Better than Bottled Barbecue Sauce

by Andie Mitchell on October 18, 2011

roasted_chicken-09

First,

hey, it’s chicken.

roasted_chicken-08

Second, when I was jonesing for something to get this chicken good and saucy, I went straight to Gina and Pat Neely. That pair knows a thing or two about

1. Being sweetly in love.

2. Frying.

3. Barbecue.

roasted_chicken-11

Tangy and sweet yet smoky with a kick of heat from cayenne. Simple enough to brush on just about anything, and not exclusively meat.

I’m considering using it as my dip of choice for crudite and French fries.

roasted_chicken-04

Homemade Barbecue Sauce

adapted from The Neely’s, Food Network

• 1 cup ketchup
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
  • 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar (light or dark)
  • 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
  • 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground mustard

Combine all ingredients in a small pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, for 1 hour.

Vanessa @ Swift as Shadows October 18, 2011 at 11:12 pm

I’m a sucker for BBQ sauce, especially on pulled pork or chicken. It’s equally as nice squished between toasted bread and jack cheese. I hate how most store-bought kinds are made with high fructose corn syrup, so i have a feeling this (surprisingly simple!) recipe may become a staple over here. Thanks for sharing!

Krystina (Organically Me) October 18, 2011 at 11:18 pm

I used to be a BBQ sauce fanatic, but seem to have lost my taste for it unless I’m really in the mood. But still, nothing compares to homemade BBQ sauce. Bottled doesn’t cut it.

danielle October 19, 2011 at 12:38 am

I am a huge BBQ fan!!!

johnny October 19, 2011 at 3:10 am

Love the Neelys! That BBQ sauce looks amazing, you can almost taste it looking at it! :)

Amy October 19, 2011 at 3:19 am

Just in time for bbq season here in Australia – I’m thinking chicken or pork for my beloved omnivores and brushed on thick delicious eggplant slices for me :) Thanks for sharing!

Erika - The Teenage Taste October 19, 2011 at 4:17 am

I love BBQ sauce! I slather it on everything!

Stephanie @cookinfanatic October 19, 2011 at 4:48 am

Homemade bbq sauce is the bestttt! Yumm, this one looks great!

Heather (Heather's Dish) October 19, 2011 at 5:09 am

i use the neely’s bbq sauce recipe all the time…it really is better than bottled!

Kelly @ Free Spirit Food October 19, 2011 at 5:43 am

I love homemade BBQ sauce… so good…

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh October 19, 2011 at 5:52 am

Okay so I’m not a vinegar fan at all, is it required for this for balance or could I cut it in half?

Sophie @ LoveLiveAndLearn October 19, 2011 at 10:49 am

Mmm this looks really tasty, my boyfriend loves barbecue sauce so I might just bookmark this to make for him sometime! Thank you :-)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic October 19, 2011 at 11:05 am

I love the Neely’s. I went to their new BBQ place in New York recently and was in barbecue heaven!

Andrea October 19, 2011 at 11:08 am

Paprika- I’ve seen recipes call for sweet, smoked, and simply “paprika.” Is there a difference? And will the difference be noticeable if I don’t use the one the recipe calls for?

Brooke @ Waiting to Rise October 19, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Love me some Neelys! They are so great…and such a loving couple! Their BBQ spaghetti is to die for! So delish! Their cookbook is one of mine and my honey’s fave’s =)

Ruthiey October 19, 2011 at 1:02 pm

Amen about the Neely’s! :)

I just found your blog and I love it. I’ve been rereading all the archives. :)

Stephanie October 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

That chicken looks SO good! Love homemade bbq!

Nicole October 19, 2011 at 2:43 pm

I cannot wait to try this!!

Natalie October 19, 2011 at 7:39 pm

So glad I cam across you via pinterest!! We were both added to someone’s list of favorite blogs! Following you now..and wanting to share about you on my blog!

Sarah@The Flying ONION October 20, 2011 at 5:53 am

I’m ashamed to admit it, but I almost always purchase a bottle of bbq sauce. Who knew it could be so easy to whip a homemade version together? I’m making this the next time around. :D

Maya October 20, 2011 at 8:04 am

Yum! This looks awesome. I just discovered your blog and I love it :)

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake October 20, 2011 at 11:05 pm

I’m a huge fan of this sauce! So delish!! And, so much better than store bought!

Nikki October 21, 2011 at 9:29 am

I feel like homemade bbq sauce is a million times better than when you just buy it in a bottle. This looks so awesome!