Happy Halloween!

by Andie Mitchell on October 31, 2010

Since I’ll be busy all day, dressing only slightly less frighteningly than my standard get-up, dipping my hand repeatedly into a plastic pumpkin filled with Reese’s, Butterfingers, and Kit Kats, and singing Thriller at decibel only dogs can hear, I thought I’d leave you with a meal that requires very little effort and almost no hands-on time: Slow Cooked Beef Chili.

After all, it’s what I’ll be celebrating Halloween with, other than a sugar coma.

It’s a gem for a crisp fall day, a bowlful to warm you from the inside out. It’s the kind of meal that makes you consider the slow cooker among your most beloved possessions, after your Chi hair straightener. Beef that is slowly simmered for hours on end, winds up so unbearably tender that it flakes with the nudge of a fork. A coupling of crushed and diced tomatoes gives the whole pot a thick, welcomed chunkiness. And the blend of brown sugar, cumin, chili powder, and paprika lends a smoky-sweet depth of spice. All at once rich and robust. I find the balance of flavors to be uniquely satisfying, perhaps more than most meals.

And what is chili but a vehicle for toppings? I’ve added shredded extra sharp cheddar, scallion confetti, and a dollop of sour cream. Enjoy!

Slow Cooked Beef Chili

Gather your A-team.

In the base of your slow cooker, add chopped veggies (any you have on hand will work), chunks of beef, and a can of kidney beans.

In a medium bowl, stir together crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, cumin, paprika, chili powder, brown sugar, salt, and pepper. Pour over your beef, beans, and veggies.

Stir to mix everything together. Cook on low for 8 hours (or high for 4-6 hrs if you’d like). Top your chili with shredded cheese, chopped scallions, and sour cream.

Slow Cooked Beef Chili

3 carrots, coarsely chopped

4 stalks celery, coarsely chopped

1 medium onion, coarsely chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced

1 pound beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 1″ pieces

15 ounce can kidney beans

Place the carrots, celery, onions, garlic, beef, and kidney beans into the base of a slow cooker.

In a medium bowl, stir together the crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, chili powder, cumin, paprika, brown sugar, and salt.

Pour the tomato sauce mixture evenly over the top of the beef and vegetables. Cover and cook on high for 6 hours, or low for 8 hours.

Taste and adjust seasoning as necessary- adding a dash or two of cayenne pepper if you’d prefer more spice.

Becca October 31, 2010 at 11:46 am

Thank you, this looks fabulous. Happy Halloween to you!

biz319 October 31, 2010 at 1:06 pm

You know I’ve never made chili in a crockpot – only a dutch oven – love how yours looks – just set it and forget it! :D

Happy Halloween!

Shanna, like Banana October 31, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Celery in chili is so underrated! I put it in mine and love it.

Happy Halloween lovely!

MelissaNibbles October 31, 2010 at 2:22 pm

Yum! My bf loves making chili in the slow cooker. I’ll have to show him this recipe. Thanks!

vamptriana4evr October 31, 2010 at 5:21 pm

I will have to try this. I love making chili but I normally use ground beef. I think I would like this much better! I love your amazing recipes. They all look so good and wholesome. No more powdered chili seasonings for me!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) November 1, 2010 at 5:29 am

I’ve never used beef chuck in a chili before, but I *love* the sound of it! Especially with the crushed tomatoes. That sounds like warm, comfort food to the max. Love it. :D

Rosaline November 1, 2010 at 6:04 am

You have inspired me to cook; you make everything look so good!!!

Cindy November 1, 2010 at 7:33 am

I think my husband and son just rang your doorbell.

I made chili too…only it was with tofu. they….liked the taste but were whining about the missing beef.

HEY, can you send them back with a reeses please???

Thanks.

Happy Halloween!

Devaki @ weavethousandflavors November 1, 2010 at 8:00 am

Yum, yum, yum and yum. Love how its a mix between chili and stew. The best of both worlds!

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

Leah @ Why Deprive? November 1, 2010 at 9:31 am

I’ve never made chili before. I really, really need to.

thehippiehousewife November 1, 2010 at 10:29 am

This sounds yummy and I think its gonna be my first attempt at chili. Do you by chance have a pumpkin chili recipe?

Can You Stay for Dinner November 1, 2010 at 11:04 am

Hey! Thanks, I hope you like it! I don’t unfortunately have a pumpkin version, mainly because Daniel, my love, doesn’t like pumpkin too too much! Shame on him!

Sally November 5, 2010 at 7:34 am

I made this the other day. Best chili ever! Thank you. It was easy to put together, and dinner was a non-issue the rest of the day. My husband even ate two bowls.

Can You Stay for Dinner November 5, 2010 at 7:46 am

YAY!! So glad you liked it Sally! It’s such a cinch to whip up!

whyuswhynow November 16, 2010 at 6:40 am

I made this last night..success! Added some extra onions and garlic and voila! Deliciousness. The house still has its fancy aroma!

Can You Stay for Dinner November 16, 2010 at 7:30 am

So happy you liked it!!

Jennifer Wible November 2, 2014 at 12:48 am

Double Feature Midnight Movies at the Spider House February 2010.
The Mad Ghoul (1943) This creepy tale follows a mad professor, played by
George Zucco, who has discovered an ancient Egyptian gas that
turns anyone who sniffs it into a heart-eating zombie. In this article we are
going to focus on benefits of hotwifing to women.