Honey Barbecue Meatloaf

by Andie Mitchell on March 9, 2011

Glazed barbecue meatloaf, mashed cauliflower, and salad

I still think of food as a reward. As a happy place. And I probably always will. Even though I’ve lost seven trillion pounds, and even though I’ve reconciled years of overeating by learning that it was never really about the food, I still find food to be the most reassuring, comforting, and loving thing at the end of a day.

Sliced barbecue meatloaf

I don’t know about you, but growing up, food was the best past time. Bored? Cereal takes time and the milk changes color. Sad? Swiss Cake Rolls really beat away the blues (especially when eaten with friends). At the movies? Tub of popcorn, two candy bars, and a Sprite. Scared? Powdered donuts release those knots building in your stomach. You get the idea. Food was, and is, fun, reassuring, and at the very least, something to do.

Barbecue meatloaf slices on plate

Meatloaf is quintessential comfort food. It reminds me of being ten, having moved to a new town, a school, and a class of kids who didn’t necessarily want to befriend the new girl. When the classmate on my left, Emily, told me sternly, “I can only share my blue marker with you. The rest are too special to borrow,” I knew I was in trouble. What kind of school is this? What kind of community raises kids with complexes about the spectrum of marker colors? Why does everyone smell faintly of peanut butter, grape jelly, and mulch?

I was out of place. Everyone had moved on to wearing jeans, and I was still in stretch pants. Stirrups no less. I matched too well. I wore gold earrings when others had those fancy schmancy stick-on blue pearlized stars and moons. Kids were growing up and in, farther away from chubby. And I was, to put it nicely, growing outward. I was sure that a monogrammed backpack could have remedied any, if not all, of this. At the very least, a snap bracelet would have won me a friend or two. I mean, duh.

Slowly, and by slowly I mean a week into the fourth grade, I found my way into a group. Theresa, Katie, and Nicole. I made sure I was outgoing, funny, cool even. I just wanted to feel less like an outsider. When you’re new, you work doubly as hard to be likeable, to find comfort, and to bond with the new place and the new people. It’s a survival skill.

And what I remember most vividly from that time, other than the pogs and Punky Brewster, is dinner on the first night in my new town where I felt a sense of calm. Meatloaf and mashed potatoes and telling my family that I had made friends with a few girls in my class. I remember bites of meatloaf, sweet corn, and gulping milk as I told them all about how embarrassing it is to not have the 64 box of Crayola, and only the 32. I still don’t know why they didn’t get it. Yet again, duh.

Barbecue meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad

My mother makes the best meatloaf in the western hemisphere. You can feel free to write off every other version you’ve tried before, and rest assured knowing that if you want tastes of comfort and love, if you want to be swaddled in delicious, then Medfield, Massachusetts is where you’ll need to go. My mother will welcome you with open arms, two sticks of butter, three dozen cookies, and no less than 42 questions of, “What can I get you to eat?” You will be happy. And full.

This is my take on meatloaf. A moist, smoky, and sweet rendition of one of my top ten favorite dishes. Daniel tells me he loves it as much as he loves me. That is to say, a lot. At least as much as his XBox.
And the best part? This tender meatloaf only requires a handful of ingredients, is a cinch to throw together, and will be one more meal in your recipe arsenal that warrants mashed potatoes and barbecue sauce.

Enjoy!

Ground beef, panko bread crumbs, barbecue sauce, mustard, salt, pepper

Toss one slice of soft white bread in your food processor and grind it into crumbs. The soft moisture from the bread will make for a really tender, juicy meatloaf. You can alternately use regular breadcrumbs, or panko, if you’d like.

Next, in a large bowl, use your hands to mix together 1 lb lean ground beef, the fresh bread crumbs, 1/4 cup of your favorite smoky barbecue sauce, 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce, 1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard (or dijon), 1 tablespoon honey, 1 teaspoon salt, and 1 teaspoon ground black pepper.

Meatloaf before glazing

Shape the mixture into a long, thick log and place in an oiled baking dish. Be careful not to pack the meat too tightly or you’ll end up with a very dense, tough loaf.

Glazing meatloaf with barbecue sauce

In a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, and 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce. Spread half of it evenly all over the meatloaf. Reserve the other half for serving.

Glazed meatloaf ready to bake

Bake for 45 minutes at 350 degrees F.

Barbecue meatloaf out of the oven

Remove the meat from the oven and let it stand for 5 minutes.

Barbecue meatloaf sliced

Slice and drizzle with the reserved barbecue sauce. Serve with mashed cauliflower and salad.

Barbecue meatloaf, mashed potatoes, salad

Honey Barbecue Meatloaf

serves 4

1 lb 90% lean ground beef
1 slice white bread, ground to crumbs in food processor -or- 2/3 cup panko bread crumbs
1 tablespoon plus 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon spicy brown mustard
1/2 cup smoky barbecue sauce, divided
2 tablespoons honey, divided
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Toss one slice of soft white bread in your food processor and grind it into crumbs.
In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together the ground beef, fresh bread crumbs, 1 tablespoon of the worcestershire sauce, the spicy brown mustard, 1/4 cup of the barbecue sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, salt, and black pepper.
In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining 1/4 cup barbecue sauce, 1 tablespoon honey, and 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce. Spread half of this mixture evenly all over the meatloaf. Reserve the other half for serving.
Bake for 45 minutes. Slice and drizzle with reserved honey barbecue sauce.

Nutrition info for 1 serving: Calories: 310, Fat: 14.9g, Cholesterol: 58.7mg, Carb: 25.8g, Fiber: 0.7g, Sugars: 20g, Protein: 16.8g

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean March 9, 2011 at 8:15 am

i love adding a glaze on top of meatloaf…makes it so much tastier!

Shanna, like Banana March 9, 2011 at 8:26 am

Growing up, I used to wish my Mom would make meatloaf, but she wasn’t that kind of Mom (the cooking type, you know). So now, I have this odd fascination that meatloaf is family food and I want to have it!

Erica March 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

This post makes me want to eat meatloaf really bad! I can’t wait to try your version with the BBQ sauce!

Megan March 9, 2011 at 8:57 am

POGS! My heart always skips a beat whenever someone makes reference to pogs, I loved them so. I wonder if my mom got rid of all of mine…That meatloaf looks awesome. I feel the same way about grilled cheese. No one makes them as good as my Dad.

Matt March 9, 2011 at 9:07 am

Can you believe that I’ve never had meatloaf?

Dee March 10, 2014 at 11:13 am

You’ve never had meatloaf? That’s incredible. You should cook this then!

MelissaNibbles March 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I still think of food as a reward and comforting. I think as long as our rewards and comforts are reasonable portion sizes and we don’t reward ourselves too often, this way of thinking can be okay.

Can You Stay for Dinner March 9, 2011 at 2:15 pm

Totally agreed. Food has so many meanings for me and as long as I’m aware of them, everything’s fine.

:Paula January 15, 2013 at 7:38 am

Instead of bread crumbs, oatmeal works well and I use steak sauce instead of mustard… Totally awesome!!!!

Maryellen March 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Andrea, that brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for the compliments.
I miss you!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Love Ma

Clarissa @ Sober and the City March 9, 2011 at 1:59 pm

DElectable! The bf attempted to make us meatloaf a few months ago and let’s just say it was the funniest meal we’ve ever had. It turned out orange and did not resemble meat at all. Half way through dinner (I was politely trying not to say how HORRIFIC it tasted) he goes “I just can’t take it anymore. This is the worst meatloaf I’ve ever had!” And we both ended up laughing so hard we were in tears talking about everything that went wrong. Long story short: epic meatloaf fail. I will try YOUR recipe next time!

Can You Stay for Dinner March 9, 2011 at 2:14 pm

Ahahaha, sometimes those recipe fails are the best memories. I made Daniel some mahi mahi tacos once and he absolutely hated them. We still talk about how awful they were!

Kim July 2, 2013 at 3:07 pm

This is in the oven now! Can’t wait to try it! Love your site!

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) March 9, 2011 at 4:28 pm

This looks delicious! I used to LOVE meatloaf and haven’t had it in ages. I think this needs to change. :)

tj March 9, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Serious Yum. Will be making. Thx

Stephanie @cookinfanatic March 9, 2011 at 8:35 pm

what a great twist on meatloaf, bookmarking this one!!!!

Jillian March 10, 2011 at 2:21 pm

That looks awesome! My hubby is a big BBQ fan, so he’d probably like this real well.

Patricia DeWit March 10, 2011 at 9:49 pm

My kids (and their friends) would argue that I make the best meatloaf, but hey, I’m happy to share the Best title with your mom. Every time I think of how disciplined you had to be to lose your weight I am inspired. Keep writing and cooking!

Nicole March 11, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Adding this one to my list… :)

Allie S. March 15, 2011 at 6:27 pm

I made this last night, and my husband and I agreed it was the best meatloaf we’ve ever had. :) Thanks!

Can You Stay for Dinner March 15, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Allie! This makes me so very happy! Thanks :)

Dolores June 13, 2011 at 10:51 am

OMG…your very first paragraph – SO SO me. And I’ve often wondered if I was the only one who felt that way. I haven’t found anything that gives me as much “controlled” pleasure as the pleasure I feel when I’m eating something comforting. Thank you for sharing this recipe (and your poignant story). I know I (and family) will enjoy this. I’ve learned that sweet, smoky and tangy flavors on/over/with meat is a winning combination. Yum…

Dolores June 17, 2011 at 8:26 pm

Made this two nights ago as the weather was quite cool. We loved every single morsel. I made a homemade smoky barbecue sauce and doubled the meatloaf recipe. We all found it flavorful and moist. I have been on a quest (several years now) for a meatloaf that was above average..this one is superior! It will be repeated.

I noticed the meatloaf was eggless so I was skeptical. I decided to stick with the recipe and resisted the temptation to tweak. The texture of the loaf was tender and did not fall apart. Perfect with a cheezy mac and cheese and green salad. Many thanks for sharing this delectable recipe, Andie! Winner! Dolores

Amanda August 22, 2012 at 6:56 am

I was going to double the recipe as well. Did you cook it the same as the recipe says or did you increase the cooking time?

Christine June 27, 2011 at 8:10 am

Mashed cauliflower? Really?? I thought those were potatoes. Beautiful salad here too. I stumbled upon your blog when I found the black bean burger recipe. Great recipes and great stories! Should I call them stories? How about words of wisdom. You have a good way with words. They really bring me into the moment that you are sharing with us. Keep up the good work!

Monica @ The Writer Chic August 6, 2011 at 9:48 am

Am planning to make the recipe this week, but what drove me to comment most was your first paragraph. LOVE! Love, love, love!

TracyDK September 28, 2011 at 3:42 pm

I don’t like meatloaf. I’ve never met a meatloaf I ever really liked but this one sounded soooo freaking good! So we tried it on Monday. And it was SO amazing. It was one of those foods that you kept wanting to eat because it was THAT good, no matter how full you were. Yeah…it was a HUGE success in our house. Even with me. The only problem I had was that I didn’t pack it tight enough. I took you to heart when you said not to because it would be too dense. Mine fell apart! *L* But for my first time cooking meatloaf (and I’m 36), I’m not complaining. :) Live and learn, I says! :D

Lindsay November 16, 2011 at 3:41 pm

I’m so looking forward to having this. It’s in the oven as I leave this comment. I am a HUGE meatloaf fan, but I have to cut back because I started Weight Watchers. Fortunately, this is only 8 points on WW. I’m using a Carolina BBQ sauce. I’m hoping the sweet and tangy will blend nicely. I also tried the Mashed Parmesean Cauliflower and it was WONDERFUL! I’m going to make them for my niece and nephew so they are tricked into liking caulifower. Thanks for posting these recipes! Your story is inspiring to me.

Charlotte January 8, 2012 at 3:45 pm

I think I just fell in love with meatloaf all over again! :o) Yummmmmm. I can’t wait to try this!

Billie February 2, 2012 at 9:25 am

I made this last night with the Parmesan Cauliflower Mash. The flavor on both was wonderful. However, my meatloaf just fell apart! Any ideas on how to hold it together?

Because I am single I froze a couple portions and am eager to see how they reheat.

Donna Davis March 7, 2012 at 7:56 am

Eggs are the secret to holding it together

Donna Davis March 7, 2012 at 7:55 am

Have never seen a recipe for meatloaf without onions and all that junk they put in it, this sounds truly GREAT!, and i can’t wait to try it.Thanks

Rebecca March 26, 2012 at 7:48 am

Delicious! We had this for dinner last night and it was a hit!! The only thing I changed was I left out the honey as I was using honey BBQ sauce and didn’t want the meatloaf to be too sweet. Very good!

Lindsay March 29, 2013 at 11:16 am

I was going to ask about this, as I grabbed honey barbecue… it does help to read comments first! haha.

Dennise March 28, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Its in the oven right now and looks yummy already

Dennise March 28, 2012 at 3:11 pm

OKay this was a hit YUMMMYYYY How do I pin this?

Elizabeth April 3, 2012 at 11:01 am

Made this one last week, and, wow, this is hands-down the best meatloaf I have ever had. Like, wow. The only substitution I made was using a sprouted grain english muffin instead of the white bread, because I never have white bread on hand. It was still perfectly moist (hate that word), so I don’t think the substitution was noticeable.

I was hoping to have leftovers to bring to work but my boyfriend had thirds (which never happens) so it was all gone.

Erin April 17, 2012 at 8:36 am

I made this for the first time about two months ago, and I am in love… this is my new favorite meatloaf recipe, and is pretty Weight Watchers friendly! Thanks so much for sharing.

Paolina April 27, 2012 at 5:05 pm

This is easily the best meatloaf I have ever tried. Ever.

Vanetta May 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

My husband has said he doesn’t like foods, and I make it my personal mission to find recipes to change his mind. WINNER!!! I always slightly alter things but I did stick with the main instructions and he LOVES this meatloaf. Plus he’s allergic to eggs so this was a win win. Fantastic recipe!

Alisha June 5, 2012 at 3:59 pm

Wonderful! My four year old and one year old ate it right up! They asked for seconds and thirds! This recipe will definitely be made more often in my house!

simple girl June 29, 2012 at 9:47 am

Hi Andrea,

First of all, I am so inspired by your story, your recipes and and your writing.

I love meatloaf and I’ve made your recipe two times. It’s delicious. But I’m having trouble getting it to stay together. The first time I used fresh bread crumbs and the second time I used saltines ground up a mini food processor.

Both times the meatloaf fell apart. I mean, completely fell apart. I had to heap piles of meatloaf chunks on our plate. Delicious, but not as pretty as slices. And it stuck to my pan horribly even though I sprayed it liberally with Pam.

Do you have any suggestions for me? Should I add an egg or…? I live at 6,000 ft elevation. Don’t know whether that has anything to do with it or not. But I’d love your help in figuring out how to make this recipe work for me. It’s so good.

Thanks!

Kristen McKinnon July 11, 2012 at 4:42 pm

So this is the 2nd time making this meatloaf for my family. It was a hit. I have 4 kids from 1 to 7 and they all loved it even my picky eater. So this time I doubled it and made 2 meatloafs….yum, thanks for the great recipe!

LibraryGirl62 August 5, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I just found this blog today-loving it already and I am so happy there are no ONIONS in your meatloaf :)

MandyRae August 16, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I used Progresso breadcrumbs, because I don’t have a food processor…the can has a picture of meatloaf on the front, so I figured they would be fine:) I’ve made this twice now, and I can’t get it to stay together! Any recommendations?!

Amanda August 22, 2012 at 6:13 am

This recipe is delicious. I’ve made it before & will be making it again for dinner guest this evening. I was wondering about the calorie count. I see it says one serving is 310 calories, but it doesn’t say how much 1 serving is. It says the recipe serves four. I find it hard to believe 1/4 of this delicious dish is only 310 calories.

Jackie August 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm

This meatloaf looks amazing. I have never really been a fan of meatloaf, but my family absolutely loves a Brown Sugar Glazed recipe that I make. I am certain this will be a hit so I making this tomorrow. Thanks so much for sharing.

Maria September 5, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Made this tonight…added cheese and used turkey…LOVED IT! It was moist, spicy, and had a nice complex flavor! This is added to my “regulars”

Lisa October 12, 2012 at 11:59 am

What is the oven temp?

richard miller October 13, 2012 at 1:33 am

Looks yummy gonna try it. I need a new meat loaf recipe.

Judy Dinsmore October 13, 2012 at 7:28 pm

THIS IS DELICIOUS!!!!! I HAD LOW EXPECTATIONS BECAUSE WE LOVE MY ORIGINAL MEATLOAF, BUT THIS IS BETTER!!!! LOVE IT!!!!!

Victoria October 14, 2012 at 4:15 pm

OH MY GOODNESS… is all i can say about this recipe! I made it tonight for the very first time and cannot say enough great things about it. For not having a gravy, the meatloaf stays extremely moist. The glaze that forms the top of the meat loaf is simply amazing. This will def. be a repeat meal in our house!

nosogirl October 14, 2012 at 6:34 pm

I made this today and have to say it was just so-so. For whatever reason it was sort of mushy – i think adding all that bbq sauce into the meat was too much liquid. And for me, the bbq taste was too overwhelming. I think I’ll be sticking with my traditional meatloaf.

Breeshark October 16, 2012 at 5:42 pm

I thought mine was fine but its still mooshy …. I’m scared to put it any longer, the top of looks done. The inside just broke apart like meat lava lol being a hOuswife is hard.

Seidy October 22, 2012 at 4:51 pm

OMG! I feel like a Pavlov dog right now!, But…u guys just missed the crispy BACON on top! as a cherry on top of the icing….great recipe and easy to do, thanks!

Karine October 25, 2012 at 1:01 pm

It just completly fell appart… Sooo dissapointed… How can i fix it??? More bread crumbs??? Eggs??? Plz help

Seidy October 25, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Nooo! No eggs!, it will make it fall appart eaven more! just add more bread crumbs.
Good luck!

Colleen October 26, 2012 at 11:09 am

I made this last night. It was simple to prepare. I had all the ingredients, I don’t have a food processor so just chopped the slice of bread as tiny as I could with a sharp knife. I cooked it 15 minutes longer than you said, mostly because my rice wasn’t finished yet ;-). It was a huge success and a hit with hubby and kids! There was nothing left!! The only thing I’d change is not drizzling the BBQ sauce on after cooking, as it made the top pieces too strong. It was amazing in every other way. The family gave it two thumbs up and a 5 star rating. We will add it to our roster of meals to cook again. Thanks for sharing.

wintersundays November 1, 2012 at 5:55 pm

Made this for dinner tonight! Big hit. I doubled the ingredients for a larger crowd. Sadly, it didn’t stay together. I wanted slices of meatloaf. The family didn’t mind at all! They loved it as is :-)

Sally January 5, 2013 at 7:05 pm

Just made this for dinner, everyone loved it. Will stay in meal rotation in this house ;)

Ebony January 8, 2013 at 2:57 pm

I used this recipe as my first attempt at meatloaf for my family. It was a total SUCCESS! I added 1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers and 1/2 chopped yellow onion. I didn’t have spicy mustard so I used low sodium soy sauce.
Thank you for posting such a yummy meatloaf!

Amada January 9, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Just tried this recipe last night for my boyfriend and I and we loved it!!! So quick and easy to make! Only changes I made was substituting the beef for ground turkey instead. Delicious! Thank you for sharing!! :)

Nikki January 10, 2013 at 6:34 pm

This was GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Becky M. January 14, 2013 at 7:16 am

I made it for my family last week and it was DELICIOUS!!!

kasey January 14, 2013 at 10:59 pm

Me and my mom made this for dinner tonight…it was so deliscious!!! Thanks for the recipe!

Alejandrina January 26, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I made this yesterday and OH MY GOD!!! So delicious!!! Best meetloaf ever!! Thanks for sharing!!

Carol February 5, 2013 at 1:36 pm

I have my own meatloaf that we love, but ours sounds and looks so yummy, I want to try it. Mahalo.

Donna February 7, 2013 at 11:14 pm

What tempo is the oven?

admin February 8, 2013 at 9:53 am

Hey Donna,

Bake it at 350!

Robyn February 11, 2013 at 3:43 pm

I really want to make this but I don’t have a food processor! How could I chop the bread up? And also, I usually have wheat bread on hand, would that do fine as well, or is white bread the best decision?

admin February 11, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Hey Robyn,

Do you have a blender, by any chance? I wonder if that would work to grind the bread into crumbs?

And yes, feel free to use the wheat bread in place of white!

Carla February 19, 2013 at 9:03 pm

I made this tonight. I followed the recipe to the letter. It didn’t hold together very well which was no big deal. The problem was that it was way too peppery. I feel like I must have done something wrong but I checked and rechecked and can’t see what I might have done. I think a tsp. of pepper is too much.

Cindy Tannen February 22, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I made this today.. doubled the recipe… it i a very soft loaf, not able to slice it, it is more like sloppy joe in texture… no egg? not sure why it didn’t come out firmer, flavor, bbq sauce is a little over powering but the glaze is great!

Lisa March 3, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Not sure what i did wrong, maybe using turkey wasn’t a good idea bc mine fell apart. In fact, i cooked it for 1hr4 min and it was kind of mushy…was scared the meat wasn’t done. Besides the texture…flavor was fab. I used Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce.

Stephanie March 7, 2013 at 2:38 am

How do you make mashed cauliflower? Do we do the same way as for potatoes?? I hate cauliflower – so does my kids. I am trying to come with healthier version of meal. So I want to trick everyone to eat veggies and use cauliflower instead.

Andie March 7, 2013 at 10:23 am

Hey Stephanie,

Here’s my version of Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower: http://www.canyoustayfordinner.com/2011/03/03/parmesan-mashed-cauliflower/

It’s pretty great :)

Alissa March 10, 2013 at 11:17 pm

BEST. MEATLOAF. EVER. Thanks for sharing this recipe. My search for the perfect meatloaf is finally OVER! :)

Crystal March 12, 2013 at 6:20 pm

Made this tonight was super easy but very disappointed it was so mushy couldn’t even slice def not ur moms meatloaf!

Doris Evich March 16, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I read your blog in reference to the above meatloaf & my heart just smiled, as I too had memories sorta like yours, wanting to fit in with the others, etc. Going to try this recipe as I love meatloaf w/mashed potatoes. Thanks for sharing!

Chris March 16, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I think I figured out why the meatloaf turned out mushy. In the top paragraphs, it says to add 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce to the meat mixture. That’s the directions I was following. Afterward, I saw the recipe down below – and that had only a 1/4 cup of bbq sauce added to the meat. I’m guessing that made the difference.

Cindy Tannen March 21, 2013 at 7:32 pm

that was my mistake too!

Noelle March 18, 2013 at 7:04 pm

Made this tonight, loved it!!! Will definitely be making this again:-)

Amy M March 23, 2013 at 7:53 pm

This was delicious! I had the same problem w the loaf falling apart…but it was still good! Thanks for the receipe!

Sully_04 April 1, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Made this last week.. just forgot to post.. ooops! It was really good! I haven’t made meatloaf in years.. thought I’d give Andie’s recipe a shot.. and it did not fail me! Moist, saucy, and with a kick! I did add bell pepper and onion.. just because. My husband LOVED it! He made a meatloaf sandwich with the leftovers! Thanks again Andie!

Christy Bergeron April 10, 2013 at 8:36 pm

I made this meatloaf tonight & everyone loved it! Thanks for sharing such a yummy recipe. Keep them coming! Christy

Trice April 11, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I just made your meatloaf and it is awesome…

Erin April 20, 2013 at 4:44 pm

Made this last night and it was delicious! Thanks for a tasty dinner.

Jackie J April 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I have tried and failed before with meatloaf recipes. This was great! Thanks so much for sharing it! :)

Karen April 26, 2013 at 1:14 am

I feel like I’ve been looking for a really good eggless meatloaf recipe for SO long, but the quest ended tonight when I made yours! My husband and kids kept walking through the kitchen (always a good sign), telling me it smelled great (the signs are getting great). Then, at the dinner table, my son (who dislikes eating ground meats of any sort or in any recipe) tells me he could eat this again! I really do think the heavenly lights descended and the angels sang. In short, thank you! :)

teachermrw April 28, 2013 at 7:01 pm

Very tasty, have made this twice thus far: a mini-loaf for myself, and then the full-size version or my Dear Parents and Dear Brother. Thoroughly enjoyed by all. My Dear Brother had seconds. My Dear Mom still talks about how delicious it was. I think, however the next time, for my family, I’ll add finely chopped onion and finely chopped green bell pepper, and perhaps use the meatloaf mix, i. e. ground beef, veal ad pork.

Iris May 31, 2013 at 8:17 am

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!!!!!! This is the BEST meatloaf I’ve ever had…it even beats out my Chipotle Turkey Meatloaf that I make quite often to impress my guests. My husband couldn’t stop raving about it as he devoured it for dinner last night. I am sharing this recipe with every one I know…they, too, must have the pleasure of tasting this glorious meatloaf. Thanks for sharing!

Meg June 19, 2013 at 10:49 am

OH MY WORD!!! I usually don’t believe people when they say this is the best you will ever try. BUT it was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I tried this last night. It was WONDERFUL. I added onion for flavor since we love our onions and zucchini for filler and because we have so many zucchini that are bigger than my 9 lb Chihuahua that I put it in everything. It was so moist and yummy the glaze was delicious. I served with roasted yellow squash and zucchini and mashed potatoes. It is going in our recipe books!!

Tali June 23, 2013 at 2:09 am

Made this over the weekend and it was DELICIOUS! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Tallya June 24, 2013 at 1:16 am

Hi! Thanks for the recipe, this is going on my list. I only prepare meat once a week so there is a list for meat dishes lol

I like to read comments on recipes :) so I read all the ones here and kinda feel a bit nerdy now…. I think it would cause less confusion if you changed the 1/2 cup bbq sauce in the top portion (you know, where the pics of the process are) As far as I understand, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup sauce all together, 1/2 of that in the loaf and 1/2 on top. I think you accidentally wrote 1/2 cup instead of just 1/2 ;)

Andie Mitchell June 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

Fixed! Thanks Tallya!

Lori June 27, 2013 at 1:01 pm

First recipe I made from your site and it was DELISH!! Can’t wait for my husband to try some tonight…thank you!

Kim July 3, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I made this yesterday and am already planning to make it again. It was the best meatloaf I’ve ever tasted! So simple, yet soooo delicious! Everything I have made from you site has been a huge hit! Thank you so much!

Hannah August 5, 2013 at 7:47 pm

I found this recipe on pinterest, and I have never made meatloaf before and thought I would finally give it a try. I had one slice out of it and my husband ate the rest on me. I am making it as a type this so I can finally have another slice. This is an awesome recipe! Thank you! :)

Danica August 7, 2013 at 8:49 pm

I made this tonight and it was just so perfect. Thank you! And thank you for including the nutrition facts. Saves me from having to do it myself. Love your blog so much!

Therese August 9, 2013 at 2:13 pm

I wanted to lick the plate…….ok, maybe I did. So delicious.

Haley August 9, 2013 at 2:22 pm

Oh my goodness. I am making this tonight! Happy Friday indeed!

Kim August 27, 2013 at 2:12 pm

I’ve made this recipe at least 30 times (probably more). I use a sweet and spicy BBQ sauce and for the glaze at the end, I add a few splashes of Tabasco sauce. It gives it a slight kick which makes it super tasty! Thanks for the recipe!

Candace August 30, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Made this last night…. swoon. My husband hates meatloaf… scratch that, he loathes it entirely. I decided to try this recipe in hopes that I could change his mind and cook meatloaf to whenever my heart desired. IT WORKED!!! He loved it so much he took leftovers to work the next day. I’ll never make meatloaf my old way ever again! Thanks!

Kerry September 13, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Andie, I am a new reader but I just love your blog.
I made this meatloaf last night and it was a hit! The last time I attempted making meatloaf it was a disaster, but your version helped me redeem myself. I made a couple of tweaks based on my preferences and some of the user comments. I used 93% lean ground turkey instead of beef, and I baked it at 350 for the first twenty minutes and 375 for the last 25 minutes. It was great, the first piece out of the pan fell apart a bit but the rest of it held together and sliced very nicely. Between the BBQ sauce in the mixture and the glaze on top, it had plenty of flavor so I opted not to add the extra sauce when I served it. I might try using 99% lean ground turkey next time, I thought it might make the meatloaf too dry, but there was quite a bit of juice in the bottom of the baking pan, plus the BBQ sauce and honey keep it so flavorful it just might work. Thanks again, I look forward to trying more of your recipes and continuing to follow your story.

Theresa September 21, 2013 at 3:57 pm

Thank you! I just made it. So easy and perfect. God bless you!

Laurence September 28, 2013 at 7:31 pm

I am genuinely plesased to glance at this webpage posts which
consists of plenty of valuable data, thanks for providing such data.

Lori October 5, 2013 at 6:58 am

Hi would you suggest freezing before baking or after? Loved this!

Andie Mitchell October 5, 2013 at 9:28 am

Hey Lori!

Thank you! I’d say: mix up the meatloaf, form it into a log, then wrap it tightly in two layers of plastic wrap and freeze it before baking. Thaw it completely before you want to cook it. I haven’t tried this with meatloaf, but I’ve done it with other things, like meatballs (without the plastic wrap), with good results. Let me know how it goes!

Kelly Perez October 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

I made this for dinner tonight, and my husband and I loved it! I think I maybe didn’t mix it long enough though, because it fell apart a bit for me when I sliced it. :( Sooooo delicious, though! Thank you, Andie, for being such an inspiration and for posting so many wonderful recipes!!! I’ve been addicted to your blog since I found it!

Annie October 21, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Just wanted to let you know that I have been using this recipe for over 1 yr,. now & will never use another meatloaf recipe. The kids love it, hubby loves it & I LOVE it!!

Ernestine November 2, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Am inspired by your weight loss blog. Thank you. I make the worst meatloaf so am eager to try this one. Thanks again.

Shannon November 6, 2013 at 11:38 pm

I am making this right now for the second time! The first time I made it, I made the recipe exactly. I packaged up half of the loaf to give to my comfort food loving boyfriend (he’s a meat and potatoes kind of guy) and he loved it SO much that today he brought me SIX pounds of ground beef for me to make him a whole bunch of meatloaves to keep in his fridge/freezer for the next couple weeks. We’re poor college students so this kind of buying in bulk and making/freezing ahead of time thing happens often! Anyway, I currently have 7 mini meatloaves baking in my oven and they smell amazing. He will be so excited to pick these up! I’m pretty sure this is our favorite meatloaf recipe EVER! Thanks so much!

Kathy November 21, 2013 at 8:54 pm

I just have to say that I am amazed at how good this is! My kids would never eat meatloaf before but they LOVED this one!! What a great recipe!

lawyer_girl December 2, 2013 at 5:42 am

Delicious! My 18-month old daughter has an egg allergy, and we haven’t had meatloaf since she was born. I had a craving for meatloaf, so I searched the web for eggless meatloaf and found your recipe. It was amazing. We had family in town so I doubled the recipe. Good thing I did, because everyone wanted seconds – including my baby girl! Thank you!

Rachel December 29, 2013 at 7:53 pm

I made this tonight and it was superb! Neither my husband nor I had ever had meatloaf before, and we agreed it was delicious. Our picky 3 1/2-year-old had seconds, probably the first time that’s ever happened. I made it with ground turkey since I don’t eat beef, and based on other comments that said it fell apart upon cutting, I added one egg as a binder. It sliced perfectly, so for those concerned about crumbling, try adding an egg. Even with the turkey it was so moist and full of flavor – and SO easy! This is going in my meal rotation for sure!

Debbie February 13, 2014 at 5:44 pm

I absolutely LOVE this meatloaf! I make it 1-2 times a month and my 3 yr old and 18 month old just devour it. Thanks!

Jess June 2, 2014 at 5:50 pm

thought you’d like to see this … seems they’ve stolen your recipe and notations almost word for word!

Claudia June 5, 2014 at 7:35 pm

I have to say I´m not the best cook in the world but I made this yesterday and it was a HUGE success!! my husband asked for seconds (which he never does unless it is lasagna) and my 6 years old did too and she ate both plates in 30 minutes, which is unbelievable…..she NEVER EVER has asked for a second plate and she usually takes one hour to eat one single plate of food….or two if I´m not next to her begging for her to eat!!! she says she wants to eat this every day so I´m making this again tomorrow…..thank you so much Andie for sharing this simple, yet wonderful, recipe!!!! cheers from Lima, Peru.

Janice Welch August 1, 2014 at 8:06 pm

Great story that I can relate to in terms of moving to new places and having to try harder than the average person to fit in. The recipe looks great, too! Will certainly give it a try. All the best – Janice