Cranberry Orange Sauce

by Andie Mitchell on November 23, 2010

I whole-heartedly and unabashedly love cranberry sauce. And if I didn’t have to show a shred of consideration for my fellow Thanksgiving diners, I can promise I’d tuck that ruby red berry bowlful under my arm and head for the hills, spoon in hand.

And this year I just might.

But not before I share my favorite recipe with you. This tried and true berry sauce is tart, zesty, and bright from simmering in a pot with fresh orange juice. It’s jellied yet pleasantly plump with whole berries. It’s magenta on fire.

Here’s how I make it year after year:

In a small saucepan, set over medium heat, dissolve 3/4 cup sugar in 1 cup of 100% pure, freshly squeezed orange juice with 2 teaspoons orange zest.

Bring that to a simmer.

Pour in a full 12 oz bag of fresh cranberries.

Now bring the berries to a simmer and let them cook for 10 minutes, reducing the heat to medium-low if they begin to bubble too furiously.

You’ll know they’re done when they all begin to pop open, and the mixture thickens slightly.

Remove from heat and pour the berries into a non-reactive bowl. They will thicken significantly as they cool.

Cranberry sauce can be made up to a week ahead of time and stored in the refrigerator. I like to store it in old, cleaned out jam jars. I especially like the Bonne Maman jars for their red plaid caps.

Cranberry Orange Sauce

1 cup pure, freshly squeezed orange juice

2 tsp orange zest

3/4 cup granulated sugar

12 oz fresh cranberries (1 standard sized bag)

In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the orange juice and zest. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Stir in the cranberries and bring the mixture to a simmer. Cook until the cranberries begin to pop (about 10 minutes). Remove the pot from heat and pour into a bowl. Cranberry sauce thickens as it cools.

Bethany @ More Fruit Please November 23, 2010 at 2:55 pm

I’m pretty sure you’d have to pry that bowl of cranberry jelly from my hands before running for the hills with it! I bet the citrus flavor really makes this cranberry sauce pop!

Charlie November 23, 2010 at 3:08 pm

Have you tried freezing or canning this? If so.. what were the results.

Can You Stay for Dinner November 23, 2010 at 3:11 pm

Hey Charlie! I have frozen it and that turned out beautifully! Never tried canning, though I’d like to!

Debbie B. November 23, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Looks great! Cranberry sauce from a can creeps me out and this looks delicious! Love the photos :)

cozydelicious November 23, 2010 at 4:05 pm

Yum! Your canberry sauce looks beautiful. And easy too! My favorite way to have cranberry sauce is on a leftover turkey sandwich, and I bet this recipe is awesome on a sandwich!

Chelsea November 23, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I have a recipie almost like this but you also add vanillia bean which I think is a great flavor combo!!

Can You Stay for Dinner November 23, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Wow, vanilla bean sounds like a wonderful addition!! Thanks for the tip Chelsea!

Rachel Wilkerson November 23, 2010 at 8:58 pm

I made a similar recipe last year and it turned out GREAT! Love homemade cranberry sauce and the little zing from the citrus!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine November 24, 2010 at 4:56 am

I really wish I were hosting Thanksgiving this year so I’d have the opportunity to make even a quarter of these delicious-looking recipes….cranberry sauce is one of my favorite parts of the meal!! (What a surprise right? It has sugar in it, after all!)

Lu November 24, 2010 at 6:25 am

I love a good cranberry sauce with orange in it. The one that my hubby makes has a little pineapple in it and it is perfect on turkey. None of that canned stuff. Ever again.

Can You Stay for Dinner November 24, 2010 at 7:19 am

Pineapple really does sound like it would be my favorite addition to this! Tell your husband he’s one smart man, Lu!!

Megan (Braise The Roof) November 24, 2010 at 7:31 am

Yum- now I have to go to the store and eat an entire jar of jam so that I can store my cranberry sauce like this! Shoot. :)

Susan November 25, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I made your cran-orange cranberry sauce today for Thanksgiving and it was delicious! I missed you this year and your fabulous desserts!! Cannot wait to see you next week!
- Auntie Sue

Can You Stay for Dinner November 25, 2010 at 8:42 pm

Hi Auntie Sue!! Thanks for making the recipe, and I’m so glad you liked it! I love you and I’m thrilled to be coming home to see you all!!

roxanne October 8, 2011 at 10:53 am

Hi there ! Just made the sauce , and it is deeeeelicious! could almost use this as a jam to put on some toast :)