Simple Coconut Curry Sauce

by Andie Mitchell on February 19, 2011

Coconut Curry Vegetables

If you don’t like vegetables, I’ll still love you. Less than Oprah, more than black licorice, and maybe equal to white chocolate. But love, all the same.

The thing to keep in mind about vegetables is, they can be finessed and fancied in any way you like. If when you think of produce you see nothing but baby carrots, celery sticks, boiled brussels sprouts, and that god awful gassy smell of freshly steamed broccoli, I’ll put it gently and say: you’re missing out.

Coconut Curry Vegetables

Try making sauces to coat your vegetables, try roasting them for deeper flavor, try stir-frying in a wok, heck, dip ‘em in chocolate if you feel so obliged. This is a judgment free zone after all.

Cauliflower, peppers, scallions

Here’s how I pack the most flavor into a vegetable dish: Coconut Curry Sauce. I find it absolutely delicious because of its complexity and depth, being all at once sweet, salty, smoky, and toasted.

Coconut milk and curry powder

And the beauty of such a simple and exotic sauce is that you can make it in a small saucepan in under 10 minutes and then toss it with vegetables, chicken, fish, tofu, chocolate…just about anything really. I used it to dress up a plain pan of sauteed vegetables, but now I’m teetering dangerously close to the chocolate idea. Remember what I said about judgment-free zones.

Coconut Curry Vegetables

Simple Coconut Curry Sauce

(makes about 2/3 cup)

1/2 cup light coconut milk

2 tablespoons soy sauce

1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar

1 tablespoons brown sugar

1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil

1/2 teaspoons curry powder

1 clove garlic, minced

1/2 teaspoon Sriracha hot chili sauce

2 teaspoons cornstarch

Whisk all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat and let the mixture simmer for about 2-3 minutes until glossy and thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Use immediately to coat vegetables, chicken, fish, or tofu.

Coconut Curry Vegetables

Nutrition info for entire sauce recipe (though it is enough to coat a 2-4 serving meal):

Calories: 213.6, Fat: 11.7g, Carb: 30.9g, Fiber: 0.3g, Sugars: 18.9g, Protein: 2.7g

Paige February 19, 2011 at 8:47 am

Yumm! I’m definitely going to make this in the near future.

I had a great dinner last night that followed this guideline (vegetables, kick-ass sauce) and I was sort of kicking myself for not doing it more often. No more! 6 points plus for a giant bowl of deliciousness? Yes please.

Mine was: 2 carrots cut into long skinny spears roasted at 400 for 15 minutes, then add one head of cauliflower cut into small-medium florets, roast 10 minutes, toss, roast 6-8 minutes. Then the sauce was just a tahini-lemon-garlic-s+p sauce, but I added some chopped capers which was quite fantastic!

I realize if I just have vegetables in the fridge, I WILL do fun things with them, and sauces (curry-coconut, tahini, peanut, etc.) are a great way to make them more fun and to transition them from side dish to full meal.

Can You Stay for Dinner February 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

Paige, yum! That dinner sounds great! I love the idea of a tahini lemon garlic sauce- thanks for the inspiration!

healthyteacher February 19, 2011 at 9:31 am

I love coconut and I love curry. It feels like a match made in heaven, or in my mouth.

And when it comes to veggies, my husband prefers them any way but “raw.” He claims he doesn’t like to eat something that tastes like he just pulled it up by the root out of our backyard. I’m thinking this sauce will be a good addition to some of my veggie recipes to keep it from tasting too, shall we say, “earthy.”

Can You Stay for Dinner February 19, 2011 at 9:59 am

Haha, Daniel is the same way about vegetables- he likes them extreeeemely tender. Nothing as it would be found in nature :)

Bee February 19, 2011 at 10:16 am

Ahhh Lovelovelove. I’ve been experimenting with curry forever and can’t wait to try this.

Also I’ve recently started my own cooking blog–heavily inspired by you!–and one of my first posts was about your divine Mascarapone Marsala Chicken.

Keep on bloggin! :)

Can You Stay for Dinner February 19, 2011 at 10:45 am

Thanks so much Bee! Your blog looks fantastic- I love that quiche recipe too!

ahuwieh February 27, 2013 at 12:41 am

your blogs looks great. i will keep reading and learning new things! thanks! i bought a can of coconut curry sauce from Target and i didnt know what to do with it, but now i know that i can just cook some chicken breast and veggies and pour the sauce over it!

Evan Thomas February 19, 2011 at 11:11 am

Yum! I don’t suppose you deliver? ;-) I always get the Indian food off of Whole Food’s salad bar because it’s the type of stuff I have no idea how to cook.

johnny February 19, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Love the idea! I’ve been eating a lot of veg’s lately and most of the time it’s the raw crunch variety. I love curry and I’m not sure about coconut milk but am willing to give it a try. Got to expand the horizons! :)

cozydelicious February 20, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I love this sauce! And the idea of dressing up veggies is a theme in our house too… while I’m happy with veggies in any form, my husband usually needs some convincing. And curry coconut should do the trick!

Melissa (MelissaLikesToEat) February 20, 2011 at 3:55 pm

You could put curry on my shoe and I’d eat it.

kathy October 11, 2012 at 5:12 pm

LOL!

thecompletecookbook February 20, 2011 at 9:29 pm

Simplicity is always the nicest and when you add coconut milk into the mix it is even better – fab recipe. :-) Mandy

Erica June 26, 2011 at 8:22 pm

yum! that combination of vegetables looks insanely delicous… do you remember what all you threw in there?

martha rowe February 20, 2012 at 10:27 am

ryi: trader joe’s has an 8 veggie combo in the refrigerated veggie section, if you have one near to you….the combo includes red and grren cabbage, carrots, jicama, bell pepper redishes and celery (everything is chopped and ready to include in recipes, over rice or just steamed and eaten!!! enjoy!)

Joseph April 10, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the yummy recipe, it saved what could have been a very disastrous dinner last night!!

Kristina May 21, 2012 at 1:14 pm

This was amazing! I made the full recipe and put it on my veggies (too much for the amount of veggies I made). I am so thrilled with this recipe since I never know what kind of sauce/seasoning I should put on my mixed veggies. And the fact you added Sriracha makes me all kinds of happy! Thanks for the great recipe.

Linda October 8, 2012 at 6:40 am

How did you prepare the veggies? It looks wonderful!

Sam (the Quantum Vegan) October 11, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Yum! I’m making this tonight to go over brown rice, roasted butternut squash, steamed kale and chickpeas. I’m a huge fan of “the bowl” recipes, and they require a good sauce. This looks like just the thing!

sharon vaknin January 14, 2013 at 10:04 pm

This comment much overdue, considering I bookmarked this recipe almost a year ago, HOWEVER. I have made this literally dozens of times — with veggies, chicken, and salmon — and I am obsessed. I go a little heavier on the curry powder and sriracha (I like it spicy!), but the recipe as-is is fantastic. Bravo, and thank you for making something so flavorful easy, too!

Leif February 10, 2013 at 6:42 pm

Thank you! I made this with chicken, snow peas, red pepper, scallions and ginger and a dollop of yogurt. DELISH! Exactly what I wanted.

Carol February 13, 2013 at 11:00 pm

Thank you so much for this recipe and your pictures are gorgeous!

Amy March 9, 2013 at 8:19 pm

This is my go-to recipe for curry – I LOVE it! My husband does, too, and requests it a lot. Thank you so much for sharing!!!

Ginger March 15, 2013 at 4:47 pm

My husband and I absolutely love this recipe! We have used it with chicken breast, some type of beef (LOL!) and tofu! I have also added the veggies I used to make a veggie broth to the sauce as well and it is awesome. Thank you so much for this website. I look forward to exploring it more.

julie March 27, 2013 at 10:04 pm

Just what I’m looking for! I’ve got the veggies, and will buy sriracha sauce, the oe ingredient I don’t have. Watch out, dinner, here I come

Lily @ Lilywanderlust.com May 7, 2013 at 12:29 pm

Exactly what I’ve been craving, yummm! I’m going to use this recipe for inspiration for tonights dinner!

Karen September 18, 2013 at 11:53 am

The photos are missing of the veggie currie, I’d love to see them!
Thanks

Morgan October 6, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Hey Andie,

Working on my meal planning using some of your recipes and your beautiful pics are missing from this recipe.

Lori March 16, 2014 at 7:34 pm

Wow. Everyone in my house loved this sauce. This is an awesome recipe!

Emily April 15, 2014 at 11:51 pm

I’m learning to like curry.