This Writer’s Life: Plane Ticket to Paradise

by Andie Mitchell on February 1, 2012

celebritycruise-37

As a writer,

a person who lets her fingertips tap dance back and forth across a keyboard for hours each day

in coffee shops and cafes,

celebritycruise-21-1

I’m mobile.

I’m flexible in hours and location and lifestyle.

My office, my whole career, is tangled in the web. And my book- that weight loss memoir I’m penning at age 27- she’s locked up tight in a 14” PC prison.

celebritycruise-09-1

So long as I’ve got a computer, I’ve got a career. So long as my fingers remain unsprained and my mind undisturbed (who’s kidding who?), my chosen field is sprawling. Limitless, really.

And so this year,

being freer than I’ve been in many years, as a professional writer, I’m going to travel to places far away and write. Mostly because every morning that I wake up, I say to myself,

celebritycruise-29

Andie, you’re blessed and bold, go

see

do

tell

scare yourself

celebritycruise-13-1

teeter on the very ledge of your comfort zone.

Tomorrow I’m leaving the States and traveling to Central America for two and a half months of living in small beach towns, surfing communities, and jungles-

celebritycruise-22

places that hopefully embrace a gal in the same bathing suit six days out of seven, lounged and locked lips with her laptop.

But as for you and me,

what really matters here,

celebritycruise-39

not much will change. I’ll be online daily. I’ll be writing just as I always have.

I’ll still be cooking and eating lustfully, though perhaps more exotically. Which,

I think

we’ll both enjoy.

celebritycruise-01-1

And you’ll be here too, through jungle-d pictures and insect bites and sun-burned posts and *precarious adventures.

*Someone comfort my mother.

Same blog, different country.

Muffy Martini February 1, 2012 at 12:09 pm

WOW! Can’t wait to hear about your adventures! HOW EXCITING!!! THRILLING! CONGRATS!!!

BeBe February 1, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Wow. I am so envious. I hope one day to not only be in my happy physical place but to be writing, professionally, as my career.

*sigh*

Don’t forget sunscreen

Jameson Fink February 1, 2012 at 12:22 pm

Andie,

You will be missed here in Seattle but I look forward to reading about some sunny and delicious adventures. Safe travels!

Best,

Jameson

Chelsea February 1, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I did that about 10 years ago, for a full year. It was amazing! Perspective is the best thing about traveling. It will change you forever. Don’t forget about El Salvador and Nicaragua. Have fun and be safe, lucky girl!

Sandi H. February 1, 2012 at 12:33 pm

How fun! Can’t wait to read about your adventures.

Stacey February 1, 2012 at 1:52 pm

This is my dream! Someday…..when the kids are grown. What an amazing time in your life! Enjoy!

Safe travels.

Stacey

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

Travel on, adventure girl! I will be waiting to read and dream of my own adventures!

Lu February 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

I’m from Costa Rica. Are you heading in that direction by chance? I’d love to give you some of my favorite out-of-the-way destinations. You are so lucky to be able to travel like this. Safe journey, my friend. Enjoy every minute of life, at every turn. Can’t wait to hear all about your adventures.

admin February 1, 2012 at 5:51 pm

LU! Yes, I’ll be staying in Costa Rica for most of my time in Central America. First- Puerto Viejo, then Manuel Antonio. I would adore your suggestions, friend!

Bea February 2, 2012 at 6:35 am

Hi there,
I’ve been following your blog for some time now and loving every tasty morsel of it! I’m so excited to hear you’re traveling to CR! I ventured down there in 2010 for about five months and stayed for about a month in Puerto Viejo! I think I may have had a mango a day the entire month down there. Also, if you find yourself traveling through the Los Santos region, you might find yourself some avocado ice cream. YUM! Buenas suerte!

Sarah February 1, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Good for you! Enjoy every bite :)

Tracy February 1, 2012 at 3:04 pm

Doll,
I am so super excited for you! This is amazing. I am so jealous but excited to be part of your exploring. I cannot wait for what is to come. Please share all the details!

Lauren C February 1, 2012 at 3:49 pm

How exciting! Congrats!
This post couldn’t have come at a better time….I’m going to be starting a new job myself and I’m terrified-but seeing those few lines you wrote? It was reassuring….Thank you!

Katie February 1, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Is your pug and man going with you? :-D

admin February 1, 2012 at 5:54 pm

Hey K,
No, DeeDee will stay here with her mom and dad (my parents) in all her pug glory. And, sad to say that Daniel and I broke up.

Lisa February 2, 2012 at 5:27 am

Sorry to hear that, but what a perfect time to go on this adventure – Soak up EVERY MINUTE! Have a great time! Can’t wait to read about it from my boring cubicle :-)

Katie G February 3, 2012 at 6:56 am

Oh dear, I am so sorry for bringing that up then . Even more so then, I wish you the best of luck on this exciting adventure and look forward to you finishing your book–the sooner for us to read it!! I haven’t anticipated a book this badly in my life, just so you know how awesomely awesome you are to me. :-D

Be safe, eat well, and have fun!

Parita @ myinnershakti February 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Such awesome news! Enjoy!!! You deserve it!

Monica February 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

How exciting! I will be with you along your journey through Central America. Cannot wait! :)

Jodi @ Jodeexi Writes February 1, 2012 at 6:46 pm

Have a great time!! Can’t wait to follow your adventures!

Olichka February 1, 2012 at 9:51 pm

Andie,
I m truly exited for you! Can’t wait to read about your adventures out of the U.S. :)

Kristen February 1, 2012 at 10:02 pm

That’s so wonderful!!! I hope you have the best experience ever. Have you considered adopting the “Yes Man” mentality? Saying yes to any (physically safe) opportunity could make it even MORE interesting. :)

Skye (Skye Loves..) February 1, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Such fun! Have an amazing time!

hungryandfrozen February 1, 2012 at 11:20 pm

Have a deliciously thrilling time – looking forward to reading everything that unfolds.

Linda February 2, 2012 at 2:11 am

Your trip sounds so exciting and relaxing! Have a fun 2.5 month in bathing suit!

johnny February 2, 2012 at 2:38 am

I applaud you and your adventurous life! So many dream of such adventures but so very few actually live them! Good luck and Great times I pray for your journey.
Looking forward to hearing all about it!

marian @ MarianWrites February 2, 2012 at 3:09 am

Andie,

This post is so inspiring. I am currently traveling too, and am simply adoring the ability to just experience and write and LIVE. Do you have any advice for a gal who wants to keep writing, and possibly pursue it as a career? And maybe travel the world while doing so?

Thanks a million, and I hope your tropical fruit is bountiful.

Marian

Amy February 2, 2012 at 3:25 am

Oh Andie! Good luck in your travels, I hope they bring you so many wondrous adventures and delicious forays into local culture :) this year I am taking a big left turn in my career as a dietitian and am going back to graduate school to learn about writing, editing and publishing. I have to thank you for a part in this decision, you are a role model for what I would like to pursue for my profession and a source of inspiration. I wish you all the best in your new home and as a fellow gypsy, safe travels always.
xx Amy

Wendy February 2, 2012 at 3:34 am

Safe and happy travels Andie. I look forward to reading all about the wonderful places and food …

Jennifer February 2, 2012 at 4:18 am

Wow, this sounds absolutely amazing! I am so glad to have found your blog, you are a great inspiration and part of the reason I am thinking of going into writing myself. Have a fabulous trip. Cannot wait to see all the yummy food and scenery.

Ferreh February 2, 2012 at 4:34 am

I just recently started following your blog, so I’m very excited to see where your journey takes you and to live vicariously through your travels! Have fun!

Lindsay @ The Reluctant Runner February 2, 2012 at 4:45 am

Wow! That is awesome! I can’t wait to read about your travels!

klh February 2, 2012 at 4:59 am

Gosh…how exciting! Look forward to following along on your journey!

Katie

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 2, 2012 at 5:04 am

you’re doing exactly what i would do if i had your career…have fun and be bold!

Damyon February 2, 2012 at 5:24 am

I love quest stories. Please make this a quest. Let’s say, Merlin sends you on a quest to find the golden grail from which the king must drink to save his life, kind of quest. Along the way, you find out more about yourself than find the grail, which is really the quest. I send you all of my best wishes on your adventures.

Emily February 2, 2012 at 5:49 am

How exciting!!!!! I can’t wait to see what life brings you over the next few months.

Kelly February 2, 2012 at 5:54 am

How adventurous! Have fun and be safe and all that jazz! I love reading your blog and I can’t wait to read about your travels!

Lanae February 2, 2012 at 6:04 am

I am green with envy! But so glad I get to live vicariously through you and your
travels. Be safe sweet lady and ENJOY!!!

Carole February 2, 2012 at 6:12 am

So looking forward to hearing about these new adventures! Just keep telling your mom you’ll be careful. Over and over. :)

Rachel February 2, 2012 at 6:23 am

I am SO excited to read about your adventures! That’s so awesome & bold of you. ENJOY!

*Andrea* February 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

that’s sooo exciting! sounds like a dream… wish i could join ;)

Carol @ Lucky Zucca February 2, 2012 at 6:54 am

Amazing!! So happy for you!! Can’t wait to read along on your adventures. Can I come in your suitcase? :)

Shannon February 2, 2012 at 6:58 am

Safe travels! Can’t wait to read all about your adventures!!

Julie February 2, 2012 at 7:05 am

Looks amazing!! Enjoy your time away from the states and I hope it helps you write your best :)

Melissa E February 2, 2012 at 7:06 am

Congratulations. I love the thought of it and will be glad to see the pics and words along the way.

Rebecca @ Miss Magnolia Munches & Moves February 2, 2012 at 7:10 am

Oh I can’t wait to read about your adventures and see the beautiful pictures. I would say I’m jealous, but at least I kinda get to live it with you!

Ari February 2, 2012 at 7:20 am

That’s incredible! I can’t wait to follow along on your journey. Have so much fun!!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy February 2, 2012 at 7:22 am

Have an AMAZING time! I can’t wait to read about your travels. If only I could join you.. sigh.

Kelly B. February 2, 2012 at 7:35 am

Find a blooming Jacaranda tree to sit under and eat some fried plantains, black beans and rice and a Carambola for me! I am happy for you and so glad I get to read about your adventure!

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 2, 2012 at 8:55 am

Holy crap, are you serious? That is amazing! I can’t wait for stories and pictures!

LMF February 2, 2012 at 9:03 am

Wow I’m so excited to hear about all your adventures! It sounds amazing!

sarah February 2, 2012 at 9:10 am

How wonderful! Enjoy it. relish it. Your everything I hope my daughter is someday….bold, fearless, talented, loved.
xo

Mrs. Bee February 2, 2012 at 9:12 am

So, so, so exciting! I cannot wait to see/hear about this jouney. Thank you for sharing it with all of us! Safe travels!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 2, 2012 at 9:37 am

Have a great trip! Super jealous – we have talked about going to Central America for ever!
Can’t wait to see what regional recipes and activities you find!

Julie @Savvy Eats February 2, 2012 at 9:48 am

How exciting! I’m so excited to follow along with your adventures.

And then when you need something completely opposite from your tropical travels, come visit me in upstate NY ;)

shannon February 2, 2012 at 9:50 am

Now you’ve done it Andie. Pushed me right from envy to complete jealousy*. That being said….WOOOO HOOOOO!!!! You Go Girl!! ?Habla Espanol? Can’t wait to watch the adventure unfold.
*my life is truly amazing** and I am completely blessed
**not amazing like i get to just go off and live in a foreign country for two years, but amazing none the less!
!Via con Dios! y !Buena Suerte!
Shannon

Carrie February 2, 2012 at 9:53 am

Enjoy it! I’m quite jealous, but I can still be excited for you. Thank goodness you blog so that I can give us a small piece of this adventure. Bon Voyage!

Carrie February 2, 2012 at 9:54 am

Oops. I need sunshine. (I’m also a Northwesterner). That should ready so that you can give us….. That might have been a freudian slip from my envy.

Jen February 2, 2012 at 10:18 am

Awesome! That sounds amazingly brilliant. I hope you go to some places that have pupusas and plantains. Yum yum, I love ‘em. Have fun, be safe, live life!

Sara February 2, 2012 at 10:31 am

Wow, that sounds amazing!!! Enjoy and be safe and have a wonderful time :)

MomNom February 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

Holy s***! How fun!

1) I’m SO envious
2) Sad to hear about the BF…hope you’re doing well.
3) How in the world do you swing that? I need a tutorial on how to MAKE THAT HAPPEN.

joelle (on a pink typewriter) February 2, 2012 at 11:09 am

Fair winds, my friend! Have so much fun – can’t wait to see photos. Let me know if they anchor your boat near the Potomac River in upcoming months. ;)

Jacey February 2, 2012 at 12:00 pm

Weird. I was sure I’d left a comment here but now I don’t see it! I think what I said was something like:

Can I please have your life for maybe 15 minutes or so?

I’m 41 years old with a good amount of weight to lose and I want to be a real grown-up writer some day. So you’re pretty much my hero.

Can’t wait to read about all the ways you’ll be torturing your mother with your adventures!

Have fun and be safe.

Michelle in N. Cal February 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Oh wow! How exciting!!! I will be looking forward to hearing all about your adventures! Every person needs to live in another country at some point in their life if the opportunity presents itself. I did after high school and never regretted the decision. The experience is an integral part of who I am today.

Safe and happy travels to you :-)

Dolcie February 2, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Luckyyyyyyyy!!!!!

Laura Jane @ Recovering Chocoholic February 2, 2012 at 5:15 pm

Wow, that sounds amazing! I really want to travel but my 9 to 5 gives me limited vacation. However, there are plenty of opportunities to teeter on the edge of my comfort zone right here where I live. And if I’m not willing to step out of my comfort here and now, why do I think I’d do it on a grander scale if given the opportunity?
Great post! So inspiring!

Mindy February 2, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Andie, that is great! I know you will experience amazing things. It will be fun to see all these great places through your words – almost as good as being there:)

My prayers go with you for this truly fantastic opportunity – enjoy and live it up!

Taylor H February 2, 2012 at 7:42 pm

So jealous. What a wonderful thing to be able to do. Can’t wait to “travel” along!

Melissa February 3, 2012 at 3:31 pm

Andie! This is beyond thrilling! Beyond exciting! I can’t wait to come on your adventure with you!

Jenn February 3, 2012 at 4:00 pm

How exciting, you go girl! I look forward to vicariously living through your adventures on the blog!

Jessica F February 3, 2012 at 6:17 pm

So. Freaking. Amazing.

I wish you the best in your writing, adventures, and going out of your comfort zone.

Have an amazing trip. Isn’t living just wonderful?! (Besides the whole figuring out who you are and dealing with the mess life brings – important but less wonderful while in the middle of it.)

Congrats and share lots of photos, pretty please!

Kelly Jo February 4, 2012 at 10:47 am

the phrase ‘living the dream’ comes to mind. Enjoy!!!!!!!

Megan February 6, 2012 at 6:15 am

Andie I am so excited for you! You are amazing and so positive, you deserve a fantastic trip. I can not wait to hear about the adventures (food and non-food) that you will have in Central America.

Ms. O February 7, 2012 at 9:43 pm

have a great adventure Andie! I’d kill to have such freedom. it must be so exciting to be your instagram-follower *hint