Healthier Morning Glory Muffins

• 1½ teaspoons baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • ¾ teaspoon salt
  • ½ cup vegetable oil
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1 (8-ounce) can crushed pineapple (including juices)
  • 1½ cups shredded carrots (2-3 medium)
  • ½ cup raisins
  • ½ cup sweetened shredded coconut
  • ½ cup walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a 12 cup muffin tin with paper cups.
  2. In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt.
  3. In a separate bowl, beat together oil, eggs, and pineapple (including pineapple can juices). Stir egg mixture into the flour mixture, just until combined.
  4. Stir in the carrot, raisins, coconut, and walnuts. Scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
  5. Bake in preheated oven for about 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into center of a muffin comes out clean.

makes 12

Comments

1. says

Your pictures are amazing! I’ve browsed your blog over the last several weeks…I LOVE your honesty in all of your posts! Thanks for sharing your journey each day!

Katie :)

• says

I bvleiee this web site has some rattling good information for everyone. “I prefer the wicked rather than the foolish. The wicked sometimes rest.” by Alexandre Dumas.

2. says

I’ve begun a serious relationship with pineapple recently. It’s deep and it’s promising. I think I will be making these very soon. If only they would let me keep an oven at work…

3. Rachel says

Do you think I could substitute greek yogurt for the oil without sacrificing too much in the way of texture? I try to make this swap as often as possible in an attempt to stay on my WW Points budget. Thanks!!

• Lindsey says

I have substitued unsweetended applesauce for oil in recipes before – not sure if it would work in this, but that is my experience!

• admin says

Hey Rachel!

Hmm…I’ve never substituted greek yogurt for oil/butter in a recipe so I’m not sure. It could work, though, because it adds moisture. I, like Lindsey, have used applesauce and had great results!

• Rachel says

Oh, I bet the applesauce would be fantastic here. I use the yogurt in brownies all the time and they turn out wonderful!

4. says

To be honest what I love here is the photos they are awesome and of course I know that the muffins taste really scrumptious. I almost smell the cinnamon here =)

5. Meg says

These look yummy! I’ll try them this week :-) I also do the applesauce for oil. I will likely also sub honey for sugar and whole wheat for AP flour. My husband is a “whole food” junkie 😉

6. Ms. O says

Andie,
    I miss your narration before every recipe and photos, I miss reading your description of every taste and every texture, I miss your dreamy writing.

• admin says

Hi Ms. O,
      Thank you for reminding me how much I, too, love writing in that dreamy delicious way :) Will bring it back full force

All the good things,

7. Amanda says

This recipe looks amazing! I wonder if my husband will notice the coconut… he’s not fond of the texture. Question: Is the baking powder absolutely necessary? Or is there a substitution? I don’t have anything against it; it’s just not something I keep on hand.

Thank you!

8. Kristen says

These muffins look heavenly. Pretty sure these will find their way into my belly by Monday.

I’ve always wanted to try the apple sauce substitution, but have always forgotten to. Is it an equal substitution? Since this recipe calls for 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, would I use a 1/2 cup of apple sauce too?

I’ve never commented on a recipe of yours before, but I thought I’d finally take the time to let you know that I really enjoy your blog. Your writing is simply wonderful. You have the ability to make me giggle, smile, and cry all in one post. I also really like your ‘Email from a Reader’ posts.

And to make this comment even longer, I have been craving chicken and dumplings for MONTHS! You are truly an angel for posting that recipe. I’m pretty sure I’ll be making that for dinner tomorrow too.

Thank you for having such a wonderful blog. You are such a lovely lady. And I hope to one day have the same loving, healthy relationship with food that you do.

• admin says

Thank you so much Kristen! What a wonderful comment to wake up to on Saturday morning :)
      Yes, I would sub an equal amount of applesauce for the amount called for in oil- so in this case: 1/2 cup

So great of you to say hello!

9. Ana Maria says

I tried these out yesterday and they were a smashing success (with both myself and my fam jam). Subbed in half whole-wheat flour and it worked just fine, they still had such a light crumb. Sweetly delicious and healthy!
    Thanks!

10. says

Hi from a new(er) reader! These look so delicious. I’m so inspired by you. This morning, I went to the store specifically for ingredients for muffins and instead I bought an instant blueberry muffin kit. They were mediocre, at best. How do you get the inspiration to cook so early in the morning!?

11. Sarah says

Made these last night – they are scrumptious!! Next time I think I will try with applesauce in place of the oil. And maybe cook them a little less. But oh so good! Thanks for the recipe!! :)

12. Lisa says

Just found your website through Pinterest and love it. I’ve been trying to find a way to motivate myself into dieting as I have the same amount of weight to lose as you did and I’m so uncomfortable and aware of how much life I’m missing. I don’t know what a “morning glory muffin” is, but these sound great. Is there a reason there isn’t calorie information on this recipe?

13. April says

Hi! My son is allergic to pineapple…what can I substitute to not sacrifice the importance of what the pineapple provides?

14. Michelle says

I just found your blog and I am loving it! We are about to move so I was thinking of making a bunch of stuff to put in the freezer so we have some real meals during all the unpacking craziness. I want to give these a try for breakfast, but I don’t like coconut. Can you really taste the coconut in the muffins? Would it change the taste of the muffins too much if I left out the coconut?

• admin says

Hey Michelle!

No, the coconut flavor isn’t too pronounced. It just adds a nice pop of texture and a bit of moisture. Feel absolutely free to leave it out!

15. Julie Nunez says

This is a great recipe! I made these last night and substituted apple sauce for the vegetable oil. These will be a regular item in our house. Thank you!

For those opposed to pineapple, maybe they can try using mangos?

16. Diane says

I just ate one of these muffins and it was delicious! I did a couple modifications that worked well. I subbed applesauce for 1/2 the oil, subbed whole wheat flour for 1/2 the flour (I will sub both for the whole amount next week!) and used unsweetened organic coconut–only because I had it on had from a previous recipe I never made. Thank you for all of this wonderful information!! I am getting so inspired by your recipes!

17. Hawley says

I have an odd question for you- I am lacking a muffin tin. Do you think I could bake this in a cake pan instead? Will it rise enough do you think?

• admin says

Hi Hawley! Yes, you can absolutely use a cupcake pan. In fact, I think that muffin tins and cupcake tins are the same.
      -Andie

• Andie says

Hahaha! This has to be one of my better reading errors :) I’m sorry. Yes, i think it will work in a cake pan- any sizes that allow the batter to fill it 3/4 of the way full. Bake it for 25 minutes at 350 and then check for doneness using a toothpick. Hope it works!
          -Andie

18. kasia says

these were really great. i changed the white flour to whole wheat flour. next time i’m going to try and substitue the oil for apple sauce and decrease the sugar. i have a huge sweet tooth, but these were a little too sweet.

19. says

I just made these muffins today, and they were delicious! I might try to substitute the oil with greek yogurt just to cut down on fat & calories next time. I looked up the nutritional info, and they come out to be about 300 calories with 14.5g fat per muffin as written. Thanks so much for posting!

20. Diane says

Just made these. Used whole wheat flour. Came out PERFECT. Not too sweet. Great flavor! I’m glad I came across your blog. Great story and great recipes. Cant wait to try more!

21. Michelle says

Tout bien vient de Dieu! Which means that all good comes from God! You are a kind, intelligent and sharing spirit. I really appreciate your blog (very creative + fun) and the recipes = delicious! I’m an epicurean mom of 5 and I learned to cook from recipe books but mostly from the Internet but you, You make it more personnel, THANKS from me and family!

22. Jean says

I think you have reversed the baking soda and baking powder. Seems like there is usually more powder than soda in muffin recipes.

23. Tess says

Hi! I just made these and they’re so delicious! I went ahead and figured out the nutritional facts and thought I’d share:

For 1 regular size muffin:
    Calories 326.2
    Total Fat 15.8 g

Saturated Fat 8.9 g

Polyunsaturated Fat 2.5 g

Monounsaturated Fat 0.5 g

Cholesterol 53.8 mg

Sodium 504.4 mg

Potassium 127.8 mg

Total Carbohydrate 43.0 g

Dietary Fiber 2.2 g

Sugars 19.6 g

Protein 5.5 g

***This is what came up when I entered it into an online calculator so there is probably some room for error. Hope it helps!***

24. Mary says

I just baked these muffins and they are “Fabulous”…the best muffins I have ever baked. They are moist and full of good for you ingredents, lots of fiber too. I added a 1” piece of grated fresh ginger….yum. Thank you for sharing your receipes as I will try more of your creations and will be passing them on to family and friends. Your website is great and I am so glad I found it as a source of healthy recipes.

Mary E.

25. Jan says

Many thanks for this great recipe! It’s definitely going on my favorite recipes Pinterest board.
    Can’t wait to check out some of your others!

26. Neva says

I absolutely loved your book. There were pages that brought me to tears because I can so easily identify myself within your words. I am currently working on myself. I understand that food is not the problem it is the symptom. Anyway, thank you for your openness and honesty. You are a blessing.
    I have one question….is there somewhere on your blog where you list the calories per serving for your recipes.
    God Bless.
    Neva

Trackbacks

1. […] use the shredded carrots for my Crockpot Spaghetti Sauce and often for Healthier Morning Glory Muffins from Can You Stay For Dinner? The ground turkey will also be used in the spaghetti sauce and a few […]