Celebrity Silhouette Cruise Day 2

by Andie Mitchell on November 7, 2011

celebritycruise-32

Of all the the many things I did last weekend aboard Celebrity Silhouette, eating was by far my favorite. celebritycruise-01-1

celebritycruise-02-1

You’ll imagine how happy I was eating my way down the length of an ocean liner.

celebritycruise-29

celebritycruise-24

celebritycruise-08

celebritycruise-05

celebritycruise-33

celebritycruise-16

celebritycruise-19

celebritycruise-17-1

Now, I’ve been on a cruise ship a time or two. I know that the food on deck isn’t always worth writing home about, or at least, it’s essentially the same meal dressed in five less-than-stylish outfits.

Celebrity Cruises was different. One, because there were 12 (yep, t-w-e-l-v-e) restaurants and cafes on board. And two, because each was absolutely unique. I was so impressed that I made Head chef Jacques Van Staden told me that the only thing he aimed for when designing the eateries and menus for the ship (beyond excellent taste) was “for guests to never find themselves bored with food options.” He understood that when someone embarks on a 10-day cruise, they’re likely to get tired of the same rotation of meals. On the Silhouette, each dining spot had its own identity entirely- from the menu design to the décor to the signature flavors.

celebritycruise-25-1

sushi lollipops

celebritycruise-19-1

chocolate-dipped strawberry lollipops

celebritycruise-20-1

celebritycruise-24-1

celebritycruise-30-1

celebritycruise-29-1

fried meatballs, three ways

celebritycruise-38-1

blue crab and salmon avocado napoleon

celebritycruise-35-1

celebritycruise-36-1

celebritycruise-32-1

chocolate mousse cake

celebritysilhouette-08

disco shrimp

celebritycruise-45

celebritycruise-23

celebritycruise-04

celebritycruise-40-1

Celebrity just published a new cookbook to feature all of their unique dishes: Excite the Senses.

celebritycruise-20

celebritycruise-47

celebritysilhouette-09

Midday, I attended a cocktail workshop where I learned all about molecular mixology. The puffs of smoke flowing from the drinks above are from a light pour of liquid nitrogen. celebritysilhouette-11

And when I’d had my fill of cocktails, it was high time for a beer tasting.

celebritysilhouette-14

Followed by a Kenny G concert.

celebritysilhouette-13

celebritycruise-15

celebritycruise-14

And finally, a special dinner at Blu, the ship’s chic and elite restaurant. The five course meal, exclusive to Gilt City guests, was prepared by celebrity chefs Alex Guarnaschelli, Daisy Martinez, Claudia Fleming, Lee Anne Wong, and Andrea Reusing. Each bite was fantastic- balanced and interesting. Every dish was perfectly paired with wines selected by the ship’s team of sommeliers.

celebritysilhouette-02

celebritysilhouette-01

celebritysilhouette-06

I’m glad I packed my spare stomach.

More to come…

johnny November 8, 2011 at 3:11 am

WOW!!! THAT’S ALL I CAN SAY! WOW!!!
I’ve never been on a cruise ship, I think I would enjoy this!

Meaghan O'Connor @ My Spoonful of Inspiration November 8, 2011 at 5:05 am

Wow- these shots look so great! I am so jealous of your chance to get away :)

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat November 8, 2011 at 5:05 am

Excite the senses <– That's exactly how I feel reading this! OMG Andie, everything looks wonderful! The sushi lollipops, the waffle, bahhhh I feel like I've just been on a holiday by looking at these photos. Methinks I should be looking for a cruise holiday….. ;)

Anne Weber-Falk November 8, 2011 at 6:04 am

That’s the fanciest cruise I’ve never been on.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh November 8, 2011 at 6:44 am

There is just not an appropriate comment to encompass how awesome that all looks.

Michelle H November 8, 2011 at 7:22 am

the first two words that come to mind: HOLY SMOKES! Looks like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Glad you got to bring your dad. :-)

Claire November 8, 2011 at 7:46 am

Un.Real.

Looks like heaven. Thanks so much for snapping all the photos :)

Susan Moskowitz November 8, 2011 at 8:09 am

My husband & I were on board too as part of the Gilt City group. We got to sample food from the specialty restaurants and had the best seats for Kenny G’s performance.( I have several close up pictures of him from his afternoon practice session, if you are interested) We had the 2nd seating for the fabulous 5 course meal at Blu….just an amazing weekend!

Sara Cate November 8, 2011 at 8:46 am

What an absolutely amazing experience! It looks beautiful – I’m sold!

Leah @ Why Deprive? November 8, 2011 at 8:54 am

Oh my . . . that looks amazing. Everything is so beautiful!

Carole November 8, 2011 at 10:42 am

Wonderful photos. Blu is a gorgeous restaurant!

Megan November 8, 2011 at 11:14 am

Looks like an amazing time – so different from regular cruises! Your photos are making me think it’s time to set sail!

Amy November 8, 2011 at 5:22 pm

Everything looks delicious! I love the idea of sushi lollipops – takes away from the need to try and look coordinated with chopsticks :)
Love the presentation of the bowls on the bookshelf. Just trying to figure out how to incorporate that into my next dinner party…

Sarah November 8, 2011 at 6:01 pm

ARE…YOU….KIDDING! This looks like a foodie cruise from heaven!! Your pic are to die for and now I am dreaming of sailing the high seas and stuffing my face the entire time! You are one lucky little lady!! xo

Melissa November 8, 2011 at 6:35 pm

Good grief. I was kind of hoping that my home would look like this, and all that food would be in my kitchen by default….but for some reason it just didn’t happen. Maybe next time!

It looks like a dream. So glad you had a wonderful trip!

Alexa @ SimpleEats November 8, 2011 at 6:47 pm

That’s the thing about cruises, the endless food! I’m sure yours was nothing short of amazing.

Alissa November 9, 2011 at 12:50 pm

All of the food looks fantastically scrumptious but I think I just became obsessed with the sushi lollipops! mmmm. :)

Katy November 12, 2011 at 5:16 am

This place just looks amazing. I’m glad you got to experience it.