Pineapple Slaw with Creamy Ginger Lime Dressing

3.19 090

I’d like to say I made this slaw to celebrate spring verging on summer weather,

but really,

I made it to remind me of the two things I ate most often in Central America: pineapple and cabbage.

I’m missing sweet and tart together on every plate, brightness and freshness at every meal.

This is my latest remedy.

3.19 087

Pineapple Slaw with Creamy Ginger Lime Dressing

• 1/4 cup thick Greek plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage- green or napa
  • ¼ cup minced scallions
  • 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
  • ½ cup sliced almonds

In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, ginger, salt, pepper, lime, sugar, and oil. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss cabbage, scallions, pineapple, and almonds. Pour the yogurt mixture over the top and toss to combine, making sure all of the cabbage is coated. Cover and place the dressed slaw in the refrigerator to allow flavors to blend for at least 1 hour before serving.

serves 4-6

Comments

1. jaclyn says

Question…..1/4 cup oil…..could you make it without? Or maybe with olive oil? I think I would rather have some butter I can taste, than oil in my dressing? What do you think? Trying to get the most bang for my buck and I’m always nervous that dressing is a diet killer.

2. Camille Willemain says

I can’t tell you how nostalgic that made me feel. I want to be on our deck devouring a papaya as big as my thigh, watching you eat a pineapple, neck to bottom, while Aureliano’s puppies scamper up our steps begging for scraps under the table. I would die.

• admin says

Hey Mary, you can omit the yogurt altogether if you’d like and the slaw will still have plenty of flavor. Or try coconut milk yogurt- found at Whole Foods- if you still want that creaminess.

3. Debbie says

Just found your blog last week and have been scouring and enjoying it since! I’ve already made the Roasted Broccoli, Butter & Herb Roasted Chicken, and I’m planning the Stuffed Peppers for tonight. Now this?!? It looks amazing! Oh well, back to the market for some fresh pineapple and cabbage.

Bravo on your success, your happiness, your zest for cooking and for life.

4. Tracy says

Hmmmmmmmm – I have a mango instead of pineapple and perhaps a stop at the fish market for some salmon and I’d be heaven!

5. says

what a fabulous spin on slaw, bookmarked! had to tell u too that i referred my boss to your site for a great white cupcake recipe and she ended up making them – said they were fantastic – thanks for that one lady 😉

6. says

I made this for lunch today and love the flavor combination, but wish I had used full-fat yogurt instead of 2%. That lower-fat aftertaste (am I the only one who ever tastes this?) kind of sticks with you. Next time I will take Andie’s suggestion of using just the oil, and a dollop of full-fat yogurt.

7. Vickie Chachere says

I am heading into the kitchen to make this for our Easter dinner. Of course, I forgot to buy yogurt so will have to improvise or leave it out all together. Hmm, maybe a little mayo and a little more lime juice to keep it tangy? Thank you Andie for contributing something wonderful to our family dinner!

8. Angela says

OMG! This and the coconut panko chicken strips made for one tasty dinner! My hubby and 2 yo daughter and I devoured both!

9. Susan says

I just made the pineapple slaw and, WOW! Is it good. The only changes I made were omitting the oil and adding lemon zest. Also used regular organic yogurt. Really yummy, definately a keeper. I can’t wait for my boyfriend to try it. Thanks Andie! Glad I found you :)

Trackbacks