Perfectly Grilled Steak Bulgogi

by Andie Mitchell on June 19, 2011

steak couscous 182

This guy deserves two full days of fatherly celebration. He also deserves a plate of grilled beef bulgogi. Unfortunately, he’s a coast, and a time zone, away.

My dearest PJ,

No one grills steak to a tender pink center quite like you do.

No one makes meatballs like you do.

No one hugs me like you do.

steak couscous 127

No one knows the weather like you do.

No one drinks six cups of coffee at 6am like *you do.

*Except me.

steak couscous 165

No calls me sweetheart quite so honestly, so often.

No one accepts me as unconditionally and limitlessly as *you do.

*Except DeeDee. But I hear pugs are real love bugs.

steak couscous 115

No one has moved me through three states, three dorm rooms, four apartments, and several hundred comings home. Like you have.

No one showed me what dads feel like. Not like you, anyhow.

No one makes me feel so swaddled and secure each day of my life. No one even tries.

No one gave me directions to every cranny of Massachusetts while I filmed Shutter Island.

steak couscous 121

No one’s smile and laugh can so instantly upturn the corners of my mouth. No one.

but

no one

and I mean no one

loves you like *I do.

steak couscous 160

Love beyond love beyond love,

*Except DeeDee, but you remember what I said about pugs being love bugs?

……….

This marinade and method is the best I’ve tried. The steak softens and saves every drip drop of juiciness for your first bite. The sauce is sweet-meets-salty, with powerful notes of soy and fresh ginger and toasted sesame. It pairs perfectly with any summery side.

PJ, you would love it. Hear me? Love it.

Grilled Steak Bulgogi

(serves 4)

• 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • ½ cup chopped green onions
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2 TBSP sesame oil
  • 2 TBSP rice wine vinegar
  • 1 lb flank steak
  1. Whisk all ingredients in a small bowl.
  2. Place the flank steak into a gallon sized resealable plastic bag. Pour the marinade over the steak and press to remove all air and seal. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours.
  3. Set all burners of a gas grill to medium. Grill 5 minutes per side. Let the beef rest for 15 minutes before slicing thinly, against the grain.

stephanie June 20, 2011 at 1:53 am

Very manly dish indeed!!! AI LAIK as I have to cook a man to thank him for a trip he took me on (http://theinternationalcookingclub.blogspot.com/2011/06/absent-note-italian-lifestyle.html)!!! Thumbs Up Andie!

Johnny June 20, 2011 at 2:34 am

Now that’s a tribute!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 20, 2011 at 4:18 am

OOH- I see that meal in my future, not necessarily for my dad (he’s more a pasta kinda guy), but definitely for my boyfriend. And that word makes it even better – bulgogi. I’d never heard of it before, but I like it. ;-)

Sarah@The Flying ONION June 20, 2011 at 4:22 am

This is such a sweet post and tribute. And the recipe sounds fabulous. I did promise my dad a meal for next week, post-fathers day celebrations, and this one just might be it. :D

Lisa June 20, 2011 at 4:28 am

Looks amazing! I am a big fan of bulgogi….mmmmm :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 20, 2011 at 5:17 am

Ooh this sounds good! My dad lives about 16 hours away from me, but next time he comes to visit, I’ll be making this for him!

Sarah June 20, 2011 at 7:01 am

LOVE Bulgogi! And I feel like I would love your PJ!

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite June 20, 2011 at 7:07 am

Beautiful tribute! And that steak looks like pure heaven :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic June 20, 2011 at 7:07 am

My mom makes bulgogi and my dad goes crazy for it. I will pass this recipe on to them!

Liz @ Tip Top Shape June 20, 2011 at 7:28 am

What a beautiful homage to your father! Lovely!

PJ June 20, 2011 at 9:31 am

Wow Andrea, waking up to your words of love is great way to start any day! It makes me feel like you were right here telling me in person. Thank you so much!

I love you and miss you. – PJ

I will try out your marinade recipe soon ;-)

Megan (Braise The Roof) June 20, 2011 at 9:44 am

Great tribute! And yum, I love flank steak. I’ll be needing to put some on my shopping list. :)

Krystina (Organically Me) June 20, 2011 at 12:14 pm

I don’t eat steak, but the word bulgogi fills me with an immeasurable amount of glee.

Riss June 20, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Holy yum. I am sure PJ would be proud, Andie! And I am truly devastated that my grill croaked several weeks ago.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic June 20, 2011 at 4:25 pm

this is so sweet! and the steak looks just delicious, that marinade sounds like the perfect blend of flavors. hope you are doing well! :)

Jules June 20, 2011 at 7:41 pm

just recently started following your blog…. and don’t even remember how i ended up here but i’m in love w/ it. i adore your writing style, honesty, and LOVE for food. you are inspiring, lovely and gorgeous – so keep on keepin’ on!

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun June 21, 2011 at 3:58 am

That does look like perfectly grilled steak! And can I just say I missed being able to read your blog while I was away!

Karen July 25, 2012 at 9:52 am

so i’m catching up on some of your older posts (since i just found this website a few months ago) and this one couldn’t have been found at a better time! I was already planning on cooking Bulgogi on Friday night! it’s been years since I’ve last had it. Time to try a new recipe :). I love food and am totally excited to try this version.