Thai Tofu Salad with Peanut Dressing

by Andie Mitchell on March 23, 2012

thai_tofu_salad-4

It’s awfully strange to not be eating rice with cup upon cup of black beans for at least two meals per day. Spending two-ish months in Central America means:

1. Excellent gastro-intestinal health, and

2. All things pico de gallo, guacamole, hot saucy, cumin and limed, and

3. Persistent dreams involving air conditioned cars.

And now that I’m home and have nearly every type of ethnic food within twenty minutes of my house, I’m gravitating towards Asia. In fact, Asian food is so welcome in my house right now that I told her she could put her belongings in my dresser and stay forever.

Next adventure: Thailand?

thai_tofu_salad-3

This salad is fresh. Springtime. Light. Crisp enough to be satisfying. I love the play of texture and Thai flavor. Coconut milk meets peanut butter, hands her a bouquet of cilantro, and spritzes her with lime.

The peanut sauce is, well, so smooth and delicious you’d consider it a *milkshake

*in a pinch, obviously.

thai_tofu_salad-2

Thai Tofu Salad with Peanut Dressing

• 1 cup rice noodles, cooked
  • 1 cup snow pea pods
  • 1 cup sliced carrots
  • 1 cup cauliflower florets
  • 1 cup broccoli florets
  • 2 cups chopped romaine lettuce
  • 1/2 cup Easy No Cook Thai Peanut Sauce (about half of the recipe)
  • 1 block (about 14 oz) firm tofu, diced and grilled or pan-fried
  1. After cooking the rice noodles, drain and toss them with two teaspoons oil to prevent them from sticking together. Set aside.
  2. Blanch the pea pods, carrots, cauliflower, and broccoli in simmering water for 2 minutes, just until they soften slightly yet remain crisp to the bite.
  3. Toss the blanched vegetables with the rice noodles, romaine, and peanut sauce until well combined. Divide among two dishes and top with the cooked tofu. This can be eaten warm or cold.

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 23, 2012 at 5:36 am

This looks gorgeous!

Were you gone 2 months!? Man that FLEW by! I hope it didn’t for you. ;)

Sandra Cruz March 23, 2012 at 9:16 am

I know this will sound weird but man, I LOVE U….lol jejejejejeje ok no for real, your blog is so moving. I can’t help but to read and re-read it again. I love your pictures and stories. I felt like I was part of your Central American trip and I am from C.A. I have bookmarked you and I look forward to your post. Also the recipe looks great. I just started cooking Thai so I will try it for sure, just need to figure out servings and cals for it. Best of luck in all your adventures. :)

Alisa Berg March 23, 2012 at 11:28 am

Wecome Back! That salad look refreshing! Are you back for good? I thought you were Manuel Antonio, Costa Rica in April?

Rose March 23, 2012 at 3:38 pm

“Next adventure: Thailand?”

That would be excellent, Australia is a hop, skip and jump from there.

One thing I struggle with with Asian food is peanut butter: I don’t eat it. Do you think almond butter would work as well?

Anna March 23, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Look how tan you are next to your sisters!

Anna March 23, 2012 at 5:00 pm

Hmm, I seem to have left that comment on the wrong entry. I was also going to add that my girl pug has that same pink harness!

Krystina (Krystina Zena) March 23, 2012 at 7:09 pm

I have a recent obsession with peanut sauce. So much so, that I had the same meal 3 times last week: tofu, broccoli, bell pepper and brown rice covered in peanut sauce and salted cashews. YUM.

Ali March 24, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Welcome back! This looks delicious.

hungryandfrozen March 25, 2012 at 3:05 am

Have enjoyed catching up on all your gorgeous travel photos. The world is, as they say, your oyster – why not Asia next indeed? I’m a peanut sauce fiend, but this has reminded me that I haven’t made it in forever…thanks :)

Mica March 25, 2012 at 10:15 am

I remember reading one of your posts about Korea, so I definitely think you should head there next!

Megan March 25, 2012 at 7:55 pm

Oh my goodness this looks so delicious and I am going to make it ASAP.

Rose March 26, 2012 at 3:24 am

Thailand is a great choice, there are so many FRESH products and produce here. If you are committed and need any advice let me know (I’ve been living in Thailand almost ten months now, it’s great!)

Lisa March 28, 2012 at 8:59 am

It must be true, great minds think a like. Last March I went to Costa Rica and I just got back from Thailand a week ago. It was awesome! If you have any questions or need any information let me know!

Tami April 3, 2012 at 5:52 am

I made this last night and oh my! It was so tasty! Rice noodles and peanut sauce were my ramen in the college years. This would have been WAY better. I have to work on cooking that tofu correctly, other than that, amazing meal.

Brie September 28, 2012 at 9:31 am

Hi, Andie.

I could gush, but I’ll spare you. :o) Love your site, and will comment more later.

For now…truly…is tofu…er….[gulp]….good?!

I arrive in the produce department. I finish separating and twisting those pesky plastic bags, full of all varieties of “happiness”, grining from ear to ear because all of my items are crossed off my checklist, and then I see it. The tofu. How can one product taste like so many different things? I get nervous: could they make tires out this stuff?! Linens?! A spiral notebook?? Sheesh! A Food Network show boasted that the noodles are a satisfying pasta sub. I’m just skeptical.

Is it passible to have Tofu Failure, and how should one go about avoiding this?

Thanks!
Brie

Jen January 21, 2013 at 8:11 pm

I absolutely love Thai food – Korean, Vietnamese, Chinese, and Japanese, too! This looks delicious and I will most certainly be making it in the future. Thanks!