Tried and True Tender Cornbread

cornbread-5

Remember that slow cooked sweet potato chili?

chili-5

Goodness, I hope so.

cornbread-2

Well,

bake this yellow number to go alongside it.

cornbread-4

Salty winking at sweet.

Nooked, crannied, and unabashedly crumbly.

cornbread-7

She’s buttery all on her own, but trust me,

even lovelier glazed with honey.

chili-1

Tried and True Tender Cornbread

• 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup butter (½ stick), melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, and buttermilk until well blended. Pour this mixture into dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined.
  3. Generously grease an 8” baking pan. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.

Comments

1. Marissa says

Deeelicious! I will be trying this one tonight :)

On a different note, I’ve read before that you don’t exercise, but walk a lot. This is what I do, but I can’t stop feeling guilty for not exercising. You see, exercise brings back a lot of bad memories from my days of ED when it would be used as a punishment and I honestly can’t say that I could go back to it without it making me feel like I was punishing myself. I do, however, walk loads (I’m at university and my campus is spread throughout the city s we walk everywhere) and take hikes and do other fun things that are active.

But I still feel guilty… especially when ALL my friends exercise. And everyone in blog world exercises. And maybe I should too?

Idk, how do you deal with this?

• Marissa says

Thanks Maryea!
        Deep down I guess I know it should be enough, I just sometimes start doubting myself because everyone seems to think exercising is necessary to stay balanced and in health… and even people I talk to who DONT exercise always complain about how they should.
        But I guess everyone has different ways of balancing their lives- At the moment, as I said, I do walk absolutely everywhere, I mean I can’t even remember the last time I was in a car/taxi bus/train etc.

2. johnny says

Cornbread is my absolute favorite go with anything dish! You’re right it would be perfect with your chili.

3. Courtney says

I’ll have to try this; I am always on a quest for the best cornbread. Right now the household favorite is Dorie Greenspan’s corn muffins. They include a cup of corn kernels in the batter and it gives a nice texture to the bread. I highly recommend it!

4. says

Cornbread is the ultimate comfort food for me. I cannot have chili without it, or I feel like something’s missing! Can’t wait to try your version. We’re having a bit of an Indian summer in Michigan, and while I can’t complain, it’s not exactly soup weather! 😉

5. says

The texture of your cornbread looks absolutely perfect. I’m going to have to try your recipe as cornbread is one of my favorite things in the world, but I have yet to perfect it. I like the sound of “tried and true”.

6. says

Okay seriously, this is the 6th time in 2 weeks I’ve thought I something I want to make and a blogger posts a recipe for it! I literally have cornmeal beside me on the couch!

Is there a hidden camera in here!?!

*looks around in a paranoid sweat*

I’ll report back as we’re having chili tonight and I wanted cornbread to go with it! Thank you for reading my mind! :)

7. says

Guess what I’m having for dinner next week, when I get back from vacation? Cornbread and slow-cooked chili. And I am SO excited about it! :)

8. says

This is incredibly helpful because last time I made cornbread, my boyfriend said he was afraid he’d crack a tooth on it. This one looks like it might meet his standards. I’ll try it out with some chili.

9. LMF says

In some weird fate-like way I saw this recipe, loved it AND had all the ingredients on hand ( this never happens). I made this last night and it was perfect. Not like “Mmmmm this is really good” but like ” oh my gosh, get in my mouth now”. Having a slice with honey and a cuppa tea this morning. Thank you for the great post!

10. Katie G says

I am literally making this cornbread RIGHT NOW. The oven is preheating and it’s waiting to go in. The sweet potato chili is in the crockpot bubbling away as I type this. Thanks for making my house smell absolutely divine on this gloomy, windy Saturday!

• Katie G says

I’m reporting back at your request, Andie. Both the cornbread and the sweet potato chili came out AWESOME. It made a ton of food, too. The sweet potato absorbed so much of the chili flavor that it didn’t stand out as much as I was hoping it would, but it was still insanely delicious and I will make this over and over again from here on out. The chili came out to be exactly 12 cups (which to me is a lot), which pleased me to no end because I am following Weight Watchers and made this easier to break down and record. For the record, 2 cups = 7 points. Not bad at all! And also for the record, I’m down 68.8 pounds. Booya!

I’ve never made cornbread before (although I’ve eaten it plenty of times before) and this came out great. It was so easy, I couldn’t believe it. It was moist but still nice and crumbly. It was a fantastic dipper. I cut mine into 16 squares. 1 square = 3 pts. We are talking one super satisfying and low point meal here.

Viva la chili and and cornbread!

11. La says

I can’t get my hands on buttermilk, should I try the milk and lemon juice substitute? Do you think it will come out the same?
    Thanks! Can’t wait to try it!

12. says

thanks so much for this excellent recipe. i made a gluten free/diary free version: i substituted the flour with almond flour and used 1 cup of homemade almond milk instead of buttermilk, and 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil instead of butter. baked it for 15 minutes and it came out perfectly!

13. Seavee says

Great recipe. I would add one thing. Add a thin layer of oil to the cast iron pan. Put it in the oven while it heats. When it is hot, pour the batter into the pan. Then put it intro the oven to bake for the regular time. You will get the most delicious crust ever and the bread will be even better than before.

14. Christina says

Oh, this is super yummy. I had this with the crockpot sweet potato chili, subbing 8 oz tempeh for the beef (I’m vegetarian). It was a winner of a dinner :)

15. Nicole says

Having chili with this tonite, looks great! However note to self: I melted the butter and whisked the eggs into the small bowl. Then I took out the buttermilk, which was COLD from the fridge and added it in, creating LUMPS. Totally forgot to have it room temp. So thankfully sticking it in the microwave for 10 seconds worked :)

Trackbacks