Garlic and Parsley Stuffed Shrimp

by Andie Mitchell on June 5, 2011

1.9.11 012_edited-1

I moved into a new apartment this weekend.

Daniel.

Me.

1 large sofa

1 [quite massive] kitchen table with 4 chairs

1 queen mattress and boxed spring

Clothing

Clothing

Clothing

Kitchen stuff

Kitchen stuff

Even more kitchen stuff

No really, why is there so much kitchen stuff?

Okay but come on with the clothes. Really?

Daniel’s Xbox

My megaphone

1.9.11 013_edited-1

Needless to say, Daniel was scraping my limp body off the sidewalk on Friday morning, afternoon, and night.

I [sorely] missed our first Seattle home.

I clung to that Sub Zero refrigerator.

1.9.11 007

I told my marble countertops that no one would ever love ‘em so good.

I mouthed I miss you already to all twenty-seven of the functions of my microwave.

I looked at that porcelain sink o’ mine and told her she was as purdy as purdy gets. She blushed.

Daniel didn’t understand why I’d miss it so. Kiddo, we’re moving to another great place! The new apartment has more charm; it’s homey; we’ll make it our own! Hey! There’s a backyard!

But b-bu- but- oh nevermind.

1.9.11 015_edited-1

The only one who seemed to understand my plight was my dear friend, Edna. She’s 8 years old, also a chihuahua, and she lives across the hall. We get each other. You know how it goes.

It’s not the bedroom that I’ll fret over. Not the bathroom, the closets, or the windows doubly as tall as me.

No, it’s the kitchen.

I’ll miss her dearly.

But I’m getting cozy with my new one. Figuring out the right sway from stove to sink to supper table. It’s going to take a week or two to find my groove. It’s going to take a week or two, but I’ll make her mine. I’ll stock her silly with microplanes and garlic presses and no less than 6 (uh huh, six) tubs of marshmallow Fluff.

I bet you’re *interested to know what the first meal I made in my new place was?

*Make believe.

Roasted stuffed shrimp.

It just felt right. Summery and special. Seattle was positively radiant on Friday and Saturday. 75 degrees, not a cloud over head.

The sun talked me into beaching and kayaking and *margaritas.

*You know how she can be.

I love everything about this dish. The way the olive oil brushed shrimp tend to drip the heady flavor of garlic and parsley and lemon onto my plate. The way shrimp crisps and sort of snaps between my teeth before revealing a juicy, tender middle. The richness of a well seasoned bread stuffing. The way a hot, crisp-skinned tater picks up all of that salty flavor. And how sour cream melts into the all the pierced fork holes in that fluffy potato middle. How chives brighten and refresh the palate between bites.

Just trust me here.

This meal made my fifth move in the past four years bearable. It also made Daniel forgive me for telling him I hated all of his belongings.

I [almost] regret saying it.

Click here for the recipe.

Halley June 6, 2011 at 12:23 am

Congratulations! It sounds like a tricky change but I’m sure this new kitchen will try so hard to please, you’ll have it rolling on its back in no time…. This is reminding me of Beauty and The Beast.

Also backyard = win.

Cait @ Beyond Bananas June 6, 2011 at 2:00 am

Moving is always (stressful) but fun too.. you get to set up and decorate a whole new place.. just the way you want it.. putting your unique touches on it!

Johnny June 6, 2011 at 2:35 am

Those shrimp would take the stress out of anything! They look ab..so..lut..ly deelicious!! I think that you and Daniel would make any place you’re in HOME. After all it’s not the place but who’s in it! :) Have a great week getting to know your new home!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 6, 2011 at 3:25 am

I hate moving but sometimes there is something wonderful about starting fresh in a new place! I thought you were going to say that your first meal in the kitchen was PB & fluff:-)

Jessica @ How Sweet June 6, 2011 at 3:45 am

What will it take for you to come make me this for dinner?

Kristi June 6, 2011 at 4:43 am

Garlic and parsley stuffed shrimp.. oh my. That sounds good.
I hate moving, but I love going through all my things and getting rid of stuff that I no longer use, but has been hiding in a cabinet I don’t feel like cleaning out. I hope you and your new kitchen become very good friends.

Nelly Rodriguez June 6, 2011 at 4:57 am

I love your writing! You happy happy in your new home in now time! In the mean time.. keep writing! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 6, 2011 at 5:00 am

Conveniently, I purchased a bag of shrimp this weekend! Congrats on the new place Andie – I’m sure it will feel like home soon!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) June 6, 2011 at 5:27 am

How exciting! So happy for you and Daniel!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy June 6, 2011 at 5:35 am

I love eating shrimp in the summer.
And sring.
And fall.
And winter.
Ok you got me…I love shrimp all the time.

KaraHadley June 6, 2011 at 5:37 am

Um…you left that kitchen why? Ha! I’m sure you’ll very quickly come to love your new kitchen. It’s more about why you do with your kitchen than anything else after all.
And speaking of clothes — I had 5 big trashbags full when I just moved. I lived in a dorm. I don’t know how I fit that many clothes in one tiny room, but m’gosh, I did it.

LizAshlee June 6, 2011 at 5:44 am

Yay for moving forward! :)I am sure you will settle in and find things that you enjoy even more about your new place!

Have a wonderful Monday!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods June 6, 2011 at 5:46 am

Aw, sorry to hear about your old kitchen. Hopefully you’ll love the new one just as much. These shrimp look fantastic- perfect for summer!

Miss Anthropist's Kitchen June 6, 2011 at 6:34 am

Change is always the hardest, but you’ll get used to your new apartment in no time!
That shrimp…looks SO good.

Sarah June 6, 2011 at 6:52 am

1)YAY!! Mazel tov for finishing moving! Tt is SUCH a terrible experience, but now you can enjoy your new home!!

2)Garlic and shellfish…if you didn’t JUST move I would DEFINITELY ask you to come be my roomie/personal chef… ;)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic June 6, 2011 at 7:09 am

Congrats on the move! I think shrimp and garlic is a perfect pairing, and stuffing a shrimp with garlic and parsley is a delicious idea!

Tanya @ Sunday Baker June 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

Good luck with the move! I’m not usually a shrimp lover, but honestly that first picture made me want some! Looks delicious!

The Café Sucré Farine June 6, 2011 at 7:45 am

These look amazing, just beautiful photos, also, Would make great appetizers for a dinner party, thanks!

Barefootcookingirl June 6, 2011 at 7:54 am

Moving is more stressfull than divorce. Truly.
“They” – you know – those university types who do all those reports on why cereal goes limp in milk and such….well, that’s what “they” say….and I believe it, after moving myself last year. 5th time in 6 years. You have my major sympaty, sweetie! :)

Kate June 6, 2011 at 8:27 am

The Seattle sun talked me into margaritas on Saturday too. And BBQ…

Backyards are wonderful. We moved about 2 months ago to a place with a yard and to just lay in the grass sunning yourself like Seattleites do on the first day that starts to feel like summer is wonderful.

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen June 6, 2011 at 8:30 am

We moved this weekend as well! Unfortunately, my kitchen isn’t anywhere near usable just yet. Oatmeal was a struggle this morning. But once we get unpacked, it’s going to be great :D

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 6, 2011 at 8:35 am

I feel you on the moving thing. I’m on home #4 in the last 2.5 years- I’m DONE moving for now. I hope you get to love and cuddle with your new kitchen lots in the next few weeks. :)

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday June 6, 2011 at 8:55 am

Welcome to your new home. I hope she treats you as well as the first place.

Gina June 6, 2011 at 11:00 am

Ugh, I still can’t get over how amazing this weekend was! Why are boy so attached to weird things;)

Leah @ Why Deprive? June 6, 2011 at 12:23 pm

Moving is terrible. Its like painting – it doesnt seem like such a bad idea until you actually start. But Im pretty sure if someone made these shrimp for me afterwards, moving might actually be worth it.

Jessie June 6, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Oh gosh do I relate to your post! Last month I moved into my 5th home in a year. No, that’s not a typo, 5 different addresses in 1 year. No wonder I’m exhausted! I plan to stay put for a while.

I just got comfortable with my kitchen, and I have to say, as annoying as it is to get settled, it’s really fun to start over in a new space. I enjoy finding a new home for my dish towels, the best space for my dishes, etc.

From the looks of your shrimp, it doesn’t seem like settling in to your new space has put a damper on your cooking ability!

JaNelle June 6, 2011 at 2:21 pm

I totally feel you on the kitchen! The husband/man and I are planning a move and the current kitchen leaves so much to be desired. So unlike you, I’m so ready to leave it haha. But I’m judging all new houses on kitchens and bathrooms.

Honey @ Honey, What's Cooking June 6, 2011 at 3:03 pm

I hate moving too… I get attached very quickly so I feel your pain. This shrimp looks amazing.. love garlic and parsley… it’s so italian and so healhty. :-)

Lisa June 6, 2011 at 4:10 pm

I hate moving….but I’ll be doing it again in two months. Gack.

I do love shrimp though, and these look amazing!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm

Congratulations on the move and I know you’ll get used to that new kitchen in no time (while also making insanely deliciuos gorgeous food all at the same time!) These stuffed shrimp look so good, what a wonderful warm weather meal :)

Kate (What Kate is Cooking) June 7, 2011 at 7:57 pm

I haven’t moved since I was five- I’m already dreading it when the time comes!

CBarry @ Barry's Bites June 7, 2011 at 8:55 pm

I’m moving too! And currently procrastinating from packing by reading your blog!

Hillary June 7, 2011 at 11:25 pm

stunning – these belong in a 5 star restaurant!

Rebecca @ How the Cookies Crumble June 16, 2011 at 2:53 pm

Ah moving! I feel ya. I’m pretty sure I’ve moved at least once a year since the time I was 18. But I’m sure your new kitchen and you will become friends right away.

As for the shrimp – well done, friend! They look yum-yum-tastic!!

Sonia - L'Exquisit June 26, 2011 at 6:10 am

I have prepared it many times and is delicious. Thank you for the recipe!