Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette

by Andie Mitchell on March 31, 2011

cookie bars, straw bars, quinoa 073

Lots of days I wake up, drink six cups of coffee, eat breakfast, read the news, and then…feel as though I could stand to catch a few extra winks. I shoot loving glances at my bed. Daniel’s quiet breathing sounds like a lullaby. Those covers. The silky white sheets. That warm spot next to his feet. Ah and that one pillow…Something on the order of a six hour coma is really all I’d need to right myself.

Daniel tells me this is unreasonable. And for the life of me I can’t imagine why.

So on these sleepy days (read: everyday), I like to plan a simple, simple meal for lunch and dinner. A quick bowl of quinoa, garbanzo beans, chopped vegetables, and some sweet meets savory sauce. My ratio, for one happy helping,  is generally 1 cup quinoa + 1 cup beans + 1 cup vegetables. The bowl as full as my future belly. It’s lovely.

Here is my latest saucy love. I toss her with hot, freshly fluffed quinoa and crisp chopped vegetables.

Bright. Fresh. Hearty. Sharp and velvety from the parmesan. Drizzle it on salad or a bowl of warm grains.

Lemon Parmesan Vinaigrette

makes 1 cup, or 8 servings

¼ cup fresh lemon juice

2 tablespoons white wine vinegar

¼ teaspoon salt

¼ teaspoon black pepper

1 tablespoon sugar

¼ cup finely grated parmesan cheese

¼ cup extra virgin olive oil

Whisk all ingredients except for oil until well combined. Slowly drizzle in the oil, whisking constantly until the mixture is completely combined.

Store dressing in a covered container at room temperature for up to 5 days or in the refrigerator for up to 3 weeks.

cookie bars, straw bars, quinoa 081

Nutrition for 1 serving (2 tablespoons):

Calories: 80, Fat: 7.7g, Cholesterol: 2.5mg, Carb:1.7g, Fiber: 0g, Sugars: 1.6g, Protein: 1.3g

Liz @ Tip Top Shape March 31, 2011 at 8:38 am

That vinaigrette sounds delicious!!!! And I just bought some lemons from Trader Joes! Fate! lol

Can You Stay for Dinner March 31, 2011 at 8:40 am

Thanks Liz!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat March 31, 2011 at 8:39 am

This sounds lovely Andrea! I tend to do the same thing by mixing grains + protein + veggies and adding some sort of dressing. Usually mine is just a mix of balsamic vinegar and olive oil, but your lemon parmesan sounds delicious!

Amanda March 31, 2011 at 8:47 am

Yum! That looks so fresh and delicious!! The photos are beautiful!

Beth March 31, 2011 at 8:48 am

That sounds delicious Andrea! I love quinoa + bean salads. They’re also great with couscous instead of quinoa. I’ll have to try this dressing – yum!

Shanna, like Banana March 31, 2011 at 8:49 am

Ooo I actually have all these ingredients and love the combo of flavors. =)

kathy March 31, 2011 at 9:03 am

I am just so tickled with all your good recipes here. For the last couple of days i have been on the search for a good vinaigrette recipes…. So thank you my dear. Have a great day

Can You Stay for Dinner March 31, 2011 at 9:12 am

Megan (Braise The Roof) March 31, 2011 at 10:04 am

That sounds like the perfect dinner right about now…I may have to use you as inspiration tonight. :)

cleaneatingchelsey March 31, 2011 at 10:22 am

I love you so much right now. I just sent out a tweet that asked “what your favorite salad dressing” to get ideas. You totally came through for me. Thanks.!

Dishes of Mrs. Fish March 31, 2011 at 10:27 am

I wish my tired meals looked like this.
Mine goes usually like this: “Mr. Fish isn’t home again….looks like breakfast or cereal for dinner again.”
This looks great, Andrea. Doggie Fish agrees. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? March 31, 2011 at 11:02 am

Yum!! I always make my own salad dressing, but I make it one salad at a time. I should totally make a big batch of this instead. It sounds WAY better than my half assed dressing. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun March 31, 2011 at 11:52 am

That dressing sounds so refreshing and tasty!

Cindy March 31, 2011 at 12:09 pm

OH Sweets I have some catching up to do.

You make the tastiest food!
xo

Mary @ Delightful Bitefuls March 31, 2011 at 1:37 pm

This dressing sounds wonderful! And your pictures are so beautiful!

Great blog; happy I found you!

Mary xo
Delightful Bitefuls

MelissaNibbles March 31, 2011 at 2:50 pm

Perfect for the warmer temperatures.

I love the cute story too!

The Teenage Taste March 31, 2011 at 2:52 pm

That vinaigrette sounds fabulous – so summery! I think I’ll whip some up this weekend.

Your photos are beautiful! The first one is my favorite!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) March 31, 2011 at 3:24 pm

I am so obsessed with anything lemon flavored recently. It’s the warm weather- I crave fresh foods!

Kacie March 31, 2011 at 3:33 pm

I’m interested in making your quinoa + bean + veggie bowl. What chopped veggies do you like to add?

Bee March 31, 2011 at 4:46 pm

I feel like quinoa is food-trending like cupcakes and bacon, I’m seeing it EVERYWHERE but I’ve never had it. I’m skeptical as to if I’d even like it (is it served hot or cold?), but I’m assuming it’s good for you, right?

I’ll have to add it to my To-Cook List. Is this the ideal starter quiona recipe or is there a safer starter recipe I should try?

Mel April 1, 2011 at 6:05 am

Bee, you can eat it warm or you can put it in the fridge for cold salads, too, it’s very similar to couscous in a lot of its usage, I find. I’m pretty food-picky and not a huge grain/wheat fan, but I think quinoa tastes just fine. Not super awesome, but something I don’t mind eating at all. And it’s “trending” because people have realized how insanely healthy it is!! =)

I had it for the first time where I sautéed some onions & garlic, added veg broth & quinoa (plus a lil lemon juice & smidge of pepper), simmered 15 mins, added asparagus & simmered another 5, stirred in some sliced mushrooms (because I don’t make anything without them, haha) and cooked another min or two (at this point the water had pretty much all absorbed, so I probably slightly overcooked the quinoa, but tasted fine!), then stirred in some spinach & dished it up. Sprinkled Parmigiano-Reggiano over it, and ate. Was enjoyable! I’d suggest checking around for recipes that use it and seeing what one appeals most to you (fav other veggies included, etc) to try it first. =)

Can You Stay for Dinner April 1, 2011 at 6:07 am

Thanks for sharing, Mel!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl March 31, 2011 at 5:39 pm

This looks amazing! And it also looks like spring to me! YUM!

hungryhealthyhappy March 31, 2011 at 6:43 pm

This looks incredible! I always forget how much I love white beans with orzo–I’m sure quinoa is equally delish! Can’t wait to try it!

Nicole March 31, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I’m passing along the Versatile Blogger award to you… :) Check out my blog for the details, if you would like. :)

Danielle March 31, 2011 at 8:26 pm

This may sound silly..but what is a serving size for this dressing? And do you have the nutritional info for it?
It sounds delicious!:)

Can You Stay for Dinner March 31, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Hey Danielle! I updated the recipe with the nutrition- sorry I forgot! I’d say 2 tablespoons is a serving, like most dressings, and each serving is 80 calories. Thanks :)

Fire Crystals April 1, 2011 at 2:11 am

Your recipes and photographs are awesome. So here is an award to make it even more awesome- The Versatile Blogger Award.
Check it out here – http://merrymusing.wordpress.com/2011/04/01/an-award-for-lil-old-me/

Can You Stay for Dinner April 1, 2011 at 6:07 am

Thank you so much!! I’m very happy :)

johnny April 1, 2011 at 3:15 am

Simple, delicious, a perfect combination! :)

Jess @JessCantCook April 2, 2011 at 9:56 pm

This looks delicious and really easy! I’m going to have to try it soon, I’ve never made quinoa before!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 3, 2011 at 6:19 am

Thanks Jess :)

Jun April 4, 2011 at 2:26 am

It looks delicious! fresh and festive!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 4, 2011 at 6:42 am

Thanks Jun!!

DianaQ December 29, 2011 at 5:26 am

Great recipes, but what really got me was the Topo Chico bottles on the first picture. Oh wow, I haven’t had one of those in almost ten years! I miss them so much!

marcie April 21, 2012 at 12:12 pm

This recipe is so perfect with hearts of romaine, some finely chopped tomatoes and onions, little black pepper and feta cheese. Add some warm steak strips and it is the best dinner i’ve ever had!!! The dressing makes the entire meal!! cold salad with warm meat….. oh my goodness!! I could drink the stuff!!