Tuna Rangoon

by Andie Mitchell on February 1, 2011

If you ever eat at a Chinese Restaurant with me, you should expect crab rangoon to be the dining companion I enjoy most at the table. It’s not that your conversation bores me, that you have poor manners, or even that you chew a little too loudly for my delicate ears, per se, it’s mainly just that, try as you might, you’re not fried, stuffed, and puffed with cream cheese and crab meat.

You couldn’t help matters even if you tried.

And I, well I can’t necessarily help the way I routinely pour boiling oolong tea into my teensy teacup and onto my right hand every six minutes and read aloud the animals associated with the Chinese Zodiac. I’m the year of the rat, I should mention.

One thing that we can come together on, thankfully, is our meal. In fact, I’m happy to eat whatever you’d like.  Go ‘head and order whatever your precious heart desires…so long as it involves a large order of steamed shrimp with mixed vegetables, brown rice molded meticulously into a dome, two crab rangoon, two chicken fingers, one spring roll, a tub (and a ladle) full of duck sauce, one fortune cookie, and three of those pastel and chalky after dinner mints with the liquid centers.

But really, whatever you like.

Just don’t forget the shrimp…

…or the spring roll!

…oh and ask them if they’ll mound the rice like I like it…

yes, in that upside down bowl shape.

…uh huh and just be sure the kitchen staff has two gallons more duck sauce where that came from…

Mmmhmm a ladle will work.

…that’s it! I’m zipping my lip.

…nothing more I could ever want in the world…

nope, not a thing.

…but just to be saf– how many rangoon are you planning to eat? Because we could get two orders you know…

Crab Rangoon must be on everyone’s list of favorite things.

On Sunday, after I made Buffalo Chicken Rolls, lunched on them, suffered a mild stroke, napped, and then revived myself with lemon-lime seltzer, I dreamt up a plan to use the rest of those egg roll wrappers.

I just hated the thought of them slowly rotting in my fridge. I cut each one into four squares, essentially making them the size of their wonton wrap relative, and then made a delicious filling inspired by my favorite Chinese appetizer. They’re wonderful. Crisp to the bite, but creamy, rich, and wildly flavorful inside. The taste isn’t all that similar to traditional rangoon filled with crab (imitation, in most cases), but it’s in the same vein. The taste is bolder, sharper. Feel free to substitute canned salmon, canned crab, or even shredded chicken.

For such a simple recipe, these are such a treat. Easy because I always have tuna on hand. And they’re healthy too. At only 50 calories a pop, they’d be perfect snacks for the Super Bowl this Sunday.

Here’s how they’re made:

In a medium bowl, combine a can of tuna, minced garlic, finely minced scallion, sour cream, cream cheese, soy sauce, salt and pepper.

Lay 16 small wonton wrappers out on a clean work surface. I used egg roll wrappers and cut 4 of them into 4 small, even squares.  Wonton and egg roll wrappers are in the produce section of most grocery stores, near the tofu.

Spoon a teaspoon or two onto the center of each wrapper. Do not overfill them or they won’t seal.

Using a small pastry brush or your finger, moisten two of the sides of each wonton wrapper. Fold them over so that the corners meet and press the edges firmly to seal.

Place the filled wontons on a wire rack set on top of a cookie sheet, spray them well with nonstick cooking spray, and bake for about 10-12 minutes at 400 degrees F, or until they begin to turn a light golden brown. Baking them on a rack allows the hot air of the oven to flow around all sides of them, yielding a better and more even crisp.

Serve them with duck sauce or any sweet soy-ginger sauce you like.

Tuna Rangoon

makes 16

6 oz can of solid white albacore tuna in water, drained and flaked

3 tablespoons sour cream

3 tablespoons cream cheese

1 tablespoon soy sauce

1 scallion, minced (about 2 tablespoons)

1 garlic clove, minced

Pinch each salt and pepper

Small bowl of water

Nonstick cooking spray

Duck sauce, for serving

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium bowl, mix the tuna, sour cream, cream cheese, soy sauce, scallion and garlic.

Lay the wonton wrappers on a clean work surface. Spoon one teaspoon of the tuna mixture onto the center of each wrapper. Use a pastry brush or your finger, dip it in water, and moisten two of the four sides of the wrapper. Fold over so that the corners meet and press firmly to seal the tuna filling inside.

Place all filled wontons on a wire rack set on top of a cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until they begin to turn a light golden brown.

Serve with duck sauce.

Nutrition information for 1 tuna rangoon:

Calories: 49.5, Fat: 1.6g, Cholesterol: 7.8mg, Sodium: 89.9mg, Carb: 4.8g, Fiber: 0.1g, Sugars: 0g, Protein: 3.7g

Mad_Adam February 1, 2011 at 10:33 am

Lady, I thank you for this recipe. You just solved my “what to make for the Oscar party” dilemma! I cannot WAIT to try this!!!!!

Kismet January 16, 2013 at 6:57 pm

What on earth is duck sauce?

admin January 16, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Duck sauce is another name for plum sauce, the sweet/sour sauce used in most Chinese American restaurants: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_sauce

spabettie February 1, 2011 at 10:42 am

these look PERFECTLY BEAUTIFUL !

we could TOTALLY eat chinese together!! I swear to you I ALWAYS ask how many crab rangoon people will eat, because we should order accordingly… and if I feel I didn’t get as many as I want, I’ll swear to you then too! ;)

these these look amazing, your list of what to order looks amazing (I wouldn’t bother with the rice – filler – so I can eat more rangoon).
:D

Suzanne February 1, 2011 at 11:23 am

I cant see the pictures anymore! :(

Stupid work computer!

Suzy February 1, 2011 at 12:27 pm

Yum! Those sound great! And thanks for the tip on using the wonton wrappers on the buffalo recipe too!
Btw..I referenced you in my latest blog post…it’s cookies!

Karen Matthews February 1, 2011 at 12:47 pm

Perfect timing !!!:) I’m making the buffalo chicken rolls tonight and these rangoons look lovely for use up the wrappers. Thanks

KarenXO

Cindy February 1, 2011 at 1:53 pm

oh my gosh I thought I was the only person that would rather eat crab rangoons with hot spicy mustard or that red stuff, instead of an entree.

plus I love the upside down bowl of rice look too! I actually serve my rice at home like that!

well, I know what to add to my grocery list now!!!!!

Jenn February 1, 2011 at 4:32 pm

Do you use a nifty tool to calculate the nutritional info for your recipes? I’ve been trying to figure out the best way to track that info

Can You Stay for Dinner February 1, 2011 at 8:04 pm

Hey Jenn! I use Spark People recipe calculator and add all ingredients/quantities and then divide by the number of servings: http://www.sparkpeople.com/

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 1, 2011 at 6:10 pm

I like my rice shaped like that too. :)

Great recipe! I love me some tuna any way I can get it.

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl February 1, 2011 at 7:30 pm

What a great idea! These would be a hit at my house!

Naomi February 1, 2011 at 9:29 pm

i love that these are baked and not fried! also adding this to my “recipes to try” list!

johnny February 2, 2011 at 3:33 am

The tuna ragoons look fantastic, you never cease to amaze me! And thanks to Jen for the question about calorie counting from a recipe, I will check that sight out. The calorie counting books and websights always leave that dish out that you just cooked!

Sarah (Running to Slow Things Down) February 2, 2011 at 5:58 am

Oh my word. This recipe looks amazing.

And just in time for the upcoming superbowl parties. :D

Ali February 2, 2011 at 6:44 am

Andrea! Very, very nice! I know how you feel about Chinese food. Where I live, most Chinese restaurants are buffet. Yuck! I grew up in an area that prided themselves on more traditional service and dim sum! So, I can relate when you find a place that is super fantastic!

I most certainly will try this recipe! Did I mention that my mouth was watering???

Lu February 2, 2011 at 11:33 am

I want to weep with joy because I’m not the only one who demands crab rangoons with her Chinese food. I will give away my entree, but if you touch my portion of rangoon, I will be forced to stare you down till you feel the pain I’m emanating from my sad, puppy dog eyes. *sniff* These will be made. I have a bajillion cans of tuna in my pantry.

cozydelicious February 2, 2011 at 4:48 pm

Oooh, these look awesome. I love crab rangoon, but my husband is allergic to shellfish so I never get them. But these I can do!

Lizzy February 2, 2011 at 5:03 pm

I love crab rangoons and this looks like an awesome twist!!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 2, 2011 at 5:47 pm

Thanks Lizzy!

Sagan February 3, 2011 at 11:23 am

Wow! I’m usually not much of a Chinese food fan, but these look amazing. Definitely want to make them.

cardiopizza February 3, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Definitely going to bookmark these! Crab rangoon is one of my favorites! I love it! And this recipe looks amazing

torviewtoronto February 4, 2011 at 4:49 pm

looks fabulous

Jess-The SemiAbnormal Gal February 5, 2011 at 10:33 am

We would need two orders, no lie.

I guess I’m copying ALL your recipes this week. Keep ‘em coming!

Lacey @ dishfolio February 5, 2011 at 11:42 am

Wow, this looks delicious! Great photos, too! We’d love to see your submissions at dishfolio.com!

Vicki McComas February 5, 2011 at 1:35 pm

Try adding a splash or two of brandy to your recipe. It makes it extra yummy. If you can get your hands on Gyoza wrappers, I use them to make Pierogi all the time. My husband who is polish thinks I hand roll the dough

Can You Stay for Dinner February 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Thanks for the idea Vicki- sounds fantastic!

Andrea February 5, 2011 at 6:59 pm

Yes! Now I can use up those leftover wonton wrappers sitting in my fridge! :) Those look delicious annnddd healthy. What temp. did you set your oven at?

Can You Stay for Dinner February 5, 2011 at 8:00 pm

Hi Andrea! Sorry if I forgot to mention that in the recipe- 400 degrees F!

Martha February 21, 2011 at 6:57 pm

I just made these using white crab meat and they were awesome!! My boyfriend was having a bad day but I think these helped cheer him up =)

Can You Stay for Dinner February 21, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Yay! So glad they were a hit!

Melissa April 5, 2011 at 5:45 pm

You are the first person who has ever grasped my love of crab rangoon. They’re so good, I can never understand people who don’t like them.

Kimberly @ Badger Girl Learns to Cook August 5, 2011 at 2:56 pm

A.Maz.Ing.
I am also a fan of canned white tuna. Especially since I have enough to feed a small army- this, by the way, is why you do not go to the grocery store after having a dental procedure. For whatever reason, I filled my basket with canned tomatoes and tuna. I think I had it on my list but just 1…not 12.
Now at least I have a good use for the tuna! Thanks!

M April 14, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Made these earlier with my daughter. We both LOVED them! Sooo good with the major bonus of not being bad for us. Fantastic!

Elle van Ketel August 1, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I tried leaving out the garlic, swapping the green onions for minced chives ( same amount) and add 1/2 can of minced water chestnuts, and a grating of ginger…..super idea, though. Who knew..TUNA! It’s not just for casseroles!

Victoria November 6, 2012 at 11:57 am

I’ll try these today!! How far in advance can I make these for a party? I’m concerned about sogginess.

Christine Marshall January 1, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I made these last night and they were terrific! I will definitely make these again! Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

Daritza June 15, 2013 at 1:46 am

The photos are no longer available. It can be solved? Nice recipe! Thank you!

Matt Held August 29, 2013 at 2:29 pm

These sound great, and I’m going to try them but would also love to see the pictures, looks like all the links are broken.

Hannah September 12, 2013 at 9:47 am

SOOOOOOO excited that I found your blog today!!! Next grocery trip I’m getting the stuff to make these because believe it or not, I am in a house with no sour cream or cream cheese. Have no idea how that happened?!

Oh and do you think you could put me on a diet? hahaha

Alex November 1, 2014 at 6:59 am

gorgeous …. thanks for the recipe

Denise Cerro August 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

I don’t even care much for tuna and I want to go make these right now…it’s only 6:40 am ! I’m giving this a try ASAP…thanks for the great idea.