Healthier Morning Glory Muffins

• 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple (including juices)
  • 1½ cups shredded carrots (2-3 medium)
  • ½ cup raisins
  • ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • ½ cup walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cups.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat together oil, eggs, and pineapple (including pineapple can juices). Stir egg mixture into the flour mixture, just until combined.
  4. Stir in the carrot, raisins, coconut, and walnuts. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

makes 12

klh January 9, 2012 at 6:40 am

Your pictures are amazing! I’ve browsed your blog over the last several weeks…I LOVE your honesty in all of your posts! Thanks for sharing your journey each day!

Katie :)

Kristin Murdock January 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

I just wrote about a healthier bran muffin! And apparently I’ll be eating muffins for the rest of the month, because these babies are being made TODAY.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) January 9, 2012 at 7:10 am

Love these photos! There’s nothing like a good muffin, although I think they have to be baked and not bought – ones in teh store always taste too thick and cakey to me.

TJ January 9, 2012 at 7:21 am

Yummy! They look marvelous. I have really been enjoying your “Email from a reader” post.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 9, 2012 at 7:37 am

I’m going to thank you in advance from The Mr. These have all of his favorite ingredients! YUM!

Auth February 2, 2012 at 10:56 pm

I bvleiee this web site has some rattling good information for everyone. “I prefer the wicked rather than the foolish. The wicked sometimes rest.” by Alexandre Dumas.

Laura S. January 9, 2012 at 8:25 am

I love this recipe, it looks delicious. Cant wait to try it out, I think my kids will love it!

Lea @ Healthy Coconut January 9, 2012 at 8:28 am

I love muffins. I’ve been baking with crushed pineapples lately, ever since I made Coconut Pineapple Banana bread, I’ve been wanting to use pineapple when I’m baking.

Lu January 9, 2012 at 8:43 am

I’ve begun a serious relationship with pineapple recently. It’s deep and it’s promising. I think I will be making these very soon. If only they would let me keep an oven at work…

admin January 10, 2012 at 4:34 am

Lu, come over. I have an oven where I work. At home :)

Rachael S January 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

These sound AMAZING…too bad I have to work otherwise I would be at home making these right now, they sounds perfect for this raining day.

Sarah@The Flying ONION January 9, 2012 at 9:31 am

I am obsessed with morning glory muffins. They really do brighten up the morning. :D

Lisa @ The Cooking Bride January 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

Oh yum! These look SO good!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count January 9, 2012 at 9:33 am

These muffins sound delicious! I need to try them…soon!

Rachel January 9, 2012 at 10:52 am

Do you think I could substitute greek yogurt for the oil without sacrificing too much in the way of texture? I try to make this swap as often as possible in an attempt to stay on my WW Points budget. Thanks!!

Lindsey January 9, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I have substitued unsweetended applesauce for oil in recipes before – not sure if it would work in this, but that is my experience!

admin January 10, 2012 at 4:33 am

Hey Rachel!

Hmm…I’ve never substituted greek yogurt for oil/butter in a recipe so I’m not sure. It could work, though, because it adds moisture. I, like Lindsey, have used applesauce and had great results!

Rachel January 10, 2012 at 5:53 am

Oh, I bet the applesauce would be fantastic here. I use the yogurt in brownies all the time and they turn out wonderful!

raquel January 9, 2012 at 6:34 pm

To be honest what I love here is the photos they are awesome and of course I know that the muffins taste really scrumptious. I almost smell the cinnamon here =)

Meg January 10, 2012 at 5:49 am

These look yummy! I’ll try them this week :-) I also do the applesauce for oil. I will likely also sub honey for sugar and whole wheat for AP flour. My husband is a “whole food” junkie ;)

Ms. O January 10, 2012 at 7:59 pm

Andie,
I miss your narration before every recipe and photos, I miss reading your description of every taste and every texture, I miss your dreamy writing.

admin January 11, 2012 at 4:48 am

Hi Ms. O,
Thank you for reminding me how much I, too, love writing in that dreamy delicious way :) Will bring it back full force

All the good things,

Amanda January 11, 2012 at 11:54 am

This recipe looks amazing! I wonder if my husband will notice the coconut… he’s not fond of the texture. Question: Is the baking powder absolutely necessary? Or is there a substitution? I don’t have anything against it; it’s just not something I keep on hand.

Thank you!

admin January 11, 2012 at 11:58 am

Hey Amanda! Unfortunately, you’ll need the baking powder. Borrow some from a neighbor? :)

Kristen January 12, 2012 at 6:24 pm

These muffins look heavenly. Pretty sure these will find their way into my belly by Monday.

I’ve always wanted to try the apple sauce substitution, but have always forgotten to. Is it an equal substitution? Since this recipe calls for 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, would I use a 1/2 cup of apple sauce too?

I’ve never commented on a recipe of yours before, but I thought I’d finally take the time to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. Your writing is simply wonderful. You have the ability to make me giggle, smile, and cry all in one post. I also really like your ‘Email from a Reader’ posts.

And to make this comment even longer, I have been craving chicken and dumplings for MONTHS! You are truly an angel for posting that recipe. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making that for dinner tomorrow too.

Thank you for having such a wonderful blog. You are such a lovely lady. And I hope to one day have the same loving, healthy relationship with food that you do.

admin January 14, 2012 at 7:26 am

Thank you so much Kristen! What a wonderful comment to wake up to on Saturday morning :)
Yes, I would sub an equal amount of applesauce for the amount called for in oil- so in this case: 1/2 cup

So great of you to say hello!

Ana Maria January 14, 2012 at 6:17 am

I tried these out yesterday and they were a smashing success (with both myself and my fam jam). Subbed in half whole-wheat flour and it worked just fine, they still had such a light crumb. Sweetly delicious and healthy!
Thanks!

Jen January 15, 2012 at 9:59 pm

Hi from a new(er) reader! These look so delicious. I’m so inspired by you. This morning, I went to the store specifically for ingredients for muffins and instead I bought an instant blueberry muffin kit. They were mediocre, at best. How do you get the inspiration to cook so early in the morning!?

Sarah January 19, 2012 at 10:54 am

Made these last night – they are scrumptious!! Next time I think I will try with applesauce in place of the oil. And maybe cook them a little less. But oh so good! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

Lisa January 21, 2012 at 8:24 am

Just found your website through Pinterest and love it. I’ve been trying to find a way to motivate myself into dieting as I have the same amount of weight to lose as you did and I’m so uncomfortable and aware of how much life I’m missing. I don’t know what a “morning glory muffin” is, but these sound great. Is there a reason there isn’t calorie information on this recipe?

Shirley January 23, 2012 at 5:41 pm

How many calories does one muffin have in it? I’m going to make these!

admin January 24, 2012 at 4:36 am

Hi Shirley!
Thanks :) I don’t have the nutrition info, apologies!

April January 26, 2012 at 9:51 am

Hi! My son is allergic to pineapple…what can I substitute to not sacrifice the importance of what the pineapple provides?

admin January 26, 2012 at 12:17 pm

Hey April,

I’d substitute apple sauce. Let me know if this works!

Michelle January 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

I just found your blog and I am loving it! We are about to move so I was thinking of making a bunch of stuff to put in the freezer so we have some real meals during all the unpacking craziness. I want to give these a try for breakfast, but I don’t like coconut. Can you really taste the coconut in the muffins? Would it change the taste of the muffins too much if I left out the coconut?

admin January 28, 2012 at 4:46 am

Hey Michelle!

No, the coconut flavor isn’t too pronounced. It just adds a nice pop of texture and a bit of moisture. Feel absolutely free to leave it out!

Joan Gillespie January 27, 2012 at 11:43 am

LOVE these muffins! LOVE your site. I think you are great!

Sharon Amor May 9, 2012 at 12:19 pm

As near as I can figure, these have 9 WW+ points for each muffin using oil.

Julie Nunez May 25, 2012 at 6:53 am

This is a great recipe! I made these last night and substituted apple sauce for the vegetable oil. These will be a regular item in our house. Thank you!

For those opposed to pineapple, maybe they can try using mangos?

Diane July 30, 2012 at 5:42 am

I just ate one of these muffins and it was delicious! I did a couple modifications that worked well. I subbed applesauce for 1/2 the oil, subbed whole wheat flour for 1/2 the flour (I will sub both for the whole amount next week!) and used unsweetened organic coconut–only because I had it on had from a previous recipe I never made. Thank you for all of this wonderful information!! I am getting so inspired by your recipes!

Hawley August 22, 2012 at 12:06 pm

I have an odd question for you- I am lacking a muffin tin. Do you think I could bake this in a cake pan instead? Will it rise enough do you think?

admin August 22, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Hi Hawley! Yes, you can absolutely use a cupcake pan. In fact, I think that muffin tins and cupcake tins are the same.
-Andie

Hawley August 22, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I meant an 8×8 inch cake pan, or a round 9″ cake pan :)

Andie August 22, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Hahaha! This has to be one of my better reading errors :) I’m sorry. Yes, i think it will work in a cake pan- any sizes that allow the batter to fill it 3/4 of the way full. Bake it for 25 minutes at 350 and then check for doneness using a toothpick. Hope it works!
-Andie

Hawley August 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

Thanks! I’ll let you know how it turns out.

kasia August 22, 2012 at 6:12 pm

these were really great. i changed the white flour to whole wheat flour. next time i’m going to try and substitue the oil for apple sauce and decrease the sugar. i have a huge sweet tooth, but these were a little too sweet.

Jillian August 26, 2012 at 12:09 pm

I just made these muffins today, and they were delicious! I might try to substitute the oil with greek yogurt just to cut down on fat & calories next time. I looked up the nutritional info, and they come out to be about 300 calories with 14.5g fat per muffin as written. Thanks so much for posting!

Diane September 12, 2012 at 8:47 am

Just made these. Used whole wheat flour. Came out PERFECT. Not too sweet. Great flavor! I’m glad I came across your blog. Great story and great recipes. Cant wait to try more!

Michelle October 21, 2012 at 10:26 am

Tout bien vient de Dieu! Which means that all good comes from God! You are a kind, intelligent and sharing spirit. I really appreciate your blog (very creative + fun) and the recipes = delicious! I’m an epicurean mom of 5 and I learned to cook from recipe books but mostly from the Internet but you, You make it more personnel, THANKS from me and family!

Jean November 27, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I think you have reversed the baking soda and baking powder. Seems like there is usually more powder than soda in muffin recipes.

Tess January 13, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Hi! I just made these and they’re so delicious! I went ahead and figured out the nutritional facts and thought I’d share:

For 1 regular size muffin:
Calories 326.2
Total Fat 15.8 g

Saturated Fat 8.9 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g

Cholesterol 53.8 mg

Sodium 504.4 mg

Potassium 127.8 mg

Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g

Dietary Fiber 2.2 g

Sugars 19.6 g

Protein 5.5 g

***This is what came up when I entered it into an online calculator so there is probably some room for error. Hope it helps!***

admin January 13, 2013 at 1:28 pm

Tess, thank you!!!

Mary April 14, 2013 at 6:17 pm

I just baked these muffins and they are “Fabulous”…the best muffins I have ever baked. They are moist and full of good for you ingredents, lots of fiber too. I added a 1″ piece of grated fresh ginger….yum. Thank you for sharing your receipes as I will try more of your creations and will be passing them on to family and friends. Your website is great and I am so glad I found it as a source of healthy recipes.

Mary E.

Lynn October 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Do you have the nutritional valuew so I can figure out the ww points?

Lynn October 6, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Can’t wait to see and try your receipes. I’m trying hard to lose weight and i love to cook Thanks

Terry February 5, 2014 at 10:48 am

I can’t eat pineapple. Any suggestions for a substitute?

Jan March 9, 2014 at 10:56 am

Many thanks for this great recipe! It’s definitely going on my favorite recipes Pinterest board.
Can’t wait to check out some of your others!