Even broccoli knows.
Metropolitan Market, the grocery shop just up the block from my homestead, turned me on to this tangy-sweet mixture. I was instantly smitten.
In fact, for a whole day and a half (just shy of 33 hours), I resisted roasting and overtly salting my broccoli as I usually do. Instead, I slathered florets in a creamy homemade dressing, let the flavors blend for more hours than I possessed patience, and then smiled my way through dinner.
The cashews add a warm richness while the raisins, well, you know as well as I do how sweet they can be.
Try it; I think you’ll be happy you did.
Broccoli Salad with Cashews, Raisins, and Red Onion
- 3 crowns fresh broccoli, cut into small, bite-sized florets
- 1/2 medium red onion, finely diced
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup cashews, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt (preferably low or full fat)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Toss broccoli, onion, raisins, and cashews in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, salt, and vinegar in a small bowl. Pour over broccoli and mix well to combine. Cover and chill the salad for at least 3 hours before eating.
Makes an absolute boatload.