Chicken Parmesan Wraps

by Andie Mitchell on February 17, 2011

chicken parmesan wraps

My use of egg roll and wonton wrappers is getting out of hand. In the past few months, I’ve used them to make petite lasagnas, buffalo chicken rolls, tuna rangoon, and now chicken parmesan wraps. We could call it me expressing my creativity, but I’ll be fair and admit it’s more closely resembling of obscenity. The good news is that if you buy egg roll wrappers, you’ll have four of my favorite recipes to try out.

chicken parmesan wraps

For these delicious fold overs, I combined sweet marinara sauce, shredded chicken, baby spinach, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. The idea was born from an intense chicken parmesan sub craving, and the sobering realization that such a meal would involve me having to change out of my pajamas, wash the semi-permanent chocolate mustache off of my kisser, and then interact with other human beings. Not going to happen. Especially not on Sunday at 3pm, a time I respectfully reserve for DVRed episodes of Oprah and the New York Times crossword.

chicken parmesan wraps

I did what any self-respecting individual would do and used my most earnest voice to bribe Daniel. Promises of puppies, homemade chocolate cake, and my entire bankroll, were wagered. He turned down each and every one, maybe realizing that four paper-wrapped rolls of quarters (no matter how shiny) wouldn’t get him very far in life. I told him that silver would be worth something someday, but no, no budging.

I took to the kitchen with a wicked scowl and a vengeance. In my fridge I found each and every necessary ingredient for a perfect chicken parmesan sandwich minus the soft Italian sub roll. I reluctantly traded my angry cap for my thinking one, and within a few minutes I had leftover egg roll wraps in hand. The rest of the recipe came together in no time at all- just a layering of baby spinach, saucy chicken, creamy mozzarella, and sharp parmesan tucked inside a paper thin sheet of pasta, all baked to a golden brown crisp in the oven. Delicious sprung from desperation.

These are a cross between a hand pie and a calzone, but much smaller and without that lovely doughiness. At first I would have assumed the lack of chewy bread casing to be detrimental to taste and texture, but the beauty of these bites is that they allow you to experience the full flavor of the filling- the sweetness of tomatoes and the savory strands of chicken and melting cheese. The egg roll wrappers just provide a light crunch, almost like layering chicken parmesan on top of tortilla chips (which I imagine would make a lovely plate of nachos). They’re fun because they’re small, light, and hand- holdable. Doesn’t get much better.

chicken parmesan wraps

And though I’d like to say that I withheld love, affection, and delicious chicken parmesan wraps from Daniel who refused to budge after many dire pleas for him to go to the store for sub rolls, I’ll admit that I shared them with him. I’ll call it a win for both of us, since he loved each and every oozing bite dipped in marinara, and I retained all previously offered bribes for future use.

Here’s how to make them for yourself:

Chicken Parmesan Wraps

makes 6

8 oz raw chicken breast

1 cup marinara sauce, plus more for serving (see my favorite recipe here)

6 egg roll wrappers (each 7 inches squared)

1 cup baby spinach leaves

1/2 cup mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup parmesan cheese

Place the chicken breast in a small pot and fill with enough water just to cover. Bring to a boil on your stovetop, reduce the heat slightly, then simmer for about 12 minutes, or until cooked through. Drain and let cool before shredding with two forks, pulling against the grain of the meat. Mix the meat with the marinara sauce in a small bowl.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lay the egg roll wrappers on a clean work surface. Layer each with a few leaves of spinach, then chicken, followed by mozzarella and parmesan.

Lightly brush two adjacent sides of the wrapper with water and fold the upper left corner downward, covering the filling, and press to seal on the bottom right corner. Press to seal each of the sides. Repeat with remaining wraps.

Place all 6 filled wraps on a greased wire rack set over a cookie sheet, coat each in cooking spray or a light brushing of olive oil, and bake for about 12 minutes, or until the edges begin to turn a golden brown.

Serve with warmed marinara sauce for dipping.

Nutrition information for 1 wrap:

Calories: 178, Fat: 4.4g, Cholesterol: 32.8mg, Carb: 17.7g, Fiber: 1.1g, Protein: 15.7g

Evan Thomas February 17, 2011 at 9:27 am

These look excellent! First buffalo chicken, now chicken parm. You could do a whole recipe book lightening up comfort food.

Leah @ Why Deprive? February 17, 2011 at 9:28 am

Oh my goodness. You may have outdone yourself with this one. These look good enough to make me go to the store on a weekday to get those egg roll wraps so I can have some too. :)

Kelly February 17, 2011 at 10:06 am

I’ve had egg roll wrapper sitting in my fridge for way too long. I need to use one of your recipes stat! :) Thanks for all the great suggestions.

Shanna, like Banana February 17, 2011 at 11:10 am

I think this is a brilliant idea. I’m going to pick up some egg roll wrappers next time I’m out!

Jenny February 17, 2011 at 1:39 pm

oh man, you got me thinkin’. what about subbing the spinach for basil and the parmesan for mozzerella? yum :)

Stephanie @cookinfanatic February 17, 2011 at 2:40 pm

Another amazing use for the egg roll wrappers, I love this idea! Your recipes = perfection :)

Not sure if you’ve seen the new Chobani commercial yet? You may recognize a certain someone! Wanted to pass along!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic February 17, 2011 at 2:41 pm

By the way, didn’t realize it was going to embed the whole video in that comment hahaha OOOOPS! Sorry!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 17, 2011 at 3:06 pm

AAAHHHHH!!!! Congratulations Stephanie! I’m so so happy for you and even more impressed with how well you did! Future superstar? Yes.

johnny February 17, 2011 at 3:30 pm

Now I know what to do with the left over egg roll wrappers from the tuna rangoons!! I could taste those delicious bites right thru the computer screen, will be trying these real soon! :)

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) February 17, 2011 at 5:09 pm

I love this! :)

thecompletecookbook February 17, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Perfection in a parcel. :-) Mandy

Can You Stay for Dinner February 18, 2011 at 7:22 am

Thanks Mandy!

stephanie February 18, 2011 at 11:26 am

oh my god. you are KILLING me! LOL. As if the Petite Lasagnas weren’t enough to put me over the edge of full on glutinous ecstasy, these might do it. Yum!!! Can’t wait to try!!

Sober and the City February 18, 2011 at 11:44 am

These look delicious!! Gotta find a way to make them gluten-free!

Sharon February 18, 2011 at 12:38 pm

That looks AMAZING!! I might have to try that tonight!

biz319 February 18, 2011 at 8:48 pm

I am so far behind on my blog reading since my husband is in the hospital – I love using wonton wrappers for all sorts of things – I made them from scratch once and now will gladly hand over the .99 cents my store sells them for!

Hope you have a great weekend!

Can You Stay for Dinner February 18, 2011 at 9:25 pm

Ah, so sorry to hear about your husband! I hope he’s okay!

Stephanie @ Stephanie Cooks February 19, 2011 at 7:14 pm

So after my last comment to you on the shrimp I dug through your blog- and WOW! You are such an inspiration. I lost 20-25 pounds (depends on the day haha!) last year and I too love food/cooking/blogging. It’s so motivating to see your story mixed in with your food. You have a new fan.

newlywedcooks March 22, 2011 at 3:37 pm

I am making these tonight for dinner…. and I kind of can’t wait!! You’re very inspiring. :) And I think you’ve met your egg roll obsessed match. I’m done for.

Sarah April 6, 2011 at 11:23 pm

These look absolutely amazing! Definitely making by the end of this week. I love chicken parmesan sandwiches, but love the idea of a wrap in an egg roll wrapper!

Annie April 18, 2011 at 7:36 pm

My husband and I just gave these a try, and wow they are better than we thought!

But I swear, I must be the only person who can’t seal those darn wrappers. Somehow, I always fail.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 19, 2011 at 8:45 am

I’m happy to hear you liked ‘em Annie! I know, they can be tricky to seal, but the key is just not filling them too much. And being really really anal retentive and obsessive like me :)

Amy @ Our Own Village July 14, 2011 at 9:52 am

These sound wonderful, but I’d leave out the spinach from some. The only one in our house that eats spinach is hubby.

Aidan August 9, 2011 at 12:38 pm

I’m going to make this and the buffalo wrappers for dinner with friends this Friday! They’re going to love ‘em!

Amy @ A Little Nosh August 29, 2011 at 4:52 pm

Just wanted to tell you that I’m completely obsessed with this recipe. I can’t stop making it!

Liz August 30, 2011 at 7:36 am

Wow, these look incredible! What delicious little packages~

Heather September 2, 2011 at 6:17 am

These look amazingly good! And so low in calories. I have never used egg roll wrappers. I think because I’m not crazy about egg rolls. I see you have several great ideas for using the wrappers. Egg roll wrappers are on my grocery list for the week. Thank you for sharing your great ideas and recipes!

Heather September 9, 2011 at 10:34 am

I am planning on making these for dinner tonight. I posted a link to your recipe on my Facebook page. Thanks again!

Heather September 9, 2011 at 3:39 pm

Everyone loved them!:)

Lindsey September 18, 2011 at 9:58 pm

Made these tonight along with the buffalo rolls and 1. I had fun. 2. They turned out so cute! 3. They were delicious! These recipes are so helpful…Thank you so much.

Sabrina October 4, 2011 at 5:55 am

I just found your website, and your recipes look amazing! Can’t wait to try this one.

Susanna October 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Something tells me I need to buy some egg roll wrappers…

Stephanie Files November 27, 2011 at 10:45 am

I found this WONDERFUL recipe on Pinterest. We try something new with our 3 school aged sons every Tuesday evening so I tucked this recipe away and made it one night when my husband’s parents were in town. It was a HUGE HIT with everyone!!! THANK YOU!!! Today I used it again with our leftover turkey. It was a great change!

@compassprpdx November 28, 2011 at 11:39 am

Wow, these look amazing! I’m going to try it out with chicken and some remaining Thanksgiving turkey. Great idea for kids too. thank you!

NIchole November 28, 2011 at 5:06 pm

These look INCREDIBLE! I must try them asap. Thanks for sharing :)

Shelley January 16, 2012 at 1:33 pm

The link to your favorite marinara sauce is missing, but this recipe looks so fabulous that I am trying it this week. Love your recipes and your inspirational stories!

Mandi January 22, 2012 at 2:23 pm

I am so looking forward to making these!! I have made your buffalo chicken roll ups and they were PERFECT! And I have to say the egg roll wrappers are on the addictive side. Not only are they delicious, but they are a great canvas for so many delectable dishes. Thanks for the recipes and I will be pinning this one to my pinterest board :D

Melanie January 23, 2012 at 9:44 am

I made these today for lunch… they were phenomenal! I reduced the recipe to only make two of them since I typically only cook for myself unless I’m feeling like a generous roommate. I also used the toaster oven instead- I live in an old college house, and our actual oven is not extremely reliable, to say the least. They still turned out great and I will most definitely be making these again in the near future :) Thanks!

Lesley January 27, 2012 at 8:16 am

THANK YOU! I made your Buffalo Chicken Wraps two weeks ago and have these sad, abandoned egg roll wraps in the back of the fridge that I had nothing to do with. I know what is for lunch tomorrow! I love how inventive you are. Keep it coming. Maybe soup in an egg roll wrap??? :)

jen January 28, 2012 at 6:45 pm

Ive always wanted to use the wonton wrappers form something…perfect purpose

Kara February 14, 2012 at 12:13 pm

My god I stopped by your blog and stayed an hour! Awesome work and great ideas! yum!

Kristin February 15, 2012 at 4:46 pm

Im in love!! I really love the step by step photos!! Great job!

Marci February 19, 2012 at 6:16 pm

I made these tonight, but used Alfredo sauce instead of marinara and I used phyllo dough instead of the egg roll wrappers… They were fantastic, thanks for the idea!

Judes9222 March 8, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I tried making these for the first time tonight… so simple and easy! But I do *NOT* recommend using spring roll wraps…. they’re very stiff and crack easily when you fold them over. I will definitely try again sometime!

AmyR March 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

I just made these tonight and I was a little disappointed. The chicken didn’t have much flavor… I don’t normally boil chicken so maybe I over cooked it. Otherwise it was super easy and I’d try it again but maybe back the chicken? Any one have any suggestions or a good brand or marinara sauce to use…thank you for the great idea!!

AmyR March 25, 2012 at 7:23 pm

Oops I meant bake the chicken

Debbie March 28, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Im going to whip out my egg roll wrappers and wrap my heart out tonight… I have a bunch of chicken boiling right now…
i will do 1/4 bbq chicken
1/4 buffalo chicken
1/4 thai chicken using thai sweet chili sauce
and 1/4 chicken parmasan (im going to try it in wrap form instead of triangles)
i am so excited!!

Amy Mo April 4, 2012 at 3:04 pm

My kids loved them. They didnt notice that they had spinich!!!

Mary April 19, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Made these tonight…….they were delicious! Will be keeping the recipe and definitely making them again:) Thanks for sharing!

A April 26, 2012 at 11:35 am

For the love of all fuck list calorie information!

Jill S May 1, 2012 at 4:07 am

These look yummy! Does anyone know if you can make them ahead of time and eat them later?

Sarah May 8, 2012 at 9:10 am

What is the secret to a) getting them to stick together? No matter how much water I used, or how hard I pressed, they did not want to stick.
b) not drying the wonton rolls while you work? They dried out to the point they were cracking and tearing while i was working.

Sarah May 8, 2012 at 9:12 am

err, I used egg roll, not won ton.

Jennifer May 19, 2012 at 3:43 pm

For those of you having trouble with the egg roll wrappers. Try the ones from an asian store. They work much better than the kind you I’ve gotten in my grocery store.

Amber June 10, 2012 at 1:18 pm

Love this recipe! I made it last week for dinner and it was so good! I also featured it on my blog. Thanks for sharing! :)

Ana Rodriguez June 11, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I tried making these tonight. Although they tasted delicious, I did something wrong as it came out of the oven soggy and falling apart. I would love to try again but need some tips!

Afternoon Social July 12, 2012 at 3:56 pm

I’ve just started using wonton wrappers to make edamame dumplings. I think I’m going to branch out and try this recipe, they look absolutely delicious!

Jenny July 13, 2012 at 10:08 am

They look delicious! I would definitely stay for dinner :)

Hanna July 17, 2012 at 9:07 am

I love you. I just love you. That is all.

Janine July 23, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Just tried this recipe and added a little italian seasoning to the tops…delicious!!!!! Thank you, everyone was thoroughly impressed :)

Dan Miller July 24, 2012 at 7:36 am

Ohhh man this looks tasty!!! I happen to have a pack of wonton wrappers in my freezer as we speak. I’ve had wonton nachos at a restaurant before. It was dangerously good!!! I’ll be making these this week for my girlfriend and her family. :-) Plus i’ll be making my own sauce. yummm

Sallie August 14, 2012 at 2:46 pm

Just made these tonight…they were awesome! I put fresh basil leaves on top of the cheese and brushed the outside with olive oil. I also have an obsession with the egg roll wraps. :)

Stephanie September 5, 2012 at 5:11 pm

this recipe was sooo good. i just made it and my husband loved it. I recommend this recipe:)

eazyveazey September 12, 2012 at 4:50 pm

What a great idea! I can’t wait to make them and pretend I came up with it all on my own. :) Thank you so much. I always end up throwing my leftover wrappers away.
Thanks!

Rachel November 16, 2012 at 8:50 am

Has anyone tried freezing these before cooking? Do they turn out ok?

Elizabeth February 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

Did you ever try freezing these? I just stumbled on to this recipe and had the same questions!! Sure would be a nice treat to pull out of the freezer on a busy night!

Neadom December 7, 2012 at 8:51 am

Ok so I have tried the Buffalo Chicken Rolls. I liked them. I need to adjust my use of hot sauce but I think they will be good. My only issue is that when they go in the oven they are not as crispy as if they were fried. The wrapper gets try and tough. Any ideas?

Thanks
Neadom

Sapphire December 8, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I have just popped these out of the oven and I have never had a better chicken parm. Not to mention, a healthier one. This was truly a hit! Thank you!

Sarah {Raving Fashionista} January 28, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Oh, YUM!! Okay, I need to make these asap!

kathy February 27, 2013 at 7:13 am

These look great! Anyone have any idea how well they would hold up on a buffet table, like in a steam tray or something to keep them hot? Would they get soggy, gummy?

Andie February 27, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hey Kathy,

Hmm…I really don’t know. I’ve never kept them out longer than 30-40 minutes. I do fear they’d get gummy, though, as you mentioned.

JANN March 1, 2013 at 4:33 pm

I recommend using eggs to seal, itll hold/stick better. MY question is… What did you garnish them with ??? [cant tell...] Want to make these tonight!

Andie March 1, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Hey Jann,

I used parsley in the pictures because it was all I had on hand, but I’d recommend finely chopped fresh basil for best flavor.

mel March 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm

These look so good! I’m trying them out tonight! Just curious- how do you prefer to cook the chicken so it shreds nicely? I thought about cooking the chicken in the crockpot with the marinara sauce then shredding, do you think that would work?

Asma March 7, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Hiya Andie!

I’m a huge fan of your recipes!! They’re honestly the best!

Just wondering, though, can I freeze these parmesean wraps? Eagerly awaiting your reply!

Andie March 7, 2013 at 9:17 pm

Hey Asma,

Thanks so much! I’m really not sure how they’d fair if frozen since I’ve never done it myself, but…I would guess that you could do it and then just reheat straight from frozen in a 400 degree F oven until crisp and warm.

If you try it, let me know!

meredith March 13, 2013 at 1:22 am

just calculated via weight watchers… 4 points plus for those of us that are on weight watchers and prefer to do stuff at home than to eat out because it’s a wee bit easier to deal with at home:)

Melissa March 16, 2013 at 12:07 am

I made this tonight for dinner, everything per recipe, and it turned out wonderful! It really called attention to the fillings: the gooey cheese, tender chicken and the extra kick of spinach. The marinara sauce was also very delicious. I have been perusing your website for the past 30 minutes, bookmarking recipes left and right. Thanks for the inspiration, much appreciated :)

Ashley March 19, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I made these last night and the are Excellent! I will definately make these again!

Noelle March 25, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Best. Dinner. Ever. Great recipe, will definatly be making again:)

Lindsay April 15, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Just made these. Still feeling the tongue-burn of impatience. So worth it!! Delish

Julia May 31, 2013 at 4:46 pm

I’m obviously a huge fan of cheese. Imagine adding Pepper Jack into the mix? Pepper Jack would add the right amount of spice to each corner of this 90 degree triangle. Now, we’re talking.

restaurant Fort Lauderdale July 3, 2013 at 5:06 am

I love how those little chicken parmesan wraps look and the color just adds to the overall appetizing appearance of this dish. I am really excited to try this out. Thank you for this recipe and all the other recipes you have linked. Please keep them coming!

Mandi_Mouse September 22, 2013 at 10:44 pm

I was wondering if anyone has tried to freeze these little guys? I absolutely love them and would like to make them in bulk for lunches.

Jane Doe @ Weight Loss: The Bloody Truth October 22, 2013 at 3:50 pm

Never thought of using egg roll wraps for anything but egg rolls! You have truly inspired me. I might go on an egg roll wrap binge of different sorts. Way to go to get the brain working!