Tried and True Tender Cornbread

by Andie Mitchell on October 4, 2011

cornbread-5

Remember that slow cooked sweet potato chili?

chili-5

Goodness, I hope so.

cornbread-2

Well,

bake this yellow number to go alongside it.

cornbread-4

Salty winking at sweet.

Nooked, crannied, and unabashedly crumbly.

cornbread-7

She’s buttery all on her own, but trust me,

even lovelier glazed with honey.

chili-1

Tried and True Tender Cornbread

• 1 cup cornmeal
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt
  • ¼ cup butter (½ stick), melted
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Whisk cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in a large bowl.
  2. In a small bowl, whisk the butter, eggs, and buttermilk until well blended. Pour this mixture into dry ingredients and gently stir until just combined.
  3. Generously grease an 8” baking pan. Pour batter into prepared pan and bake for 22-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.

Marissa October 4, 2011 at 11:17 pm

Deeelicious! I will be trying this one tonight :)

On a different note, I’ve read before that you don’t exercise, but walk a lot. This is what I do, but I can’t stop feeling guilty for not exercising. You see, exercise brings back a lot of bad memories from my days of ED when it would be used as a punishment and I honestly can’t say that I could go back to it without it making me feel like I was punishing myself. I do, however, walk loads (I’m at university and my campus is spread throughout the city s we walk everywhere) and take hikes and do other fun things that are active.

But I still feel guilty… especially when ALL my friends exercise. And everyone in blog world exercises. And maybe I should too?

Idk, how do you deal with this?

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 5, 2011 at 4:37 am

You didn’t ask me, but walking IS exercising. It’s one of the best forms of it, actually! Don’t feel guilty for not running marathons or spending hours at the gym. Your joints will thank you later in life. :-)

Marissa October 5, 2011 at 7:33 am

Thanks Maryea!
Deep down I guess I know it should be enough, I just sometimes start doubting myself because everyone seems to think exercising is necessary to stay balanced and in health… and even people I talk to who DONT exercise always complain about how they should.
But I guess everyone has different ways of balancing their lives- At the moment, as I said, I do walk absolutely everywhere, I mean I can’t even remember the last time I was in a car/taxi bus/train etc.

johnny October 5, 2011 at 2:56 am

Cornbread is my absolute favorite go with anything dish! You’re right it would be perfect with your chili.

Courtney October 5, 2011 at 3:13 am

I’ll have to try this; I am always on a quest for the best cornbread. Right now the household favorite is Dorie Greenspan’s corn muffins. They include a cup of corn kernels in the batter and it gives a nice texture to the bread. I highly recommend it!

Lauren at Keep It Sweet October 5, 2011 at 3:14 am

Whenever I try to eat chili without cornbread I feel like something is missing. This would be a great fix:-)

Melissa October 5, 2011 at 4:01 am

Cornbread is the ultimate comfort food for me. I cannot have chili without it, or I feel like something’s missing! Can’t wait to try your version. We’re having a bit of an Indian summer in Michigan, and while I can’t complain, it’s not exactly soup weather! ;)

Maryea {Happy Healthy Mama} October 5, 2011 at 4:38 am

The texture of your cornbread looks absolutely perfect. I’m going to have to try your recipe as cornbread is one of my favorite things in the world, but I have yet to perfect it. I like the sound of “tried and true”.

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 5, 2011 at 4:59 am

cornbread and honey butter – doesn’t get any better than that!

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat October 5, 2011 at 5:11 am

Beautiful! I can’t believe I waited about 20 years of my life to have my first cornbread experienced. It didn’t look nearly as nice as yours, but I still loved it. And with that chili… match made in heaven!

Rachel @ Not Rachael Ray October 5, 2011 at 5:31 am

I love cornbread, especially with chili. This version looks delicious!

Erin October 5, 2011 at 6:18 am

If that is as moist and dense as it looks it’s the perfect cornbread for me!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 5, 2011 at 6:37 am

Okay seriously, this is the 6th time in 2 weeks I’ve thought I something I want to make and a blogger posts a recipe for it! I literally have cornmeal beside me on the couch!

Is there a hidden camera in here!?!

*looks around in a paranoid sweat*

I’ll report back as we’re having chili tonight and I wanted cornbread to go with it! Thank you for reading my mind! :)

Joelle (On A Pink Typewriter) October 5, 2011 at 7:09 am

I plan on making a stew this wkend, so this will be perfect! And i even have leftover buttermilk in the fridge from a cake I made last wk, so it’s meant to be, clearly. ;-)

Cat October 5, 2011 at 7:31 am

Looks so good! I have been looking for a good cornbread recipe!

Nicole October 5, 2011 at 7:37 am

Guess what I’m having for dinner next week, when I get back from vacation? Cornbread and slow-cooked chili. And I am SO excited about it! :)

Leah @ Why Deprive? October 5, 2011 at 8:39 am

Im so glad you posted this – I’ve been trying a bunch of cornbread recipes and Im still looking for the perfect one.

jordan @ thedancingdonut October 5, 2011 at 9:20 am

well since your description is pretty irresistible, and i have an unwavering love for conrbread, i’ll be making this asap for sure. thanks for sharing :)

Karen @ The Tamale Girl October 5, 2011 at 9:38 am

This is incredibly helpful because last time I made cornbread, my boyfriend said he was afraid he’d crack a tooth on it. This one looks like it might meet his standards. I’ll try it out with some chili.

Megan (Braise The Roof) October 5, 2011 at 11:56 am

I was hoping you would post this recipe after the chili. :) It looks so freakin’ good. Come to Chicago and feed it to me?

Carissa October 5, 2011 at 11:57 am

The crumb in your corn bread looks just perfect. Can’t wait to try it!

Michelle October 5, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Looks perfect!

About how many servings does this recipe make?

LMF October 6, 2011 at 7:09 am

In some weird fate-like way I saw this recipe, loved it AND had all the ingredients on hand ( this never happens). I made this last night and it was perfect. Not like “Mmmmm this is really good” but like ” oh my gosh, get in my mouth now”. Having a slice with honey and a cuppa tea this morning. Thank you for the great post!

Ja'Nelle October 6, 2011 at 2:13 pm

I need this now! Please and thank you.

Carroll @ Vanilla Lemonade October 7, 2011 at 7:02 pm

ahhhh..looks like it will melt inmy mouth. Chili and Corn Bread Sunday!

Katie G October 8, 2011 at 2:16 pm

I am literally making this cornbread RIGHT NOW. The oven is preheating and it’s waiting to go in. The sweet potato chili is in the crockpot bubbling away as I type this. Thanks for making my house smell absolutely divine on this gloomy, windy Saturday!

Katie G October 11, 2011 at 7:12 am

I’m reporting back at your request, Andie. Both the cornbread and the sweet potato chili came out AWESOME. It made a ton of food, too. The sweet potato absorbed so much of the chili flavor that it didn’t stand out as much as I was hoping it would, but it was still insanely delicious and I will make this over and over again from here on out. The chili came out to be exactly 12 cups (which to me is a lot), which pleased me to no end because I am following Weight Watchers and made this easier to break down and record. For the record, 2 cups = 7 points. Not bad at all! And also for the record, I’m down 68.8 pounds. Booya!

I’ve never made cornbread before (although I’ve eaten it plenty of times before) and this came out great. It was so easy, I couldn’t believe it. It was moist but still nice and crumbly. It was a fantastic dipper. I cut mine into 16 squares. 1 square = 3 pts. We are talking one super satisfying and low point meal here.

Viva la chili and and cornbread!

Sara October 15, 2011 at 5:02 pm

Andie this chili and cornbread was AMAZING! The smoked paprika and cumin were so good with the sweet potatoes.

La October 17, 2011 at 10:36 pm

I can’t get my hands on buttermilk, should I try the milk and lemon juice substitute? Do you think it will come out the same?
Thanks! Can’t wait to try it!

Christina October 1, 2012 at 3:47 pm

I did it with unsweetened plain soy milk and lemon because it was what I had on hand. It came out great!

Misty October 19, 2011 at 6:45 pm

I will definitely give this a whirl. I’ve been searching for the perfect cornbread my entire married life!

Food Lover November 3, 2011 at 3:52 pm

It looks so tender indeed, and so delicious too, thanks for sharing :)

cate June 18, 2012 at 3:05 am

thanks so much for this excellent recipe. i made a gluten free/diary free version: i substituted the flour with almond flour and used 1 cup of homemade almond milk instead of buttermilk, and 1/3 cup of melted coconut oil instead of butter. baked it for 15 minutes and it came out perfectly!

Seavee July 25, 2012 at 9:01 pm

Great recipe. I would add one thing. Add a thin layer of oil to the cast iron pan. Put it in the oven while it heats. When it is hot, pour the batter into the pan. Then put it intro the oven to bake for the regular time. You will get the most delicious crust ever and the bread will be even better than before.

Helen B. @ Blue Eyed Beauty Blog September 24, 2012 at 4:46 pm

I am trying this recipe tonight! Of course I had to make a few small changes since I’m cooking for a lot more people than the original recipe would feed but I can tell it will be great!

Helen
Blue Eyed Beauty Blog

Christina October 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

Oh, this is super yummy. I had this with the crockpot sweet potato chili, subbing 8 oz tempeh for the beef (I’m vegetarian). It was a winner of a dinner :)

Dawn October 22, 2012 at 6:42 pm

This is the best cornbread I’ve made, turns out great everytime!

Stephanie November 26, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Just made this cornbread and it’s awesome! I couldn’t quit eating it! :)

Nicole November 28, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Having chili with this tonite, looks great! However note to self: I melted the butter and whisked the eggs into the small bowl. Then I took out the buttermilk, which was COLD from the fridge and added it in, creating LUMPS. Totally forgot to have it room temp. So thankfully sticking it in the microwave for 10 seconds worked :)

Mik January 6, 2013 at 7:54 am

Hi guys do we know the calorie content of this corn bread is?
Thanks xx

Pauline May 20, 2013 at 10:57 am

If there is any cornbread left after dinner I like it for breakfast with strawberry jam…

Louis July 5, 2013 at 11:53 pm

With cornbread and a smile like yours Andie… I’d stay for dinner :-)