Vegan Black Bean Burgers

falafel, souvlaki, BLT 148

Vegan Black Bean Burgers

makes 2

2 teaspoons olive oil

1/4 cup finely chopped onions

1/4 cup finely chopped carrots

1/4 cup finely chopped peppers (any color)

1/4 cup finely chopped mushrooms

2 cloves garlic, minced

2 tablespoons ketchup

2 teaspoons dijon mustard

2 teaspoons ground cumin

2 teaspoons ground chili powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

3/4 cup black beans

1/4 cup panko bread crumbs

Heat olive oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add your onions, carrots, and peppers. Saute for 4-5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the ketchup, mustard, cumin, chili powder, and salt. Stir to combine.

Remove vegetables from heat and set aside to cool. Once they’re cool enough to handle, place the vegetables into a food processor with the black beans and bread crumbs and pulse a few times to combine.

Form the mixture into two large patties. Place them on a foil-lined baking sheet coated lightly with oil and bake for 15 minutes at 450°. The burgers will hold together, but they’ll always be slightly mushy and have a tendency to crumble if handled too much. Just place them on a bun using a spatula and garnish with your favorite burger toppings.

Nutrition info for 1 black bean patty: Calories: 203.8, Fat: 5.6g, Carb: 32g, Fiber: 7.4g, Sugars: 6.1g, Protein: 7.7g

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 7, 2011 at 9:40 pm

definitely trying these! love the ingredient list. perhaps i’ll add some sweet potato?!

Melani Guinn June 25, 2012 at 1:49 pm

You never mention the mushrooms in the instructions. Are they cooked with the onions and carrots?

Meg April 7, 2011 at 9:42 pm

Anything that involves black beans and I’m in!

Question: how do you get your patties do symmetrical?

thecompletecookbook April 7, 2011 at 9:46 pm

These are the most wonderful vegan burgers I have seen. :-) Mandy

johnny April 8, 2011 at 3:27 am

Never tried any kind of burger that didn’t include some kind of meat but you could make anything look and sound good soooo we’ll give them a try. Never know might find a convert. :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 8, 2011 at 3:27 am

These look delicious! I should make them to balance out all the cookies:-)

cleaneatingchelsey April 8, 2011 at 4:24 am

I can’t even tell you how much I love you.

Frieda April 8, 2011 at 4:38 am

tried to buy black beans and could find them nowhere :(

Alison (Fueling for Fitness) April 8, 2011 at 4:44 am

Just when I thought I had my fair share of black bean burger recipes… I come across this. They look amazing and I’m definitely trying them!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 8, 2011 at 5:03 am

These sound so yummy! I love stuffing my burgers with veggies but haven’t quite got the proportions down yet. I’ll try yours next time! :)

Corinna April 8, 2011 at 5:07 am

These black bean burgers look so dang delicious. I love black beans and cannot wait to try these. Thanks for sharing!

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) April 8, 2011 at 5:07 am

These look wonderful, so packed with flavor. I love that they look like real burgers! Think I can fool my son into thinking they’re meat??? :)

allieksmith April 8, 2011 at 5:12 am

Your black bean vegan burgers looks and sounds simply amazing :) Yum! Thank you for sharing the recipe!

Matt @ The Athlete's Plate April 8, 2011 at 5:30 am

Delicious! Making these for lunch today!

Carissa April 8, 2011 at 5:53 am

Oh. My. I’m always looking for new vegan burger recipes. Now I want to eat one at 9am. Mmmm!

Nicole@HeatOvenTo350 April 8, 2011 at 7:13 am

This looks so delicious! I love all the ingredients.

Kelly April 8, 2011 at 7:17 am

YUM!! These looks fantastic!!

ericascime April 8, 2011 at 7:28 am

These are the best looking black bean burgers I have ever seen! I am currently defrosting my black beans as I write this :)

Alisa Fleming April 8, 2011 at 7:45 am

This is the recipe I have been looking for! Thank you for posting this, so many veggie burgers have egg or just don’t hit the mark with ingredients for me – these look fabulous!

Beth April 8, 2011 at 8:01 am

I loooove making my own veggie burgers. These look amazing!

Gina April 8, 2011 at 9:16 am

Yum, I’ve been looking for a new veggie burger recipe to try (and anything that involves ketchup, I love!)

Ashley @ Cupcakes & Combat Boots April 8, 2011 at 9:35 am

YUM! These look so good! I’ve had veggie burgers on my “To Make” list for a while now so this recipe may be the catalyst I need to actually make them! :)

Brittany (Eating Bird Food) April 8, 2011 at 9:45 am

These burgers look delicious. I make black bean burgers all the time but it’s always fun to try new recipes.

Jenny April 8, 2011 at 11:37 am

My mouth is watering! Love the burgers :D

Clarissa @ Sober and the City April 8, 2011 at 12:37 pm

These look super tasty! Much more delicious looking than bocca burgers or whatever I used to eat when I was a veg. I’m an omnivore these days, but I would eat your burgers over a meaty one anyday!

Ellen Renee April 8, 2011 at 2:48 pm

I am having a frozen purchased spicy black bean burger for dinner this evening ….was even looking forward to it….until I saw this. Will be making this very soon.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 8, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Oh I hate to be the one to spoil dinner :) Thanks for the kindness, though!

Sarah April 8, 2011 at 7:09 pm

oh yum! i have a recipe for black bean burgers that i use pretty often, but i like all of the extra veggies to added tho these! i’ll definitely try them next time!

Bee April 8, 2011 at 7:18 pm

There’s lots of words missing in this post! Where are you talking to cities in France? Or chatting with the readers about Chinese food? I like your silly commentary, it makes me smile :)

Also, the whipped cream on the cupcakes was just for the pictures, you best believe I drowned those things in it when I actually ate them! (Why does blogger not let me reply to comments? uuurg…)–I think that was you commenting, unless it’s a different andrea, lol

Can You Stay for Dinner April 8, 2011 at 8:22 pm

Thanks Bee!! Yes, that was me. Always wishing for more whipped cream in life :)

Bee April 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

PS I’ve had multiple black bean burgers and am always dissapointed because they are dry and not so flavorful. These do look good though, but I am hesitant!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 8, 2011 at 8:43 pm

Girl, you are speaking my language! I LOVE bean burgers!

Chocolate-Coated Runner April 8, 2011 at 8:58 pm

These looks absolutely delicious and the photographs are great. I would totally have one!

Daniella April 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

I make black bean burgers similar to these, but have found that if you mix the bean paste with textured soy it holds so much better. I usually make a big batch and thrown them in the freezer, they are as good as just made, or even better!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 8, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Thanks for the tip, Daniella :)

Jessica April 9, 2011 at 10:07 am

I’ll have to try these b/c I always buy the morning star ones but they have so much sodium. I went a more carnivorous route and made buffalo turkey burgers the other night that were slightly foodgasmic. Next time I’ll try to sneak the ol’ veggie burger past the hubs and see if he even notices… (muahaha…I’m an awesome wife.)

Emily April 9, 2011 at 10:54 am

Hi there. I have been reading your blog for a year now and although I’ve never commented, I thought you would like to know that I nominated you for Saveur’s 2011 Food Blog Awards.
Fantastic stuff!

Lu April 9, 2011 at 4:04 pm

Yummy!! This looks like the recipe I have for Black Bean Burgers. I would rather you would make these though. I’m injured… or lazy-ish. I’ll have to make these very soon.

Tammy McLeod April 9, 2011 at 7:43 pm

Your photos are fabulous and we are going to try these this week. Thanks so much for sharing.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 10, 2011 at 9:23 am

Thanks so much Tammy :)

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) April 10, 2011 at 4:40 am

These look so fabulous! I was just chatting about black bean burgers with my sister and cousin, and how I’ve still been searching for that “go-to” recipe. I’ll be trying these this week! :D

Can You Stay for Dinner April 10, 2011 at 7:30 am

Yay! Thanks Sarah :)

Nicole April 10, 2011 at 4:30 pm

My brother is vegan… I can’t wait to share this recipe with him!!! :)

Adrienne April 10, 2011 at 5:19 pm

This recipe looks fantastic! There is a restaurant by me in Columbus, Ohio called North Star Cafe where I always order their veggie burger. Sadly, they keep the recipe a secret, but this looks like it could be pretty similar. Thanks!

Alexa @ SimpleEats April 10, 2011 at 6:28 pm

Another veggie burger I’m in love with!

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl April 10, 2011 at 7:52 pm

Definitely going to have to try these! They look amazing!

Zita April 10, 2011 at 8:34 pm

I’m definitely making these next. I just made your baked falafel recipe and I am in heaven. Thank you for posting your story and your recipes. I would’ve never tried to make something like falafel without your super easy recipe and the awesome pictures!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 11, 2011 at 6:37 am

Wow, thanks Zita!!

Zita April 26, 2011 at 11:13 pm

I’m commenting here again because tonight I made the Black Bean Burgers for my friends and we LOVED them. They were undeniably delicious and perfect. You are two for two and now I will make all of your recipes because not only do they look lovely they are totally gourmet at home! Of course, I am over the top effusive in this comment but it can’t be helped. This blog ROCKS!

Jess April 11, 2011 at 8:37 am

I made these to have for lunch yesterday and throughout the week (doubled the recipe) and they turned out so well! Really delicious and satisfying!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 11, 2011 at 8:46 am

SO happy to hear it, Jess!! Thanks!

Claire @ Live & Love to Eat April 11, 2011 at 11:46 am

Made similar burgers last week minus the mushrooms… they were definitely missing that meat-y flavor. These look awesome and so colorful!

Ann April 13, 2011 at 11:04 am

I made this recipe last night, and it was delightful!

only one comment, you didn’t mention if the mushrooms should be sauteed or not (when I made it, I went ahead and sauteed them)

For sure I’m making this again!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 13, 2011 at 2:27 pm

Ooo great catch Ann! Thanks! Yes, the mushrooms should be sauteed :)

Lindsey @ trail to train April 14, 2011 at 7:29 am

Uhm, YUM, thats all I have to say.
Thank you, I feel better now that I’ve gotten that out.
P.S. I will be making these.

Karen April 14, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I made these tonight and they were awesome. Thanks for such a great recipe!

Martha May 4, 2011 at 5:36 pm

I just made these for dinner, and I was blown away! I am not a huge vegetable fan, so this is a great way to hide them in a tasty, tasty burger. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!!! =)

Jinal May 15, 2011 at 3:43 pm

I tried this recipe for lunch today…. Everyone loved it… It was so much fun making it… Thank you so much for these wonderful recipe… Would try all of your vegeterian recipe… :)…

Guilermo de Lira May 24, 2011 at 12:21 pm

I added some habanero chillies to the mix and it was spectacular thanks!

Mary October 18, 2011 at 11:47 am

The flavor of these is spot on! Thank you so much!

I make a few small changes that help the consistency enormously – mine have been neither mushy nor particularly delicate. The texture is substantial and satisfying, and the patties transfer from pan to plate easily and without crumbling.

We have to eat gluten free, so instead of the panko, I substitute a slightly larger volume of cooked brown rice that’s been pulsed a few times in the food processor. I think this was a very fortunate substitution choice, because the rice keeps it from being all one homogeneous mash. It gives it texture and spring!

I also make the patties half size, and serve them as sliders on little rice patties.

I sautee the mushrooms for a minute or two on their own before adding the other veggies, to deepen flavor and evaporate a bit of water.

I do most of the chopping of the veggies in the food processor. Cut veg in reasonable chunks, pulse several times to mince, dump in sautee pan. Repeat with next veg. Easy peasy!

You say the texture is a little mushy and they crumble a bit, but I did not have either of those experiences. The texture was absolutely perfect, and they were not particularly delicate. So try them again with rice instead of bread crumbs! I think you will be very pleased with the result.

Thanks again for this wonderful recipe!

Jaki July 29, 2012 at 10:29 am

Thanks for this tip. I was wondering about how to make this gluten free. Now I’ll be able to try it out myself. Thanks.

Marisa Serrano December 1, 2011 at 12:45 pm

I made these and they are amazing! I did tweak it a bit however, no disrepect to the chef, I just always try to put my own spin on cooking. Here are the changes I made:
1/2 chili powder and 1/2 paprika
1/2 cumin and 1/2 coriander
2 portions Ener-G egg replacer
Instead of panko crumbs I used toasted sprouted wheat bread
Instead of salt I used 3 tbs Braggs liquid aminos
I lowered the heat to 350 and baked each side for 20-30 minutes
My husband and I could not get enough of these, and he’s a meat eater! We also topped our burgers off with Galaxy Foods vegan rice cheese slices. Yum!

Lee December 12, 2011 at 2:46 pm

I tried to look through people’s comments to find the answer, but alas I will still ask it. I want to mass produce these for lunches to take to work. Now if I freeze them should I do it before or after I bake them? I won’t have access to anything more then a 1982 microwave in the breakroom, so I need to be able to reheat them easily.. Suggestions?

Mary June 22, 2013 at 7:12 pm

If you want to freeze them, make them smaller (I use an ice cream scoop) then bake, chill thoroughly, freeze in a single layer, then when they are frozen solid, move them to a bag or container separated by a piece of parchment between them. Then they’re fully cooked and ready to take to work!

beedrill January 16, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Well I don’t know about burgers, as I’ve made these a few times and have never been able to get them to form right. But the flavor is GREAT, and this does make a pretty rad bean dip!

Lisa January 31, 2012 at 9:06 am

Do you think I could freeze these? If so, would you freeze before or after cooking?

admin January 31, 2012 at 12:35 pm

Hey Lisa,

Yes you could freeze them- I’d say after baking! Thanks for trying them :)

Ruby January 31, 2012 at 9:09 pm

I made these tonight with my mom. After they were made and we were eating them, our entire dinner conversation pretty much centered on how amazing they tasted and how we were going to make them again. And again. Thanks for this awesome recipe and advice on freezing them!

Cara Jeanne February 9, 2012 at 2:34 pm

These are the only black bean burgers I make. period. I do leave out the mushrooms though.. these are perfect.

Jodi March 21, 2012 at 5:42 pm

We are not a vegan family, but I thought these looked tasty. They are! All three of my picky eating girls ate and enjoyed these. Thanks for the great recipe :)

Bea Godbee April 3, 2012 at 9:01 am

I am a new vegan and have been juicing (organically with my new juicer) and drinking my water. I am so proud. I have over 150 pounds to lose to try to regain some health. I am so very thrilled to read your recipes especially the black bean veggie burger. Every day is a new day for me and hopefully brings me that much closer to my weight loss goal.

Missy April 30, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Oh wow these were great! I doubled the recipe and ended up with 5 patties, perfect to pack for my workweek lunches. I missed the direction to lightly oil the foil-lined sheet, which was a bummer because they REALLY stuck to that foil! Oh well, they were still delicious.

Nannette May 19, 2012 at 4:29 pm

I made these but had to leave out the mushrooms due to the vocal significant other and daughter :( But they were awesome – so much, in fact, they are on the regular dinner rotation and we’ll be making them on our vacation next week as well. I plan to make more than we need and freeze them – hopefully they’ll be just as great thawed so a mid-week dinner will require very little work!!!

Eileen June 3, 2012 at 5:41 pm

these were the best black bean burgers I have ever had, bar none! My son Cody at first bite yelled to me in the kitchen “wow, it’s like an explosion of flavor in my mouth”! I didn’t use a blender just mixed them with my hands. I didn’t bake them because I thought they would be too dry, so used some oil in a pan and browned them. Next time I will double the recipe…they held together just perfectly…thank you so very, very much!

Heather June 27, 2012 at 1:52 pm

What is that delicious looking salad-type thing on the plate? I totally want to eat the burger, but I also want whatever else you made.

Melanie July 21, 2012 at 6:58 pm

Hi I’ve been making these burgers for months now and they are amazing.My go-to recipe.So,Thank you :)
I know you are busy but I just wanted to let you know (Unless I’m doing something wrong) that when I printed it out in Print Friendly and PDF the recipe gets chopped off somehow. No biggie I just wrote it down but wanted to let you know anyway. :)

lisa barocio August 21, 2012 at 2:32 pm

I just made them! Cant wait to try them when they out of the oven xD

Nona October 17, 2012 at 7:34 pm

I made these burgers tonight for my myself (vegan) and my 9 y/o daughter (non-vegan) We both loved them! Taste was excellent. I think texture wise, I wasn’t 100% satisfied though. On my next attempt, I may add Arborio rice, just for a little more firmness and weight. Love your blog and looking forward to trying more of your recipes.

Janice January 21, 2013 at 6:41 pm

I will try to make it!

jason February 13, 2013 at 4:55 am

So easy!!! Followed your recipe but used borlotti beans as i had no black beans.

Also, i took it much lighter on the cummin.

They were so amazingly delicious.

Thank you very much for this great resource.

There are a few more veggie items i will try from your collection.

Great site!!!!

Sarah March 12, 2013 at 9:22 pm

Almost 2 years ago I was tasked with finding a tasty vegan burger. This recipe was a clear winner and has become part of our everyday meal rotation. I make it for everyone I possibly can to share the flavour-love. Everyone adores it. Thank you so much!

Cela April 19, 2013 at 8:17 pm

Made them tonight. Delicious. Loved them. Will never use a MorningStar or Boca again! I have been trying to find a substitute for these highly processed soy burgers. Thanks for sharing.

Lily May 19, 2013 at 4:41 am

I am not a fan of mushroom. Can I substitute for something else?

Linda June 24, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Oh wow…these sound fabulous!! I have eliminated all gluten from my diet, so instead of Panko breadcrumbs I will be using a gluten free cracker (Mary’s Gone Crackers in the onion flavor). I’ll let you know how they turn out!

I’m slowly going vegan. Breakfast is steel cut oatmeal with some fruit and a pea protein shake. Lunch has been a large salad with a soup I concocted over the weekend; It’s all veggies and soooo yummy :) Dinner is steamed veggies and for now…meat. I’m kind of stuck what to eat for dinner. These burgers will be my lunch. I’ll look through the rest of your recipes! Thanks :)

Nevaeh June 27, 2013 at 3:49 pm

Great flavor! Had to make substitutions because we did not have bell peppers, or panko. Our substitutions were one green chili pepper and plain bread crumbs. Loved them, and going to make again soon. Thanks for sharing.

Linda July 2, 2013 at 12:41 pm

Hi Andie!

Well….I made these burgers….and wow, were they great!!! LOVED them!! Super easy…really tasty. And I don’t miss eating meat because of them! I serve mine over some brown rice pasta (I’m staying away from gluten…so I found this kind of pasta, which is great) and a large side of steamed fresh veggies. And a dollup of low fat sour cream :)

I just wanted to thank you so much for posting such a great recipe. Oh…and I substituted the panko bread crumbs for organic gluten free crackers (Mary’s Gone Crackers – Onion flavor). Worked like a charm :)

Thanks again!

xo

Helen November 29, 2013 at 6:36 pm

My friend made these for me last week and I made her send me the recipe because they were SO good!!

Can’t wait to make them, yummmmm

Kate April 16, 2014 at 12:07 am

Too bad, it’s hard to find black bean here.

C_Robo July 8, 2014 at 12:34 am

Made these for dinner tonight and they were DELICIOUS! I’m going to recommend them to all of my vegan/veg friends. Even my hubby and 6yo son were raving about them. Will definitely be making again and next time, will top them with avocado! Yum!

Joy November 25, 2014 at 7:31 pm

I made these for dinner tonight and they turned out pretty good. Even my husband didn’t mind them which is saying a lot. The only change I would make is to reduce the salt. It just had too salty of a taste for me. Other than that, great recipe!