Rachael Ray’s 30 Minute Chicken and Dumplings

by Andie Mitchell on January 11, 2012

chicken_and_dumplings-4

Years ago, when I thought about assembling dinner quickly- in 30 minutes or less, let’s say- I [quite lovingly] pictured peanut butter and fluff sandwiches and bowls of cereal.

Come to think of it, I still do. Peanut butter oozing out from under an unbearably heavy mattress of marshmallow. The bread- an afterthought, really. And as for cereal- bowls one through three eaten mindfully, the fourth- not so much.

But now, I realize one [fairly insignificant but for the purpose of this post- let’s discuss] difference,

and that is:

other meals can happen quickly, too.

chicken_and_dumplings-1

This dish- an almost absurdly simple chicken and dumplings- is pure comfort. Cashmere meets cream.

Many recipes for chicken and dumplings, while delicious no doubt, seem to take hours. Or at least, they’re a little more hands-on than I’d like to be once 6pm rolls around.

At that point, I’m on the peanut butter and fluff train with a one way ticket.chicken_and_dumplings-3

Rachael Ray, a woman I admire deeply, who makes me smile because she really owns who she is, has given me the simplest, creamiest bowl of chicken and plump, doughy dumplings I could have imagined.

Quick, filling, and so loving the bowl feels almost huggable.

green_pea-3

Recipe Here: Rachael Ray’s Chicken and Dumplings

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 11, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Something creeps me out about using biscuit mix for dumplings. But this is the year of getting past ‘the creeps’ where food is concerned so I’m hoping it give it a whirl soon. Because if Andie says it’s good, it’s almost certainly so!

shannon January 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

ooh, thanks for the recipe find! (I love chicken & dumplings, but the name always cracks me up thanks to a terrible joke from the original True Grit where the diners at a boarding house discuss the entree: “watch out for the chicken & dumplings” warns on man…”why?” asks the girl; “they’ll hurt your eyes” he says…”how?” she asks. He grins “they’ll hurt your eyes looking for the chicken!” lame, I know, but chicken & dumplings always makes me smile.)

(Back on topic…I agree that most recipes for chicken & dumplings are needlessly complex and time consuming!)

admin January 12, 2012 at 5:08 am

Ha I love True Grit!

RJ (Kids and Cast Iron) January 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

This is a good one. Quick and comforting.

Anna @ Food Fitness Frolicking January 11, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Dumpling soup. Mmmmmm. I swear, it’s the cure for rainy day blues. Like today.

I love how easy Rachel Ray makes any dinner..because, I as well am tempted to reach for a bowl of cereal or peanut butter sandwich after a long day. But, when you can make savory soups like this in just 30 minutes..there’s no excuse! :)

LMF January 11, 2012 at 6:22 pm

“Cashmere meets cream.” – What an amazing sentence! ~L

admin January 12, 2012 at 5:08 am

You know how I get: lusty when talking about food :)

Karista January 11, 2012 at 8:40 pm

I too greatly admire Rachel Ray. You said it beautifully, she owns who she is. Love this recipe. I think I might need some chicken and dumplings this week.

Danielle January 11, 2012 at 10:49 pm

This looks AMAZING. I might just try this tomorrow night. Thanks for the review!

Jen @ pretty plate January 12, 2012 at 3:07 am

Love it!

Mouth is watering and its 6:00 am

: ))
Jen

Rebecca B. January 12, 2012 at 4:26 am

Yum! She also has a recipe for Italian Chicken and Dumplings that somehow is even easier! It uses gnocchi for the dumplings! It is pretty great.

Shannon January 12, 2012 at 4:36 am

Looks great! Love your blog. Thanks for sharing :)

Jessen January 12, 2012 at 4:49 am

Finally, I found Others that Love Rachael Ray as much as I do!!! Alot of other blogs bash her so much you’d think it’s just all jealousy becasuse she’s so Successful. She deserves it IMHO, She’s so creative with as many recipes as she comes out with per year, she’s fun, and Real. I adore her.

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) January 12, 2012 at 8:14 am

The other day I had my copy of Everyday With Rachel Ray under my arm as I exited a restaurant before play rehearsal, and apparently forgot about it and dropped it somewhere on the way to my car :( I don’t have a subscription, so not only did I lose my little monthly food bible, but I wasted $4 too! I love her simple recipes and how she can jazz up something basic into something fancy.

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts January 12, 2012 at 9:12 am

I love Rachael Ray – she has ideas, and is very creative. This looks pure comforting and perfect for a cold night!

Stephanie// The Vintage Modern Wife January 12, 2012 at 10:59 am

it looks absolutely delicious. i’m going to have to check this out!

Kadee @kadeebugblog January 13, 2012 at 6:56 pm

You know those peanut butter and fluff sandwiches you love so much?? I’ve always known them as “fluffernutters”

and now I’m craving one really bad.. But those dumplings look delicious as well.

Shanna January 13, 2012 at 7:44 pm

Never in a million years would I have thought to try this, mostly due to the disgusting photo of the dish on their website (sorry but its true!)…it looks watery and just…not yummy. But your photograph looks COMPLETELY different. Creamy, doughy and delicious…something I now need to try. So thank you. And Food Network should thank you too. I think they should offer you a job!!! :)

Biz January 14, 2012 at 8:08 am

I love Jiffy mix! Totally making this – thanks for the recipe link! :D

Amanda January 15, 2012 at 7:44 am

So I made this last night for my husbands family (which is full of completely picky and critical people) and they LOVED it. Even my sister in law who is notoriously picky and doesn’t eat much, got SECONDS. Everyone was amazed. I was a little nervous because I have never made Chicken and Dumplings before, but it was a hit! Thank you! :)

Jean January 19, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I am on Weight watchers also and wondering if you ever post the points for your recipes. That would be so great! I love your site.