Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos

Mexican pulled pork tacos

Twelve very important life lessons I learned last weekend:

1. Given the amount of baking I do, I need to always wash butter down the drain using the cold faucet so that the butter clumps and flows right on through. Hot water causes the butter to melt and coat the lining of your pipes, eventually leading to build up and blockage.
    2. That watching CNN while I cook all day on Sunday and allowing the news to seep into my brain semi-subconsciously makes me feel either a.) smarter and better informed about world affairs, or b.) closer to Anderson Cooper. I really hope he finds love.

Mexican pulled pork tacos

1. That The Next Karate Kid makes no logical sense, evidenced by the main character, Julie, taking meticulous care of a hawk and wearing an excessive number of cropped shirts.
    2. That watching The Next Karate Kid kills at least 25 brain cells per hour. Run time: 2 hours 49 minutes. Should have stuck with CNN.

Slow cooker Mexican pulled pork tacos

1. Whenever possible, double the recipe I’m cooking, wrap it well, put it in Tupperware, and freeze half. Saves time and energy.
  2. I need to wash my floor more often. The hard wood in my kitchen should not resemble a Jackson Pollack in food splatter art.
  3. Cleaning said floors hurts my spirit.
  4. Dark chocolate Almond Joy cookies heal said spirit.
  5. Roasting two whole chickens means ten no-fuss, delicious meals.
  6. When and if the DVR fails to record Jersey Shore, The View, and/or Oprah, because Daniel has maxed it out with recorded sporting events, I should not threaten a divorce. Mainly because we are not married yet.
  7. That my slow cooker never fails me.
  8. Ever.

Slow cooker Mexican pulled pork tacos

These pulled pork tacos are so easy and delicious. The meat is tender, sweet, and spicy at the same time. And the best part is that they only require a few ingredients that most of us have on hand all the time. Toss your tenderloin in the slow cooker with sweet tomato sauce, cumin, chili powder, and a kick of cayenne, walk away for eight hours, and come back to find full-of-flavor shredded pork to stuff inside corn tortillas with all the fixins’!

Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork

serves 4

1 lb pork tenderloin, or chicken
1 15 oz can tomato sauce, or one 12oz jar salsa
1 tablespoon chili powder
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (I use 1 full teaspoon for more heat)
½ teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, minced

Place pork in the base of your slow cooker. In a small bowl, stir together all remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over pork. Cook on low for 8 hours. When done, shred the pork using two forks, pulling against the grain of the meat. Serve in warmed tortillas with shredded lettuce, sliced bell peppers, chopped tomatoes, black olives, grated cheddar cheese, and sour cream. Garnish with chopped scallions.

Nutrition info for 1 serving of pork: Calories: 213.4, Fat: 7.2g, Cholesterol: 67.2mg, Carb: 11.4g, Fiber: 3.4g, Sugars: 8.5g, Protein: 26.2g

Comments

1. satschuck says

with a full commute and work day my meat would be ten hours in the crock pot – do you have any suggestions to keep it yummy? Also, I’m with you on Anderson Cooper – he and Jon Stewart are my News Boyfriends if only they knew! and THANK you for your numbers post you are the best and reminded me that my 2# gain of late isn’t catastrophic. You remind us it can easy to make good choices and we’ll feel better for it!

• says

Hi Stacy! Yes, I love Jon Stewart too! And you can just cook the pork on low for 10 hours- no problem! If the crock pot shuts off after that and you’re still not home yet, it can just sit for a bit with no ill effects! And thank you for the kind words about my last post.

2. says

Just in the nik of time — I was going to post that chocolate should be washed down the drain with hot water — now I realize I’d better move before my landlord finds out what I’m up to.

De-greaser is also something to keep on hand and use regularly if you pour a lot of grease and/or chocolate down the drain.

And as a recovering news junkie, I’ve discovered that the less I know about Libya and Charley Sheen, the happier I am. So forget CNN; all you really need to convince people you are up to date on the news is to occassionally shake your head and mutter something about A) the Mideast; B) Congressional mudslinging; or C) Steve Jobs has done it again. Your guests will be so excited enjoying the delicious food that they’ll jump right in and fill in the rest of the conversation, impressed with how you manage to keep up with the news and cook so well!

3. says

I’ve never seen pulled pork tacos look so good – *stunning* photos! I can definitely wholeheartedly agree with you on #11, I try to do dinner in the slow cooker at least once a week. I’ll be trying your pulled pork very soon!

4. johnny says

Oh by the way that mashed cauliflour dish sure was delicious! Just tried it last night and mixing in the potatoes was the key change to bring us back to it. My wife and I tried it once when i was dieting before and it was awful and runny so we never tried it again. yours was great.
    Love the pulled pork taco idea, have been eating pulled pork forever and that looks like a nice addition to the pulled pork ideas.
    I work maintenance at an apartment complex and the number of drains I have had to unclog because of butter/animal fat is unbelievable. Running hot water and using a degreasing agent (lemon juice is one that also makes your drain smell good too!) works everytime. Any acid will do the trick such as vinager.

5. Amanda says

Once again, you blew my mind. I’m off to the store for a tenderloin, fresh(er than what I have here) cumin and some degreaser. Guess who always runs boiling hot water down the drain to be rid of that pesky grease and butter. WHOOPS. At least you’re really teaching us something instead of teasing our eyeballs with such delicious treats.

6. Amanda says

Sarah, I agree with Andrea DOO ITTTTTTTTTT. Peer pressure. It’s money you won’t regret spending for one single moment! When mine went on the fritz I cried, literally. Then drove to Wal-Mart in jammies to get another. It’s that important.

7. Katie G says

Made these this past Saturday for a lunch guest. I substituted chicken for the pork since tenderloin was not in the budget this week. Sooooooo delicious!! The chicken was so juicy and tender and had such an amazing flavor. They were also the easiest thing on earth to make. Loved them!!

8. Miss SJ Albany says

I enrolled my son in a wonderful pre-college summer Shakespeare institute for 4 weeks, two towns away, arriving and departing during my work hours. He does not have his license and we’ve been “learning” the bus for the past week, which does not stop at the places it says (or the times) So I’m sitting and growling while making a grocery list. Your blog is quite literally the only thing that made me laugh today and THAT was the point of my comment. Thank you :) ps these sound amaaazing pps the next karate kid… wtf??

9. Kim says

I’m having company on Saturday night….4 adults, 4 children. Can I double this recipe? Thanks in advance.

10. says

Great website. Lots of useful information here. I am sending it to a few pals ans also sharing in delicious. And obviously, thanks in your effort!

11. Kayla says

Now, I’ve already told you how much I’m loving you and your blog but. I made your buffalo chicken egg roll things (deeeelish btw!!) and I have left over shredded chicken. How do you suppose I could use that in this recipe to make chicken tacos???

12. Kayla says

Now, I’ve already told you how much I’m loving you and your blog but. I made your buffalo chicken egg roll things (deeeelish btw!!) and I have left over shredded chicken. How do you suppose I could use the leftovers in this recipe to make chicken tacos??? Would I need to somehow slow cook them?

13. Michelle says

These were AWESOME! I added a jar of cilantro lime salsa and 2 Tbsp of cream cheese to a lemon garlic pork tenderloin. Thanks for sharing all of these wonderful recipes (we’ve tried, and loved many)!!!

14. Veronike W says

SOOO Good! I tried this one tonight and I definitely went back for seconds! I don’t know how you come up with these recipes but they are sooo amazing!

15. says

Hey girl I made this recipe yesterday for a family and friends get-together. I actually made it once over the summer using beef that I decided to try my first ever pork cooking experience. I used 2, 4 pound pork shoulders and tripled all the ingredients just to make sure it had enough flavor and moisture. I cooked it on low for 10 hours then let it cool for 2 before I shredded it. I also made a bbq sauce from the strained liquid using another recipe I found on Tasty Kitchen. The meat had the best flavor from your recipe and it was just melt-in-your-mouth tender! Thank you for making my life easy yesterday. I didn’t have to worry about my food tasting good for my guests b/c I knew it would be amazing. I got to focus all my energy on cleaning my home instead for the few hours before everyone arrived :) Everyone raved about the meat and I printed off your recipe for them to take home too. Thanks again and blessings to you in the new year!

16. Katie says

I made this pulled pork on Sunday and it is amazing. The flavor is beautiful. As a single person (and never having tried the recipe), I only made one 1-lb. pork tenderloin, but it is so delicious that I know next time I’ll have to double it so I have more and can offer some to friends (if I’m feeling nice!).

I eat it with broccoli slaw and it’s such a good combo.

Thanks!

17. Adam says

I was looking for a pulled pork recipe for this week and found your website. I agree the pictures are great and the recipe was just what I had in mind. We’re going to double it so we have leftovers all week. It should be good to reheat and eat as we come and go at different times. I’m bookmarking you for future recipes! Thanks!

18. Mandi says

I just discovered your website and this was the first thing I’ve made. I used chicken instead of pork and it was so incredibly delicious! I put one portion in a tortilla and the other over rice. Both were amazing!

19. David says

I found this site while looking for a pork taco recipe and had to comment on your life lesson #1. Washing butter down the drain using cold water may prevent some of it from clogging up your pipes but it will do nothing to prevent it from cloggin up the sewer pipes under the street. Cities spend millions every year cleaning grease and fat out of sewage systems. Even oils will turn into a goopy nasty gunk that clogs everything up. Any fat should go into the trsh can. Either soak it up with paper towels or save an old plastic PB or mayo jar to collect it in.

• Karen says

I agree with Dave – I never put any fats – butter, peanut butter, cream cheese, bacon fat, etc. down the drain. We have mainly septic systems here on Cape Cod and I always put fats in the trash; I even wipe off utensils with paper towels! It’s bad for the septic and fats solidify once you put them down the drain.

On a positive note, I am headed to the grocery store right now to purchase a nice piece of pork for this recipe. Kudos on the photographs…as a photographer, they grabbed me as soon as I arrived at your site. Great website. (and grammar!)

20. cz says

Thanks so much! I was looking for an easy carnitas recipe, and you had just what I needed! I made this a week or so ago and can’t stop thinking about them. I used a 7.4 ounce can of tomato sauce and a 7.4 ounce can of El Pato (mexican spiced tomato sauce) to substitute the tomato sauce/salsa and it turned out great!

21. Amy says

I used chicken and it was D-lish! Just curious if you know the nutrition break down for chicken verses pork.

22. Jen says

This is over of my favorites! I have made it a couple times, the best so far is using a boston pork roast and chipotle chili powder. So so so yummy! Wish you had a “pin it” button on here though.

23. Laura says

I am not a pork eater but want to try this with chicken do you cook it at the same temp and time as the pork?
    Thanks

24. Haley says

I have this in my crock pot as I type. I can’t wait to see how it turns out! thank you for the recipe…I’ll let you know how it goes :)

25. Hattie says

You are hilarious! This recipe sounds great! I am going to make it for my annual fiesta party next week! You need a pin it button for pinterest :)

26. Diane says

Made this tonight…………amazing. I added a 1/2 can of Rotel and left out the cayenne (I was out of it)

27. Emily says

I tried this last night with chicken, added in some chipotles in adobo since I like spice, and GOOD LORD — utterly delicious. I loved it, my fiancé announced it was officially one of his all-time favorites, and happiness reigned. Thank you!

28. Lauren says

I put this in the crock pot at 1:00 pm on high. Can I cut the time in half and only cook it for 4-6 hours so that it’s ready between 5:00 and 7:00 pm?

29. Kara says

Ok, made these for dinner tonight. I’d like to kiss your feet as a result. Seriously, the best thing every made in my slow cooker. Hands down. Love it. Delish. Many thanks.

30. says

Hey! Love your blog. I found this recipe via Google search yesterday and put it on this morning. I didn’t eat it because I travel out of town for work, but my husband and son say it was delish! Thanks!

31. Liza Melnarik says

I found this recipe of yours through Pinterest and love it! It is my new favorite recipe not only for it’s simplicity in putting it together, but also the flavor. Wow! It also enables me to feed the different members of my family at different times. Thank you for sharing.

32. Penny says

This is in my crock pot now and the family is looking forward to taco night!!

I use baking soda and vinegar for my sinks, tubs, and shower. It really makes a difference and works great for the garbage disposal too!

33. Kah says

Olives and what looks like red peppers attracted me to your pulled pork tacos but I do not see them in the recipe so I am concerned that the recipe is incomplete?

• admin says

Hi Kah,
      Please feel free to add olives and red peppers as I did in the photos above–they certainly make the tacos all the more delicious! I will edit the recipe to include them as optional toppings.

34. Petra says

This sounds soo good! Just a question what would be the best way to prepare this if you don’t have a crock pot/slow cooker? In the oven or on the stove?

35. Hannah says

I just discovered your site through Pinterest. I made these yesterday for dinner and they were A-freaking-mazing. My husband and I nearly licked the crock pot clean. So dang good. I’m on weight watchers and the only thing that will keep me on track is good, flavorful, healthy food. I’ll have to check out some of your other recipes.

36. says

Wow – this is INCREDIBLY spicy (and I followed the measurements to the tee, which usually I don’t do – I’m a pinch of this, dab of that kinda cook…) to the point of being inedible. Even tried adding some extra tomato sauce and extra salsa, more brown sugar and in a last desperate attempt, sour cream. Very disappointing – I know have a crock pot full of blech and ouch. :(

• Andie says

I’m so sorry to hear it, Kari. That is disappointing, and I do appreciate you trying it out. I’ll edit the recipe to suggest using 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper depending on individual spice preference.

I’m thankful for your review. Hope you were still able to enjoy a nice meal.

37. Gay Smoak says

The Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos look fabulous and easy. I’ll definitely be making these really soon. Thanks for sharing.

38. sandra says

Hi Andie!!

I love your blog and your recipes! They have all been so delicious. I am wondering, and you may have been asked this before so my apologies in advance, but do you have a “print” button for your recipes? You know, one that allows them to pop up in a separate screen with just the words and maybe 1 picture? It would make it a lot easier and prettier!

Thanks for all you do!
    -Sandra

• Andie says

Hey Sandra,

Thanks you! I actually JUST installed a plug-in that will allow you to print the recipes from here on out. The thing is–I’ll have to go back and re-enter/reformat all of my recipes. I’ll start with the popular ones–like this one and the ones on the side bar–and work on most recent ones. Should occur in a week and a half or so!

I appreciate your comment!

39. Dr.Mom says

Your posts are so funny and well written and your recipes are to die for! So glad I found you through Pinterest!

40. Jill says

I just had to comment on this amazing recipe. I had a 3 lb. pork tenderloin and was hesitant about using the whole thing in case this didn’t work out. I took a chance and boy am I glad I did! Amazingly easy and insanely delicious! Even my ground beef/crunchy taco-loving boyfriend was impressed. This fed us four times and every time, were we excited to have them again, and it was always just as good as the first time. Thank you so much for our new favorite recipe!

41. Sully_04 says

I cook a Mexican dish at least once a week.. but never tried pork…never even considered it… until last night.. just sampled my pulled pork.. and IT. IS.DELICIOUS!!!! I can’t wait to get these bad boys in to soft taco shells with toppings!!!! Thanks Andie! I promise I’m more creative with meals because of you

42. CFlores says

Made these tacos last night for dinner – amazing! We added the leftover “juices” from the bottom of the crock to some water and made spanish rice, which was also amazing! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

43. Morgan says

Made this tonight! So delish! Ate it over spinach with avocado, onion and sour cream. My husband raved about the pork!

44. Elaine says

I made this recipe last night and my family went nuts. It is very tasty and filling. I will be making this again and again. Made it using a medium salsa and it was very spicy. Best part about the recipe, it is EASY to make. Perfect for a busy weeknight. Thank you for sharing this recipe with us.

45. Jenna says

Amazing recipe! I just put it in the slow cooker again this morning for the second time in as many months. It is delicious and perfectly adaptable to whatever I have on hand (or don’t as is usually the case). It’s also SUPER easy, even for the slow cooker!! Thanks!!!

46. Joy says

My family and I absolutely LOVE this recipe! Some quick questions for you. With a 3 lb. pork tenderloin, should I triple the recipe? Would 8 hours be a sufficient cook time for this size? Thanks for your help!

Trackbacks

1. […] post that before I left for the 19-miler, I threw some chicken in the slow cooker, using this recipe. I knew that after the run I would be in no mood to cook. When I got home, my house was filled with […]

2. […] Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork via Andie over at Can you Stay for Dinner? – This was FABULOUS. I used a 1lb. Hormel brand Extra Lean Pork Tenderloin and didn’t add in the salt (there was sodium already in the tenderloin). After I put all the ingredients in to Myfitnesspal it came out to be 166 calories per serving of Pork (4 servings total) – use some healthy tortillas and you have yourself a really low calorie meal! We ate ours with 100 calorie packs of wholly guacamole, chopped roma tomatoes, and lettuce. Definitely will be making these again SOON! […]

3. […] Quesadilla {5} Gimme Some Oven Perfect Guacamole {6} How Sweet It Is Chicken Enchilada Pizza {7} Stay for Dinner Slow Cooker Mexican Pulled Pork Tacos {8} Photo a Day Crock Pot Chicken Taco Chili {9} A […]