The Chewiest Chocolate Chip Cookies

by Andie Mitchell on May 3, 2011

Daniel's note and cookies 028

You know that woman I talk about a lot?

The one that my world revolves around?

No, not Oprah. (Mom, forgive them.)

My mother.

Mames.

Mumma.

Mum.

Daniel's note and cookies 016

Ma.

That woman.

Well, she’s turning…Sorry, if I could just—ooone sec–I just need to grab my megaphone. [Tap] Is this thing on? Testing-tes-testing. There we go. Ahem. “SHE’S TURNING 55 TODAY!”

To celebrate, I’ve baked her favorite chocolate chip cookies. Because she deserves the best and I’m ever the celebrator.

Daniel's note and cookies 021

So, Ma?

Happy Birthday, Beautiful.

I love you as deeply as I know how to feel.

Daniel's note and cookies 013

3.13.11 2 072

This is a warm, gooey, relentlessly chewy, brown sugar cookie with chocolate chips that break mid-bite and melt. They will taste as tender and unconditional as the love that went into baking them from scratch.

My mom has baked fabulous chocolate chip cookies for as long as I can remember. And while I tend to hesitate to call anything other than Leonardo DiCaprio perfect, they are just that. Over the years I’ve tried millions of recipes for this classic cookie- everything from Nestle to my Nana- and have come to believe that I’ve found chocolate chip nirvana in this recipe.

3.13.11 2 076

The secrets to the perfect, chewiest chocolate chip cookie:

1. Melting the butter makes the dough taste utterly deep and rich, almost like toffee, and ensures a chewy texture.
  2. Using mostly brown sugar. Since brown sugar has molasses added to it, it is already much moister than white sugar and will not only lend that wetness to a perfectly tender cookie, but it will impart a more caramelized flavor.
  3. Making large cookies. If you bake little, teeny-tiny mounds, the cookie will not have enough space to differentiate between the crisped edges and the soft, gooey center. You need at least a 2-3″ diameter to fully delight in the texture of a truly chewy cookie.
  4. Baking at a lower temperature for a longer period of time. I’ve found that 350° allows the cookies to bake up slowly- making sure that they cook evenly and you don’t end up with an overly crisped edge and underbaked interior.
  5. The final secret: Letting the dough rest in the fridge for up to 48 hours before baking the cookies. This, my friends, makes all the difference in the world. This takes a chewy cookie to the chewiest cookie. The difference between better and best.

3.13.11 2 077

I’m having two for the birthday girl.

Daniel's note and cookies 009

The Chewiest Chocolate Chip Cookies

(adapted from Cooks Illustrated)

Makes 24 extra large, unforgettable cookies

• 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), melted and cooled slightly
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 cups semi sweet chocolate chips (one 12 oz bag)

Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave for one minute. Let cool slightly (about 4-5 minutes).

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.

Beat the melted butter and sugars until well combined. The butter should be completely absorbed by the sugar and the mixture should look uniform in gritty texture. This should take about 2 minutes.

Add the eggs and vanilla and beat for 1 full minute to incorporate.

Gradually beat in the flour mixture on low speed. Do not overbeat or you will end up with tough, bread-like cookies.

Mix in the chocolate chips. Scrape down the bowl and give it one final stir. Cover and refrigerate the cookie dough for up to 48 hours. The longer you let the dough rest in the refrigerator, the chewier and better tasting they’ll be. Even thirty minutes makes a marked difference. Trust me on this one.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. You do not need to use parchment, the cookies will not stick, but it does make for a quick and easy removal.

Roll the dough into 24 even sized balls (each roughly the size of a golf ball). Space evenly on a cookie sheet and flatten each of them slightly with your fingers. This will help them to evenly bake. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the cookies are shiny on top and just beginning to turn a golden brown. You can slightly press the center and it will feel slightly firm yet a little underbaked. Always always always err on the side of underbaking them, as you can always just let them sit on the cookie sheet out of the oven for a few minutes before removing them to a wire rack to cool. Since the cookie sheet retains its heat for a short while after it comes out of the oven, it will continue to bake the cookies and set the centers.

Let the cookies cool on the sheet for 1 minute before removing to a wire rack to cool completely.

……

Nutrition info per cookie: Calories: 213.7, Fat: 10.5 g, Cholesterol: 32.9 mg, Fiber: 1.1 g, Protein: 2.1 g

Frieda May 3, 2011 at 11:20 pm

Happy Birthday to your Mum.
Alles gute zum Geburtstag für deine Mama.
Joyeux anniversaire à ta mère.
Hartelijk gefeliciteerd met je moeders verjaardag.
I don’t know more languages than that ;)
Anyway please wish here a great day from me. She did a great job raising you from what we know so far so she must be a wonderful person :)
She is also the same age as my mom (who is just the best, too) so something about those mothers born 1956 must be amazing :)

stephanie May 5, 2011 at 1:06 am

I’am adding to that language list: AUGURIIIIIIII ALLA TUA MAMMA!!!!
baci baci

Halley May 4, 2011 at 12:14 am

Happy Birthday Andie’s Mom! Hope it’s another wonderful year.

I love those tips! I’ll have to try letting it sit for 48 hours.

Have you tried browning butter? It’d add another dimension to the flavour. Sort of like caramel.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas May 4, 2011 at 2:35 am

Happy Birthday to you Beautiful Momma! Hope she enjoys these little pieces of heaven!

Johnny May 4, 2011 at 2:40 am

Well Happy Birthday Andie’s Mom!! I always thought that it was taboo to say a woman’s age! :) Well Andie’s Mom, My wife and I share something with you other than that wonderful daughter of yours!

The cookies look great and are almost radically different from the toll house cookie recipe I grew up with so will have to try it and compare. They sure look gooeylishes!

If the writing doesn’t pan out and the Starbucks gig doesn’t go well then you could always be a photographer! Those photos make me feel like I’m in your kitchen and I can smell that delicious chocolate!

Have a great BLESSED day!!!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 4, 2011 at 2:52 am

I am always up for a new chocolate chip cookie and these look fabulous! I haven’t tried a version where you melt the butter first.

Happy Birthday to your mom!

Nicole May 4, 2011 at 3:59 am

Happy Birthday to your mom!!! :) Oh, and my hubby just looked over my shoulder, saw the pic of the cookies, and said, “Can you make me those?” So I know what I’ll be cooking up this weekend!

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 4, 2011 at 4:11 am

Happy birthday to your mom! The Husband’s favorite treat are chocolate chip cookies – I usually make them one way, but I’m trying it out this way this weekend!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness May 4, 2011 at 4:54 am

Happy birthday to your mom!

Chocolate chip cookies (although usually from the back of a bag vs any other recipe) were always my mom’s “go to” when I was a lil’ tot. No wonder they’re my favorite.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 4, 2011 at 5:04 am

These look beautiful! Happy Birthday to your mum! My mum is not a big baking fan and her idea of ‘baking cookies’ is sticking a store-bought one in the microwave and warming it up for a few seconds to make the kitchen smell nice!!

Evan Thomas May 4, 2011 at 5:45 am

Happy birthday to your mother! What an excellent way to celebrate.

Melissa May 4, 2011 at 5:46 am

Happy Happy Birthday, Andie’s Mama!!!

Brown sugar is the key to great chocolate chip cookies! I can’t wait to give this recipe a whirl. Thanks to your mom for having a birthday so you could share this with us. :)

Helena May 4, 2011 at 5:51 am

I love this line “I love you as deeply as I know how to feel.” You always write so beautifully :)

Donna @ Love, Run & Travel May 4, 2011 at 6:03 am

Oh yay, i’m always on the look out for the perfect chewy chocolate chip cookie recipe and yours look just amazing!
Happy Birthday to your mum :)

Euniece[innerpeacehealthytreats&runningfeet] May 4, 2011 at 6:14 am

happy birthday to your mum!! thanks for sharing the secret to your chewiest chocolate chip cookies recipe!! yum its only breakfast but all that is on my mind right now are these cookies!! nom nom nom

Samantha Angela @ Bikini Birthday May 4, 2011 at 6:39 am

I just made a KILLER chocolate chip and hazelnut cookie recipe (recipe here: http://gamereviewwiki.com/bikinibirthday/?p=3227)

I made it for my husband to take on a school field trip and he apparently overheard the other teachers talking about the cookies and how they were the best cookies they’ve ever had. Best Compliment Ever

This dough is a wetter dough. I use melted butter as well but I also use equal parts brown and white sugars and both baking powder and baking soda. Other than that, it’s a pretty similar recipe to yours.

I agree with you about letting the dough rest in the fridge…it really does change the outcome of the final cookie.

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday May 4, 2011 at 6:39 am

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic May 4, 2011 at 7:01 am

Happy birthday to your mom!! This looks like a wonderful recipe as I’m a big fan of chewy cookies!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner May 4, 2011 at 7:03 am

Happy birthday to your mom!!

And, YES! Finally someone understands that cookies need to be SOFT. I was looking for a chocolate cookie at the grocery store the other night (it may or may not have been 11pm) and I was poking the packages and none of them felt soft. My husband was like, what are you doing? I couldn’t find a soft one, so I had to do without. I will be making these asap!

The Café Sucré Farine May 4, 2011 at 7:14 am

Fabulous! I’ll take 3, just in honor of your mom, and a cold glass of milk, please! Seriously, these look seriously good. A most happy birthday to your mom!

Beth @ Beth's Journey May 4, 2011 at 7:26 am

Man this post makes my mouth water. These look delicious! I never even thought to refrigerate cookie dough before baking. Yum!!

Cindy May 4, 2011 at 7:47 am

HAPPY BIRTHDAY to your Mom!!!

All I have to do is bake fresh chocolate chip cookies and all is well in my house.

ahhhhh.

I knew about the soft butter tip, and the cooking at low temp tip…but letting it sit for 48 hours I did not know. We always make them big…why would you not??

OH and the brown sugar tip is a new one too.

You may find me in my kitchen baking a batch of these in your Mom’s honor for us too!

xo

Tina (My Life as a Mrs) May 4, 2011 at 8:06 am

YUM. I heart those Cook’s Illustrated geniuses!! You’re pictures are beautiful! PS – what camera & lens do you mostly use?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 4, 2011 at 8:09 am

Aw, these sound perfect for mamma on her birthday! xoxo

Leah @ Why Deprive? May 4, 2011 at 8:09 am

Happy Birthday to your Mom!! She sounds like a truly amazing woman – and she raised a fabulous daughter, so I have no doubts. :)

JaNelle May 4, 2011 at 8:20 am

Ohhh so letting the dough rest for 48 hours is the key! This is a cookie baking AHA moment! LOL thanks

Rivki Locker (Ordinary Blogger) May 4, 2011 at 8:22 am

I Love, Love, Love chewy chocolate chip cookies. I never understood how people could like them crisp. And I love the idea of making them larger. I think you get the same amount of calories for eating one large cookie as you do for eating one small one! :)

Anna May 4, 2011 at 8:50 am

Despite my love for all sweets, nothing is better than the simplicity of an ooey gooey chocolate chip cookie. You’re mom is a woman after my own heart. Happy birthday to her!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 4, 2011 at 9:34 am

I cannot say no to a fabulous chewy chocolate chip cookie. And I now have a craving for them. Like…badly.

hollie May 4, 2011 at 9:40 am

I make this same recipe. Although, I’ve never tried letting the dough sit for 48 hours. I am going to have to try it!
But the problem is, now I’m craving cookies and don’t want to wait 2 days to get them!! :)

Shanna, Like Banana May 4, 2011 at 9:50 am

This is the way I make my cookies too…

Happy Birthday to your Mama..thanks for producing such a lovely, talented, blend =)

becky May 4, 2011 at 9:55 am

I use a very similar (possibly the exact same) recipe and I’ll second the suggestion of browning the butter. It makes them kind of glossy, chewy and caramel-ey.
I have to make them, eat 2 and give them away. I cannot even pretend to control myself around these…

Gina May 4, 2011 at 10:07 am

Happy Birthday to your mom! I love your cookie tips. I once watched an Alton Brown episode on chocolate chip cookies nad it was fascinating! He talked through how different fats, sugars, etc affected the texture and chew of the cookie. I am thinking I may try a batch of these and send them to my mom for Mother’s Day!

Katie Photiadis May 4, 2011 at 10:15 am

Andrea, I have to say something important. And it may ruin our fictional, online friendship.

But I’ll just spit it out. I am the best chocolate chip cookie baker. Ever. I mean, I’m not trying to drop the gauntlet or anything, but my cookies disappear like it’s no one’s business. And you want to know the secret? I take them out before they’re firm.

I also use brown sugar, and super softened butter (I don’t microwave the butter). But I don’t refrigerate the dough. Hmmm…I will ponder that. And the next time I decide to risk having chocolate chip cookies in the house, I just…might…consider it ;)

Wish your mom a happy birthday for me! 55 is a pretty awesome year =)

Clarissa @ Sober and the City May 4, 2011 at 11:30 am

Looks SO GOOD! And I love chewy cookies – who likes the hard ones? I want a cookie right now actually…i’ll settle for a handful of raw almonds I suppose :(

Kelly May 4, 2011 at 11:42 am

These look wonderful! I can not pass up cookies. Cake, browies, pie…eh…but cookies. YUM! I love how simple the ingredient list is. I am definitely going to be making these!!

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat May 4, 2011 at 11:52 am

Happy b-day to your Mum!

I don’t think I’d have the willpower to wait that long to bake them, even with the promise of increased chewiness.

My parents like crunchy cookies, what’s up with that?

Riss May 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Mmm. Excuse me whilst I wipe the drool off my chin.

I’ll make you a deal… A batch of the cookies you commented on from my blog for a batch of these lovelies! It’ll be like trading lunch goodies on the playground by the swings during 2nd grade recess!

And I MUST wish a very, very Happy Birthday to your sweet mother. I know you would love to be there to celebrate with her in person.

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen May 4, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Happy birthday to your Mama!

Elena @ GagaForGrapefruit May 4, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Happy Birthday to your mama who I know is just as lovely as YOU dear!

Ally (oatsandspice) May 4, 2011 at 12:39 pm

I love love love chewy cookies – this recipe looks especially delicious! I am definitely going to use some of your tips for making extra chewy cookies – I’d never heard of a few of them before… thanks for sharing :)

Happy Wednesday chica! Have an amazing day!

Online Sunshine May 4, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Oh, those sound so yummy! The best cookies I’ve had so far are baked by the store around the corner from me.
I have to leave the cookie dough in the refrigerator for two days? Without eating it? I don’t know if that’s possible. :) But I’m willing to give it a try!

The Teenage Taste May 4, 2011 at 1:40 pm

Happy Belated Birthday to your Mom! Chocolate Chip Cookies are definitely the perfect way to celebrate. They look delicious and I LOVE chewy cookies! <3

Caitlin @ Southern Curls & Pearls May 4, 2011 at 2:02 pm

Happy birthday to your mother! The cookies look simply divine! They make me want to take a bite out of my computer screen right now :)

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 4, 2011 at 2:35 pm

Happy Birthday to your mom! There is nothing better than a good chocolate chip cookie! I love chewy cookies so much and adore the brown sugar in your version! Beautiful!

Annie May 4, 2011 at 8:58 pm

Happy Birthday to your momma!

And yay for cookies.

Lu @ A Mix of it All May 4, 2011 at 9:02 pm

Happy Birthday Can-You-Stay-For-Dinner-Mama! Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best!

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 4, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I love chewy cookies! So does my mom- I sense a Mother’s Day present :)

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 5, 2011 at 2:26 am

Wishing your mom a happy birthday! These look like the best cookies, and I’ll be sure to try the recipe. Not sure if I can wait 48 hours, though…

Carissa May 5, 2011 at 5:38 am

These look fantastic. I love the chewy interior and crispy exterior. Thanks for the tips!

Caitlin May 5, 2011 at 6:31 am

So…chocolate cookies are in my top three dessert loves (brownies and ice cream being the other.) I have an entire Saturday evening off. I will be home alone. I have already given thought to a marathon of chick flicks. These would be the perfect companion. I hate you. I love you.

Maryellen May 5, 2011 at 10:12 am

Andrea,

Thank you so much for the beautiful write up and thank you sincerely to all your readers for their wonderful birthday wishes. I am so grateful.

Love always,
Ma

Patricia May 5, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Chocolate chip nirvana. I believe you!
Your marinara sauce recipe and gooey 3-cheese lasagna took me to a higher level of ‘I love you, Mom’ and for that I am and ever will be grateful.
Please tell your mom I said happy birthday all the way from Bangkok.

Erin May 8, 2011 at 3:37 am

Best chocolate chip cookies ever! I have been looking and trying recipes forever and this is the one I am keeping, oh and the crab (tuna) rangoon was a hit too!!

Morgan @ Endorphaholic May 12, 2011 at 2:23 pm

Oh my gosh these look amazing! My mom is going to just love it when I make these for her.
Isn’t being close with your mom the absolute best?!

Tamara August 23, 2011 at 11:27 am

Hi, Stumbled upon your site the other night and saw your recipe for chewy chocolate chip cookies and had to try them. Followed the recipe exactly, even put them in the fridge for 24 hours. Unless there is something wrong with my oven, 350 is much too high for this recipe. They were crunchy on the bottom with the edges turning black. Did you mean 300? They still tasted really good, and the second batch I baked for only 9 minutes and they turned out really well. Thanks for the recipe.

Tabitha May 7, 2012 at 4:27 pm

How big did you make your cookies? I made mine pretty good size and they turned out perfect

Lucy August 28, 2011 at 11:51 am

This looks amazing! I tried your Tuna Noodle Casserole last night and it was perfect for a rainy night to myself and my 80′s movies :) Now, the dough is in the fridge and I can’t wait!

Kelly December 12, 2011 at 10:05 pm

These are the best cookies! Just baked them tonight, and now I should be going to bed, but all I can think about is sneaking another cookie! They also pair perfectly with icecream. Thanks!

Erin March 29, 2012 at 1:33 pm

So delicious! I halved the recipe so as not to get myself into too much trouble. Thanks for sharing.

jeri April 13, 2012 at 12:34 pm

thanks for sharing this recipe,have tried & baked them, they were delicious—-tastes like subway’s chocolate chips cookies…..=)

Arusa April 23, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I’m going to try out this recipe now cause it looks delicious! And your mom and I share the same birthday! :)

Arusa April 23, 2012 at 6:41 pm

So I made them and they were delicious! They were so soft and gooey, just the way I like them!

kelly April 29, 2012 at 7:48 pm

this is hands down my favorite choc chip cookie recipe, my only alteration is I use 1 cup cake flour for one of the 2 cups of flour. oh YUM!

Tabitha May 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

I just made a batch of these! Delicious!!! I was too impatient to let them sit in the fridge for long :) And I also didn’t have vanilla so I used syrup.

Megan May 15, 2012 at 9:36 pm

Wow! I made these cookies, and they are the best cookies EVER! Everyone keeps asking for the recipe! And you’re right, putting it in the fridge really does make the difference! Thank you so much for putting this recipe up!

Carolyn July 3, 2012 at 10:33 am

Ok I have a few questions. I made the dough last night, and after I mixed all the flour in, the dough was SO thick and stiff! I could barely even mix the chocolate chips in, is that normal? Its in my fridge right now, and this morning I tried to steal a spoonful of dough to eat, and it is ROCK HARD! Am I supposed to chisel out the dough while its still hard & cold and roll it into the golf-ball sized balls? Or do I pull it out and let it “thaw” for a bit first to let it soften up? Thanks!

arlene July 22, 2012 at 6:03 am

I always refrigerate cookie dough for a few days before baking, but here is the newer trend. Please try this, it’s amazing. When removing dough from the fridge, wrap the dough around a Oreo cookie. Make sure the dough covers the Oreo completely. Then bake as usual. This will blow your mind especially when you don’t tell anyone what’s in it before they take their first bite. Bon appetit!

Shan February 22, 2013 at 7:30 pm

Alright girlfriend, trusting you on this. The mix is in the frig for 30 and we’ll be trying them out tonite. I have been on the hunt for the ”perfect’ chocolate chip cookies for a long time.
Found you on pinterest and look forward to checking around the rest of your blog.
Blessings,
The How to Guru

Christine March 17, 2013 at 10:33 am

Thank you, Andie! You’ve solved my chewy, chocolate chip cookie problem. The brown sugar tip was particularly helpful.

So now you’ve got me wondering if I can improve the texture of my brownie recipe by using brown sugar instead of white. Hmm… I may have to give that a try!

Grace September 4, 2013 at 8:55 pm

Can you add carbs to your recipes?! I follow weight watchers and it would be so helpful!! thank you!! ;D

Grace September 4, 2013 at 8:56 pm

by that I mean add the amount of carbs to the nutritional information section. haha.. that could have been read wrong :)

how to increase twitter followers for my business October 2, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Going forever distrait to print Facebook carry draws in a lot buy twitter followers uk cheap of debris,
and soil and but composition balance but at the like time I enjoy the feel of it.

Roger Bedard Jr January 13, 2014 at 3:51 am

Alton Brown gave these exact same tips and the scientific breakdown as to why it all happens as it does. His overall recipe is slightly different and I naturally tweaked it a bit on my own as well, but the main two things for the chewier cookies is the melted butter and the refrigerated cookie dough prior to cooking. Good stuff!

Claudia September 23, 2014 at 1:51 pm

Hi Andie, could you please be so kind to tell me how much does a butter stick weights in your country? it´s hard to measure accurately 12 spoons of butter and I don´t know the weight of a butter stick in the US. Thank you!