Creamy Chicken and Cornbread Casserole

by Andie Mitchell on April 11, 2011

chick pot pie pulled pork 049-2

When I made this casserole for our big Sunday supper, Daniel smiled into his plate. He chewed and mmm’ed and then looked up at me, and with the sunniest grin, said, “I want you to make this for our children.”

Me: …[pause]…Ooo…Here’s the only snafu: You know that we don’t have any of those yet?

chick pot pie pulled pork 028-2

Daniel: Ha, yes, but I was just thinking out loud. It tastes good…and it’s so good for you…and it’s got corn…kids would love this kind of thing.

Me: …You also just found out that we’re not yet married?

Daniel: Uh huh.

chick pot pie pulled pork 005

Me: …And that by the time I have children I’ll be making meals exclusively in the shape of Muppet Babies?

Daniel: Yup.

chick pot pie pulled pork 010

Me:…And that I’m going to be really sleepy by then?

Daniel: When you’re thirty?

Me: Uh huh.

Daniel: Yeah.

chick pot pie pulled pork 020-2

Me: …And you also know that I’m going to teach my someday children to cook by the time they’re 18 months old?

Daniel: I figured.

Me: …be-because…I really believe in independence. And self sufficiency.

Daniel: Makes sense.

chick pot pie pulled pork 048-2

Me: But I guess I can make this sometimes. Because, like, some kids don’t like peanut butter and fluff sandwiches as much as I’d like them to. Not all the time, anyhow. And remember what I said about being sleepy?

Daniel: I know.

Me: But our kids will, right? They’ll like fluff?

Daniel: How could they not?

Me: Good point. You know I’m a worrier.

[chew, chew, chew]

Me: And…I mean…can we teach them how to paint my nails and toes? Like, really good?

Daniel: [nods]

chick pot pie pulled pork 030

Me: And clean the tile in the shower? Because I really don’t like that.

Daniel: Sure.

Me: Oh! And do you think they’ll watch The View with me? Because sometimes you forget?

Daniel: Well, I don’t know if The View will still be on then…

Me: Pffft wha-?! How could you say that?!

Daniel: No, I mean, it probably will still be on. It’s just…you know how TV goes…it’s tough to tell how long shows will last.

Me: That show will last forever.

Daniel: No, you’re right. I’m sure it will.

Me: No, like for-ev-er. I don’t even want to think about it being over. Can’t. Won’t. Will not. Nope.

Daniel: Kiddo, don’t worry about it. And yes, kids will love to watch The View with you. I’ll teach them explicitly how to DVR it if they have to do things like…oh, I don’t know, say, go to school. And how to fix you an iced pomegranate spritzer in the middle of the night. Everything will be great.

Me: Okay.

Daniel: Good. [smile] Really, I just love this dinner. Thanks for making it.

Me: Uh huh.

Daniel: You like it too? It has cornbread and chicken and gravy- all things you love.

….

….

Me: I just can’t believe you would say that about The View. You know how much I love Barbara.

[Daniel exits stage left]

chick pot pie pulled pork 041-2

This is lovely.

Tender chunks of chicken, sweet softened carrots, celery, onion, and corn, swimming in a rich, creamy gravy, and nestled under a blanket of sweet, gritty cornbread. The crumbly topping serving as the perfect sponge for all that sauce. Comfort.

Chicken and Cornbread Casserole

(recipe adapted from Oprah.com)

(serves 5)

Filling:

• 1  1/2 tablespoons butter
  • 3 large carrots, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 medium onion , chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 cup sweet corn
  • 1/4 cup flour
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 2 teaspoons ground thyme
  • 2 teaspoons ground sage
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
  • 3 cups chopped, cooked chicken  (12 oz)

Crust:

• 3/4 cup white or yellow cornmeal
  • 3/4 cup flour
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons milk
  • 1 large egg
  • 1 tablespoons canola oil

Directions:

To make filling: First, if you haven’t got any leftover chicken like I had from a whole bird I roasted on Saturday, you’ll need to poach a few boneless, skinless breasts. Set three chicken breasts in a large pot, cover with two inches of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer the chicken for about 12 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat an 8” square baking dish (or any baking dish of a comparable size) generously with nonstick cooking spray. Heat butter in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and corn, and sauté for about 10 minutes, until tender. Add garlic and stir constantly for 30 seconds. Sprinkle the flour into the pan and stir until it coats the vegetables, about 30 seconds. Slowly stir in 2 cups of chicken stock, whisking well so that the flour begins to de-clump and thicken the stock. Cook mixture over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Stir in cooked chicken, thyme, sage,  salt, and pepper. Pour the mixture into your prepared dish and spread mixture evenly.

To make crust: In a large bowl, whisk the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar and salt. Stir milk, egg and canola oil until well combined in a separate bowl. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Spoon the batter evenly over the filling. Bake until the top is golden brown, about 22 to 25 minutes. Let cool for at least 15 minutes before serving.

Nutrition info for 1 serving (1/5th of entire recipe): Calories: 450.1, Fat: 16.1g, Carb: 50g, Fiber: 5.1g, Sugars 4.9g, Protein: 21.9g

Please head over to my dear friend Heather’s blog, Then Heather Said, to enter her Raffle For Life running now through April 16th. It’ll help a wonderful cause and you could win some great prizes :)

AndreaSomething April 11, 2011 at 10:46 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a few weeks, and today was the day I could not help but post. This looks amazing! It’s 10:45 at night, and I’m seriously debating making this.

Oy.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 12, 2011 at 7:24 am

You can’t imagine how wide I smiled when I read your comment. Thank you :)

AndreaSomething April 12, 2011 at 9:31 am

:) You’re welcome. I made myself go to bed, but you can guess what’s for dinner tonight!

livefamilylife April 11, 2011 at 11:46 pm

Like this article and this recipe

purplehappytree April 12, 2011 at 1:34 am

O M G!
This looks awesome!!!
And I love the little story that went along with it :)

Dishes of Mrs. Fish April 12, 2011 at 3:26 am

Smiles at Muppet Baby Shaped food…that show was the best.
So is this casserole. :)

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 12, 2011 at 3:56 am

this looks SO good! i love cornbread, especially on my chicken pot pies :)

Donna April 12, 2011 at 4:24 am

This looks delicious! Reminds me of pot pie and I do love me some pot pie. Thanks for sharing this recipe. I will have to give it a try!

Asep February 2, 2012 at 11:04 am

Wow, Willard. It’s ibencdirle to read your review of the JAZZ series a decade after it aired, and what seems like a lifetime after I worked on it (you were so kind to make specific mention of me as a part of Ken’s “co.” lol. Thank you!) If you only knew the debates and ruffled feathers that abounded just in the crew of JAZZ because one musician got more onscreen time than another, or whatever the case – production of the series was an dizzyingly emotional time. And just as happened when I found my formerly disdainful self falling in love with Louis Armstrong early on in production, tears came to my eyes tonight as I relived the making of JAZZ through your kind, genuine telling of your recent experience with the series. I’m gratified to know that there are a t least a few people in jazz, especially ones I so respect like you, who appreciate the work my colleagues and I put into JAZZ. You’re right – the series is by no means meant to be definitive. But I can tell you one thing fo’ sho’: that thing was made with much love.

cleaneatingchelsey April 12, 2011 at 4:26 am

I love the way you write. You honestly give me great ideas every day. Such a funny story. I can’t believe he said that about the View either… but you know, Oprah’s gone after this year. Anything can happen

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 12, 2011 at 4:55 am

Obviously I am not from the South because I have never had cornbread before in my life! I really like the sounds of this though. And I would LOVE to be a fly on the wall that can listen to all of the dinnertime conversations you have with Daniel, because you two are hilarious!! In the meantime while you don’t have kids, I suppose you could teach him how to make that dinner instead!

Katie Photiadis April 12, 2011 at 5:01 am

Andrea, you. are. hilarious.

I sincerely hope that your (future) children like fluff =)

Helena April 12, 2011 at 5:48 am

Great post again! You always make me laugh :)

Kelly April 12, 2011 at 6:40 am

I love yours and Daniel’s conversations!!! So adorable!

Jessica April 12, 2011 at 6:45 am

I’m so making this this weekend. (I hate using 2 this’s but really there’s no better way to say that.)
And thanks once again for the morning laughs, as always!

Kelly April 12, 2011 at 7:04 am

Is this the same recipe as the chicken pot pie with cornbread crust?

Can You Stay for Dinner April 12, 2011 at 7:26 am

Yes it is :)

Rachel @ Grateful Girl Goes Gluten Free April 12, 2011 at 7:27 am

ALL your recipes lately have been killing me, they look SO good. And the story on your exercise journey was so amazing. I loved reading all about it and it really got me thinking!

paul jennette April 12, 2011 at 7:52 am

I love the style of this post! Very creative, I have yet to see one like it. I’ve been reading your blog for weeks now and it is really one of the greats, keep them coming!!

alisueonthemove April 12, 2011 at 8:22 am

I will be making this next week, it just looks too amazing! If dinner wasn’t already planned for tonight this is what would be on the menu.

Krystina (Organically Me) April 12, 2011 at 8:39 am

This post put a huge smile on my face. :)

Clarissa @ Sober and the City April 12, 2011 at 8:46 am

I love conversational posts! It’s like I’m right there eating dinner with you. Nice to know not ALL men are terrified of children :)

Beth April 12, 2011 at 9:01 am

I love your relationship with Daniel and the conversations you post on here. Cracks me up!

Leanne April 12, 2011 at 9:10 am

I already loved your thoughts after reading the posts on weight…. and now I find out we share a love of the view? I can’t even imagine it going off the air. I love it way too much.

biz319 April 12, 2011 at 9:26 am

Andrea, I actually have video of my then 18 month old daughter, sitting on the kitchen counter with a garbage bowl in front of her, peeling garlic. It’s on VHS so I need to convert it – when I ask her on the video what she is doing, she says “skinnin’ garlic!”

And now at 19 she can throw a stir fry together faster than anyone – I love her!

Megan (Braise The Roof) April 12, 2011 at 10:02 am

Haha, you guys crack me up. :) Nail polish wielding children, middle of the night sparkling refreshment…sounds perfect. You should definitely make these children someday.

Leah @ Why Deprive? April 12, 2011 at 10:17 am

I love your stories so much!

This casserole sounds perfect. Im a sucker for cornbread anything. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 12, 2011 at 10:56 am

Oh, if only I could teach M to scrub tile and paint my nails. LOL

I love your posts! Always so fun to read and they make me smile.

Ellen @ Black & White & Loved All Over April 12, 2011 at 11:25 am

This looks Amazing! and I love one dish meals! And your commentary was adorable! And thank you! :)

MelissaNibbles April 12, 2011 at 11:52 am

The best reason to have kids is to make them cook and do the chores. That’s what I’ve been told anyway…

Ellie April 12, 2011 at 11:55 am

wow girl!! this looks delicious! I can almost taste it in imagination! :P

Euniece[innerpeacehealthytreats&runningfeet] April 12, 2011 at 12:21 pm

wow not only does this dish look amazing, but the conversation is absolutely hysterical with it!

Jesse April 12, 2011 at 12:48 pm

ha, you’re too funny. and this looks perfect for the rainy day we’ve got going on here in dc. so warm and comforting.

fittingbackin April 12, 2011 at 1:21 pm

Yum! It’s like a fabulous pot pie – looks like awesome comfort food!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite April 12, 2011 at 1:26 pm

This looks like a wonderful twist on shepard’s pie! I would eat anything with cornbread! Delicious and gorgeous photos!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 12, 2011 at 2:51 pm

Your posts always make me laugh! And drool of course :)

Mary April 12, 2011 at 6:44 pm

When are you and Daniel going to get married? ;)
This looks so tasty… I will def be trying this soon.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 13, 2011 at 6:36 am

I suppose we’ll be married when I find a ring in my fluff jar :)

Ellen @ Black and White and Loved All Over April 13, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Thanks for your lovely comment on my blog today! And also … I made this tonight. And it was AMAZING! After we put the baby girl to bed, my husband and I ate it out on our deck because it was a beautiful day and night in Nashville. I can’t wait to serve it to my daughter tomorrow for lunch. And I can’t wait to try more of your recipes! Thanks lady!

Casey April 13, 2011 at 8:04 pm

mmmm looks delish. kinda looks like a chicken pot pie? with CORNBREAD!!:D i love how you put the nutrition facts at the bottom too

sj September 30, 2011 at 6:35 am

is it embarrassing to ask is chicken stock the same as chicken broth? thanks! :)

Chelsea November 15, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I am totally making this the day after Thanksgiving with Turkey instead of chicken :) :) mmmmmmm

carpet cleaner bedworth carpet cleaner in bedworth carpet cleaning tips November 20, 2011 at 12:50 pm

Its such as you read my thoughts! You appear to grasp a lot approximately this, such as you wrote the e book in it or something. I think that you simply can do with some % to force the message home a little bit, however other than that, this is wonderful blog. A great read. I will definitely be back.

Moran June 10, 2012 at 2:36 pm

this is great!
i don’t usually use recipes in engligh (it’s not my mother tongue) but this one was worth it.
i added Hawaij for soup (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hawaij) and it turned out even better ;)

Sara Faye July 17, 2012 at 4:59 pm

Tried this tonight with my family and it was a hit! My father and grandfather are super picky but they adored it. I’ve recently started my weight loss endeavor and your stories and writing itself are inspirational and heartfelt. Thank you for being brave enough to share your story.

Krystal July 29, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I’m doing it! You have inspired me to loose the weight(: Thank you I needed this

Maura December 6, 2012 at 5:15 pm

I made this tonight and it was a huge hit w the littles. I had to double it bc there’s 10 mouths to feed. It was yummy and comforting without feeling bogged down.
I just found you through Pinterest, and you are my hero. I want to be your BFF.

Ok, I won’t be creepy anymore, but you’re just so cool!

teachermrw May 5, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Made this today: delicious! As I told my Dear Mother, it’s like Sunday dinner in one dish: cornbread, chicken, vegetables. I did use a different approach to poaching the chicken. I replaced the two cups of water with chicken broth. I also added the salt, pepper, thyme and sage at the time I poached the chicken. When the chicken was poached, I used the broth that remained – one cup – and that along with an additional cup of chicken broth to the flour/vegetable mixture. My Dear Mother is looking forward to me making the casserole for my Dear Dad and Dear Brother.

Lisa October 26, 2013 at 3:58 pm

This looks delicious! I’d like to increase the recipe to be 6 to 8 servings. Do you have any suggestions about the size of the baking dish, cooking time and temperature?

If anyone has increased or doubled the recipe, I’d like to know what size pan you used, at what temperature, and for how long you cooked it. Any details would help!