Butter Crumb Baked Alaskan Cod

by Andie Mitchell on January 19, 2012

baked_cod-10

Of all the ten thousand recipes my family has made for years,

this one may be among the eldest.

baked_cod-12

Almost like my own mother, the second oldest of nine. And me, the second oldest of five.*

*And my pug DeeDee, the second oldest of two.

baked_cod-02

This dish- Butter Crumb Baked Cod- is undoubtedly among my top ten of tastes. It’s nostalgic in a Cape Cod way. It’s summer and dropped r’s and foil-wrapped peanut butter and fluff sandwiches on the beach. Jimmy Buffett, even.

All manner of delicious.

baked_cod-01

Alaska Seafood, a company I honestly adore because all of their fish is wild, natural, and sustainable, also a company I’ve worked with many times in planning the International Food Blogger Conferences, recently sent me fresh cod filets.*

baked_cod-03

*Pray for my mail carrier.

Fresh fresh, thick thick, tender tender. Alaskan cod better than any I could find at the market.

And I, New England fish and chipper that I am, told my mother to do with that cod what she does best.

baked_cod-01

So she, for her part, covered it with a melted stick of butter and a sleeve of crushed Ritz crackers.

baked_cod-04

To say that the fish comes out of the oven luscious and buttery would be a misstatement. To say that the butter comes out luscious and a bit fishy would make more sense. Which, on all accounts, is exactly what I want and need it to be.

baked_cod-06

Ingredients

• 2 pounds fresh Alaska cod, skin removed
  • salt and pepper
  • 1 sleeve Ritz crackers (about 25), coarsely crushed with your fingers
  • 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted

Instructions

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. Lay cod in a single layer in a glass baking dish or metal rimmed baking pan. Season with salt and pepper.
  3. In a small bowl, toss the crackers in the melted butter to coat. Spread and press the buttery crumbs evenly over the top of the fish. Bake 15 to 20 minutes, or until the fish is an opaque white and easily flakes with the touch of a fork.

Notes

Nutrition Information for 1 Serving (1/6th of Entire Recipe): Calories 300, Total Fat 12.8 g, Total Carbohydrate 8.3 g, Dietary Fiber 0.0 g, Sugars 0.8 g, Protein 37.5 g

Learn more about wild and fresh Alaska seafood at AlakaSeafood.org

Lori @ RecipeGirl January 19, 2012 at 2:10 pm

This recipe is near and dear to my heart. Looks delicious!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh January 19, 2012 at 2:45 pm

Ooh, this looks yummy and simple. 2 requirements for me these days! Thumbs up!

Tess January 19, 2012 at 7:40 pm

You’re killin me smalls! This looks delicious. Ps. what, may I ask, is the ETA for your book? I will there, at Barnes at Noble, 12 ‘o clock midnight, ready to pounce on the stack of books teetering on the front display of the store (I’m assuming there will be a line- I may need a tent).

admin January 20, 2012 at 5:11 am

Sand Lot references always get me going :)
The firts of two books comes out Spring 2013!

admin January 20, 2012 at 5:11 am

And by firts I mean first :)

Amy January 19, 2012 at 8:03 pm

I would be a very popular chickpea if I made this for my mum and sister! And really, butter should always be tasted!

Debra January 20, 2012 at 1:00 am

Andie,

Do you think Mahi could be subbed? No cod here.

admin January 20, 2012 at 5:12 am

Absolutely.

Heather Tullos January 20, 2012 at 5:01 am

Oh. My. Word.

I am so hungry now!

Megan (Braise The Roof) January 20, 2012 at 10:54 am

YUM. I was literally just talking about cooking things with Ritz crackers last night, I kid you not. What are the odds. In other news, I want very badly to visit Cape Cod with you.

Niki January 20, 2012 at 2:08 pm

As a Cape Cod native and Cape vacation-house home owner, I can certainly appreciate this recipe. Sooooo many Cape restaurants have entrees similar to this. YUM, YUM!!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy January 20, 2012 at 4:28 pm

You know I have never breaded anything with Ritz? It’s like I hate happiness or something.
PS hope everything is coming along with the books :)

Lauren at Keep It Sweet January 21, 2012 at 3:37 am

Wow, that looks so delicious!

kristen @ verbs and vignettes January 21, 2012 at 6:16 am

being a vegetarian… and trying to make this dish healthier, obviously…

how do we feel about putting the ritz cracker + butter topping on some macaroni and cheese, and finally going old-school with some baked mac & cheese…?

admin January 21, 2012 at 6:58 am

sounds fantastic!!

hungryandfrozen January 22, 2012 at 3:25 am

I know for sure, that I would probably end up eating at least half that crust before I managed to actually put it on the fish. Thanks for sharing your family recipe.

Dixie Redmond January 22, 2012 at 3:47 am

Am making this tonight. Simple recipes with fresh ingredients…mmmmmmmmmmmm.

Shoni January 23, 2012 at 11:15 am

Oh my gosh…as a Ritz cracker lover, this recipe looks simply divine. I will definitely be making this soon.

Thanks. :)

brandi January 24, 2012 at 6:16 am

anything with ritz crackers brings me right back to my childhood. this looks absolutely mouth wateringly buttery.

julie January 24, 2012 at 8:40 am

read this on thursday, ran to the fish market on saturday, it.was.delicious! Thanks :)

Alyson January 25, 2012 at 3:35 am

So lucky to have some fresh cod! I grew up on food like this too, in Maine. Yummy!

Alyzabeth’s Mommy

Russe Wier January 25, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I love fish and try to eat it often for the good value of it, so I will try this recipe, sounds delicious!! I think since I am in Kansas I will try it with Tilapia fish, what do you think!! :o)

LivLaughEat February 8, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Thanks for this recipe! I’d been trying to figure out a way to use the great cod we have access to and it’s become a family favorite, including for our 14 month old. I’ve also read through your history with exercise and food and can’t wait for your book to come out, what an inspiring story!

Simone February 16, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Simply delicious. I grew up on cape cod and am therefore very familiar with this recipe for cod/schrod. I’ve been home on the cape with my parents recovering from my (6th!) knee surgery, and tonight I cooked them dinner using this recipe and roasting some broccoli. This kicked butt, and since I’m not kicking much these days, I’ll take it!

I know you are abroad for the next few months, but I wanted to let you know that your story has completely inspired me. I, too, grew up in massachusetts and have carried too much weight around for almost my whole life. It has never really effected my direction in life, what I have accomplished or the friends that I have, but it has certainly effected the way I think about myself. For that reason alone, I am ready to explore what made me this way. I am moving to Arizona next month and am hoping the major change in location will allow me to completely reinvent my eating and exercise routines, and I will be able to lose some if not all of the weight that 6 knee surgeries in 10 years slowly added to my frame. I have 76 pounds to lose, including the 16+ pounds I gained back since my latest surgery in August. And away we go.

myron September 26, 2012 at 4:55 pm

this is something I fill I can make I never tried cod before wonder how this will turn out if I cook it lol Thanks for the info.

Carolina January 25, 2013 at 4:28 pm

I think Emeril swiped this recipe, he makes it with Scrod.
Scrod-Cod-Smod! It is Delicious!!!!

Sydney Fitzsimmons February 15, 2013 at 3:11 pm

I made this last night for our Valentines dinner and it was a HIT. I subbed the cod with Halibut and it was seriously amazing! Thank you!