Whole Wheat Sour Cream Pancakes

Today is my 26th birthday, and I feel nothing short of elated. One part overjoyed and one part overwhelmed with gratitude….for giving me the chance to share my life, through food, with you.

I’d like to thank the internet for how far we’ve come. Really. Because blogging, well, it’s felt a whole lot like a home away from home for me. Where else but the world wide web would I be able to step inside, take off my shoes, eat, sleep in a plush pillow-top mattress (what’s the thread count here?!), and make myself at home for a full year without being politely and respectfully asked to leave?

Ooo dear, ummm…Andrea, it appears you overstayed your welcome…mmhmm, yes, about eleven months ago.

But then I guess the real place I’ve stayed is in the homes of all of you. Cramped inside your desktops and laptops, just practically shouting about this food or that food, this ooey gooey or that crispy crumbly. It’s not always easy, being 5’9” and all. And I imagine it’s not all that easy for you, either. Either I’m trying to feed you up to your eyeballs, I’m writing a dissertation on the melting point of chocolate, or I’m asking you to dig as deep into the very trenches of your soul as I do mine. I want to share food and wisdom and understanding and circumstance. And really, I’d imagine myself to be fresh out of content by now.

Let’s see…I’ve covered…

Weight, loss, and maintenance.

Food, food, and hey, how about food?

Desserts, sugar, things that make saliva dribble out unexpectedly from my mouth’s corner.

Respecting food and, what’s more, respecting yourself.

Hey! Have we covered food?

How to mend a lifelong struggle with eating.

How to mend a lifelong struggle with perfecting the art of the chocolate chip cookie.

How to mend a heart.

Quite honestly, I don’t know what I’d do without you. Without writing and recipes and taking lustful photos of food.

Thanks for staying with me. I’m blowing out my candles and wishing for another year of this feeling. If it doesn’t come true, I won’t hold it against you, but I may withhold dessert.

Consider that a warning.

These pancakes make the perfect birthday morning. I’m tempted to poke a rainbow of 26 candles into the topmost hotcake and make a wish. But then, the wish would be sitting in front of me, plated, so really there’s no need to fuss.

Hands down my favorite short stack, these are ones I’d serve to the queen, or better yet- Oprah, were she so obliged to pop in for breakfast.  Daniel swears they’re the best he’s ever had. They are light as a feather, flat little pillows with cushy filling. Slipping my fork through a pile of four reveals their tenderness, their fluffy crumb. Flavor-wise, their faintly sweet and slightly nutty from a blend of whole wheat and all purpose flours. I add a few spoonfuls of sour cream to give them the most divine silky texture, and an even more rounded and rich custard taste.

I love that they’re not only special and positively delicious, but healthy and wholesome enough for a weekday. Essentially, they won’t send you on a trip to the tropic of sugar, but you’ll think you’re eating cake for breakfast.  A win by all accounts.

Using a blend of both whole grain and refined flour gives them gentle nuttiness, more fiber, but yet maintains a light, puffy texture. Most recipes call for added oil or melted butter, but you really don’t need any. The sour cream adds a bit of fat and richness, and that’s all that matters taste-wise.

Here’s the step-by-step:

In a large bowl, whisk 1/2 cup whole wheat flour, 1/2 cup all purpose flour, 2 teaspoons baking powder, 2 teaspoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon salt.

In a measuring cup, whisk 3/4 cup milk with one egg. Pour that into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

Now for the special ingredient: the sour cream. This makes the cakes moist and gives them the most lovely richness.

Scoop three tablespoons into the batter and stir to blend all ingredients well.

1.22.11 133

Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat and coat lightly with cooking spray. Spoon a quarter cup of batter for each pancake, and cook for about 3-4 minutes on one side, flip, and then continue to cook on the other side for 2 minutes more. You want to flip them once bubbles begin to form around the edges of each pancake.

Whole Wheat Sour Cream Pancakes

Makes 8-10  3” pancakes

1/2 cup whole wheat flour

1/2 cup all purpose flour

2 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons sugar

1/2 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup milk (dairy or nondairy)

1 egg

3 tablespoons sour cream

1. In a large bowl, whisk the flours, baking powder, sugar, and salt.

2. In a measuring cup or small bowl, whisk the egg into the milk. Pour into the dry ingredients and stir just until combined. Add the sour cream and give the batter one final stir.

3. Spoon a quarter cup of batter onto a griddle or skillet set over medium heat that has been coated with nonstick cooking spray. Flip after 3-4 minutes, just as you notice bubbles forming around the edges of each pancake, and cook 2 minutes more.

4. Serve with a pat of butter and pure maple syrup.

Nutrition Information for 1/3 of the recipe:

Cal: 226.3, Fat: 4.9g, Cholesterol: 77.3mg, Sodium: 59.6mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugar: 2.9g, Protein: 9.4g

Comments

1. johnny says

HAPPY, HAPPY 26th Birthday!!!! It’s been a reeeeaaaal long time since I’ve seen that age. I hope that this day brings great joy and special moments! The pancakes look great and me and my wife will be trying them this weekend. Don’t EVEN think about overstaying your welcome! I just came on board this blog and can’t imagine a day without it. Thanks for ALL you give each of us. YOU’RE GREAT!!!!

2. maryellen says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to the most beautiful daughter in the whole world. I love you so much!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Karen Matthews says

Happy Birthday Andrea !!! :)))
    I hope this year is fabulous for you. Thank you for your words, your inspiration, your humour, and of course your lovely recipes.
    Karen XO

4. says

Happy Birthday!!!!!! Is it bad that the only pancakes in the world I like are IHOP’s pancakes? I never liked any pancakes growing up, then I had those and I loved them, but can’t get into pancakes otherwise. How weird is that??

5. says

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Coincidentally enough, I was planning to make one of your recipes for dinner tonight! Consider it a toast to your 26th : )

6. Apicius' Apprentice says

I’ve never tried to make a whole wheat pancake! This seems like the perfect recipe to start with. I hope you had a wonderful birthday!

7. Lisa in Mississippi says

Happy Birthday! I know your day will be great! I love your blog…..You are very insightful and inspirational! Your food looks absolutely fabulous and I love the way you relate a story along with a recipe! Stay for a long time……I am hooked!

8. Ali says

Happy Birthday, Andrea! You have been a blessing! Thank you for sharing your thoughts and your blessed yummies! Have a wonderfully fantastic 26th year!

9. says

HAPPY HAPPY 26TH BIRTHDAY MY SWEET~

I can’t tell you how much I love that you blog and how many of your amazing recipes and philosophies I have absorbed.

you are a treasure.

Here’s to a billion more pancake rich birthday mornings!

xoxooxoox

ps the Chicken Cordon Bleu BLEW our brains out!!!! Y.U.M.
    xo

10. Sue Fernandes says

Happy, Happy 26th Birthday Andrea!

Hope you have a great day! It was wonderful to see you when you were home. Can’t believe you guys are this old!!!!
    Love you ‘Mr. & Mrs. F’ xoxo

11. says

Happy Birthday Andrea!!

I feel so lucky to have “met” you. You are an incredible person (and your recipes have never let me down), just make sure you dont leave Seattle before I’ve had a chance to come down there and meet you in real life. :)

12. says

Happy Birthday! I just celebrated my 35th on Saturday. I’m old. However, I went skydiving so that should give me some cool points, right? I did drive there in a minivan though. And…That should cancel it out. Darn. Guess I’ll have to go again. I blogged about it. I’d be honored if you checked it out. What did you do for your birthday?

13. says

happy birthday! i’m not really the biggest pancake fan (unless they are filled with chocolate chips of course) but you make these sound absolutely delicious. eat up and enjoy the day!!!

14. says

Happy belated birthday!!! I’m turning 29 tomorrow and still not coming to grips with the fact that it’s my last bday in my 20’s *sigh*… thinking I need a big stack of these delicious pancakes to celebrate that one! 😀

15. says

First off, happy belated birthday!

Secondly, those pancakes look amazing! My family has a sour cream waffles recipe, and whenever I offer to make them I get a fairly standard “ew, no, gross” face. I tell people to just trust me, and after the first bite it’s always the same “I’m so sorry I doubted you please let me grovel at your feet”, which comes out more like “these are delicious!”. I’ll have to try the pancakes :)

16. says

Happy Birthday!!! Those look awesome!! We’re a ‘every Sunday morning’ pancake house (it’s the husband and the daughter’s ritual)-we’ll have to try these!!!

• says

I just found your site and I’m so happy I did. I have an allergy to gleutn (not Celiac Disease) so I can particularly appreciate your gleutn free recipes. Oh and a question, can I get one of those pizzas to go? =)

17. says

Hi! Found your blog off of How Sweet It Is and I think it is great. I just wanted to let you know that I just made these pancakes and they were incredible. Thanks for the recipe… definitely bookmarking it! :)

18. Emily says

I just made these and they were amazing. I also made your chocolate cupcakes and they were delicious. Thanks for the wonderful recipes!

19. Michelle says

I just made these and added a ripe banana to the mix that I didn’t want to go to waste. I also added some cinnamon and vanilla…b/c why not right? I had to substitute 2% greek yogurt for the sour cream. I was really pleased with result. Thanks for sharing they were nice and fluffy & moist!

20. Sarah says

These look so good. I love whole wheat pancakes so i cant wait to try these. I’m sure these are just wonderful!!!

21. Kris says

I made these this weekend, and had to comment to let you know how much I loved them! I have been on the lookout for a whole wheat pancake recipe that wasn’t too dense or flavorless, and this one is AWESOME. The recipe comes together so easily and is easily doubled. I used 0% Greek yogurt instead of sour cream and it was perfect. I also added blueberries & chocolate chips to some, because sometimes pancakes want to party. So this will now be my go-to recipe! :)

22. Melody says

I have used this recipe three times for my little family now and we all love it. I have been making whole wheat sour cream pancakes for a while, but I like your recipe the best. Perfect amound of fluffiness. Sometimes I add vanilla and a little cinnamon. I actually found this blog searching for a recipe for these exact pancakes and now I am a frequent visitor : )

23. says

Hi!

I just made these pancakes for dinner, but put a diced apple in the mix and used wheat bran instead of wheat flour because that’s all I had. Do you think this is why they are burning before the center cooks? They are indeed nice and fluffy though!

Thanks for this recipe!

• admin says

Hey Laura, I’m sorry, I don’t have it. I’d recommend the recipe calculator on SparkRecipes.com to get the nutrition info if you’re interested, though!

Trackbacks