning are listed in the directions underneath the first picture of the pot of stew. “Add a hefty handful of frozen or fresh sweet corn and a cup of chopped frozen or fresh green beans. Now add 2 heaping teaspoons of poultry seasoning…” This looks fabulous! I am making this for dinner tomorrow night for my aunt and her friend who are visiting from Florida.

Alison September 21, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Made this stew for a large crowd last night (doubled the recipe) So good! Planning to make it with leftover turkey after Thanksgiving.
Would love the biscuit recipe, can’t find it anywhere on the site.

Brenda July 17, 2014 at 3:32 pm

This recipe is fantastic, my guests loved it. Having it again tonight.