Petite Cinnamon Raisin Scones

3.13.11 146

Oh what a thing to wake up to.

And look. I served them special on a butter wrapper.

3.13.11 078

I get real fancy at six in the a.m. 3.13.11 006

The crumbliest, bittiest butter-cream scones. Petite and piping hot, they have a gentle cinnamon spiciness and many a sweet, plump raisin. Each bite is tender and rich, with the flavor of sweetened cream.

3.13.11 138

It’s best to eat them straight from the oven, split open and buttered.

3.13.11 014

3.13.11 150

3.13.11 021

3.13.11 143

Petite Cinnamon Raisin Scones

Makes about 12-15 mini scones

2 cups flour

Β½ cup sugar, plus extra for sprinkling

3 teaspoons baking powder

2 teaspoons cinnamon

1 teaspoon kosher salt

1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, diced

2 eggs, lightly beaten

1/2 cup cold heavy cream

3/4 cup raisins

1 egg, beaten, for egg wash

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.

Whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt. Add the cold butter and mix on low speed with an electric mixer or in a standing mixer until the flour and butter combine to form pea-sized crumbs. Lightly beat the eggs and heavy cream in a small bowl and add to the flour/butter mixture. Mix until just combined. Add the raisins. The dough will be sticky.

Flour a large work surface, your hands, and a rolling pin and roll out the dough to about 1” thickness. Use a small glass cup, or a biscuit cutter, to make small circular scones. Place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.

Brush the tops of each scone with the last beaten egg and sprinkle generously with sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the outsides are crisp and just beginning to turn golden.

Comments

1. Ellen Renee says

It is almost midnight – right before my shift ends – just happen to check your blog…..droool…..this looks so good. Wonder if they would freeze well – I am the only person in my family who will eat raisins. I have only had one scone in my life (petite vanilla bean at Starbucks) this shall be my maiden voyage :o) Have a lovely day.

• says

Scones don’t freeze well, but scone dough does! Form ’em, freeze ’em, and bake ’em straight from the oven whenever the craving strikes. From one lonely raisin lover to another.

P.S. Andie these look DELISH.

2. says

I want to love scones. They always look so amazing! But everytime I have eaten one they are always so dry. So my question…is this normal or have I just never had a good scone? Maybe I just need Andie’s scones!

3. says

Oh my word, these are absolutely adorable. I pretty much love any dessert that is petite, if only for the inherent portion control which I generally ruin by then eating two. Fantastic recipe!!

4. says

Um, not only are these delicious looking, but they are so tiny that you can eat twice as many of them!!! These would be SO GOOD with some clotted cream!!!

5. says

Perfect timing, Andie! I just bought a bag of mixed jumbo raisins yesterday. Your petite scones sound absolutely perfect to satisfy my craving.

6. says

I’m gonna go ahead and say that everything tastes better straight from the oven, smeared with butter. :) These look great- I’m not usually a scone person b/c they’re usually too crumbly for my taste, but these look perfect!

7. Denise says

How do you not gain weight eating heavy cream and real butter? Do you adjust the ingredients to make these low-cal?

8. says

I think I am in love. These look absolutely wonderful! I was just thinking how nice they would be for mothers day, and then I realized that it has already passed. I think fathers day is just as good an idea. πŸ˜‰

Adding this to my favorites! Thank you so much for sharing! πŸ˜€