Blueberry Crumb Bars

by Andie Mitchell on May 26, 2011

cupcakes, bluberry crumb, chili 025_edited-1

Sometimes I meet people who say they don’t “live to eat” they “eat to live”

Sometimes I envy these people. Because then maybe I wouldn’t think about food in the same infatuated, wish-I-could-breathe-you, way I thought about Daniel when we first fell in love.

Sometimes I’m out with people who simply forget to eat, who find themselves halfway into the day without a shrug at breakfast, without even speaking to lunch.

3.13.11 008

Sometimes I envy these people. Because then maybe I’d find myself so immersed in life and living that maybe I wouldn’t look forward to food in the same way I look forward to Easter, when Cadbury and Peeps and Russell Stover come over.

Sometimes I find myself so consumed with conversation as I’m eating with Daniel, a friend, my mum, that I look down, an empty plate replacing what was once full, and realize I don’t remember having eaten.

3.13.11 014

Sometimes I miss that food and wish I could treat her better the second time around. Because then maybe I’d enjoy her slowly and she, well, she’d enjoy me too.

But sometimes,

Sometimes I eat blueberry crumb bars and can’t contain one smile from bleeding into another and another and another. I can’t seem to find one other thought in my head that ever set me so on fire.

cupcakes, bluberry crumb, chili 039_edited-1

And then, those times, I realize that eating can be loved. And loved too much. And loved too little. But loved nonetheless.

And sometimes that’s all I really need in my life.

And I smile again.

………………….

Blueberry Crumb Bar recipe from Smitten Kitchen

cupcakes-bluberry-crumb-chili-012_edited-1

Liz @ IHeartVegetables May 26, 2011 at 11:31 pm

WOW!!! Those look SO Good! I’m currently wishing they were sitting on my kitchen table, so I could wake up to them for breakfast tomorrow… *sigh*

Johnny May 27, 2011 at 2:51 am

Pasion for food brings an added curl to the smile that just wouldn’t be there otherwise. It’s not missing the food, it’s missing the experience. Being pasionate about the food you eat transforms eating into a love afair….And I could really have an afair with those bars… :) :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet May 27, 2011 at 3:16 am

Do people who forget to eat really exist? That concept just doesn’t make sense to me! I love food too much to skip a meal accidentally or on purpose.

I’ve been wanting to make these bars and now I REALLY want to make them.

Riss May 27, 2011 at 4:09 am

You speak the truth, Andie… I wonder about (and envy) those people who don’t seem to think about food ever waking moment of the day. You, my dear, have reached a place of acceptance that I have yet to find: realizing that it’s OKAY.

Food (cooking, baking, sampling, planning, preparing, eating… all of it!) is my hobby and something I delight in (and at times loath). But gosh, I often wish I could have picked a hobby that was kinder to my waistline!

LizAshlee May 27, 2011 at 5:49 am

The blueberry bars look A-MAZING! What beautiful colors too! I love when my food is colorful! :) Going to have to check out the recipe!

Happy Friday!

Parita May 27, 2011 at 7:11 am

Those bars look great! I love the purplish blue color.

And I was just thinking about how sometimes I wish I could just contain myself around certain foods (ahem…anything chocolate). It’s so hard. Such is life…!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) May 27, 2011 at 8:18 am

I think it’s something you can teach yourself.. intuitive eating. Have you read the book “women food and god” ? it’s definitely worth a read :)

Sarah May 27, 2011 at 12:00 pm

I am a lot like you, lady – I live to eat in a BIG way! It’s our blessing and our curse, but at least it is what makes us US – passionate!!

Liv @ The Salty n' Sweet May 27, 2011 at 12:48 pm

This was such a well written post, and so fittingly describes my relationship with food. Sometimes, I wish my days didn’t revolve around meals, planning what to eat and when to cook. I wish that every bite that I take didn’t have so much weight and significance. But then, I realize that food is something that I love, like another person loves music or soccer or fashion. I want to live, breathe, eat it, and I wouldn’t have it any other way :)

Gina May 27, 2011 at 2:11 pm

I am most definently on the live to eat team. Always thinking about my next meal…we are in Chicago and all we’ve planned (except our friend’s wedding) is where we are going to eat!!!

Halley May 27, 2011 at 2:29 pm

Live to eat team! I know a few people who forget to eat and I always give them a confounded stare. They usually seem afraid of kitchens/cooking.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy & Healthy May 27, 2011 at 8:28 pm

It’s like people who say they can’t eat when they’re upset. I eat like 20x’s more when I’m upset. (My Jerry Seinfeld): Who ARE these people??

Krystina (Organically Me) May 27, 2011 at 8:49 pm

Thinking about food, and loving food, is one of the best pleasures around. I wake up in the morning thinking of what I want for dinner. I fall asleep at night thinking of breakfast. I wouldn’t want it any other way.

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) May 27, 2011 at 9:51 pm

I can’t imagine someone forgetting to eat!! I just don’t get people like that. I forget a lot of things- but NEVER meals!

Kristi May 28, 2011 at 4:01 am

I love your writing. And I have love food… maybe a little too much. I use food for everything… to celebrate, to comfort, to enjoy, and sometimes to hate.

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat May 28, 2011 at 5:06 am

It always baffles me how some people “forget to eat”. How can one forget to eat? I’m usually dreaming up my lunch at breakfast and as I eat said lunch, ideas are streaming through my head as to what I want to chef up for dinner. Right now, I’m thinking these bars would be a pretty spectacular breakfast this morning!

Evan Thomas May 28, 2011 at 5:58 am

Now I’m definitely hungry if I wasn’t before.

Joy May 28, 2011 at 3:35 pm

Yes! I’ve made these twice since Deb posted them on Smitten Kitchen. Rave reviews both times, and they are impossibly easy! My advice, don’t skimp on the lemon zest! The first time I accidentally put the zest in w/ the juice instead of the dry ingredients, so after I put it with the dry stuff, there was double lemon zest…and that was definitely the superior batch.

Lisa May 28, 2011 at 3:47 pm

These look amazing!
I’m definitely not one of those people who forgets to eat….that just doesn’t happen here. Ever!

Leah @ Why Deprive? May 28, 2011 at 5:29 pm

Why is it that all baked goods are better when they have crumbs on top? I made banana crumb muffins the other night and they’ve all I’ve been able to think about for days. Theyre so good its almost inappropriate when I eat them. :)
I will never understand these people that arent obsessed with food. I love it, very much. I can talk about it for my entire life. Nothing makes me happier than eating a good meal, and then telling everyone I know about it.

chelsey @ clean eating chelsey May 28, 2011 at 7:20 pm

I don’t understand people who don’t get enjoyment out of eating. Eating is all about pleasure for me!

Brittany May 29, 2011 at 7:32 am

Sometimes I wish I could be one of those people who forget to eat, but most of the time I’m perfectly content being a food lover. :)

Also, I’m pretty sure I need a blueberry crumb bar in my life.

anneliesz May 31, 2011 at 7:07 pm

I second Brittany on this.

Bee May 29, 2011 at 8:18 am

I love fruity bars like this–actually, in a picnic or potluck or bake sale type setting, I’m far more likely to nab a crumb bar or lemon square than a brownie or cookie. I just love the fresh taste, a good meal-ender. Not that I don’t grab chocolate at every other various time throughout the day…

MelissaNibbles May 29, 2011 at 2:41 pm

I don’t understand people who “forget” to eat. I schedule my day around my meals. Well, that’s not true, well maybe kinda…

peabody May 29, 2011 at 3:49 pm

I once dated a eats to live kind of guy. It was so boring and no fun whatsoever. Though I must say, weight wise it might be easier. :)

Mary @ Fervent Foodie May 29, 2011 at 6:47 pm

People who “forget” to eat drive me CRAZY! How is it possible that from the instant you opened your eyes this morning 96.8% of your thoughts were not consumed with FOOD?

Cara May 30, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I can totally relate. as many times as I’ve wished that I could simply forget a meal or feel less enamored with food like certain people I know, I think I more feel badly for them, knowing what joys they are missing out on!

Brittany May 30, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Loooveee this post. Food can be such a happy part of our day to day lives as long as we don’t abuse the relationship. I have struggled with this at times, but have found a healthy balance to comfortably say I live to eat AND eat to live. I love your blog, I saw you live in Seattle..and I live across the water in Silverdale! I get excited finding bloggers that live near by. I can’t want to read more (and try these blueeebb bars!)

sara June 3, 2011 at 1:22 pm

I do not, can not, will not ever understand people who are meh about food! How is it even possible to forget about a meal?! How can a person not shiver with excitement over the prospect of something delicious?

Methinks broken tastebuds are to blame. There can’t possibly be any other explanation.

betty pooler August 2, 2011 at 5:59 pm

how do you make the blueberry crumb bars. what is in it and how much do you put n it.