Sauteed Zucchini and Summer Squash with Herbs and Crispy Garlic

by Andie Mitchell on August 23, 2011

zucchini_summer_squash-5

Look

I don’t really know that this merits a recipe,

so maybe a whole post is verging on pretentious here.

But I know that if you found a favorite way to flavor and sear the last of your summer vegetables,

and you didn’t tell me right away,

I’d be three rosy shades of angry.

zucchini_summer_squash-4

So just in case you’re in need of a way to sexy up your summer squash, to zazzle your zucchini,

I’m here.

This simple saute is heady with garlic, rich with olive oil, and so far-away-fancy with herbs de Provence. zucchini_summer_squash-3

Sauteed Zucchini and Summer Squash with Herbs and Crispy Garlic

• 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 2 teaspoons dried herbs de Provence (a commercially sold blend of savory, fennel, basil, thyme, lavender flowers and sometimes other herbs)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 zucchini, sliced thinly on the diagonal
  • 1 summer squash, sliced thinly on the diagonal
  1. Add the olive oil to a large fry pan set over medium heat. Stir in the herbs and garlic and let the mixture slowly heat through. The garlic and herbs will infuse their flavors into the oil.
  2. After two minutes, stirring occasionally, the garlic should be fragrant and beginning to tan. Add the zucchini and summer squash to the oil and saute for about 5 minutes. Stir frequently so that the vegetables do not burn. They should be softened but beginning to brown on their cut sides. Serve zucchini and summer squash slices with the crispy garlic and herbs immediately.

Nelly Rodriguez August 23, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Sure, you might think it’s not worthy of a recipe, but I love reading you soo, keep sharing your “non-recipes!”…Plus, it’s fun to see how others make the same veggies!

Johnny August 24, 2011 at 2:48 am

That sounds great to me! Sometimes it’s the simple recipes that make the biggest hit. And there is nothing better than sauteed summer squash and zucchini! My wife does one with adding sweet onions and then stuffing the whole bunch into a portobela mushroom and sprinkling on some grated parm.,pop it in the oven to melt the cheese and oh man that’s good! :)

Love your work!!

Heather (Heather's Dish) August 24, 2011 at 4:53 am

totally counts as a recipe to me especially if it includes crispy garlic!

Sarah@The Flying ONION August 24, 2011 at 5:08 am

I am in love with this recipe.

I have an overabundance of all things summer squash and zucchini, so this is perfect. Perfect recipe, perfect timing. Just perfect. :D

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh August 24, 2011 at 6:53 am

I’m a wuss, I’ve always been afraid of Herbs de Provence. I’m not a fennel fan, is it overpowering in the mix or blend in pretty nicely?

brandi August 24, 2011 at 7:06 am

I LOVE herbs de provence. so fancy with the lavender :)

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray August 24, 2011 at 7:33 am

Looks great! Love the idea of crispy garlic with this!

Jen @ keepitsimplefoods August 24, 2011 at 8:11 am

OMG, I love making squash and zuc this way! So good. Love H de P, my jamz. ;)

ASuburbanLife August 24, 2011 at 10:34 am

I thought zucchini was summer squash!

Gina August 24, 2011 at 12:51 pm

Amazing timing! My kitchen counter is decorated with several yellow summer squash I just pulled from our garden yesterday. And, I actually had a spice jar of herbs de Provence (I had only used it once before in a not-so-successful recipe).

Anyway, I used your recipe for lunch today. YUM. Even my hubby liked it. I had it along side ravioli. Being the onion lover that I am, I’m going to add some layers of that next time. And I may even add the zucchini. Maybe.

Thanks!

Online Sunshine August 24, 2011 at 4:12 pm

I decided long ago that lavender is not a food…it’s a fragrance. But that’s just me.

That being said, I love zucchini and summer squash.

I even bought one of those crinkled knives so, when I cut them up, they have those fancy waves to them. :)

My favorite thing to do with them is to saute them in some olive oil (or butter) and sprinkle them with salt, pepper, italian seasonings, throw in a tablespoon of cooking sherry, and then sprinkle a little parmesan cheese on them at the end. Oh so tasty!

Ellen Renee August 24, 2011 at 4:30 pm

A lot of times the recipes that bloggers feel aren’t post worthy end up being my favorites. I always wonder about everyone swooning over zuchini and squash – I can’t get into it – seems so wet and mushy. I will try it your way – maybe this is the one!

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn August 25, 2011 at 4:10 am

Nope, I disagree, definitely deserves a recipe!
I love love LOVE zucchini so this is like my ideal summer veggie recipe :-).
And, as always, your photos are beautiful.

Meg August 25, 2011 at 9:51 am

Ok, I’ll be honest. I can’t eat cooked summer squashes–it’s a texture thing. But give me a big zucchini (the ones my husband refers to as “homewreckers”) and a vegetable peeler and I will shave a plateful of raw zucchini “noodles”, drizzle it in homemade peanut sauce, and slurp it up faster than you can say Hoover. A-mazing.