Pineapple Slaw with Creamy Ginger Lime Dressing

by Andie Mitchell on April 1, 2012

3.19 090

I’d like to say I made this slaw to celebrate spring verging on summer weather,

but really,

I made it to remind me of the two things I ate most often in Central America: pineapple and cabbage.

I’m missing sweet and tart together on every plate, brightness and freshness at every meal.

This is my latest remedy.

3.19 087

Pineapple Slaw with Creamy Ginger Lime Dressing

• 1/4 cup thick Greek plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
  • Salt and pepper
  • 3 tablespoons lime juice
  • 2 tablespoons sugar
  • 1/4 cup canola or vegetable oil
  • 2 cups shredded cabbage- green or napa
  • ¼ cup minced scallions
  • 2 cups diced fresh pineapple
  • ½ cup sliced almonds

In a small bowl, whisk yogurt, ginger, salt, pepper, lime, sugar, and oil. Set aside.

In a large bowl, toss cabbage, scallions, pineapple, and almonds. Pour the yogurt mixture over the top and toss to combine, making sure all of the cabbage is coated. Cover and place the dressed slaw in the refrigerator to allow flavors to blend for at least 1 hour before serving.

serves 4-6

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 1, 2012 at 5:56 pm

That looks simply amazing. I can’t wait to try it!

jaclyn April 1, 2012 at 6:09 pm

Question…..1/4 cup oil…..could you make it without? Or maybe with olive oil? I think I would rather have some butter I can taste, than oil in my dressing? What do you think? Trying to get the most bang for my buck and I’m always nervous that dressing is a diet killer.

admin April 2, 2012 at 10:19 am

Hey Jaclyn! Feel free to leave out the oil and increase the yogurt to 1/2 cup.
-Andie

Lea @ Healthy Coconut April 1, 2012 at 6:25 pm

The dish looks so fresh, food tropical island style. I would love to add some mangoes into this mix.

Katie@Cozydelicious April 1, 2012 at 7:03 pm

Oooh, this looks wonderful! So fresh and tropical! Would be perfect with some grilled shrimp and coconut rice. Yum!

Camille Willemain April 1, 2012 at 10:29 pm

I can’t tell you how nostalgic that made me feel. I want to be on our deck devouring a papaya as big as my thigh, watching you eat a pineapple, neck to bottom, while Aureliano’s puppies scamper up our steps begging for scraps under the table. I would die.

Rubee April 2, 2012 at 5:55 am

This looks pretty good and healthy too! Will definitely try it!

Mary April 2, 2012 at 7:23 am

Yum! Love your blog! What would you suggest for a dairy-free version?

admin April 2, 2012 at 10:20 am

Hey Mary, you can omit the yogurt altogether if you’d like and the slaw will still have plenty of flavor. Or try coconut milk yogurt- found at Whole Foods- if you still want that creaminess.

Debbie April 2, 2012 at 11:43 am

Just found your blog last week and have been scouring and enjoying it since! I’ve already made the Roasted Broccoli, Butter & Herb Roasted Chicken, and I’m planning the Stuffed Peppers for tonight. Now this?!? It looks amazing! Oh well, back to the market for some fresh pineapple and cabbage.

Bravo on your success, your happiness, your zest for cooking and for life.

Kayte April 2, 2012 at 12:07 pm

This will be replacing Waldorf Potato Salad at our house for Easter dinner. So yummy! I can’t wait!

j3nn April 2, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Oh that’s a wonderful idea; pineapple in slaw! Yum. Sweet and tangy sounds so yummy. I’ll have to try that soon. :)

Heather (Heather's Dish) April 2, 2012 at 12:22 pm

i’m completely beside myself…this sounds AMAZING!

Frugal Portland April 2, 2012 at 1:26 pm

This slaw sounds great! I need to make an “I am ready for summer” dinner, and this will go on that menu!

Sierra April 2, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Ummm…YUM. I will be making this ASAP.

Lindsey April 2, 2012 at 3:14 pm

Do you have the nutritional info for this? It look sooooo yummy

Tracy April 2, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Hmmmmmmmm – I have a mango instead of pineapple and perhaps a stop at the fish market for some salmon and I’d be heaven!

stephanie @cookinfanatic April 3, 2012 at 5:43 am

what a fabulous spin on slaw, bookmarked! had to tell u too that i referred my boss to your site for a great white cupcake recipe and she ended up making them – said they were fantastic – thanks for that one lady ;)

Megan (Braise The Roof) April 3, 2012 at 10:22 am

I too have a sweet spot in my heart for cabbage- you know I love my cruciferous veggies. :) This looks fantastic.

Elizabeth April 3, 2012 at 10:57 am

I made this for lunch today and love the flavor combination, but wish I had used full-fat yogurt instead of 2%. That lower-fat aftertaste (am I the only one who ever tastes this?) kind of sticks with you. Next time I will take Andie’s suggestion of using just the oil, and a dollop of full-fat yogurt.

hungryandfrozen April 3, 2012 at 8:33 pm

I love how surprisingly versatile slaw can be.
Hope the flavour does the trick till your next travel adventures :)

Nhan April 4, 2012 at 9:14 am

It’s delicious ^^

Sarah April 5, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I love your blog! Would you mind if I pin some recipes on Pinterest?

Vickie Chachere April 8, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I am heading into the kitchen to make this for our Easter dinner. Of course, I forgot to buy yogurt so will have to improvise or leave it out all together. Hmm, maybe a little mayo and a little more lime juice to keep it tangy? Thank you Andie for contributing something wonderful to our family dinner!

Tiffany Youngren April 20, 2012 at 8:19 am

Oh my gosh – I cannot wait to try this! Ginger and lime is such an amazing combo, and what a great idea to put it with pineapple. Mmmmm…..

Angela February 28, 2013 at 10:46 pm

OMG! This and the coconut panko chicken strips made for one tasty dinner! My hubby and 2 yo daughter and I devoured both!

Susan August 30, 2013 at 4:20 pm

I just made the pineapple slaw and, WOW! Is it good. The only changes I made were omitting the oil and adding lemon zest. Also used regular organic yogurt. Really yummy, definately a keeper. I can’t wait for my boyfriend to try it. Thanks Andie! Glad I found you :)