Nearing the book deadline

by Andie Mitchell on April 9, 2012

andie_beach4

Friends,

the book- that memoir manuscript I’m clickety clicking away on my computer-

it’s due this Sunday, April 15th. Appropriately Tax Day, when I’ll have been sufficiently emotionally and physically spent.

me_starbucks2

The book- all weight loss and body struggles and love of food- it won’t be published until next spring, March or April of 2013.

celebritycruise-40-1

And by then I’ll be doing book tours around my parents’ home, reading aloud to Dee in a different room each night.

dee_bed2

She’ll dismiss the book as wildly narcissistic and trite.

dee_bed3

I’ll feel insecure and remind her- “this is about me, Dee. I’m telling secrets and stories that make up my life.”

dee_bed

But she’ll already have fallen asleep, so utterly bored with me.

Back to the matter at hand: the book.

I’m spending the week writing and rewriting and then rewriting everything I’ve put on paper in the past nine months.

For fun, I thought I’d share two websites that I love:

PostSecret- a site where anonymous people send in postcards with one of their secrets written on them. The secrets range from semi-funny to intensely moving.

1000 Awesome Things- a list of life’s small and happy things.

These sites are interesting and thoughtful and they’ll stay with you while I’m writing this week*

*writing shall include but not be limited to any and all of the following: insomnia, Red Bull, coffee, coffee, coffee, binge eating, coffee, emotional rollercoasters, angst, sincere self doubt, and a heavy dependence on non-habit forming substances such as:

whites_pastry_shop-10-1

and

whites_pastry_shop-24

Alice April 9, 2012 at 10:22 am

Literally, literally cannot wait. They should publish it in March for my birthday, it’ll be top of my list.
Good luck with the final push!
Come and do a book tour in England, I’ll come to all your readings!

The Mrs @ Success Along the Weigh April 9, 2012 at 11:24 am

That will make the perfect pre-anniversary present for me from the Mr next year! :)

Beth Flynn April 9, 2012 at 11:50 am

I cant wait to buy this book. I am inspired by your writing. At 237 pounds and 45 years old, I was not too unhappy with my body, but boy was it unhappy with me. All of a sudden I hurt all the dang time and keeping up with the 12 year old became tougher and tougher. Then my husband’s MS got much, much worse and the idea of pushing his 250 pounds around in a wheelchair or having to lift him made me cringe. Life makes you look at what your doing and reminds you of WHY you need to be healthy. For those around you who love you and so that you may be around for those you love. :) Thank you!

Juli April 9, 2012 at 1:08 pm

May I kindly disagree? Cupcakes are habit forming LOL!

Mary April 9, 2012 at 3:27 pm

You write from the heart and are amazingly honest – there is nothing trite in that. People love to read stuff like what you are writing because it is real, it is honest and it ‘could be them’ – you aren’t Kim K or Paris or some other flavour of the month. You are a real, down-to-earth, woman who has struggled with issues that so many of us have (but without having a personal chef or training 4 hours a day whilst eating 600 calories in order to drop from a size 4 to a size 0).

So as you sit at Starbucks worried that nobody will read it/like it/buy it…know that a great number of people will. Because you provide something that there is so little of left in the world: HOPE.

Robin Schott April 9, 2012 at 3:36 pm

Hi, I found your site and just LOVE it..I read all about your journey, peace with food, exercise history etc…I haven’t even gotten to the food yet, but I KNOW I like what I see here. Your attitude is AMAZING and I’m so impressed with your results. Like someone else who had replied to your history, its so nice to see someone go through the same things we all are, and actually come out the other side with some good news..you dont have to KILL yourself for the rest of your life..

I can not WAIT for the book!!!

Will you be sending some type of Blast out when it is finally published and available?

Thanks for brightening my day and my journey.. cant wait to continue reading and discovering on your site.

Sincerely,

Robin Schott

Bridget April 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am beyond excited for your book to come out. I tell everyone I know about your blog and your story. I talk about you to my friends like you have been my friend all my life…”Oh and today Andie… and last week Andie said…” They laugh and move on, not fully understanding the significance your story has in my life. Thank you.

CB April 9, 2012 at 7:35 pm

Good Luck with the writing this week! With a pug in your life, you can’t go wrong!

Mary S April 9, 2012 at 8:55 pm

Andie, I just found you recently and I am so thankful its happened sooner rather than later :) I can’t wait to read your book, I know it will be inspiring. Right now I’m on my own personal weight loss journey (100+ lbs) and I’ve re-read your journey so many times to get me through tough times and to help me get back on track. Thank you so much for doing this blog and writing your story- I only hope that I get a chance to meet you at some point during your book tour next year! Sending lots of love and luck your way! <3

johnny April 10, 2012 at 4:39 am

Andie, What can I say. It has been a wonderful journey with you and your writing. The book is a dream we all have had but only you could make come true. It is easy for me to say you have nothing to be anxious about, as far as I’m concerned you couldn’t put anything on paper that wouldn’t hold me, but it’s not me writing is it. Have faith that your faithful readers know you and would not let you down when we all say “You are the BEST and will always be!!” You have made us all look deep into ourselves as you have shared you, and good or bad you have helped us all. And by the way Juli is right cupcakes are VERY habit forming!! :) Lots of Love going your way!

Ariel April 10, 2012 at 6:25 am

Good Luck! Knowing you and your writing it will be fabulous no doubt.

Lanae April 10, 2012 at 7:08 am

Everyone is being so sweet and patient. Not me, nope, I am annoyed that I have to wait so long to read your book!! (just kidding, kind of). Seriously you are an inspiration and I am excited to not only read your book but for where your life will go next. Thank you for sharing so much of you with all of us!!

Carol @ Lucky Zucca April 10, 2012 at 7:14 am

Best of luck!! I’m certain whatever you’ve come up with is absolutely brilliant! Like everyone else, I’m very much looking forward to the final copy.

Carol @ Lucky Zucca April 10, 2012 at 7:14 am

**final PRODUCT, not copy :D

Trish April 10, 2012 at 11:25 am

Ok….I’ve been all off kilter lately. Not hearing from you on a daily basis, wanting to know more about your trip, just knowing you are ok and still out there. In your absense I’ve been pacing the halls, drinking extra coffee, eating all sorts of cupcakes in your honor :)or should I say white cake.

and now I know….

you’ve been busy working on your book. The very book that I can’t wait to purchase. The book that I will hold dearly and say to myself “hey self, I know Andie, I check in with her every day on my trusty laptop” :)

So now I will get back to life as I know it knowing you are extra busy making your deadline and hoping to hear from you next week!

Nicole from Loving Simple Moments April 10, 2012 at 4:16 pm

I cannot wait to walk into a bookstore and see your book there! And I shall tell everyone in the aisle that the amazing author is a bloggy friend of mine. And then I shall buy copies for every friend in my life, because they deserve to hear this story. :) If you can’t guess, I am SO happy and excited for you!

Samantha April 10, 2012 at 7:30 pm

I’m so looking forward to it! I can’t get enough of your insights and I know I’m not just one of a few. Good luck!

Mildly Entertained April 10, 2012 at 7:46 pm

Congrats on your achievements so far! It must be scary putting yourself out there so much. I’ve considered writing a memoir myself one day but feel that it’s too overwhelming and actually pulls me down more into those depressive years. I just want to find light now :)

Oh – and those last pictures – ARE addictive substances!

Shelly April 10, 2012 at 8:22 pm

I am SO excited to buy your book. I love your blog and think that you are amazingly inspirational!

Cait April 10, 2012 at 8:45 pm

Oh I can’t wait to read it!! If you ever do a book signing in MA please tell! Id love to meet you, you are such an inspiration!

Cait

Kelly April 11, 2012 at 7:44 am

I can’t wait to see your book, Andie. I love to “read you.” My Rowdy (Puggle) seems to have the same tendencies as Dee does.

I’m hoping I can get back in control of my weight again soon. I wish the book was due out sooner….

Janna April 11, 2012 at 10:12 am

Can’t wait to buy your book next spring! Does it have a title yet? Can you share the title?

SO EXCITING! Best of luck this week!

*Andrea* April 11, 2012 at 10:19 am

this is so exciting!!! do your parents still live in MA? If so, I really hope I can attend a book signing!

I love post secret too. Reading the posts helps me feel so many different emotions.

Ari @ Ari's Menu April 11, 2012 at 10:21 am

I can’t wait to read your book!! You have such a way with words and your story resonates with me so much!

Bee (Quarter Life Crisis Cuisine) April 11, 2012 at 10:55 am

Best of luck to you lady! After a while with no posts, I was quite happy to see THREE from you today :)

Tracy April 11, 2012 at 10:57 am

Oh Andie. I am so super proud of you and cannot wait to get a hardcover copy in my paws. I mean I will be coming to a book signing and finally meeting you! Can Dee come too? YAY <3

Amy B @ Second City Randomness April 11, 2012 at 11:19 am

Congrats, my dear! You’re almost there! I’m so proud and excited for you. :)

Much love from Chicago!

Laney April 11, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hi Andie, I have followed your blog for a while but this is the first time I’m leaving a comment. Good luck with the book and I’m sure it will turn out amazing! By the way, you have the cutest pug in the world. She is such a bundle of joy!

Michelle in N. Cal April 11, 2012 at 11:53 am

I am so excited for your book too! Good luck on your next phase of the writing journey. Luckily summer is on its way so the sunshine hopefully will help! (I know it always does for me ;-)

I recently bought my daughter The Book of Awesome and the whole family loves it. I will check out PostSecret.

{{Hugs!!!}}

Mindy April 11, 2012 at 1:35 pm

I’ll be in the line wrapped around the bookstore, latte in hand – can’t wait!!

Cindy April 11, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Go, Andie, go! War face time! >:(

Kate April 11, 2012 at 5:17 pm

I found your site through Pinterest, and kinIjustsay, I am very much looking forward to reading your book. I’m not heavy, but I’m not naturally “thin” (never eaten junk food, some stuff is genetic). It’s difficult to find a cook with such a balanced view on cooking- I can’t eat Pasta Bolognese with whole milk every night any more than I can eat seitan wrapped in raw kale. I can, and will, eat your recipes and take inspiration to get up from your writing.

What I mean is: I appreciate what you’re doing, lady, so please do keep doing it!

Melissa April 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Aw. I love pugs! :) Can’t wait for your book! Will be praying for you & wishing you well as you approach the deadline!

hungryandfrozen April 11, 2012 at 11:44 pm

Good luck with the deadline! How utterly exciting. Don’t let canine ennui get you down :)

Linda April 12, 2012 at 12:12 am

Good luck for finishing the book! It’ll be great!

April April 12, 2012 at 6:03 am

2013!!! how can I wait that long!?!?
=)
good luck in wrap up! clearly I cant wait for the book to come out!

Emily April 12, 2012 at 7:06 am

love your blog and cant wait for the book to come out. your journey has inspired me to get healthy and happy on the inside and out. (outwardly lose that pesky 10 pounds) and be fit. i just the started my own blog. would love and appreciate any advice etc.

Jo @ Jo In the Kitchen April 12, 2012 at 7:31 am

Keep your chin up and go get ‘em tiger!

Natasha April 12, 2012 at 1:42 pm

I found you last night – and there are no words at times…for me at least. I’m inspired, moved, amazed, happy, relieved, and above all thankful for your blog – and for you.

Yes – I can stay for dinner…and infact lingered over your site while making dinner – go figure…

You are not only beautiful obviously inside and out, but your insanely brilliant! The deadly combo would prove too much for the faint of spirit! :)

I have so many questions – one of which would be related to skin surgery…yikes…I said it…I’m on a journey of physical transformation myself and I worry…if this is topic is too personal – I humbly apologize and understand.

Love and light to you – I CANNOT WAIT to read your book eventually – go Girl!

Natasha April 12, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Oh – my attached pic is 6 years old – and missy over here is ++++++ pounds in the positive…sorry for the type o’s~ Natasha

Amy Mo April 13, 2012 at 11:34 am

Andie! I was just thinking of you clicking away on your computer, rushing to finish up your book before Sunday and hoping you’ve gotten everything done that you needed to! Can’t wait to read the finished product…you really are one inspiring girlie! :)

Kate April 13, 2012 at 8:56 pm

No pressure. But I am giddy about this book. Your writing and journey are such inspirations to me and I am so excited for YOU!

Ana Maria April 14, 2012 at 5:09 pm

Will you come to Canada with this book? Specifically Toronto? Please say yes!
And GOOD LUCK! :D

Jacqui April 15, 2012 at 4:32 am

Good luck today! Can’t wait for the book! :D

Erica April 15, 2012 at 11:12 am

I’m so looking forward to your book, can’t wait to read it :)

francine April 15, 2012 at 5:32 pm

yay for you andie!! today’s the day! i hope you’re out celebrating!! :)

Kristin Friedersdorf April 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Hello from California! I hope you’re doing well. Good luck, you’re in the home stretch!

T April 18, 2012 at 7:36 am

By the time you read this, the book will be in! I can’t wait to buy a copy. I’m a loyal reader and I truly appreciate your positive messages. Thanks for working so hard for all of us. :)

Hillary April 18, 2012 at 12:27 pm

take care of yourself, love.

i’m sure your book is going to a motivational, inspirational read.

i hope by now you’ve celebrated finishing the manuscript… at least once, hopefully twice :)

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count April 19, 2012 at 3:59 am

How exciting for you about the book. I’m sure it will NOT be boring in spite of what the small furry person might think! ;-)

Susan April 19, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I hope you are well. I’m excited for you and I can’t wait to read your book!

AZJoy April 19, 2012 at 10:21 pm

I have to say that I blame you for my sleepless nights! I LOVE your blog! I am on a long journey, I weigh 277. I have lost 6 lbs so far and I have learned a few things. One, is that it is never about the food itself. Two, I love REAL food and dont want to go on a diet. Three, I do not need to apologize for not being what others think I should be. and four, It is ok to love good food, but the key is portion control. I am learning how to portion and hopefully I will get it together!!! Thanks so much for your blog and keep up the great work!!! LOVE!!!!!!!

Erin April 23, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I found your blog via Motley Mama and love your weight loss story. It’s so incredibly inspiring and I really commend you for writing a book about it! You’re a terrific inspiration!

peacelovedecor.com