Healthy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

by Andie Mitchell on March 12, 2011

Homemade chicken soup

First, thank you all for the tremendous love and affection you gave on my last post. You make sharing my life worthwhile.

Next order of business: I make this chicken noodle soup nearly every weekend. Mainly because it works as an olive branch for when I’ve told Daniel, ‘You are the stupidest person in the whole wide world,‘ following an ordinary round of Jeopardy.  But also, because soup is, you know, sustenance.

Homemade chicken soup

And making a big pot of soup will provide me with no less than five delicious and filling meals for the week ahead, which leaves me with ample time to fulfill all of my other pressing obligations. Baking cookies, thinking about Hostess cupcakes, writing letters to major companies and the city of Las Vegas, discovering pictures of myself on Daniel’s iPhone, organizing my nail polishes, finding things to dip bread into…

I’m a very busy person, as you can imagine.

Homemade chicken soup

Here’s how it’s done:

Roasted whole chicken

Remove all chicken meat from bird

Homemade chicken stock

In a large stock pot, combine the chicken bones with 2 quarts of good quality chicken broth. Essentially, I’m doubling the flavor of traditional homemade stock by boiling the bones in it. The resulting broth will be full of rich chicken flavor and will taste as though you’ve slowly simmered it all day long.

Removing bones from homemade chicken stock

Removing bones from homemade chicken stock

Carrots, celery, onion, in chicken stock

Now, to that pot of stock, add 4 large carrots, chopped, 4 stalks of celery, chopped, one medium onion, chopped, 2 bay leaves, 2 teaspoons salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, 2 sprigs of fresh parsley, and 3 sprigs fresh thyme. Let this simmer for 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft.

homemade chicken soup

Add all of the chicken meat to the pot and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional and final 30 minutes, then stir in 3 cups of your favorite cooked small shape pasta and 2 cups of thawed sweet peas.

Homemade chicken soup

Serve a big bowl with fresh, crusty bread, and then portion the rest of it into big glass containers to eat throughout the week!

Freezing homemade chicken soup

3 sprigs fresh thyme

2 sprigs parsley

2 teaspoons salt

1 teaspoon black pepper

3 cups cooked small shape pasta, I like to use ditalini, orzo, or acini di pepe

2 cups frozen sweet peas, thawed

Start by roasting a whole chicken, rubbed completely with canola oil, for 1 hour 45 minutes at 400 degrees F. Let the chicken cool enough so that you can handle it, then peel off all skin, discard it, and cut the chicken meat into bite sized pieces.

In a large stock pot, combine the chicken bones with 2 quarts of good quality chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove the bones from the broth with a slotted spoon. Discard them.

Now, to that pot of stock, add carrots, celery, onion, bay leaves, salt, black pepper, and fresh thyme. Let this simmer for 30 minutes, until the veggies are soft. Add all of the chicken meat to the pot and stir to combine. Simmer for an additional and final 30 minutes. Remove the bay leaves and thyme. Stir in cooked pasta and peas and serve.

Nutrition info per serving: Calories: 288.7, Fat: 4.1g, Cholesterol: 89.9mg, Carb: 36.1g, Fiber: 3.5g, Sugars: 4.2g, Protein: 27.7g

haya March 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

what a coincidence! when grocery shopping last night, i decided that i felt like some chicken noodle soup this week, so i picked up all the stuff. i think i might go with some thick, doughy udon noodles instead of normal pasta though.

Can You Stay for Dinner March 12, 2011 at 9:18 am

LOVE the idea of doughy udon noodles! Great one, Haya!

Evan Thomas March 12, 2011 at 9:21 am

There’s nothing like homemade chicken noodle soup from scratch, and I say that not even sure that I’ve ever had it completely from scratch. Looks delicious.

britt wil be fit March 12, 2011 at 9:56 am

Hope you don’t mind this question in this area…
but found your blog..and it’s written so well with SO much information.

I ‘m curious on when you were losing your weight ,how many calories did you consume…and then when it came to maintaince…how many do you consume….and do you still count calories?
thanks for answering this question..appreciate it!

Can You Stay for Dinner March 13, 2011 at 9:23 am

Hi Britt!

Thanks for the sweet words! While losing, I did Weight Watchers for a few months and I just counted their points (maybe it was around 29? I can’t remember) but I think their point allotment is fewer calories than I’d recommend now (maybe 1300 in some cases). I started counting calories after going off of WW halfway through my weight loss, and then stuck to 1600. Once I lost all the weight, I did a slew of experimenting to find the right number for me. I have tried eating nearly every calorie number- 2800, 2400, 2000, you name it. I had absolutely no idea what my body would respond to because I had never been a normal weight before. Now, I eat between 2100 and 2400 calories a day, and am very very happy with that. And while I don’t count them up anymore, per se, I know the numbers so well now that it’s almost impossible for me to not know where I’m at. Does that make sense? I should write a big post about this, because I got another similar question! Thanks!

Andrea

My Grandparents' Kitchen March 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

Life is uncertain. Eat dessert first. ~Ernestine Ulmer

Bee March 12, 2011 at 1:02 pm

I need to get over my fear of roasting chicken so I can try this…

Can You Stay for Dinner March 13, 2011 at 9:25 am

Bee, you will be amazed at how easy the chicken roasting is. Seriously just toss it in the oven at 400 for 1 hour 45 minutes (as long as it’s between 4 and 5 pounds), and it will be perfect!

Andrea Campbell November 8, 2013 at 3:37 pm

I only have a 2 1/2 pound chicken…do I still cook it for 1 hour 45 min??

Lauren at Keep It Sweet March 12, 2011 at 1:41 pm

This soup looks delicious! I’ve actually never made homemade chicken soup before so I’ll have to save this recipe:-)

Lisa March 12, 2011 at 3:34 pm

I’ve always wanted to make my own chicken noodle soup. The canned just seems lacking to me.

Lisa (Dishes of Mrs. Fish) March 12, 2011 at 4:40 pm

I love homemade chicken noodle soup! Sometimes I make it with chickpeas! Still delicious!

ahlterra March 12, 2011 at 8:09 pm

I’m curious why you didn’t sautee or roast your veggies first? Sometimes I’ll roast them up with some added seasoning just for a bit more flavor. Although I guess that’s not traditional. I also like to add curry powder and lemon juice to my chicken soup. Love it with lemon soup.

I need to make a roast chicken one of these days.

Can You Stay for Dinner March 12, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Typically, I do saute the veggies, but this time I figured it would be so much simpler if I could just use one pot for everything- making the stock, etc. I think sauteing is wonderful though!

thecompletecookbook March 12, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Nothing quite as comforting as a good homemade chicken soup. Yummy. :-) Mandy

Babygirl March 13, 2011 at 12:23 am

I love this chicken noodle recipe. It reminds me of the way my mom makes her chicken noodle soup. I really enjoyed reading this post.

Nicole March 13, 2011 at 3:42 am

This is so close to how my mom makes her chicken stew… except it actually has measurements as apposed to stating “a pinch of this” and a “speck of that.” Ha, ha. Can’t wait to try it!! (No lie, when I make my grocery list now, I look through your website first. I’ve been making at least one of your recipes a week, and they’re SO good!!). :)

Can You Stay for Dinner March 13, 2011 at 8:09 am

Love you Nicole :)

Rachel Chemerynski March 13, 2011 at 4:55 pm

YUM. You are making me crave a big homemade bowl of my grandmother’s chicken noodle soup right now. Looks lovely!

Jan March 20, 2011 at 9:26 am

Is there a reason that you add cooked pasta instead of cooking it in the soup? Also where do we gat the chicken stock for the soup base?

Can You Stay for Dinner March 20, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Hi Jan! I add cooked pasta because I don’t want the dry noodles to soak up too much of the broth as they soften and cook in the soup water. You could cook them in the soup, but then I’d recommend increasing the amount of chicken broth in the pot first by at least 2-3 cups. My favorite chicken broth is anything organic (personal choice because I like that the ingredient list is short and natural), but Kitchen Basics makes a good version too! You can use any kind you like- Swanson is OK too. Thanks!

Johnny March 30, 2011 at 8:47 pm

Come cook things for me.

Ashley April 6, 2011 at 7:25 am

Just came across your site from Kevin and Amanda’s(who I love) and I am also loving yours. Congrats on your weight loss, what an accomplishment!! Was considering trying this soup this week, but was wondering if you can use smaller “pieces” of chicken? Like quarters, breasts, legs, etc. I have a large pack of legs and a large pack of quarters, taking up far too much room in my freezer, Ive been wanting to use for a while now! Cant wait to try!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 6, 2011 at 7:58 am

Hi Ashley! Thank you! Of course- you can absolutely use another form of chicken. Just saute them in olive oil or roast them with olive oil (with the skin on if you can), then remove the skin and cut into chunks!

Katie April 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm

Thank you for this recipe! I substituted baby portobello mushrooms for the peas and loved it! Also, I used whole wheat pasta, so it is an extremely healthy dish. Overall, this soup has so much flavor, so thanks for posting the recipe.

Brittany November 9, 2011 at 8:35 am

I found your blog last night and have been on it ever since! I am in love! Your recipes look amazing! I love to cook but i dont know how to cook healthy. So i am so excited to start my weight lose journey with your blog and great recipes!

Claudia November 11, 2011 at 12:02 pm

This sounds delicious! I am so inspired by you! One question though, how much is a serving of this soup? Just a cup?

Amy Howe November 13, 2011 at 2:15 pm

I just stumbled across your blog and am so excited to try some of these recipes. One question-with other chicken noodle soup recipes I’ve used I’ve cooked the noodles right in the broth. Can you do this or do you recommend cooking them separate?

Stephanie November 15, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Hi, Andie! Just want to say I LOVE your blog and you are such an inspiration! Keep on keepin’ on!

This was my first attempt at Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup and I knocked it out of the park! Other soup recipes I’ve tried are sometimes bland, but this one is spot on. I’m looking forward to trying more of your soup recipes or whatever else you recommend to help keep warm on a chilly day. Thanks again!

chantel December 7, 2011 at 12:05 pm

i found your website because someone i knew on pintrest retagged your recipe, i took one look and now im hooked! im making this recipe as i write, cant wait to try it!

Chantel December 7, 2011 at 12:06 pm

this may be a silly question, but how much do you consider a serving?

Leara December 23, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Hi!

I was wondering if this freezes well – I have a small family, but LOVE LOVE LOVE chicken noodle soup!

Thanks!

Ele January 5, 2012 at 11:48 am

Well I know what I’m making for dinner!!!
Great pictures. I hope mine looks as good!

Debbie Herbrandson January 29, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Just beginning weight watchers so I am excited to see your recipes! I will add Napa cabbage to soup…Soups delicious!

Melissa February 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

Love this! My new fav. Thank u!

Emily February 14, 2012 at 8:15 pm

Just made it! My anti-soup husband even admitted it was good! Nothing like soup for lunch on winter days. Thanks for the recipe!

Vanessa April 21, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Making this soup right now… just waiting on the chicken. I have always been so afraid of cooking and so afraid of messing up, but since finding your blog I have tried about 5 of your recipes and they were all hits. Thank you for giving me the confidence to cook and courage to try in the first place. THANKS A BUNCH!!

Em June 7, 2012 at 3:33 pm

Hey I’m a college student and have a very small kitchen (and just now experimenting with cooking a lot). How much different would it taste if i used a rotisserie chicken?

Andie June 7, 2012 at 5:10 pm

It would be fantastic with rotisserie chicken!

Maddy June 21, 2012 at 4:37 pm

In the picture it looks like you use green onions and garlic in your soup. Do you?

Lauren September 11, 2012 at 2:32 pm

Can you make it available to share on pinterest?

Meaghan September 26, 2012 at 11:02 am

Andie! I made your chicken soup last night and it was amazing! What great flavor and it tastes so healthy but definitely hearty! This will be a new staple for me. I found you through a friend’s pin on pinterest and have been enjoying your blog posts. You go girl! Good luck with your book! :)

Heather October 26, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Andie. I found your blog through Pinterest about two months ago. I’ve tried several of your recipes and every single one of them I love. I’m commenting here because I just finished this one and it is so much tastier than anything I’ve had out of a can. I even gave up on chicken noodle soup because it’s so bland. This is amazing. Thank you for sharing the recipes and your story. I enjoy reading this blog and I’m always finding new things. I love it so much I tell all of my friends about it.

Monica October 30, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Wait, so…….are you and Daniel back together? Did I miss this?

Kristy November 12, 2012 at 11:58 am

I made this last night, and it was absolutely delicious!! I’m just wondering how much a serving is so I can log my calories. Love love LOVE your blog!! I just discovered it about a week ago, and I’m addicted. I can’t stop reading your posts. Thanks for sharing with us. You are truly inspirational!! :-)

Mia December 15, 2012 at 1:46 am

This looks amazing! I know that you said the recipe serves 5, but how large are the servings? Can’t wait to whip this up!

Jennifer December 15, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I made this (didn’t put the bones back in because I’m lazy) and used a chicken from the grocery that was already pre-cooked; but it was really good (and filling) soup! I would definitely make it again… and if I took it to lunch I wouldn’t feel as deprived as if I was eating Campbell’s chicken soup… Thanks for the great recipe!

Holly January 21, 2013 at 8:34 am

How much of the soup did you eat at one serving?

admin January 21, 2013 at 8:53 am

Hi Holly, I probably eat about 2-3 cups as a serving.

Sallie February 20, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I’m making this soup right now! Instead of roasting, all i had on had this chilly Phoenix night was breasts. I sautéed chicken breasts with the oil then added the other stuff to the chicken drippings and broth for 30, then add the veggies and spices. Smells yummiest! Will let you know

Andrea March 6, 2013 at 11:21 am

I loved roasting the chicken first to eliminate fat from this soup. I added a sliver of habanero pepper for a slight kick. I also added spinach at the end. Very delicious wholesome soup. Thank you for all your beautifully illustrated yummy recipes.

Frieda March 28, 2013 at 5:19 pm

I really would like to cook this but I am scared of cooking a whole chicken :D

Stephanie May 17, 2013 at 9:06 pm

This was SO good!! We all loved it & I will definitely be making it again!!

Stephanie May 20, 2013 at 4:47 am

Congrats on your weightloss. I just wanted to say I love your website, thank you for helping us to reach a healthy weight.

Debbie April 1, 2014 at 7:16 pm

I’ve made another homemade chicken soup recipe, but this one is awesome. My 84 year old dad always refers to my chicken soup and says its the best he’s had!! So thanks for a healthy tasty soup.