Soy Ginger Fried Couscous

by Andie Mitchell on May 25, 2011

couscous 055-2

It’s safe to say that if Daniel and I ever split up, we both know whose fault it is.

Alex Trebek.

We’re usually quite calm, big laughers, loving, a little like Laverne and Shirley, maybe. One of us being the masculine counterpart.

Generally, we’re making jokes at the world’s expense, I’m reprimanding pasta when its starchy water bubbles over the pot, Daniel is making promises to God in return for sports favors. Harmony on the whole.

couscous 023

But come 7:30 each evening, there is a marked difference in our den. You see, every night we play a lil’ ol’ game called Jeopardy. I bet the neighbors could tell you more about it than we can; the two of us so embroiled in game play that the outside world could be blown to smithereens and we’d still be positively wailing, “What are… THINGS THAT RHYME WITH SAILBOAT!!!”. The change in sounds booming from our apartment from 7:29 to 7:30 is like a flick of the radio dial from Mozart to gangsta rap. The explicit version.

We are stubborn, the two of us. Competitive in the way that pageant moms are on Toddlers and Tiaras. Both of us would sooner sign our bodies over to science than yield an inch of trivia territory. Let me put it this way, we’ve thought seriously about getting a voice recorder so we can replay answers when we’re unclear on who chimed in first. Guaranteed the voice recorder would be a pile of plastic parts next to the wall, two categories in.

couscous 052-3

The problem I find is this: Daniel is brilliant.

Don’t tell him I said that. Just, please don’t.

It’s true, though, I’ve never met anyone so intelligent in every way. One of the reasons I fell in love with him was for his genius. And that’s all well and good when we’re living our lives outside of the thirty minute time slot for Jeopardy. But once Alex starts reading those answers, Daniel is running categories and I’m rolling a snowball into a snowman of hatred. And while I consider myself to be smarter than a fourth grader (I make no promises about fifth graders), I’ve had to adapt to my Mensa competitor by using guerrilla game tactics. Darwin is smiling from the grave.

couscous 026-1

These tactics include, but are not limited to: shouting, crying, threatening, making obscene wagers and perhaps most effective, cooking. He wins: burnt toast. I win: Thanksgiving dinner. It’s best if I win, since I’m the mayor of the kitchen.

This dinner is one of the reasons our love can withstand Jeopardy. Sweet and salty fried couscous. It’s got all of the flavor and toasted depth of traditional Chinese fried rice, but with that whole ‘this is good for me’ thing goin’ on.

Daniel loves Asian food.

And, well, I just love eating.

couscous 066-1

Does that count as a Daily Double?

………….

Soy Ginger Fried Couscous

serves 4

• 3 eggs, lightly beaten
  • 2 cups cooked, cooled couscous
  • 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil, plus more for drizzling.
  • 1 bag organic broccoli slaw
  • 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 4 TBSP soy sauce
  • 1 TBSP brown sugar

Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Coat the pan with nonstick cooking spray. Add the beaten eggs and stir with a spatula almost constantly for 3 minutes, until scrambled, fluffy, and cooked through. Remove to a small plate. Wipe out the skillet.
Add 1 TBSP sesame oil to the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high.

Add the broccoli slaw, ginger, and garlic. Saute, stirring frequently for about 4 minutes, until slightly softened and fragrant.

Add the couscous. The pan will seem dry but you want the couscous to brown and get nice and crispy. Saute the mixture for about 2 minutes.

In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Pour into the pan. Stir to combine. Drizzle with additional sesame oil. Add the scrambled eggs to the pan and mix well.

sophia May 25, 2011 at 9:54 pm

You guys are the most adorable couple ever. I wish there was a sitcom on you. But first, a cooking how with Jeopardy. ;-)

Halley May 25, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Mr. C runs faster than me… I’ve considered taking a lasso with me just so I can beat him.
You two are perfect for each other. Is he super smart at trivia or all things?

Can’t wait to try this unique and tasty recipe!

Johnny May 26, 2011 at 2:25 am

OK, I’m not really into any of the reality shows…really not at all..ask my wife, but I would tell the grim reaper he was just going to have to wait because my favorite reality show is on…”Our Daily Lives” featuring Andi and Daniel!!!! OH HOW MUCH FUN THAT WOULD BE!!!

Great looking dish! :)

Nikki May 26, 2011 at 5:27 am

What is it with game shows and dinner? I hate eating dinner with the TV on, but every once in a while I want to bring out tray tables and eat a heaping bowl of something yummy like this while shouting out the wrong answers to trivia questions. Just like you and Daniel, a match made in heaven.

Evan Thomas May 26, 2011 at 5:41 am

I would like this for breakfast, please and thank you.

LizAshlee May 26, 2011 at 5:46 am

Don’t you love that food makes everything better?!:) Your photos were awesome as usual! :)

Have a beautiful day!

Caitlin @ The Caitie Experiment May 26, 2011 at 6:13 am

I so love this post, since last night, I actually presented my “How We Can Actually Score Our Jeopardy Matches” theory to Andrew in-between regular and double Jeopardy (it involves photocopies, sharpies, and a calculator). We’ve also instituted a new rule called “Top 5″, in which as soon as the FJ category is announced, we each pick 5 potential answers and if one of them is the actual answer (question?), that person gets double the points they wagered. In short, I’m just glad it’s not just us! :)

And I can’t WAIT to make this; I love all things stir-fried and couscous!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 26, 2011 at 6:26 am

Haha I like your game tactics!! Daniel should be careful or he might go hungry if he doesn’t play nice! :)

Melissa May 26, 2011 at 6:51 am

Glad to hear I’m not the only one to be this competitive when it comes to Jeopardy–but you’re so lucky that you’ve found someone who “gets” this obsession. That’s an important foundation to build on!

Love the simplicity of this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite May 26, 2011 at 6:57 am

Andie, I cannot WAIT to make this! What a great, simple meal that packs so much flavor…and is healthy! Thanks for sharing this friend!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 26, 2011 at 7:07 am

Your talk about Jeopardy made me laugh! When Matt and I watch he is SO much better than I am… I get excited if I get a handful of answers during a show lol.

Riss May 26, 2011 at 7:15 am

I couldn’t help but smile throughout this entire post. You are too precious, Andie! I just love how you weave stories through your recipes… and how you can make something so simple look so amazing!

Krystina (Organically Me) May 26, 2011 at 7:36 am

Hahaha, you guys sound like me when I play Jeopardy. Except I try to say the answer (question?) as loud as humanly possible, so that if I’m wrong and someone else is right, I can play the “I didn’t hear you” card

Gina May 26, 2011 at 7:59 am

Uh oh…if Daniel a Boston sports fan, we will definitely need to introduce the boys…since Mickey is, ya know…#1 Boston sports fan!!!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun May 26, 2011 at 8:35 am

Love that you guys play Jeopardy together. It really can be such a fun show to watch when you get into trying to answer. Plus, getting even one Jeopardy answer right makes you a genius, right?

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods May 26, 2011 at 8:39 am

Very cool shot of the wisk breaking the egg yolk. Love the sound of this recipe. Simple and delicious, perfection.

Beth @ Beth's Journey May 26, 2011 at 8:43 am

Woah this sounds amazing Andrea! I love broccoli slaw and have never seen it used quite like this before.. yum!

Chris May 26, 2011 at 8:49 am

What an awesome alternative/twist on fried rice! I know what’s on the menu this week.

Heidi C May 26, 2011 at 8:56 am

Hilarious post, Andie! My husband and I are so competitive with each other. Not with Jeopardy (I know he would kick my butt, which, like you, results in burnt toast for dinner), but mostly board games.

You perfectly described how it feels: “I’m rolling a snowball into a snowman of hatred.” I know it’s irrational, but I can’t help it! I’m not a good loser. :)

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 26, 2011 at 9:02 am

Tyler and I are serious battleship competitors. Every time we go to my parents cabin, we have at minimum 6 games… it’s pretty intense!

Megan (Braise The Roof) May 26, 2011 at 9:03 am

Oooh, adding sugar is genius- I have to try that next time. I made fried rice last night, too. We must’ve been subconsciously communicating. :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? May 26, 2011 at 10:21 am

First of all, this looks delicious.
Second, I used to play Trivial Pursuit all the time with my ex boyfriend. The rule was that he had to lose because I HATED when he beat me. He also wasnt allowed to ask me questions I wouldnt know the answer to. :)

Clarissa @ Sober and the City May 26, 2011 at 10:51 am

Very cool idea to use cous cous instead of rice! I love trivia, but I know Leo is smarter than me when it comes to current events. We are also ultra-competitive and can’t even play a certain card game or he will literally not hate me for the next 24 hours. We used to play Jeopardy on the PS3 though, FUN!

Cortney @ Nerd on the Run May 26, 2011 at 10:55 am

I think I love Jeopardy as much as you guys do! I think I’ve been playing/watching it since about 3rd grade with my grandparents and have always wanted to try out for it. I don’t have anyone to play with at home b/c the dog is no fun but I totally yell out answers at the tv. Stupid Eastern WA tv has it come on at 7pm instead of the 7:30 that I was sued to growing up. Now I have to hurry up with whatever I’m doing to make the 7pm slot. Who like Wheel of Fortune anyway? That game is for wimps!
This couscous looks yummy! Thanks for sharing! :)

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy May 26, 2011 at 11:34 am

OMG. We must do a doubles tournament some day.
Except I fear none of us would come out alive as Brandon and I, God forbid, should ever split up, it would most likely be due to a heated match of Jeopardy, Trivial Persuit or last but not least, Apples to Apples.
Competition is healthy though, I say. And it’s good to not talk to eachother for a few hours…right..?

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 26, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Haha! Jeopardy is my FAVORITE show! I saw it being taped two years ago… it was the best day of my life!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape May 26, 2011 at 1:20 pm

From this post alone, I have decided that you and Daniel are adorable. Jeapordy nights?! I mean seriously–adorable. lol Love the idea of fried couscous! Such an innovative way to use it!

Katie@Cozydelicious May 26, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I have never thought o use couscous instead of rice! It looks fantastic!

fittingbackin May 26, 2011 at 3:40 pm

This recipe looks awesome!

Nelly Rodriguez May 26, 2011 at 4:11 pm

Loved this post! Definitely made me smile and so happy you have that love, that one person you can win over with food ;) Always good. Now…the recorder idea? Might be use a teeny tiny…little itty bit….crazy? hahaha!

Megan @ On the Road Again May 26, 2011 at 4:54 pm

I laughed out loud at the Mozart to gangsta rap line. My husband and I do the same thing when the clock strikes 7:30. We don’t have cable, so Jeopardy is our main entertainment every evening. We wouldn’t miss it for the world.

Bee May 26, 2011 at 6:16 pm

You’re brilliant. I’m loving things with ginger these days. I’ve never made couscous myself, but this might convince me to! :)

Sarah Wendell May 26, 2011 at 6:17 pm

I’be been following your blog for awhile now and I feel like this is the time to comment-you’re precious and I enjoy your stories and recipes. I’m glad to know that me and my boyfriend aren’t the only ones that go crazy time over Jeopardy-don’t get me started on Cash Cab! I also need to thank you for my new addiction: wrapping anything in won-ton or egg roll wrappers and baking it. I mean anything, just so ya know…peanut butter gets way to soggy (PB&J rolls seemed like such a good idea at the time). Thanks again!!

AndreaSomething May 26, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I love it! My boo and I are the same way (I used to think I was smart…then I started playing jeopardy with him)

I love that I have all of these ingredients in my kitchen right now – looks DELICIOUS!

Cat May 27, 2011 at 8:06 am

Could you make this with quinoa? I have a bunch I need to use up. :-)

Nat May 29, 2011 at 2:13 pm

That couscous looks delicious! Must try it.

elle June 15, 2011 at 6:25 pm

Tried this recipe tonight…even better than I’d thought it’d be. i used wheatberries b/c I didn’t have cous cous and was fantastic.

Amelia August 5, 2011 at 6:19 am

Hi! I love your blog!

I made this recipe last night and it was delicious. I totally needed to top it with scallions but didn’t have any. I used whole wheat cous cous.

Do you have the nutritional information? I logged it into Myfitnesspal (calorie counting site) and I’d like to compare my numbers with yours.

Thanks!

Courtney December 4, 2011 at 5:06 pm

I stumbled across your site via Pinterest! I saw this recipe and decided to try it tonight, even though I didn’t have some of the ingredients. I didn’t have the fresh ginger and garlic, so I used the powdered stuff and I didn’t have the broccoli slaw, so I used just onion instead. Ohmygawd! It was so good, that I had to post a comment. Thank you for sharing your recipes and most of all your insipring story.

Jen February 13, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Great idea to use the couscous. Made this tonight, and it was so tasty, especially with a sprinkling of chopped cilantro and a squeeze of fresh lime juice. Thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Vicky March 13, 2012 at 8:36 am

Fried couscous? I’ve never heard of anything like this! Definitely worth a try!

Kari April 24, 2012 at 6:15 am

This sounds amazing, I can’t wait to try it.

Sarah July 10, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Thanks for this great recipe! So simple and totally hit the spot on this hot summer night! I can see why it is like magic in your house! :) I think my husband and I will fight over the leftovers, though.