Two Simple Recipes to Make Life Easier

by Andie Mitchell on January 28, 2011

This week I whipped up two super simple, super satisfying recipes for Foodista that I’d love to share.

The first is a silky, smooth cheddar cheese sauce that comes together in under ten minutes. You read that right: Ten minutes. I can barely count to ten in ten minutes, so you might consider this one step forward for humankind.

It’s creamy and rich and can be stirred into a pot of freshly cooked elbow pasta for homemade macaroni and cheese, drizzled over plainly steamed vegetables for some added flavor, or my favorite use- mixed with whole wheat penne, roasted broccoli, and sliced grilled chicken for an easy, healthy, and comforting dinner bowl.

Check out the Foodista blog for all the savory details: Simple Cheddar Cheese Sauce

The next recipe I want to share marries two of my favorite things: Oats and the slow cooker.

I know, I had the same reaction.

Oh sweet heavens no…sweet sweet heavens to betsy don’t put those in there.

…But, but the slow cooker! It’s only for savory fo—

And oats! Oh no they really shouldn’t go in ther—

Andrea, I think you’ve gone too far this time and I- well I- I’m not ready for this kind of relationshi—

Shhh…hush now. I know.

If you remember, I love to make meals ahead of time. Making a vat of oatmeal at the start of the week saved me fifteen precious minutes every mornings since. Precious minutes that were redeemed and then spent wisely on People.com.

Yes, I soaked my oats in an eight hour hot bath, and as is the case with everything slowly simmered, they emerged creamier, fluffier, and more tender than I could have imagined.

If I wasn’t concerned about water damaging the leather of my wallet, I’d consider tossing it inside, just to see what kinds of wonders the slow cooker could work on its contents.

Get the scoop on my overnight oats here: The Best Breakfast To Wake Up To

In other news, if you want to watch me as I learn all about wine, watch this video my friend Jameson and I filmed: Wine Safari

My sincerest apologies in advance.

Matt January 28, 2011 at 11:57 am

Great recipes! Totally making that cheese sauce ;)

Can You Stay for Dinner January 28, 2011 at 12:01 pm

Thanks Matt! It’s just so, so easy and much better for you nutritionally than any packaged, processed versions!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape January 28, 2011 at 1:43 pm

Wowzers- that overnight oatmeal doesn’t even hold a candle to that pasta dish!! It looks SO good!!!

MelissaNibbles January 28, 2011 at 2:42 pm

The cheese sauce sounds perfect for my dinner tonight. Thanks!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic January 28, 2011 at 4:34 pm

I bet that oats in the slow cooker are amazing, what a great idea!

Livi January 28, 2011 at 6:32 pm

Yum! I’ve made oats in the slow cooker once before and they were absolutely incredible! Super creamy and sweet and just luscious in taste and texture. Glad you enjoyed them as much as I do:) I’m lovin’ your blog btw!!

johnny January 29, 2011 at 12:43 pm

The pasta/cheese/brocolli dish looks fantastic and the slow cooker oats sounds like the answere to my “how do I change up my breakfast” dillema. By the way the pancakes where DELICIOUS!!

Can You Stay for Dinner January 29, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Thanks Johnny! Those are really my favorite pancakes out of all the ones I’ve had, so it means a lot that you like them!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) January 29, 2011 at 4:19 pm

Cheese sauce: YES!
Oatmeal: No. :( I wish I liked oatmeal.

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) January 30, 2011 at 5:15 am

Mmm…these both sound fabulous! I love the idea of making oatmeal in the slow cooker. How creamy they must be. That would be perfect for a busy week day. :D

Anneliesz January 30, 2011 at 11:26 am

It’s like you were reading my mind as I’ve been wanting to make a big batch of oats for weekday fast brekkie. I’m going to try out your recipe tonight. Thanks!

Hungry Dancer January 30, 2011 at 4:57 pm

Oats in the slow cooker!! Wow they look so fluffy and delicious!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl January 30, 2011 at 5:54 pm

I totally need to make that cheese sauce!

And great idea with the oats in the slow cooker!

sara February 10, 2011 at 11:54 am

Ohhhhh, I’m definitely going to make the slow cooker oats! I hate slaving in the kitchen before work, but I definitely crave something warm and hearty like oatmeal. Can’t wait!