Rhubarb Lime Ginger Jam

by Andie Mitchell on June 20, 2011

favorite foods 035

I love jam.

favorite foods 038

Love jam, love jam, love love love jam. I like jelly too, though. And preserves and honeys and butters and spreads and things that sweeten my cavities.

preserving 022-1

My cavities smile.

preserving 017

preserving 018

I want to spread jam on anything and everything. I want buttered bread with tanned crusts and a soup spoon-full of jam smothering perfectly symmetrical sides.

favorite foods 049

I want tart on the tongue but sweet as I chew. Clean, crisp, bright, and cold. Always cold.

Thick and seedy.  Or syrupy and smooth.

preserving 020

I want to know the only ‘gredients that went into that glass jar were fruit and sugar and water and maybe, just maybe, something zested for tang.

favorite foods 048

Pure. Simple.

I want. I want. I want.

Rhubarb Lime Jam

2 1/2 pounds fresh rhubarb, chopped

2 cups white sugar

juice and zest of 1 lime

1″ piece of fresh ginger, finely grated

Toss to combine the rhubarb, sugar, lime zest and juice, and ginger in a large bowl. Cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight.

Add the rhubarb mixture along with any juices that have collected in the bowl to a medium pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the mixture has thickened and the rhubarb has begun to break down. It will thicken more as it cools. Feel free to puree the mixture with a hand-held stick blender if you’d prefer a smoother texture. Ladle into freshly boiled, sterile jars, and seal with lids and rings. Store in the refrigerator.

If you’d like the jam to keep longer, add the sealed jars to a pot of boiling water, cover, and let the jars pressure-boil for about 12 minutes.

haya June 21, 2011 at 7:39 am

i am totally making this sometime in the next month (after i move)! i have a freezer filled with rhubarb from jon’s parents’ farm (they brought us giant armfulls of the stuff right before i was about to embark on a month of travels, so we chopped it up and froze it for safekeeping).
rhubarb is so awesome. also, it is one of the easiest jams to make, i find.

Lauren at Keep It Sweet June 21, 2011 at 7:45 am

I kind of love anything that I can spread on a slice of bread with peanut butter. Gorgeous jam!

Laura June 21, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hi Andie, I just wanted to stop by and tell you how inspiring you are! I just started my blog, littlegirlbigtaste.com, yesterday and you were one of the amazing blogs that really inspired me to do it! Your recipes are amazing as are your stories and strength. I hope you get the chance to check out my blog! :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat June 21, 2011 at 10:25 am

Your love for jam resembles my love for rhubarb, so I’m sure we would love this recipe equally!

brandi June 21, 2011 at 10:43 am

ditto, ditto, ditto. same goes for homemade conserves, preserves, and butters. I cannot get enough!

Samantha @ Bikini Birthday June 21, 2011 at 10:50 am

Jam is the Jam, yo.

But seriously I really like Jam. I’m booking marking this in my jam folder (it exists, I promise).

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) June 21, 2011 at 11:02 am

For some reason, the idea of being able to make jam seems like such an incredible feat to me! Like that’s somehow one of those things that what would make me a legit cook haha, although you make it look pretty darn easy!

Kristie June 21, 2011 at 11:21 am

I also love jam but I love any kind of RHUBARB jam even more. Brings me right back to the early days, when we’d pick rhubarb fresh from the garden and cook it up with some sugar, keeping it in an empty margarine container in the fridge and eating it chilled on toast or just by the spoonful. Delicious.

Alexa @ Simple Eats June 21, 2011 at 12:03 pm

Looks amazing. I’ve never had rhubarb jam, but I bet it’s fantastic!

shannon June 21, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Random question…what is the striped textile used in your photos for this post? (Napkins, handtowels?) It would look great with my Fiestaware. :)

Shelley June 21, 2011 at 2:30 pm

this seems so easy and delicious- perfect for summer too

Lisa June 21, 2011 at 5:27 pm

I love jam too. And this looks amazing! I used to hate rhubarb when I was a kid, and now I just wonder what the heck was wrong with me!

Sarah G. June 21, 2011 at 5:38 pm

Looks awesome! One question: do you add the ginger with the other ingredients, or hold it out until later? Thanks!

admin June 21, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Hey Sarah! You add it with the other ingredients- rhubarb, lime, sugar and let it sit. Sorry for the confusing directions! I’ll edit :)

Sarah G. June 21, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Awesome! Thanks! (Also: love your blog!)

Kelly @foodiefresh July 5, 2011 at 1:45 pm

Andrea, how long do you think jam will keep if it’s not pressure-boiled?

Brook - Learn to Preserve July 8, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Andie. You amaze me again.

Did you know that people have asked me for that recipe and this was the one recipe I couldn’t find? You see, I gave away a few jars and some of the recipients wanted to know how to make it themselves. I always write down recipes and am pretty organized, but I guess in all the excitement that day….making pickled Fiddlehead Ferns, popping Champagne corks, trying to get things done so we could make it to the Dry Soda Truck Roll-out Party and then Taco Night at Sitka & Spruce….so much going on that I totally forgot about us making Rhubarb~Ginger~Lime Jam that day too!

It made my day to see you blogged about this. As always, lovely photo, beautiful prose. You’re my hero. Again.

B xoxo

Fern August 25, 2012 at 6:54 am

Hi there, you say 2.5 lbs rubarb – when chopped how many cups is that?? Bronging in from garden & no scale!! Really would love to make! Cheers Thanks for sharing!
Might of missed -didn’t read all poats – thanks again ;-)