5 Healthy Foods I Love: Part 8

by Andie Mitchell on December 19, 2011

vegetables-1-1

Read parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Cheese

Favorites are always of the strong, pungent variety: Extra sharp Vermont cheddar- especially on meatloaf, crumbles of blue with anything and everything Buffalo Chicken, goat, parmesan, and gorgonzola. I do not often add cheese to foods where I fear the flavor will get lost- in cold sandwiches most notably. This is a reasonable calorie saver. Use cheese where you love it most; use it where you highlight its taste and texture. 2.6.11 072

2.6.11 114

2.6.11 075

Broccoli Slaw

For 100 highly filling calories per 4 cups, this shredded mix of broccoli stalks and carrots is incredibly versatile.  I’ve been known to do any and all of the following:

1. Stuff it inside a wonton wrapper for refreshing crispness in Buffalo Chicken Rolls or Barbecue Chicken Rolls. I’m building an egg roll enterprise.

2. Use it as a mock pasta in Vegetarian Lo Mein or Soy Ginger Fried Couscous.

3. Steam and stir it with a Laughing Cow French Onion cheese wedge for a creamy, healthy, and light side dish for chicken or fish.

6351980908_375a242f69

Shrimp

There’s something about that first snap through a piece of shrimp. That slight burst in my mouth. Texturally, shrimp does it for me. These pink shellfish are lean, low in calories, and can mingle quite happily with just about any type of cuisine- Italian, Asian, Latin, you name it. They are my go-to stir fry addition.

Here are 3 favorite shrimp recipes: Scampi Stuffed and Roasted Shrimp, Shrimp Cakes, Shrimp with Spicy Garlic Sauce. almond butter (2)

Almond Butter

Dearest Peanut Butter,

I love you just as much. Your sister is just darkly roasted and, for better or worse, a little bolder than you.

red_onion-4

Red Onion

I love the sweet pungency of red onion. Slicing it thinly, it’s the perfect sharp crunch on sandwiches. Slicing it thickly, it’s a favorite of mine when it softens and caramelizes in fajitas.

What are 5 healthy foods you’re loving right now?

Alice December 19, 2011 at 6:56 pm

ditto to all! i love the idea about broccoli slaw and laughing cow….i will definitely be trying that out soon!

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking December 19, 2011 at 7:03 pm

I love your healthy foods. Almond butter and cheese is a must.

Besides those, I love..
1. Cashews
2. Bananas
3. Dates (taste like cake!)
4. Pumpkin

Alexa @ SimpleEats December 19, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I’m loving kale, feta, greek yogurt and squeezing lemon on everything!

Amy B @ Second City Randomness December 19, 2011 at 7:44 pm

I really need to try out broccoli slaw. It keeps looking at me when I pass it at Trader Joe’s… :)

My favorite healthy food right now? Gotta say the brussels sprouts. They’ve won me over!

ashley December 26, 2011 at 6:20 pm

what do you do to the brussel sprouts?

admin January 10, 2012 at 7:01 am

Hey Ashley! I love to rub them in olive oil and roast them at 425 for 20 minutes or until they’re soft enough to pierce with a fork.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh December 19, 2011 at 7:51 pm

You give me a super sharp cheddar or asiago and I’m a happy girl! I love red onions too. I love that kickback from them. Put them together and roll ‘em in a tortilla and you’ve got a tasty meal! :)

Lara December 19, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Great, now I’m hungry! I love red onion in homemade salsa!

Miranda @ Living One Bite at a Time December 19, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Yum! I never thought of doing a slaw of broccoli. I love your Healthy Food series!

Kelly @ No Thanks to Cake December 19, 2011 at 9:05 pm

Love these veggies these days… can’t get enough!

1. Brussels Sprouts
2. Butter Lettuce
3. Yellow Grape Tomatoes
4. Kohlrabi
5. Cauliflower

Angela @ Eat Spin Run Repeat December 20, 2011 at 4:48 am

Love these posts! My 5 top foods right now are:
1) Brussels sprouts
2) Butternut squash
3) Maple infused balsamic vinegar (drizzled on 1 and 2!)
4) Edamame
5) Sashimi – white tuna in particular!

Daniella @ Runner at Heart December 20, 2011 at 5:26 am

I love shrimp too mainly because it is such a quick and easy item to whip up for dinner.

colette December 20, 2011 at 6:21 am

Thank you for introducing me to broccoli slaw! I had never had it before making your buffalo chicken rolls (admittedly, I didn’t even know what it was before then) and now I am thinking of all of the recipes I can add it to for extra nutrients/volume and not many extra calories. I can’t wait to try it with laughing cow as a side dish… how do you think of these things?!?!

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves December 20, 2011 at 6:53 am

Have you ever made your own broccoli slaw? I have a couple of recipes I want to make with it, but can’t find it in any grocery stores in my area. Plus my dad has broccoli growing in his garden. Do you think I could just throw the stalks in the food processor with the shredding blade?

Rachel @ The Avid Appetite December 20, 2011 at 7:29 am

Right now I’m loving peanut butter, Laughing Cow cheese, sandwich thins, light pudding mixes, almond milk, and vegetables!

Megan (Braise The Roof) December 20, 2011 at 12:01 pm

I love red onions, too, although I try to stay away from them at lunch because eek- my poor coworkers don’t need me breathing raw onion breath at them all afternoon. :)

Lu December 20, 2011 at 12:30 pm

Dark Chocolate
Peanut Butter
Broccoli
Tofu
Soy Egg Nog

Not all together though.

Happy Holidays!

Lacey December 20, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Seeing you suggest that cheese is, in any way at all, healthy, upsets me. Cheese is full of saturated fat, cholesterol and calories. It brings to the table very little nutritional value, and what little is has is overruled by all the unhealthy aspects. All fats aren’t unhealthy, but cheese sure is.

1. Kale
2. Garlic
3. Edamame
4. Chia seeds
5. Quinoa

Meg December 20, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Lately, I’m especially loving kale (my very favorite topper to homemade pizzas), grape seed oil, spaghetti squash, tangerines, and broccoli–can’t seem to get enough!

Amanda V December 20, 2011 at 8:18 pm

Currently,

Roasted pumpkin seeds
Oatmeal (ok that is always)
Spinach (in smoothies, why did this take me so long to discover?)
Cottage cheese

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers December 21, 2011 at 3:37 am

Good ones! I put extra onion in almost every recipe I cook. I might swap pb for almond butter. I guess almond’s healthier, but my love for pb is unconditional.

Mia December 22, 2011 at 2:51 am

Can anyone tell me what the ingredient list for broccoli slaw is please?
We don’t get it here in the UK but it sure does sound nice!

adrianne (all of the above) December 22, 2011 at 9:17 am

I’ve just recently come to terms with the fact that cheese doesn’t belong on everything! I would add it to pretty much anything, but the flavor was lost in certain dishes. Now I add it sparingly to things I know I’ll be able to taste it in. The calories saved can go to something better, and I don’t have to be so disappointed when I learn the hard way (yet again) that cheese doesn’t always add to a dish.

That being said, a small amount of a nice, tangy cheese is one of my favorite things in life.

I also have a new love for steamed cabbage with a little butter. Just a little.

Lacey December 28, 2011 at 1:28 pm

mustard (or turnip or collard) greens, hummus, asparagus, FRUIT!!! (because I am slightly reliant upon them at this point. I have eliminated excess sugars [ice cream, cake, cookies, candy, cheesecake, pie...] for 21 days with hopes of “breaking the habit” and will go from there. After my ridiculous indulgence during the holidays this year, my addiciton to sugar has been fueled, and I MUST get it under control.), and greek yogurt.