Perfectly Simple Guacamole

by Andie Mitchell on February 13, 2012

punta uva 006_edited-1

If you catch wind of an avocado shortage, and

if that shortage should happen to begin and end in Costa Rica in, oh I don’t know, let’s say-

five days,

you’ll know where they’ve up and gone.

limes

punta uva 005_edited-1

Perfectly Simple Guacamole

• 3 avocados, peeled and mashed coarsely with a fork
  • juice of 1 lime (2 tablespoons)
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/4 cup minced onion (about 1/2 a small onion)
  • 1/2 medium tomato, seeded and finely diced
  • 1/2 cup packed fresh cilantro, minced
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt, or more to taste

Mix all ingredients in a medium bowl and serve immediately with tortilla chips.

Tracy February 13, 2012 at 11:11 am

YUM YUM YUM! Air mail me some?

Gina February 13, 2012 at 11:17 am

I could seriously eat entire bowl of guac in one sitting…especially with salty homemade chips, mmm!

adrianne (adie-cakes) February 13, 2012 at 11:20 am

Did you all make those tortilla chips, too? They look delicious!

Blair Yates February 13, 2012 at 11:27 am

I know this sounds gross, but if u really wanna get ur kind blown, add cottage cheese. Trust me!!!!!!

Blair Yates February 13, 2012 at 11:28 am

Mind blown I mean…

joelle (on a pink typewriter) February 13, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Mmmm love guac.. I just had some for lunch.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh February 13, 2012 at 3:16 pm

I’ve been looking for a good guac recipe because I’m getting sick of salsa alone for my salt free chips. Thank you, as always, for giving fresh, wonderful ideas for the everyday!

Jessica Leigh February 13, 2012 at 3:55 pm

Mmm. That looks amazing, especially with those chips! I’m not usually one for thicker chips but those look like the perfect compliment to that guac. I’m now off to my kitchen . . .

Shanna February 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

is there a type of avocado that you prefer when making guacamole? Just curious if you prefer one type over the other…

Skye (Skye Loves..) February 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

I love love love avocados. So unbelievably delicious. And healthy to boot.
Just sad that you can’t get very good ones in London…

Melanie February 14, 2012 at 1:44 am

I’m such a sucker for guacamole…I can’t ever let this pas by if it’s on the menu when I’m out. nothings as good as the homemade though…that’s for sure. It’s just so freakin hard to really find good avos that are ripe…or that get ripe…without turning icky.

never heard about cilantro as ingredient…got to try that the next time :)

kristin February 14, 2012 at 7:02 am

Add some cumin in there! It’s my sister’s secret guac ingredient and it makes it completely amazing!

Erin @ Dinners, Dishes, and Desserts February 14, 2012 at 10:58 am

Gorgeous! I absolutely love guacamole, this sounds perfect!

Megan (Braise The Roof) February 14, 2012 at 11:49 am

I could honestly eat guacamole and freshly fried chips and nothing else for the rest of my life and be happy. I’ll take partial blame for the avocado shortage.

Alexa @ Simple Eats February 14, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Love this recipe! I’d probably add a dash of hot sauce, though. I love spicy guac!

Courtney February 14, 2012 at 7:42 pm

I love that guac recipie – so yummy!!!! I cant remember where i found it originally, but it makes everything taste better!

Jen @ pretty plate February 15, 2012 at 5:10 am

You know I have never made homemade guacamole. I need to get on this! Thanks for sharing! Happy belated 2 year anniversary …Congrats!

: ))
Jen

Lu February 15, 2012 at 7:35 am

Have you come across something called a Limón Mandarino? It’s a lemon that has green skin and a bright orange inside. It’s amazing. Hunt those down.

Mary February 15, 2012 at 7:49 am

This looks and sounds delicious. I am new to your blog, so I took sometime to browse through your earlier posts. I’m so glad I did that. I really like the food and recipes you share with your readers and I’ll definitely be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings…Mary

Amanda February 15, 2012 at 10:29 am

Avocado is definitely God’s gift to my taste buds. And my boyfriend makes the tastiest guac ever! His recipe is very similar to yours, I think.

Heather (Heather's Dish) February 15, 2012 at 10:52 am

This guac is perfect…now if only I could find some avocados!

Jessica @ Stylish Stealthy and Healthy February 15, 2012 at 11:27 am

The problem with guac is that there is not one single problem with guac. Unless there isn’t any. That is a problem.

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 15, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Mmmm…I’m pretty sure guacamole is my favorite food. Now you have my craving some!

Maggie @ A Bitchin' Kitchen February 15, 2012 at 5:50 pm

me* that is.

Morgan February 16, 2012 at 11:00 am

I love me some Guac so I will definitely be trying this recipe out soon. Thanks for sharing.
I hope you’re enjoying your adventure on the islands, but I have a question….You haven’t really mentioned your relationship and how your man is coping with you being gone for the next 2 1/2 months? Just curious….

jess February 16, 2012 at 4:32 pm

My dream is to live someplace where I can grow avocados in my yard. I could very happy live on guacamole alone and avocado salad alone :)

Amy Potter February 20, 2012 at 12:48 am

YUM! Did you make those tortilla chips also? If so, are they deep fried? I’m looking for a recipe that’s homemade but not deep fried…

Harmony February 27, 2012 at 6:33 pm

These are the same ingredients my husband and I use. We add a little cumin, but it’s not necessary. But what really makes ours awesome is the addition of chevre (goat cheese) at the end–not mixed in smoothly, still in little chunks when you’re done. Try it, you’ll love it :^)

Wendy May 6, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Love your blog! Can you tell us how you make your tortilla chips? Thank you so much! :)

kelly December 27, 2012 at 10:33 pm

My mom makes it exactly like this, except for the garlic. She also adds a bit of her special sauce which I think is a bit of vinegar and some mashed up garlic (which is why the guac doesn’t have the garlic in it like yours).

But I add some shredded mozzarella cheese in it and its great.

Rebecca September 6, 2013 at 3:01 am

Ate those homemade chips?? Do you have a recipe?