If I Had a Million Flatbreads

by Andie Mitchell on April 14, 2011

falafel, souvlaki, BLT 101

Let’s just say, hypothetically, that you were to buy flatbreads this weekend.

And then, let’s say, you were to decide that you would eat one buttered and blistered round for every single meal seven ways to next Sunday.

With feta.

And a coke.

And a semi-permanent grease beard.

falafel, souvlaki, BLT 071

I only ask because a friend of a friend knows another friend who ran into her friend’s friend who ran into this problem..and of course…I just have no experience with any sort of situation.

Can’t even hardly imagine.

What was I asking?

Right, advice. So, let’s just also [hypothetically, remember] say that those buttery flatbreads made you tell your boyfriend that you “couldn’t imagine loving anything in this whole wide world more than hot flatbread sandwiches.”

Or, let’s say that the flatbreads in question caused you to, oh, I don’t know, think about calling in sick to work, avoid social interactions, and wiggle out of public outings, just because you’d rather not stray from the smell of street food that you’ve practically febreezed your kitchen with.

All things considered, again hypothetically, umm…what would you do next?

falafel, souvlaki, BLT 136

You know, because I really can’t muster a guess.

I would just **absolutely never find myself in such an obsessive compulsive situation where I did not know how or when or if another meal would [ever] come out of my kitchen without a flatbread shawl. And, it goes without saying that I certainly would never have made three things using flatbreads in one weekend’s time:

1. Lemon Chicken Gyros with Tahini and Feta

2. Baked Falafel with Tzatziki Sauce

3. BLTizza

**I lie when I use asterisks.

Halley April 15, 2011 at 12:25 am

I feel ya. Grease beard don’t stop me.
Dude I reckon – pulled pork + flat bread= heaven.

MelissaNibbles April 15, 2011 at 2:05 am

I want a Coke.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet April 15, 2011 at 3:06 am

I’m impressed that you limited yourself to 3.

Sarah (Running To Slow Things Down) April 15, 2011 at 4:03 am

That’s it. You’ve convinced me to introduce flatbreads into my kitchen and into my life. This looks fabulous. :)

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) April 15, 2011 at 4:27 am

What would I do next? I would have another! :)

Lisa @ Thrive Style April 15, 2011 at 4:57 am

I really need to come over. I’ll stay for dinner—you can make me one of each of those. We’ll figure out what to do next then :)

Melissa E April 15, 2011 at 5:11 am

The last time I unwittingly bought a package of flatbread (thinking I had picked up more of a pita weight bread) I was a smitten kitten.

Suddenly every meal was accompanied by wedges of flatbread that I had drizzled with olive oil, sprinkled with a dried Italian herb mix and then fried.

Not an ideal situation for any normal person’s sense of ideal but fine by me… until they ran out. Now I am a crumpled mass of what used to be happy…

Actually this was quite some time ago and I’m glad to report to you, so that you might report back to your friend of a friend’s uncle’s nephew’s squirrel’s mailman’s friend that the world needn’t feel like it revolves around flatbread. But it’s nice when it does.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 7:00 am

Hilarious :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat April 15, 2011 at 5:16 am

I whole-heartedly agree. If I were to ever come over for dinner, I’d be completely satisfied with flatbread – you don’t even have to do anything to it!

Lindsey @ Trail to Train April 15, 2011 at 5:26 am

Personally, I’m impressed with your versitility. I don’t think it’s a problem at all!
Heck, I’d take it one step further and start making DESSERT with the flatbread- apples and maple syrup, peaches and cinnamon, FRUIT PIZZA! Why do you have to stop at savory, give sweet a chance! ;)

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 7:01 am

This is what I will tell my friend of a friend of a friend. I hear they love fruit pizza :)

Liz @ Tip Top Shape April 15, 2011 at 5:55 am

haha, this flat-bread smitten person sounds familar..lol.

brandi April 15, 2011 at 6:31 am

I really want that BLTizza!

Katie Photiadis April 15, 2011 at 6:41 am

Hahaha!

I have a question (a hypothetical one of course, since I would never do such a thing) where are you buying this amazing flatbread? And do you actually add butter to it?

Lol, of course, this is only hypothetical. I wouldn’t think of buying said foods and bringing them into my house…

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 7:03 am

I hear my friend’s friend bought them in the deli/bakery section of her local supermarket (QFC which is the same as Kroger). They, I’m told, came in a six pack and were made fresh by that grocery store’s bakery. My friend’s friend does not add butter, but they taste deliciously buttery. I’m told.

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 15, 2011 at 6:52 am

flatbreads are my JAM! love them

JaNelle April 15, 2011 at 7:16 am

So a friend of a friend of a friend to me to read your blog and go out and buy some flat bread and make at LEAST one of this tomorrow. Kthanks!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 7:31 am

JaNelle, that sounds like a very good friend. But I really wouldn’t know :)

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen April 15, 2011 at 7:54 am

Flatbreads are pretty portable right? Tell your friend’s friend’s friend to just bring the flatbread deliciousness wherever she (or he) goes! Spread the love of flatbread to the masses!

Clarissa @ Sober and the City April 15, 2011 at 9:15 am

I have Bare Naked Ladies “If I had a Million Dollars” stuck in my head now! Is it just me? I’d put some falafel on mineeee!

Anna April 15, 2011 at 9:34 am

Totally was singing it throughout the post as well! haha

Megan April 15, 2011 at 9:42 am

Ok, million dollar question: do you pronounce it “B-L-teeza” or “B-L-teet-za” as in “peet-za”? These are the important things that I wonder about on a day to day basis. Hypothetically, of course.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

Totally BL Teetza. Like pizza. I think about these things at least 18.5 hours out of every 24.

Michelle April 15, 2011 at 9:50 am

I’ve recently come across your blog and I’m in love. I first fell in love with your posts about your road to losing 135 pounds. And when I saw your first post on the subject about where you started from, I thought “OMG that’s me”. And I love your honesty and your inspiration. And now I love you for your flatbread too.

Leah @ Why Deprive? April 15, 2011 at 9:51 am

Not sure why, but now I have a major craving for some flatbread. :)

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun April 15, 2011 at 10:00 am

I want you to live with me and make all my meals. Then we could go on walks together and chit chat all the time too. Sounds good, no? :D

dianne April 15, 2011 at 10:20 am

How about teaching us how to make nice soft flatbreads so we can try these recipes???? I can’t get them around here….so Sad

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

That’s a fabulous idea, Dianne! I’ll give them a go soon!

Jenny April 15, 2011 at 11:31 am

I’ve never eaten a gyro before but omg that first picture looks amazing. The closest thing I have are flatouts and it’s totally not the same!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 11:37 am

Thanks Jenny :)

rae April 15, 2011 at 11:57 am

i revolved my grocery shopping list for this weekend around your flatbread posts! i must partake in some of this delish!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 12:10 pm

I had to get someone as addicted as I am :)

Gina April 15, 2011 at 12:24 pm

It is very likely that I make a trip to QFC this weekend and test all of your delicious-looking recipes for the next week!

The Teenage Taste April 15, 2011 at 4:08 pm

Flatbreads, or any kind of bread in that case, are amazing. Period.

kristisn April 15, 2011 at 5:08 pm

I am in love with flatbread!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) April 15, 2011 at 6:23 pm

I wish I had a million flatbreads! I want some falafel :)

Halley April 15, 2011 at 8:07 pm

love the new header- who’s doing your redeisgn?

Can You Stay for Dinner April 15, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Thanks Halley! My friend Karlyn made my header, she’s fabulous! I told her she should start a small business making blog headers because she’s so so talented :)

Riss April 16, 2011 at 4:24 am

I agree! Great header.

Can You Stay for Dinner April 16, 2011 at 7:09 am

Thanks Riss :)

Autumn @ Good Eats Girl April 16, 2011 at 4:20 am

There can never be too many things made with flatbreads!

johnny April 16, 2011 at 4:23 am

Homemade flatbreads are to die for. The simplist recipe is one for pizza dough and roll it out thin, real thin. Cook it on a grill or in the hot oven, watching it bubble will set you into a spin!! :)

Can You Stay for Dinner April 16, 2011 at 7:09 am

LOVE this idea Johnny!! Thanks :)

Jamie April 16, 2011 at 7:46 am

Why do I find myself smiling at the end of this post? And craving a hot flatbread sandwich?

Can You Stay for Dinner April 16, 2011 at 7:50 am

Thanks Jamie!! :)

Katherine April 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

I made a batch of flatbread yesterday, and put tandori chicken in to marinade today. I’ll serve it with tzatziki sauce and veggies. I also make a chicken salad with sun-dried tomatoes that is great in flat bread. Thanks for the inspiration! I found your website recently, and I love it!

Can You Stay for Dinner April 16, 2011 at 8:51 am

Yum Yum Yum! GREAT ideas, Katherine! Thanks for sharing and for saying hello :)

newlywedcooks April 16, 2011 at 12:18 pm

This mostly has made me want a Coke. Dangit, I’m trying to limit the soda intake here. Now I must have one.

Also, is your header new?? I love the use of the different fonts. Clean and professional. Love!

Helena April 16, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Now I really crave some flatbread filled with tomatoes and salad :D Please stop posting this delicious stuff! Or not :-P

Jenny @ Fitness Health and Food April 16, 2011 at 10:20 pm

thank goodness I had channa masala with naan this evening because I am jealous enough looking at luxurious flatbread sandwich. All I can say is YUM! :)

Kristie April 17, 2011 at 1:50 pm

I am seriously thisclose to running out and buying flatbreads RIGHT now. The only thing stopping me is my postworkout sweat. I don’t think the grocery employees would appreciate it too much. Seriously though, flatbreads = one of the best, softest, doughiest most satisfying carby delights out there.

niki April 17, 2011 at 4:43 pm

yummmmmmmm. Now I know what’s on the list for dinner during the week! I definitely want to try the Lemon Chicken w Tahini & Feta… awesome combo!

snackgirlgoeshealthy April 17, 2011 at 9:43 pm

Mmm! I totally have to try that falafel!!

You got me craving soda girl… :)