Christmas 2010

by Andie Mitchell on December 27, 2010

I’d love to share with you some scenes from my Christmas weekend, one of my favorite to date. Before we begin, I should clarify a few things:
1. Yes, I live in a Christmas Wonderland unparalleled by any earthly territory, including the North Pole. Santa, my apologies, and better luck next year.
2. Yes, I spent an extraordinary amount of time in slippers and holiday-bedazzled socks. This is a judgment-free zone.

3. Yes, the food pictured involves only the following three ingredients:

Remember what I said about judgment-free zones.

4. Yes, I’m currently snowed in. And though I do believe life is better bundled up and blizzard-ridden, please send a sled dog team in one hour if I’m not back. I’ll be next to my shovel eating snow.

Happy holidays to each and every one of you. I hope yours were just as wonderful!

speakingofwine December 27, 2010 at 8:42 am

First trip to your site. I can’t wait to explore more in terms of recipes, food, etc., but I wanted to comment on the pitcures – nicely done! I’m a photo nerd in addition to a wine/food guy, so this post was a lot of fun. Thanks!

Can You Stay for Dinner December 27, 2010 at 10:28 am

Thank you very much! Welcome!

Tracey @ I'm Not Superhuman December 27, 2010 at 8:50 am

You *do* live in a winter wonderland! And I see you got a new camera–woohoo!

Merry Christmas!

Leah @ Why Deprive? December 27, 2010 at 9:36 am

Wow! That is a winter wonderland. Those decorations are amazing!
Glad you had a great Christmas. :)

Kace December 27, 2010 at 10:33 am

Everything looks amazing! Santa is definitely envious.

Karlyn December 27, 2010 at 11:43 am

Andrea! Can I come visit your house at Christmas next year? :P I love all the decorations! But out of all the photos, I honestly got most excited seeing the ones of your new camera :)) Can’t wait to see it and see YOU (more importantly hehe) soon :)

Can You Stay for Dinner December 27, 2010 at 12:49 pm

Aaahhh Karlyn, I miss you! Can’t wait to see you next week! Hope you had a very merry Christmas!!

Gabriela @ Une Vie Saine December 27, 2010 at 12:14 pm

This is just too much for me. I’m SO SAD Christmas is over!! Your house looks absolutely beautiful though!

Heather December 27, 2010 at 12:41 pm

Looks like a pretty great place to be snowed in!!

Nicole December 27, 2010 at 1:03 pm

That is officially the coziest, Christmas home ever! :)

Nancy Keefe December 27, 2010 at 1:47 pm

Andrea, I love your posts. Looking forward to what the new year brings…Happy Holidays…xoxo Nancy

Peggy Hogan December 27, 2010 at 4:57 pm

loved seeing all of your Christmas decorations, especially the pictures of the snow and glass snowflakes…lovely. Merry Christmas!

Can You Stay for Dinner December 27, 2010 at 5:22 pm

Thank you Peggy! Merry Christmas to you too!!

thecompletecookbook December 27, 2010 at 8:33 pm

Aah PLEASE can I come to your house for Christmas next year?
I love being in my slippers so I will feel right at home. :-) Mandy

Kristy December 28, 2010 at 4:28 am

Can I please please please get snowed it with you? :-)I have Rebel Envy

Cindy December 28, 2010 at 7:20 am

oooh Camera Envy!
good for you lovie, and your holiday decor reminds me of my Mom’s house. She has decor for every season for every nook and cranny of her ouse.

pretty!!!!!

Lu December 28, 2010 at 8:30 am

I’m using your house as inspiration for a properly decorated Christmas. Wow! Hello, camera. Lucky girl. I can’t wait to see all the pics you take with it.

Can You Stay for Dinner December 28, 2010 at 9:14 am

Thank you so much Lu! Hope you had a great holiday!

biz319 December 28, 2010 at 11:41 am

First of all, love all the snowmen and festive socks! I got a new camera too, which I was not expecting at all – it made me cry!

Even though you are snowed in, sounds like you had a wonderful Christmas – looking forward to all your good eats in 2011! :D

Rachel Wilkerson December 28, 2010 at 2:32 pm

This is beautiful!! Merry Christmas!

Can You Stay for Dinner December 28, 2010 at 2:35 pm

Thanks Rachel! Merry Christmas to you too! I loved your card this year- hilarious (as you always are)!

KatieG December 29, 2010 at 8:39 am

I have to remark on the china. I am so jealous!!! I inherited my parents’ wedding china when I got married almost three years ago (my mom died in 1995 when I was 16). It’s 12 place settings of beautiful Lenox china, but I have always wanted the classic holiday pattern too! Also, I’m curious, did you buy your diningroom furniture recently or has it been passed down to you? I ask because my father also gave me my parents diningroom table and chairs (and my chairs are identical to yours) and china cabinet. The cabinet is just a teeny bit different, but the wood and hardware are also identical. I couldn’t help but notice. :)

Your home is so beautiful I couldn’t help but be a little entranced. I also am dying over that burnt orange color that it looks like you have in your kitchen! Very pretty!

Can You Stay for Dinner December 29, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Hi Katie!

Thank you for the sweet comment about my home. To give proper credit- this is my parents’ home in Massachusetts where I grew up and am staying for the month of December (just for the holidays). I’ll go back to Seattle next week! I’m sorry to hear that you lost your mom. It’s wonderful to know that you’ve inherited her china though, as I bet you’ll just treasure it. My own mom is the most fabulous decorator and has unbelievable taste- a real eye for styling spaces. She and I love Lenox and that holiday set has been something we’ve been collecting and adding to for years- just picking up pieces here and there at Macy’s or wherever until we made it complete. She tells me Lenox is unbeatable in terms of quality. Her standard, everyday plate set is also Lenox- pure white. I have Fiestaware at my apartment and love the colors and heavy weight. The table, chairs, and china cabinet are all Knob Creek (made in the ’70s or ’80s I believe) and purchased at Paine Furniture in Boston (which has since closed) years and years ago. It’s absolutely beautiful and so well made. The set has been in our family for a long time and has really held up. Timeless. How funny if you have the same table and chairs!! The brick red color in the kitchen is “Wulfenite” by C2 Paint. It’s sort of a terracotta shade. Really really perfect in the kitchen.

Thanks again for your kindness! Happy holidays!!

KatieG December 29, 2010 at 1:46 pm

Well I stand corrected. Your mother’s home is beautiful. I like her thinking about Lenox. It sounds as if she and my mother would’ve gotten along great, as my mom collected all things Lenox (my china pattern is ‘Moonspun’). Between my three sisters and I, who all have various things of hers, I still have Lenox bowls and other pieces up the wazoo!

I’m not sure of the brand of my diningroom set (I’d have to crawl underneath the table tonight to check it out), but I do know that my parents bought it around 1987, so I suppose it’s possible it’s from the same collection. Funny! :)

patridew December 29, 2010 at 2:50 pm

I loved your photos. Such beautiful attention to the detail of Christmas. You are a lucky girl.

ASuburbanLife December 29, 2010 at 8:26 pm

Great pictures! It’s fun to look at these, now 4 days after a Christmas that came and went too fast, to keep feeling some of the Christmas spirit!