An Ideal Day of Eating in Photos

by Andie Mitchell on March 25, 2012

balanced_breakfast

300 ish calories: 1 whole wheat english muffin with 1 tablespoon peanut butter, 1 tablespoon jam. I prefer Food For Life brand Sprouted Grain for the muffins.
+100-150 calories: 1 cup lowfat yogurt. I do not eat non-fat varieties because of taste and texture.
+100 calories: 1 piece of fruit- example: grapefruit

OR

last days puerto 004

miraflores_bfast

150 calories: 2 eggs cooked over easy
150-200 calories: 2 slices of 100% whole grain toast
100 calories: 2 teaspoons butter (50) and 1 tablespoon jam (50)
80-100 calories: 1-2 cups fruit

Breakfast: 500 calories

caesar_salad-6

200 calories: 6 oz (ish) grilled chicken breast
+100 calories: 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
+100 calories: 2 tablespoons Caesar salad dressing
+50 calories: unlimited, massive quantity of fresh vegetables in salad
+100 calories: super sweet apple/any deliciously ripe fruit, eaten after the salad

OR

salad-07

OR

salad-13

See this post to learn more about my salad-centricity.

Lunch: 500 calories

greek_yogurt-1

4936171286_9b1b57a489_o

150 calories: Fage 2% greek yogurt (7 ounces)- my absolute favorite brand
+100 calories: 2 cups assorted berries/fresh fruit

Snack: 250 calories

chicken_teriyaki_stir_fry-11

chicken_teriyaki_stir_fry-08

brown rice (1)

200 calories: 6 ounces chicken breast
+100 calories: a boatload of stir fried vegetables (bell pepper, onion, carrot, red cabbage, broccoli)
+100 calories: 1/4 cup or so- sweet teriyaki sauce (my favorite stir fry recipe here)
+200 calories: 1 cup brown rice

OR

2.27.11 083

Honey Barbecue Meatloaf with Parmesan Mashed Cauliflower and Salad

OR

tuna_burger

Lemon Garlic Tuna Burger with a baked sweet potato and roasted asparagus

Dinner: 500 calories

dark_chocolate_almond_joy_cookies

100 calories: 1 cup lowfat milk or yogurt
+200 calories: 2-3 homemade Dark Chocolate Almond Joy cookies

OR

any sweet delight that falls a hair under 300 calories, often including a side of pineapple and/or strawberries

Dessert: 300 calories

Total Calories for the Day: 2000ish

What does your ideal day look like?

Jodi @ Jodi, Fat or Not March 25, 2012 at 8:31 pm

I just made the switch from nonfat greek to 2% – SO much better! That stuff is addicting! I’m eating around 1400 right now, but still in weight loss mode. I love your break down..I guess the calorie counting never ends haha. As usual..all the food looks delicious!

Ari @ Ari's Menu March 25, 2012 at 9:54 pm

Pretty much just like that. Except with fro yo as dessert :)

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh March 26, 2012 at 4:34 am

Looks wonderful! Thanks for the ideas!

jessica March 26, 2012 at 5:41 am

You’re the best.

Jojo March 26, 2012 at 6:38 am

That looks soooo yummy :P
I am trying to eat more raw foods. Breakfast is usually a green smoothie or oatmeal with fruit. A huge salad for lunch. Fruit, Clif bar, or smoothie for a snack. For dinner, anything goes. Sometimes I feel lazy and fix myself a bowl of cereal, yogurt, and fruit. Otherwise, I’ll make myself another salad.

Tess March 26, 2012 at 6:44 am

Let me tell you how helpful this was to a recovering anorexic. As small as this may seem to you, it was invaluable to me.

Ana Maria March 27, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Amen! Andie’s helped me a lot of “normal eating” along the way. And just so you know Tess – I’ve been eating like this for a while now! It feels amazing. You CAN get there, I know it!

Tess March 27, 2012 at 6:44 pm

THANK YOU for your encouraging words.

Caitlin C March 26, 2012 at 6:49 am

Thank you for this post! I have a really hard time eating breakfast and really appreciate your ideas!

Jessica March 26, 2012 at 7:08 am

My very favorite breakfast is 3/4 c. Uncle Sam cereal adorned with sliced banana and 1 tbsp. TJ’s dried wild blueberries, topped off with 3/4 c. vanilla almond milk.
So delicious, I’m fully satiated all morning – and it’s under 400 calories!

Parita @ myinnershakti March 26, 2012 at 7:40 am

Love this! I’m curious to know what your thoughts are on the quality of the calories versus pure quantity. I’ve been reading a bit about this and have mixed thoughts.

Mildly Entertained March 27, 2012 at 6:42 pm

That is interesting. I was reading something the other day from Dr. Dukan (a big-time Doctor/author in the U.K) where he talked about how low-calorie diets have been the cause of all the overweight/yo-yo cycling, etc. issues in the world. He believes we aren’t made for low-calorie diets and it’s not healthy and actually makes us fat (or puts us in the binge/diet mode over and over). He advocates eating healthy foods of course – but in the amounts till we are satisfied (unlimited lean proteins, vegetables, fruits and fibrous whole-grains like oat bran). Just one opinion but interesting!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) March 26, 2012 at 8:01 am

I have no idea how many calories I should be eating. Online calculators tell me anything from 1200-2000 for how tall I am and how much weight I’d like to lose (ideally 10 pounds, and I am 5’4 132 lbs). So I try to stick to under 1500 to be safe.

Can you do more posts like this? I’m pretty calorie illiterate and it’d be good to have a structure to follow when I craft my own diet plan!

what katie's baking July 28, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Hi, Bee! I’m 5’4 and I eat anywhere from 1800-2300 a day and maintain 125 lb.

Susannah March 26, 2012 at 9:28 am

Thanks for sharing this! I loved it! I’d love to see more!

shauna March 26, 2012 at 9:42 am

Oh it all looks so lovely and balanced and tasty! I’m a fellow Fage 2% fan here. That extra 2% ups the pleasure by at least 107%! (scientifically proven, I’m sure) I visited a friend in Greece and discovered they have a 5% version which was just that little bit more swoony… hehe! :)

Bianca @ Confessions of a Chocoholic March 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

That does sound pretty ideal to me! I’m not very good at counting calories but I’m trying to be more conscious so this is really helpful.

Jaclyn March 26, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Well, since I’m dieting…down about 20 lbs whooo hoo….my ideal day looks a lot different than it used to. Breakfast: Wheat toast or english muffin with hard boiled egg on top and a coffee with flavored creamer Lunch: (Hopefully with a friend!) A great teriyaki place serves bowls with steamed veggies, brown rice and salmon–I skip the sauce OR a Mediterranean place makes amazing chicken salads Dinner: Chicken, some roasted broccoli (Ina Garten style) and then maybe a Skinny Cow Chocolate Truffle ice cream bar for dessert. I have been documenting my food on an app, which helps. I have to say….2000 calories sounds like a LOT of food to me, even though its all healthy. I think I will tap into your archives when I get into maintnance mode. :)

T March 26, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Loved this post! Thank you for the insight. You are an inspiration! :)

Mindy March 26, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Well, the last few days have not been nearly this good. But fresh start tomorrow – though my photos would probably not turn out nearly as pretty!

Powelly March 26, 2012 at 4:23 pm

This looks truly amazing – is there any chance of a higher cal version on the horizon? Something around 3000-3500 calories for guys trying to bulk on good, healthy food?

Ana Maria March 27, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Yes! I’m not a guy but I know many guys who would appreciate this!

Kati Mora, MS, RD, Kellogg's FiberPlus(R) Wellness Advocate March 27, 2012 at 4:54 am

All of these foods look so great! I especially love all the fiber-rich options you’ve included – so important for overall health! My ideal day would also include many of these same foods – Greek yogurt, berries, a hearty salad – foods that are filling yet light.

LG March 27, 2012 at 7:59 am

I, too, eat around 2000 cals per day…it’s very similar to your diet, except that I prettymuch have two breakfasts. One of around 400 cals at 6:30 a.m., and another of around 300 cals at 9:30. I don’t usually have the snack between lunch and dinner though.

For anyone who is struggling with an E.D., please know you can eat “this much” and still be at a “happy” weight. I’ll just put it out there…I’m 5 ft 7 and 130 lbs…have been this weight for about 10 years now. Life is much better than when I was trying to only eat 1200 calories/day. Better mentally, socially, emotionally, and physically.

WandaT March 28, 2012 at 7:41 am

Thanks for posting this…I have recently discovered this blog and while I find the whole blog pretty encouraging, I also really appreciate comments like yours, especially as someone who has struggled with an ED and is trying to lose some weight in a healthy way.

megan March 27, 2012 at 5:15 pm

My first time visiting your blog was yesterday when someone linked me to your Creamy Chicken and Cornbread Casserole recipe. I read that post and was struck by how many times you could type the word Fluff in one story. I thought ‘surely she is a New Englander!’ In my search to find out if you truly were, I came across your story and loved it. Love the blog too. I’m sure I will stop in again from time to time.Wicked good. Thank you!

Anne March 27, 2012 at 7:14 pm

This all looks so delicious! What gorgeous food :)

Dana March 27, 2012 at 7:26 pm

That all looks amazing and healthy but what were you eating while losing weight? My starting weight and stats are the same as yours and my goal is … Well you are living at my goal. 35 pounds lost to date. Unfortunately I don’t have any trips to Italy planned to allow me to walk everywhere and eat gelato (darn my bad luck).

Trish March 28, 2012 at 6:29 pm

The cookies are quite possibly the best ever… I made a batch last night, and they are disappearing a little quicker than I would like them to considering that I live alone… Must make more.

Kylie March 29, 2012 at 6:26 pm

This post is beautiful…I love it. The variety of meals you give to choose from really makes this meal plan great for anyone. And you present it in such a simple, clean way that it’s easy to follow and it all looks So. Very. Delicious. I’m making that meatloaf and those tuna burgers as soon as I can! : )

Megly April 15, 2012 at 5:46 pm

Out of curiosity- sincere question- on an ideal day, would you really eat yogurt 2 or 3 times? I eat it a few times a week, usually have to kind of “force it down” because it helps me lose weight but it’s not my absolute favorite thing to eat. Long story short, just curious if you really eat yogurt three times a day.

Have a great week :D hope you made your book deadline ok!

admin April 16, 2012 at 7:13 am

Hey Megly! Yes, I eat yogurt like an absolute addict. Multiple times per day :) I’m in love with the taste and texture
Thanks for writing me!