I’m thinking we’re very comfortable together at this point, me and you. You and me. At best, we’re virtual soul mates bonded through food and cooking. At worst, we’re in a one-sided pen pal relationship and you’re not keeping up your end of the bargain. I’m tired of paying for postage when you never write back.
But really, it’s mostly good, isn’t it? Beautiful, even. I cook and clean the dishes, you pop in and eat with your eyes. I bake and stow the goodies in the pocket corners of my thighs, you stow them neatly in megabytes of ram. I pour my heart out and it spills onto your computer screen, and you, for your part, keep the mess contained.
Give and take. Take and give.
So today I’m going to ask you a favor. Just going to put everything on the line here and as you to do something for me.
Please get your cute bottom to the market, pick up a package of egg roll wrappers, some hot wing sauce, blue cheese, toss in a box of Junior Mints for good measure, and then get situated in the kitchen to make these.
Buffalo Chicken Rolls.
They are beyond perfect for the Super Bowl. Beyond perfect for your nagging comfort food craving. Beyond satisfying knowing that bar food has been turned inside out and healthy.
The exterior is a crispy, crunchy flour shell. The interior is moist shredded buffalo-sauced chicken, with creamy, cool, and pungent blue cheese, and a few strands of refreshing slaw. Texturally, tastefully balanced and delicious. If you love buffalo chicken, you’ll adore these little rolls. They’re baked instead of fried, and the chicken isn’t breaded or fried either. Each of them clocks in at approximately 100 calories, so they’re absolutely worth adding to your game day snack roster.
Here’s the step-by-step process to make them yourself:
**Note: Find egg roll wrappers in the refrigerated case of the produce department at your grocery store. They’re usually near the tofu and hummus.
- 12 egg roll wrappers (buy the ones that are roughly 4" x 4" square)
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken (6 ounces)
- 1/2- 2/3 cup Frank’s Red Hot Sauce
- 1 cup crumbled blue cheese (4 ounces)
- 1 cup broccoli slaw or coleslaw (dry)
- Blue cheese dressing, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Lay egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface. In a small bowl, stir chicken* (see note below) and hot sauce until well coated, using more or less sauce depending on your spice preference. The meat should be moist with sauce.
- Begin by placing one tablespoon of the broccoli slaw on the diagonal of the bottom right corner of one of the wrappers. Next, place 2 tablespoons of shredded spicy chicken evenly on top of the slaw. Spoon 1 tablespoon of the blue cheese crumbles over the chicken. Do not overfill.
- To fold: Fold the bottom right corner over the stuffing mixture so that it covers it completely, with the tip of the corner now pointing to the center of the egg roll wrapper. Fold in the bottom left corner, followed by the right, so that you now have formed an envelope. Roll the wrap upward one time, leaving the top left corner open. Wet your index finger in the small bowl of water and press to moisten the top left corner. Now fold that down on top of the filled roll, sealing it like you would an envelope.
- Repeat with remaining rolls.
- Place the rolls on a wire rack set on top of a cookie sheet (or just on a greased cookie sheet) coated with nonstick cooking spray. Spritz each roll evenly with nonstick cooking spray. Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until the rolls are crisp and beginning to turn a light golden brown.
*Note: To make the chicken, place 1 large breast (about 6 to 8 ounces) in a small saucepan and fill with enough cold water just to cover the chicken. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat slightly, then simmer for about 12 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Drain and let cool before shredding with two forks, pulling against the grain of the meat.
Nutrition Information for 1 Roll: Calories 103, Fat 3.2g, Cholesterol 19.5mg, Sodium 237.7mg, Carb 9.9g, Fiber 0.5g, Sugars 0.3g, Protein 8.1g