White’s Pastry Shop: Hingham, MA

by Andie Mitchell on August 14, 2011

whites_bakery_cake-04

Two Thursdays ago was perhaps the happiest day of my life.

Long story made mini, I signed a two book deal with Crown Publishing, a division of Random House.

I also squealed, cried, did a partial summersault, and told everyone at Starbucks that I loved them. whites_bakery_cake-03

My parents were over the moon

and I

I was seeing stars.

whites_bakery_cake-02

My mother, swallowing tears in gulps, said in her syrupy thick Boston accent,

“Luv Luvs, we gotta celebrate. I’m going to White’s.”

I smiled, my taste memory tingling at the thought of one thickly sliced wedge of my very favorite cake in the whole wide world from my very favorite bakery in the even wider world.

And with that, she hung up the phone, swiped DeeDee from her pug post beside the living room window, and my two best girls drove forty minutes downward to Hingham, Massachusetts. The engine of my mother’s Carolla, I imagine, ferociously purring at 34mph on route 128.

Days later and many conversations in between, I arrived home from an hours-long writing session at Starbucks, to find this box.

whites_bakery_cake-01

whites_bakery_cake-05

whites_bakery_cake-07

whites_bakery_cake-06

whites_bakery_cake-10

whites_bakery_cake-09

She mailed me all 10 inches of the world’s tenderest, oh oh oh, the most perfect double layer white cake with a layer of frosting so supremely generous that Santa Claus looks selfish.

whites_bakery_cake-12

I smiled.

whites_bakery_cake-13

I called her.

Mumma, wow.”

“Luv luvs, you got the cake?!”

DeeDee barked beside her.

“Mumma, I love it so much. I love it so, so much.”

“You see the bright colors of those mums I had them pipe on the top- beside “Congratulations Andrea!”? Aren’t they gorgeous?”

[She sent me a picture of the identical cake she bought my brother for his birthday last week.]

P1030922

whites_bakery_cake-14

“Ma, the whole thing- it’s incredible. The colors, the message, it all came out perfect…I mean, it got a little banged up on the cross country trip, but delicious just the same.”

“Oh no! Even after I wrapped it up tight? In the cake taker?”

“Yeah, it’s a little smooshed, but Mumma trust me, nothing-and I mean nothing- makes me happier than celebrating with this cake. Except if DeeDee were here and I could feed her a spoonful of frosting because you know how much she loves a good White’s cake.”

whites_bakery_cake-16

“Oh good, sweetheart. Well you enjoy that cake. I know how much you love it. No one would appreciate it more. No one.”

whites_bakery_cake-18

whites_bakery_cake-17

I called her again after my second scoop of cake and frosting mash, and told her that this, this very cake, was making me the happiest girl in the world.

whites_bakery_cake-19

I called her again when I finished licking all of that fluffy, billowy white frosting from the edges of the cake box.

Told her that I loved her.

Then I whispered I loved her once more.

And again, just in case.

whites_bakery_cake-20

Hannah August 14, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I…would be completely happy with that mash of cake, it looks and sounds delicious.

I’m so hungry now haha

Johnny August 15, 2011 at 2:08 am

You gotta love your Mom! She seems like a peach! I bet the cake was fantastic. :)

Congratulations by the way!!!!

MelissaNibbles August 15, 2011 at 2:20 am

Your mom is a sweetie!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet August 15, 2011 at 3:33 am

Sometimes smooshed cake is better than perfect looking cake:-) So sweet of your mom!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness August 15, 2011 at 4:04 am

Awwww…. that’s adorable!!! My mom always calls me when she ships sugar cookies and asks if they all made it without breaking into pieces. It’s of highest concern, ya know. :)

Sophie August 15, 2011 at 5:18 am

Aw that is so sweet, I bet it still tasted amazing!
Your mum sounds lovely :-)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat August 15, 2011 at 5:31 am

This made me “awwww” out loud!!! SO cute! Your mom is such a sweetie, and I bet it was delicious!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy August 15, 2011 at 5:38 am

I feel like your mom is probably hilarious and could in fact, have her own reality show.

Katie August 15, 2011 at 5:43 am

White’s is a BIG must-have for my boyfriend as well! We live approximately 2 minutes from the glorious place, so if there’s ever ANYTHING that calls for a celebration, we make a stop at White’s. The first time his nephew made a visit to town, he received a lovely white and blue “Welcome to Scituate, Baby Colin!” cake. Delish indeed :)

maura August 15, 2011 at 5:44 am

What a sweetheart. I’m actually from Hingham, MA so I too share your obsession with White’s Bakery. It’s out.of.this.world. Congrats again!

tj August 15, 2011 at 6:16 am

I knew this day would come. Super congrats on your MULTI-book deal. Looking forward to my signed copy;)
On a serious note, if the publisher would like any testimonials from/about you and your blog, I would be honored to write one for you.
I am so happy for you girl. Keep being amazing!
TJ

Riss August 15, 2011 at 7:11 am

This is quite possibly the sweetest mess I’ve ever seen — literally. I know you enjoyed every sugary, creamy morsel. Congratulations, once again!

Emma @ La Vie en Ginger August 15, 2011 at 7:20 am

Salivating over that smashed-up cake and tearing up over your sweet mom anecdote. Basically, leaking from every orifice on my face. All before 9:30am. Winner!

Lauren August 15, 2011 at 7:47 am

Oh so exciting, and isn’t your mom the sweetest ever? Congrats again…TWO book deal!! YAY!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca August 15, 2011 at 8:14 am

This made me tear up! What a sweet Mom you have. Congratulations!! So, so happy for you.

Ames August 15, 2011 at 8:15 am

Congrats on the book deal! That is so AWESOME!!! Super sweet of your mama to send the cake and as always enjoyed the story. I don’t see anything wrong with some delish cake…even if it’s a lil banged up… okay!?! ;) ha

Claire @ Live and Love to Eat August 15, 2011 at 8:35 am

That’s pretty much my dream cake. Congrats on the book deal, you deserve it – can I advance order a copy now? ;)

Jane in NC August 15, 2011 at 8:41 am

I am thrilled to hear of your book deals! I just found you by way of my daughter and spent several hours reading your stories. Love your humor, love the way you perfectly describe weight and issues and insecurities and that you found how to overcome it all by allowing yourself to be yourself. I have been drawing inspiration from it since the moment I read it so thank you.

I love your Mom for sending you the cake and you for loving it just the way it arrived. Best wishes to you for what I know is a very bright future and I look forward to your first book!

Claire August 15, 2011 at 8:43 am

Oh, my heart :)

Your mom must be one exquisite lady.

Lizzy August 15, 2011 at 9:10 am

This totally made me smile!

Congrats on your book deal. And I will check out this pastry shop next time I’m on the south shore : )

Liz Vadset-Olver August 15, 2011 at 9:37 am

I am so happy to hear about your book deal, congratulations!! And I know that cake tasted delicious no matter how it arrived, because it came from your mom’s heart. <3

Leanne (Bride to Mrs.) August 15, 2011 at 9:46 am

Your mom is so sweet.

& you deserve every last bit of it.

That cake looks to die for. Please send me one :D

M.J. Jacobsen August 15, 2011 at 11:18 am

Big congrats on your multi book deal from one of your biggest fans!!! :)
Such a sweet mama you have, that cake looks fantastic even kinda smooshed!!

Krystina (Organically Me) August 15, 2011 at 11:59 am

Your mother seems like the most adorable woman.

Question – were you approached by Crown Publishing or did you write a book proposal first? I really want to begin the book writing process but I’m at a loss.

Megan (Braise The Roof) August 15, 2011 at 12:30 pm

That is amazing. My birthday is next week and I told my mom that I didn’t need a birthday cake- she’s pretty upset about it. Moms love giving their children cake, don’t they? :)

Tamar August 15, 2011 at 1:07 pm

So sweet! I love your mother! (I hope she doesn’t read your blog…)

Maryellen Mitchell August 15, 2011 at 1:38 pm

Hi honey,

I am so sorry for the way that cake came to you, it was so beautiful (just like you!!!) when I bought it. I think the post office threw it extra hard on my account. As soon as I figure out how to send it intact, I will along with two loaves of cinnamon bread from Blue Moon Bagel.
Love,
Ma

Sheri Wetherell August 15, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Your mom is simply precious. And, she’s lucky to have a daughter like you.

Txtingmrdarcy August 15, 2011 at 2:06 pm

First, Congratulations!!!
Secondly, your relationship with your mom never fails to make me smile. (Ok, and tear up a little. I ADMIT IT) My Mom and I are very similar, but fortunately only 6 miles apart. Oh, and we’re also originally from Rhode Island. That accent is music to my ears.

Jen August 15, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Congrats on the book deal. So proud of you. Your mom sounds simply wonderful too. I bet the cake was delish and I have a feeling that your mom will figure out a way to send a cake intact with some cinnamon bread.

Alexa @ Simple Eats August 15, 2011 at 2:40 pm

This is such a sweet post. I’m going to have to head over to Hingham very soon and pick up some goodies! Congrats again, on the book deal :)

Beverly {Flamingo Toes} August 15, 2011 at 4:31 pm

Congrats on the book deal!! I’m so thrilled for you and I’ll be first in line to buy when it’s finished!
And how sweet is your mom. I love that she mailed you a whole cake to celebrate!!

Kristen, Sweetly August 15, 2011 at 5:31 pm

congratulations again! it’s still such wonderful, exciting news. do you have both books planned, or are you letting it develop from one to the other?

that cake does look perfect just the way it is. i’m making my way through my first big thunderstorm by myself in my apartment, and was just looking around for things that made it feel cozy and like home. :-) i went for my mala and my favorite blanket. some perfect bakery cake would’ve been slightly better.

Caryn August 15, 2011 at 7:50 pm

TWO books?!?! I literally can’t wait.

Kayte August 15, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Amazing post! Totally had me choking back the tears over the relationship you have with your Mom. Congrats on the success! Can’t wait to hear more about the books.

Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time August 15, 2011 at 9:56 pm

Oh my gosh!! I know I could never even come close to amount of excitement you’re feeling right now, but I’m OVER THE MOON about your book deal! You’re my favorite blogger/blog by FAR and now there’s going to be book(s)???? Wow. My life just got awesome. Please keep us updated!

Mary @ fervent foodie August 16, 2011 at 4:36 am

Awwwww moms are the best! What a perfect gift to send you to celebrate! So excited for you!

Carole August 16, 2011 at 6:55 am

And you are the sweetest daughter.

Huge congrats on the double-dip book deal.

Melissa August 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

I love your mama, too. Love love love. Isn’t it amazing that someone can love you enough to send a cake across the country because it’s the way you celebrate? And from anyone else it wouldn’t be quite the same but from your mom it’s just that much better? Love.

Melissa E August 16, 2011 at 12:11 pm

That was the best reveal ever.

KJ August 16, 2011 at 2:23 pm

I literally just cried reading this. Bc of the whole thing, not the destroyed cake ;)

Patricia August 16, 2011 at 2:39 pm

Oh Andi, I knew you’d have your name on a book cover!! I can say I ‘knew’ you when… congratulations, and I can’t wait to buy your book! And this post brought tears to my eyes. You are a beautiful daughter. Beautiful.

Tricia @ {every}nothing wonderful August 17, 2011 at 12:46 pm

So misty eyed. Congratulations…and that cake is the most touching thing ever!

Nicole August 18, 2011 at 4:43 pm

Jumping… Squealing… Dancing… CELEBRATING! I KNEW you would get a book deal! I KNEW it! I am SO excited for you and I can’t wait until it’s officially published and I can go pick up my very own copy!!!!!

Nicole August 20, 2011 at 7:51 am

Love love that place! My family gets all of our cakes from there!

Jennifer October 21, 2011 at 2:57 am

What a lovely moment. Congratulations on the book deal and to having an amazing Mom!

Tara Walker October 21, 2011 at 7:48 pm

LOVE that your mother sent a cake cross country!!! AWESOME! I am not a cake person, but that looks fab!
Congrats on the book – can’t wait to read it!

Le Anne October 25, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Your book will be a smashing success just like your cake! Thanks for every beautiful blog!

Meg January 8, 2012 at 10:26 am

fellow foodie here! lived in MA my whole life, on the South Shore…White’s is the go to if you are looking for some kind of delectable baked goodie!

btw, love your blog to pieces, have made a number of your recipes and been very pleased!!! Congrats on the book!!!

Diane K January 17, 2012 at 6:35 pm

Wow…this reminds me of my grandmother. My mothers first birthday away from home my grandmother sent Mom a birthday cake….and when it got to Mom the cake was of course mashed to pieces. But my grandmother always put money inside birthday cakes and as it happened mom didn’t have any change from the bus to get to her classes so she had to pick through the pile of bithday cake in order to get the money she needed for the bus!

Vietnam tours August 31, 2014 at 7:07 pm

I am not positive the place you are getting your information, however good topic.

I must spend a while learning much more or working out more.
Thanks for wonderful info I was searching for this info for my mission.