When you have a Mexican fiesta and a slumber party

by Andie Mitchell on July 18, 2011

photo 1

The other night two of my best friends joined me for a Mexican fiesta meets late ‘80s slumber party. I couldn’t even dream of a more ‘propriate party union.

There was a taco bar and a toe or two painted.

Pillow fights and particularly unbecoming pajamas.

Catching up and cream pie slices the size of Seattle.

The Wedding Singer and The Breakfast Club and Gilmore Girls episodes at 3am.

Lime and guacamole and chipotle chiles. Fried tortilla triangles and salsa fresca.

My fancy schmancy menu:photo 2

Main Course:

Slow cooked chicken in a roasted tomato, chipotle, lime sauce
Garlic and lime spiked black beans
Saffron rice
Caramelized red onion
White corn tortillas, white flour tortillas

Topping bar: shredded iceberg lettuce, diced vine ripened tomatoes, guacamole, salsa verde, hot sauce, queso fresco

Dessert:

Camille’s berry pie :)

limes

Cocktail:

Freshly squeezed lime spritzers spiked with crisp Argentinian white wine

salsa_fresca

Appetizer:

Salted tortilla chips with a hint of pepperjack
Salsa fresca
Chunky guacamole

Salad:

Chopped baby green leaf lettuce with grape tomatoes simply dressed in a honey lime vinaigrette

tacos

daisies_and_peonies

Blushing peonies. *Hot pink and orange daisies.

*I did not eat much of these.

berry_cream_pie

Dessert:

Camille’s berry pie :)

The most delicious Mexican recipes coming each day this week!

What’s on your favorite Mexican dinner plate?

Raquel July 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Lovely pics! I love Mexican food and Guacamole is such a wonderful side dish! I bought yesterday whole wheat tortillas. Can´t wait to try them! And I always mix my guacamole´s ingredients with a fork never in the blender. LOVE IT.

Ashley C July 18, 2011 at 11:59 pm

I love that you watched Gilmore Girls and The Wedding Singer!

Sorry, blog stalking :P

Hayley @ Hayley Daily July 19, 2011 at 2:55 am

All of that food looks incredible!!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat July 19, 2011 at 4:58 am

Sounds like SUCH a fun night! My favourite Mexican dishes usually involve chicken, black beans, corn, and lots of salsa!

Krystina (Organically Me) July 19, 2011 at 5:26 am

Um, can I come over for a party? Please.

Evan July 19, 2011 at 5:34 am

How lovely! Seems like the full package – questionable pjs, Gilmore Girls, pillow fights, delicious food – you know how to slumberparty :)

My favorite Mexican food is, hands down, pork carnitas in corn tortillas with fresh, chunky salsa. Plus a margarita on the rocks to go with. When I visited California in January, I ate tacos for EVERY meal on my first day! I can’t get enough.

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy July 19, 2011 at 6:12 am

<3 the Wedding Singer. That Boy George gets me every time.
And my favorite Mexican food is hands-down enchiladas verdes, which I just made myself for the very first time and am now addicted.

Brooke @ Waiting to Rise July 19, 2011 at 6:37 am

When do I get an invite? I bet ya’ll had a blast! Such fun girl time! And yummy looking food…is that instagram? What a cool app!!!!

B

Johnny July 19, 2011 at 7:09 am

OK…so I’d never get invited…but the food sure looked good and I bet you had a blast! :) :(

Kristen @ Chocolate Covered Kristen July 19, 2011 at 7:29 am

Chips and salsa/guacamole with an ice cold margarita on the rocks (salted rim, of course) is my perfect summer treat. Love, love, love!

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) July 19, 2011 at 7:44 am

I love tacos and guacamole :) Mmmm I am thinking about doing a mexican night in our house sometime soon!

The Chocolate Covered Kitchen July 19, 2011 at 8:02 am

I have a rule I try to live by which is no Mexican food north of Houston, but that slow roasted chicken sounds like a rule breaker if ever there was one. Favorite Mexican fare: tortilla soup, fresh mangoes with chili and lime, anything with mole sauce, and spicy hot chocolate (with some peyote on the side). BTW, if you haven’t yet tried the homemade tortillas at Safeway or QFC, you must — you’ll never go back, higher price be damned.

Megan (Braise The Roof) July 19, 2011 at 8:57 am

BUT, I have to ask, did anyone stick anyone else’s hand in a cup of water while they were sleeping? Your menu sounds amazing- I need a good Mexican fiesta in my life!

Camille Willemain July 19, 2011 at 9:02 am

Andrea, you are simply the most amazing hostess and friend. The food was better than it looks and the activities more fabulous than they sound.

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite July 19, 2011 at 9:23 am

I want to eat all of this right now! Looks so fantastic! There is something so comforting about Mexican food!

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) July 19, 2011 at 10:57 am

That all looks scrumptious!! My favs are fajitas!

Are those pictures edited with Instagram- I adore that thing!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers July 19, 2011 at 11:03 am

That sounds like my kinda’ party! My favorite mexican plate depends on where I’m getting it. I prefer to cook enchiladas, but I never order them. I’ve got a pretty good burrito place up the street from me though, which can be dangerous.

Mike @ How To Make A Smoothie At Home July 19, 2011 at 11:28 am

Looks like great food & great fun. Looking forward to your recipes.

Tina @ Faith Fitness Fun July 19, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I want a slumber party!!! Why wasn’t I invited? ;)

Maria July 19, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Sounds like my kind of party! I watched The Wedding Singer the other night too, to celebrate being done with summer classes :D

Amy @ What Jew Wanna Eat July 19, 2011 at 1:09 pm

What a classy slumber party! My speed is more take-out stuffed crust wish freshly painted nails!

Parita July 19, 2011 at 1:47 pm

YUM! My favorite Mexican plate would include rice, beans, and cheese enchiladas – all covered in lots of sauce!

Lisa July 19, 2011 at 2:12 pm

It sounds like lots of fun and the food pictures are delicious. I love all Mexican food that I have tried. I haven’t tried goat or beef tongue and may not ever. I’m excited for the new recipes.

Alexa @ Simple Eats July 19, 2011 at 2:25 pm

I am so jealous of this slumber party…sounds awesome. My favorite mexican dish is definitely enchiladas or a stuffed tamale!

Ellen Renee July 19, 2011 at 3:59 pm

Looking forward to this series! Mexican food is one of my favorites.

Stephanie @cookinfanatic July 19, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Ummm I want an invite next time pleeeeease haha?!?! Everything looks more than delicious, can’t wait for the recipes, you know how much I love my Mexican food! :)

Melissa E July 19, 2011 at 7:58 pm

That looks like it was tons o’ delicious fun.

I need to get me some awesome best friends to do things like this with.

Melissa July 19, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Everything written on this page looks delicious. You really can’t go wrong with Mexican: chimichangas, enchiladas, mole…

Sidenote: This may be my first time commenting, but I’ve been engrossed with your blog for months. I’m tempted to start from the beginning, actually. Your personality shines through so well in your words, so well that I feel as if I know you! You’ve inspired me to eat well, and to live in the present each day. Though I’ll never be as good of a writer, I hope to love each day (and each meal) as much as you do.

I’m sure you’ve heard all of this before, but a little more praise can’t hurt, right? :)

Last thing – I hope you get the chance to come down to Portland (Oregon – my home base) at some point! There’s quite a few unique eateries that I’m sure you’d enjoy!

MelissaNibbles July 20, 2011 at 7:01 am

I wish I was invited :(

Leah @ Why Deprive? July 20, 2011 at 8:38 am

Sounds like a fabulous night, and all the food looks delicious. I cant wait for the recipes. :)